ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th May 2009, 05:22 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

When did you choose to be heterosexual?

I was at my very aged mothers home one day when I overheard Rev Jimmy Swaggard say that we choose our sexual preferences. I'm straight but I never remember a time when I sat down and said to myself "hmmm I wonder which gender I want to be sexually attracted to"? Hey maybe I can have fun with my own gender? Nah I'll just go with most people and be attracted to women. Yup thats what I'm gonna do.

Did anyone in here choose who they want to be with? I didn't. My hormones kicked in and it was women all the way.
Old 7th May 2009, 05:40 AM   #2
GStan
Graduate Poster

Choose??? Maybe this should be moved to the Humor section.
Old 7th May 2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Um, I like girls, tried a boy, knew for sure I liked girls.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 06:08 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

On a college field trip I did try snogging a very attractive girl and we even went on to ...er... heavy petting but it just didn't turn me on so I have to admit it's a mystery to me why you straight blokes choose to have sex with females. I assume you were brainwashed by all these different-sex marriages that are forced on us?
Old 7th May 2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

I was 5. Watched an episode of Charlie's Angels. There was never a doubt from that day forward.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
On a college field trip I did try snogging a very attractive girl and we even went on to ...er... heavy petting but it just didn't turn me on so I have to admit it's a mystery to me why you straight blokes choose to have sex with females. I assume you were brainwashed by all these different-sex marriages that are forced on us?
On a serious note you didn't choose to be gay did you? It just happened didn't it? I mean there was never a time when you didn't care one way or another and say you know what? I think I'll just be gay. I didn't choose to be straight it just happened.
Old 7th May 2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Quite seriously - I can never remember a time since I learned to label certain feelings "sexual attraction" that they involved females. It's not that I find women physically revolting or even unattractive, some women are drop dead gorgeous but there is simply no sexual attraction.
Old 7th May 2009, 06:29 AM   #8
Personal Grudge
Thinker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Quite seriously - I can never remember a time since I learned to label certain feelings "sexual attraction" that they involved females. It's not that I find women physically revolting or even unattractive, some women are drop dead gorgeous but there is simply no sexual attraction.
I quite agree. From a heterosexual standpoint, I can still easily point out the men that I consider extremely handsome. However, there's no sexual response or urge involved. And I have no evidence that I ever made a decision to not be sexually attracted to the masculine gender.

Perhaps Jimmy Swaggard DID choose, however? Maybe he's hiding his homosexual urges, and instead chose to overcome his distaste for women?
Personal Grudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 06:59 AM   #9
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
I was 5. Watched an episode of Charlie's Angels. There was never a doubt from that day forward.
For me it was "The Secret of Isis".
Old 7th May 2009, 07:09 AM   #10
quarky
Banned

About the time the girls lost their cooties, I went hetero.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Georg
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
For me it was "The Secret of Isis".

Playing "you show me yours and I´ll show you mine" with two girls of the neighborhood (quite long before puberty) in a changing room of a swimming pool is the first memory still available.
Wouldn´t call it "choice" that I really liked it, though.
Georg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 07:16 AM   #12
Personal Grudge
Thinker

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
I think the girls lost their cooties long before I lost mine.

I went hetero as soon as the girls would start giving me the time of day. Until then, I was just as aspiring hetero
Personal Grudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 07:20 AM   #13
Cayvmann
Muse

Soon after I "chose" to breathe, I guess........
Cayvmann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 07:32 AM   #14
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

I think many parents want to believe it's a choice because that absolves them from feeling they are responsible for their child being gay. Even though being an out gay person is easier now then it was even 20 years ago, it can still be a difficult life, and that's something I think even the most open-minded parents want to avoid.
Old 7th May 2009, 09:13 AM   #15
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I recall getting crushes on girls back in first grade, and "feeling funny" when looking at my kindergarten teacher's nylon-clad thighs as she sang songs to us.

There's just nothing sexually attractive about a male's physique to me, nor is his face pretty; I don't long to stare into his limpid eyes.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody told me there was any choice available.
And it sure didn't feel like there was.

I was never given any choice about which side of the road to drive on either.
But that doesn't mean it's genetic.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Mod WarningBecause of the nature of this thread, it was going to get into problems with Rule 9 over in "Social Issues", so rather than try to mod all those posts I've moved it to "Community". We still have limits even here though, so don't take that as an invitation to go over the top.
Posted By:Tricky
Gee I wish this hadn't happened.
Old 7th May 2009, 12:26 PM   #18
boloboffin

I chose to be heterosexual several times in my late teens and early twenties. It never took, though.
boloboffin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 12:30 PM   #19
ravdin
Illuminator

I think I chose to be heterosexual in the 80s- right around the same time that Jimmy Swaggart chose to pick up prostitutes in motel parking lots.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 12:32 PM   #20
Wudang
BOFH

UK people of my age may understand - I was totally convinced I was heterosexual by Pan's People.
Old 7th May 2009, 12:52 PM   #21
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

I chose to be heterosexual once. Then I sobered up and chose back.
Old 7th May 2009, 01:01 PM   #22
El Greco
Summer worshipper

The decisive moment was when I stopped playing football with the guys in order to play dodgeball with that girl. I suspect this affected not only my sexuality but also my career.

El Greco is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 01:14 PM   #23
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Me neither. You raised a serious issue in the OP. A split would have been better, as it's natural for people to joke about things like this.
Old 7th May 2009, 01:52 PM   #24
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Like I said, I'm glad to see a few (three, I think?) gay people post their experiences on this thread. It seems that you, along with every exclusively gay person I've ever talked to, say you felt attracted to the same sex as long as they can remember feeling any kind of sexual or romantic attraction at all.

If Swaggart's claim were correct, that would mean all of you are lying.
Old 7th May 2009, 02:17 PM   #25
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

I don't remember ever having to "choose" to be heterosexual. It's not like I walked into a room and suddenly had to pick between a dude and a girl. It doesn't really work like that. For me, it was the factory setting. If circumstances or genetics had been different, then I might be different. But, I've never even had a moment where I looked at another guy and thought "Heyyy...ya know?" No. Never happened.

I enjoy curves and boobs, as if I - or anyone else for that matter - needs to justify what they enjoy in a partner no matter what their preferences are.
Old 7th May 2009, 02:59 PM   #26
Luciana
Skeptical Carioca

I fell irredeemably in love with a boy when I was 9. And that's how far I remember it.
Old 7th May 2009, 03:01 PM   #27
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

If you press a "homosexuality is a choice" type person with this argument, they will revert to something a little more logical, if stupid.

"homosexual behavior is a choice".

It's not so much that they think people choose to not be gay, it's that they think people that are gay should just not do anything about it. How very enlightened of them.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 03:17 PM   #28
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

Ever since I was, say, nine or ten years old, I can remember being about equally attracted to males and females. It came very naturally, and involved no choice. In fact, I had these "feelings" even before I knew that they were the same thing as "sexual attraction".
Old 7th May 2009, 03:17 PM   #29
Dogdoctor
Canis Doctorius

I never got a choice. Was I cheated? Can I get a refund somewhere?

Dogdoctor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 03:22 PM   #30
Dicon
is not a radish

My mom likes to tell a story about a time the family was gathered around the TV watching the Beverly Hillbillies. I must have been four or five at the time.

Mom (to me): "Would you like to have a granny like that?"

Me: "I'd like to have an Ellie May like that."

So, I guess that's when the switch was flipped.
Dicon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 03:42 PM   #31
IMST
If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats

As far as the real experience instead of the pith attempt above:

I remember being about 10 years old and deciding I wanted to be straight. I was aware of the difference at the time and 10 year old version of me didn't want to be gay. I remember being in my bedroom thinking "I hope I'm not". I didn't want the discrimination,
I didn't want the religious implications (xian household), I didn't want the social implications.

By this point in time, there were already ample signs in my thinking that should've tipped me off that I would, in fact, be gay, but I didn't have the ability to recognize this at the time.

Shortly thereafter, puberty hit. It happened young for me, I actually hit my adult height at age 13. All of the sudden, and before most all of my peers, I was a ball of hormones interested only in boys and for fully two more years, I still didn't get it. I didn't stare at girls, I didn't think about girls during (*ahem) personal time, and I didn't think I was gay.

I had a rough ride through middle school in general and very gradually coming to the realization that the continual barrage of homophobic slurs and jokes applied to me didn't help.

By late middle school or early high school I had finally admitted it to myself, but was rooted firmly in the closet. Instead of doing the more self destructive tactic of proving I wasn't by being the biggest homophobic piece of **** in the school, I took on left wing clubs and causes including the schools first attempt at something Gay-Straight-Alliance related, though there wasn't a single out person in it. I grew up just 6 miles from the rather liberal city of Seattle, but being on an island populated mostly by the rich that didn't want to be too accessible to the city made it effectively a non entity.

It took until college for me to be out to anyone else. I wish I had worked up the courage sooner. There was choice involved in that and it had a lot to do with the scared 5th grader that didn't want to have to accept it later.
Old 7th May 2009, 03:47 PM   #32
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

I think I knew when, while watching Gilligan's Island, I couldn't take my eyes off of Mary Ann.
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2009, 03:49 PM   #33
Cleon
King of the Pod People

The first time I met tkingdoll, I just knew that guys weren't for me.
Old 7th May 2009, 08:12 PM   #34
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

When did you choose to be heterosexual?
It wasn't a choice.
Quote:
I overheard Rev Jimmy Swaggard say that we choose our sexual preferences
Ah, I see, you give his utterances weight.

Care to buy a bridge from me near a major US city?

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2016, 10:35 PM   #35
Navigator
Philosopher

I don't remember any choice involved. Looking at how consciousness utilizes human form in order to continue to experience this universe, procreation is the way forward so choice or not, men and women having sex has been the manner of continuing that way forward...

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2016, 11:04 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What a coincidence: This is exactly what I said about being heterosexual.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2016, 11:10 PM   #37
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I was going to guess that I realized my orientation around age 10, but then remembered my thoughts about Emma Peel on the Avengers TV show, looked up the dates, and realized it must have been when I was a few years younger than 10.

I am very amused by the right wing concept that people choose their sexual orientation. I don't recall it ever being a choice for me. I can understand that there are a variety of orientations between the extremes, and that people may thus indulge in different aspects of their own specific orientation at different times. But to choose the orientation itself? Silly! Given my own brain chemistry, I really have trouble understanding why male bodies would be attractive sexually to anyone, especially women. All these years later I remain convinced my wife is faking her interest in mine.

Last edited by Giordano; 25th February 2016 at 11:18 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2016, 11:30 PM   #38
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
All these years later I remain convinced my wife is faking her interest in mine.
Oh yeah.

I'd be the biggest lezzer on the planet if I were a girl.
Old 25th February 2016, 11:32 PM   #39
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
*sniff*

A quarky post!

His legacy lives on.
Old 25th February 2016, 11:39 PM   #40
FenerFan
Illuminator

I had the same moment when I went to see "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" starring Caroline Munro. That, and falling in love with my third grade teacher Mrs. Miles.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events