ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st June 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
cresur
Scholar

Brazilian Nostradamus predicted Air France Crash (or so he claims)

Some of you might be familiar with Jucelino Nóbrega da Luz. So here is his supposed documentation for the recent accident.

I speak Portuguese, so I can tell that, unlike common predictions, it's pretty detailed stuff (time, day, specific kind of malfunction, etc). And it's all timestamped from different "reliable" public institutions (postal and notary offices). That's his MO, and how he 'proves' his various predictions (9/11, Saddam's whereabouts, etc).

It would be pretty impressive – if he ever publicly revealed any of that before anything happens. In his entire website there is no single prediction about the future; Only of things that already happened and he claims to have predicted, with his documents.

Well, props for him for going through the trouble of faking them so quickly.
cresur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2009, 09:12 PM   #2
oldhat
Muse

They have Texas Sharpshooters in Brazil, too?
oldhat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Even if it could be shown that such documentation was made prior to the actual event, it would not constitute proof of precognitive powers -- for the simple reason that the claimant might make a claim of an airplane disaster for every day of the year, and even one accounting for various geographic locales.

Then, at the opportune moment, the claimant produces the date-verified document that is pertinent to the specifics of the current tragedy, and declares himself a proven psychic.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2009, 09:50 PM   #4
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Beyond the almost certain fraud involved, I just have to say that this guy is a complete and utter scumbag. Either he is trying to make a name for himself based on 250 people falling into the ocean and dying or he actually has psychic powers and did nothing to try to prevent the same. In the former case he needs a sharp kick in the nuts, in the latter, he should be detested. Is there a crime for knowing something bad is going to happen and doing nothing, aside from knowing for your whole like what a piece of garbage you really are?
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2009, 09:59 PM   #5
cresur
Scholar

Jason, the documents presented contain letters supposedly sent to the administration of Air France, the French embassy, the Brazilian Civil Air agency and the Department of Defense, warning them of the accident.

He supposedly always sends letters to the people involved, even though as far as I know no one ever came forth with their own copy to back up his story.
cresur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by cresur View Post
Jason, the documents presented contain letters supposedly sent to the administration of Air France, the French embassy, the Brazilian Civil Air agency and the Department of Defense, warning them of the accident.

He supposedly always sends letters to the people involved, even though as far as I know no one ever came forth with their own copy to back up his story.
He could have sent a letter every day too. I work for another air company , and last i heard they receive 100's of such letters, mostly from people having a bad dreams, to a few insane people.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:03 AM   #7
cresur
Scholar

The plot thickens!

I just now realized that in the first letter, dated 10/16/2006, he also predicted that 'in may 2009, a military airplane would crash in Indonesia, killing over 100', and here's this specific prediction in a letter sent to some Indonesian radio station (?), along with a radio interview supposedly from 03/22/2009 where he confirms that prediction (in portuguese, though).

BUT, and here's where it gets interesting, he makes a couple predictions to the future I had missed earlier:

1. Sumatra Island will be shaked by an Earthquake of 6.0 in 20 (December) 20 of 2009 [?];

2. Some plane will fall somewhere in Africa at some point in December 2009.

I added those to my calendar. I wonder if I can use it to win the MDC?

Last edited by cresur; 2nd June 2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:06 AM   #8
oldhat
Muse

How many predictions has he made that haven't come true?
oldhat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:24 AM   #9
cresur
Scholar

Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
How many predictions has he made that haven't come true?
It's hard to tell because he only comes forth when something major happens. We only get glimpses of his misses in situations like that, when he makes a bunch of predictions. But as far I can tell, in that letter he predicted a cyclone in Bangladesh in May 2009 that never happened. That's a clear miss, I guess. Apparently there will also be a major drought in the US in 2015, but by then who will even remember anymore.

But he has a fail-safe disclaimer: he says the future is constantly changing, so we can act to save people, save the world, etc, and that is the point of his visions.
Old 2nd June 2009, 03:35 AM   #10
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

I speak Portuguese, so I can tell that, unlike common predictions, it's pretty detailed stuff (time, day, specific kind of malfunction, etc).
For those of us who can't read Portugese, what are the details he gives? As far as the specific malfunction goes, all news I've seen is still reporting that no-one has any idea what went wrong.

2. Some plane will fall somewhere in Africa at some point in December 2009.

I added those to my calendar. I wonder if I can use it to win the MDC?
According to here, Africa has had around 10 fatal plane crashes each year in the last decade. Predicting one to the nearest month is hardly big achievement.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2009, 07:55 AM   #11
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

I'd call this the Texas Shotgun Shooter's Fallacy.
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Mojo
Mostly harmless

But he has a fail-safe disclaimer: he says the future is constantly changing, so we can act to save people, save the world, etc, and that is the point of his visions.

Lucianarchy used to use that excuse as well:
Originally Posted by Lucianarchy View Post
Thankfully, the CIA, FBI, DIA, MI5 etc pre-empted any attack planned for the 4th August with the unprecedented heightened security on major Western targets.

In addition, on the 4th August, MI5 managed to arrest up to 12 terrorists in the UK who were planning an attack on Heathrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3537462.stm.

Like the 'Ladybrook' perception, it seems that attacks may not necessarily take place, they may be thwarted either bu intelligence tip-offs, or other action taken between the time of perception and the planned time of the attack. Obviously, the intelligence reports from the major agencies have proved that attacks were planned for this time, yet the correct application of intelligence can defeat terrorism if they act on all lines of communication.

I have percieved 19th September as another high risk window for similar attacks and hope and pray that the intelligence agancies agian act to thwart such an attack.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal