ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 26th April 2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Thunder
Banned

Pork Flu Pandemic of 2009

I get naming rights!!!

So is this gonna be a bad one or what?

It doesn't seem to be killing more then .8%...so we may ride this one out pretty well.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 03:38 AM   #2
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
This is now in 5 different subforums.
Old 26th April 2009, 03:41 AM   #3
Megalodon
Illuminator

We saw a huge concerted effort to prevent SARS from becoming what was feared to be the next large pandemic. I would think the same effort will be applied to this situation.

It is serious, it will probably be efficiently contained, and it will probably make it into some stupid list of "media scares" in the future...

Megalodon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 03:42 AM   #4
Megalodon
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rika View Post
This is now in 5 different subforums.
OMG IT'S SPREADING!!!1!!

Megalodon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
OMG IT'S SPREADING!!!1!!
even worse, it has mutated from a Conspiracy theory, to a Health issue, to a Political issue!!!!!!

if it mutates again, & i catch it, will i grow knives out my fists???? laser eyes?

Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 03:55 AM   #6
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

.. Megalodon. Oh, it's the movie with The Line. Huh.

Back to the topic. WHO is announcing it's a major pandemic, possibly, so I imagine the CDC is on high alert.
Old 26th April 2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
I get naming rights!!!

So is this gonna be a bad one or what?

It doesn't seem to be killing more then .8%...so we may ride this one out pretty well.

You would get the naming rights if your nick was Porky, Parky.

Anyway: Why is this a political issue? I started a thread about it in current events:

Swine Flu outbreak
Oliver (Yesterday)
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 04:00 AM   #8
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Because it can be easily made into political hay. I'm waiting for this to hit the papers, personally.
Old 26th April 2009, 04:03 AM   #9
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rika View Post
Because it can be easily made into political hay. I'm waiting for this to hit the papers, personally.

I suspect it will take 3 weeks before someone in here makes political hay out of it.
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 04:07 AM   #10
Megalodon
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Anyway: Why is this a political issue? I started a thread about it in current events
Since you preemptively filled your thread with stupid, people felt compelled to avoid contact, and enforce a quarantine. Now please return there before you contaminate this thread.

Old 26th April 2009, 04:19 AM   #11
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
Since you preemptively filled your thread with stupid, people felt compelled to avoid contact, and enforce a quarantine. Now please return there before you contaminate this thread.

Too late.
Old 26th April 2009, 04:24 AM   #12
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
We saw a huge concerted effort to prevent SARS from becoming what was feared to be the next large pandemic. I would think the same effort will be applied to this situation.

It is serious, it will probably be efficiently contained, and it will probably make it into some stupid list of "media scares" in the future...
That's the ironic thing, in my eyes. When people see people get wound up with "hysteria" about some "overblown" problem, and they say we shouldn't waste effort solving it, they're forgetting that, say, SARS didn't become a huge killer not because it was overblown, but because we did "waste effort" solving it. Huge amounts of effort.
Old 26th April 2009, 05:07 AM   #13
linusrichard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
even worse, it has mutated from a Conspiracy theory, to a Health issue, to a Political issue!!!!!!

if it mutates again, & i catch it, will i grow knives out my fists???? laser eyes?
Knives in your eyes, and laser fists. Not quite as appealing.
linusrichard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 05:18 AM   #14
webfusion
Philosopher

What about the Jews and the Muslims, who avoid pork? Does that make them immune?
Just wonnerin'
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 06:16 AM   #15
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I think their lack of previous exposure would make them more susceptible.

I'm all for personal protection. I think I'll have bacon for breakfast, and Carnitas for lunch.

No, cancel the lunch. I'll try homeopathy on this epidemic. I'll just drive past the Mexican restaurant, and the mere smell of hot lard ought to vaccinate me.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 06:31 AM   #16
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
What about the Jews and the Muslims, who avoid pork? Does that make them immune?
Just wonnerin'

No:

Quote:
81 dead in Mexico as flu emergency goes global

Mexican officials are asking residents to refrain from kissing as a greeting and maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from each other amid concern over swine flu infection. Eighty-one deaths in Mexico are "likely linked" to the virus. In the U.S., 11 swine flu cases have been confirmed; and in New Zealand, 22 students and three teachers who traveled to Mexico may have been infected. full story

Personal notice for Sunday: No Muslim/Jew kissing for today after eating the spare rips.
Old 26th April 2009, 07:28 AM   #17
kallsop

If this continues, we might have to control who crosses our borders. With Soft Serve Neapolitan in charge, we've nothing to worry about.
kallsop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 10:28 AM   #18
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by kallsop View Post
If this continues, we might have to control who crosses our borders. With Soft Serve Neapolitan in charge, we've nothing to worry about.
You refer to a solution often called "closing the barn door after the horse ran away."

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 12:24 AM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
I suspect it will take 3 weeks before someone in here makes political hay out of it.
Hah! I wasn't going to start a political thread on this but since you liberal bashers felt the need.....

GOP Know-Nothings Fought Pandemic Preparedness
Quote:
When House Appropriations Committee chairman David Obey, the Wisconsin Democrat who has long championed investment in pandemic preparation, included roughly $900 million for that purpose in this year's emergency stimulus bill, he was ridiculed by conservative operatives and congressional Republicans. ...

...Now, as the World Health Organization says a deadly swine flu outbreak that apparently began in Mexico but has spread to the United States has the potential to develop into a pandemic, Obey's attempt to secure the money seems eerily prescient.

And his partisan attacks on his efforts seem not just creepy, but dangerous.

...Rove dismissed Obey's proposals as "disturbing" and "laden with new spending programs." He said the congressman was peddling a plan based on "deeply flawed assumptions."

Like what?

Rove specifically complained that Obey's proposal included "$462 million for the Centers for Disease Control, and $900 million for pandemic flu preparations."

This was wrong, the political operative charged, because the health care sector added jobs in 2008.

As bizarre as that criticism may sound -- especially now -- Rove's argument was picked up by House and Senate Republicans, who made it an essential message in their attacks on the legislation. Even as Rove and his compatriots argued that a stimulus bill should include initiatives designed to shore-up and maintain any recovery, they consistently, and loudly, objected to spending money to address the potentially devastating economic impact of a major public health emergency. .
So even if we don't see a lot of fatalities, and right now that is by no means certain, there will be economic disruptions that can hurt the economy. We're better off with planning for these contingencies than ignoring them.

And you guys are foolish to cite only "confirmed" case fatalities. That is not the scientific position. That's the 'make stats fit your argument' position. An epidemiologist would include "probable" case fatalities and define the criteria for a probable case to limit the number of non flu deaths in the count.

For example, if someone with an ILI (influenza like illness) who was a known contact of a confirmed case dies, that would be a probable case. Epidemiologists are not interested in the politics of counting cases, they are interested in the science of monitoring and responding to outbreaks. It doesn't serve them to ignore probable cases or count non-probable cases. It is not practical to confirm every case and it's dangerous to ignore probable cases.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th April 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 12:37 AM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningI've closed and moved this thread to the "S & CE" section. A thread already discussing it can be found here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=141099
Posted By:Darat

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events