ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Iran election protests , Iran elections , iran politics

Old 15th June 2009, 08:08 PM   #1
ravdin
Illuminator

Set up a proxy for Iran citizens!

If you have geek skills, an extra machine, and an interest in undermining fascist censorship, please help! Here's how you can set up an anonymous proxy server to help Iranians bypass the Internet barriers:

Windows
Linux
Mac OS X

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Ducky

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
If you have geek skills, an extra machine, and an interest in undermining fascist censorship, please help! Here's how you can set up an anonymous proxy server to help Iranians bypass the Internet barriers:

Windows
Linux
Mac OS X
Um, no one in Iran has heard of Tor?
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2009, 10:28 PM   #3
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Windows
Linux
Mac OS X
Thanks, I'll pass it along. I know someone who can probably use this
Old 15th June 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Ducky

Ok some security concerns here, now that I have read this...

I see where they set trusted IPs incoming as what is presumably Iranian IPs, however I don't see where this proxy is anonymizing. IE: This doesn't seem to be distributed, you're providing direct 1:1 proxy for someone, and don't have much control over what they do.

This concerns me greatly. The point of Tor is that no one can be tracked back through the proxy, and the list of nodes is massive. This seems to me, on quick review, a process by which anyone tracking activity would see my IP and only if they followed up would notice a squid proxy running. This has legal implications for those in the US. Be forewarned of that. While I support the circumventing of oppressive censorship, I'm not sure I want to assume a legal liability to running an open proxy on this basis.

Why, exactly, has Tor not been suggested? This is already in place, already gets the Chinese folks around the great firewall of China, and is very effective. On top of that, I don't have to assume liability for use of tor nodes, since I don't know where the traffic comes from when I run it.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2009, 10:44 PM   #5
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
Ok some security concerns here, now that I have read this...

I see where they set trusted IPs incoming as what is presumably Iranian IPs, however I don't see where this proxy is anonymizing. IE: This doesn't seem to be distributed, you're providing direct 1:1 proxy for someone, and don't have much control over what they do.

This concerns me greatly. The point of Tor is that no one can be tracked back through the proxy, and the list of nodes is massive. This seems to me, on quick review, a process by which anyone tracking activity would see my IP and only if they followed up would notice a squid proxy running. This has legal implications for those in the US. Be forewarned of that. While I support the circumventing of oppressive censorship, I'm not sure I want to assume a legal liability to running an open proxy on this basis.

Why, exactly, has Tor not been suggested? This is already in place, already gets the Chinese folks around the great firewall of China, and is very effective. On top of that, I don't have to assume liability for use of tor nodes, since I don't know where the traffic comes from when I run it.
Agreed, there are some security concerns. These people are risking their lives, so I'm prepared to risk a little legal liability. If you would rather not, then don't.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Ducky

Agreed, there are some security concerns. These people are risking their lives, so I'm prepared to risk a little legal liability. If you would rather not, then don't.
You obviously miss my point. If you want to trust that an entire country now getting full internet access won't find CP somewhere on the net and it be tracked to your proxy, fine. Tor is an answer to do exactly what they want to do, it's in place, it works, and it protects those that run tor nodes by having the ability to deny knowledge as to where traffic comes from and what it is (the proxy can't tell much.)

As I said, I am all for helping circumvent oppressive censorship, but there is a smarter way to do this.

ETA: If I were an iranian government official and I wanted this to stop, all I would have to do is use the system to go get illegal content for those running the proxy and cause legal problems for these proxy owners. Tor stops that by only making the end point (which can be any point in the network) the only part that can be compromised, leaving thousands of other endpoints to use.

Ps: the cheap attempt at a guilt trip is obnoxious.

Last edited by Ducky; 15th June 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Ducky

Is there a link to the organizers of this, so we can make suggestions that will help them accomplish what they want to without running risks as they are? Or is it just the guy's blog who you linked to?
Old 15th June 2009, 11:08 PM   #8
ravdin
Illuminator

You obviously miss my point. If you want to trust that an entire country now getting full internet access won't find CP somewhere on the net and it be tracked to your proxy, fine. Tor is an answer to do exactly what they want to do, it's in place, it works, and it protects those that run tor nodes by having the ability to deny knowledge as to where traffic comes from and what it is (the proxy can't tell much.)

As I said, I am all for helping circumvent oppressive censorship, but there is a smarter way to do this.

ETA: If I were an iranian government official and I wanted this to stop, all I would have to do is use the system to go get illegal content for those running the proxy and cause legal problems for these proxy owners. Tor stops that by only making the end point (which can be any point in the network) the only part that can be compromised, leaving thousands of other endpoints to use.

Ps: the cheap attempt at a guilt trip is obnoxious.
The message came across wrong: no guilt trip was intended. You're right that someone could cause problems for me if my public server address were to fall into the wrong hands. I'm willing to take a risk with the anonymity. The proxy doesn't need to be up long, and I'm trying to make it easy on non-experts trying to get the word out under less than ideal circumstances.

Old 15th June 2009, 11:10 PM   #9
ravdin
Illuminator

Is there a link to the organizers of this, so we can make suggestions that will help them accomplish what they want to without running risks as they are? Or is it just the guy's blog who you linked to?
The blog has a comment section, if you want to contribute. You can also tweet the organizer (@austinheap).

Old 15th June 2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Ducky

The message came across wrong: no guilt trip was intended.
Fair enough, I'll try not to be thin skinned

To the rest: It has implications for the success of this, though. What I'm worried about isn't just your legal problems, it's the success of the movement in a sustainable way. Eventually this needs to move to a system (like tor) that can survive attacks on end points or it will fail.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:12 PM   #11
drainbread
Scholar

Why not tor?

Because it's dog slow, the idea is to let the Iranians get their stories out in a timely manner and tor can't really handle that, could you imagine uploading a 40+ MB vid to Youtube at 5-15 kb/s max?

Tor is great for getting information in an anonymous fashion(good or bad) but sucks at providing information to the rest of the interwebs.
drainbread is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Ducky

Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
Why not tor?

Because it's dog slow, the idea is to let the Iranians get their stories out in a timely manner and tor can't really handle that, could you imagine uploading a 40+ MB vid to Youtube at 5-15 kb/s max?

Tor is great for getting information in an anonymous fashion(good or bad) but sucks at providing information to the rest of the interwebs.
Ok the OP didn't mention what this is for. It said to help circumvent the firewalls, not that there is a timely immediate need for this.

You're right, Tor is slow. If you weren't trying to push large things out fast it would be the better answer. I was under the impression this was a generic need (like China's) and not a time-sensitive large-volume need.

That said, the risk is still there.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:16 PM   #13
ravdin
Illuminator

Fair enough, I'll try not to be thin skinned

To the rest: It has implications for the success of this, though. What I'm worried about isn't just your legal problems, it's the success of the movement in a sustainable way. Eventually this needs to move to a system (like tor) that can survive attacks on end points or it will fail.
That was my real concern- not that the mullahs will download CP, but that my proxy would be hit with DOS attacks. I see this as a temporary measure in any case- there's a short but critical window of opportunity for the uprising to work. I don't plan on keeping the proxy running for very long.

Old 15th June 2009, 11:20 PM   #14
Ducky

ravdin: I'm apparently not getting the full picture here (as evidenced by drainbred's post) can you detail what the specific need is here? My responses were under the assumption this was like helping the Chinese people get around the great wall, which is a general and sustained need. This appears more immediate, can you detail what the goals/technical needs are for me?

(ETA: Also what is going on. I have been face deep in a bash shell on a deadline for the past week or so and am totally out of touch.)

ETA2: Ok so apparently there's something between a riot and a revolution going on and some contention about a fixed election (color me unsurprised.) I assume then, that this is in place as a temporary measure to move large files (video, audio, pictures etc.) to blogs to document what's going on, not a suggestion to help subvert government oppression in a sustained and permanent way (like my example of China.)

In that case the security needs are still valid, however the time sensitive nature of what is going on may outweigh the issues and Tor may well indeed be completely ineffective for large volume traffic. I would, however, caution that a DDoS response either from sheer traffic pointed at your proxy, or in a way to cause you legal problems, is probably a real issue and should be mitigated. I'd love to suggest to the organizers a way to more quickly use a central registry to bring up more nodes and down ones attacked in the list. Who do I email these scripting ideas to (and they wouldn't take long to script with squid.)

Last edited by Ducky; 15th June 2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:35 PM   #15
ravdin
Illuminator

ravdin: I'm apparently not getting the full picture here (as evidenced by drainbred's post) can you detail what the specific need is here? My responses were under the assumption this was like helping the Chinese people get around the great wall, which is a general and sustained need. This appears more immediate, can you detail what the goals/technical needs are for me?

(ETA: Also what is going on. I have been face deep in a bash shell on a deadline for the past week or so and am totally out of touch.)
Ah! I forget this is not the Politics section.

Long story short: The Iranians recently held a fake "election" over the weekend. Even though the poll was a sham, there was an 85% turnout (compared to a 63% turnout with our last election in the USA). The current President, Mahmoud Ahmadinijad, was reportedly reelected in a landslide. The supposed results are highly dubious. A lot of angry protesters took to the streets today, even though the government imposed a ban. The police have been using live ammunition and beating protesters. There will certainly be more happening tomorrow.

Most significantly, the protesters have been using Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube to get the story out to the world. The regime is trying to block these sites, but they are failing miserably. Hence the call for proxy servers.

A bit more background:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8102224.stm
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/ (live blogging the revolution).

ETA: Going to bed now, so I may not respond to your next post for a while.

Last edited by ravdin; 15th June 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:37 PM   #16
Ducky

hahaha we cross posted.

Is there a central contact for this proxy movement?
Old 15th June 2009, 11:39 PM   #17
drainbread
Scholar

ETA2: Ok so apparently there's something between a riot and a revolution going on and some contention about a fixed election (color me unsurprised.) I assume then, that this is in place as a temporary measure to move large files (video, audio, pictures etc.) to blogs to document what's going on, not a suggestion to help subvert government oppression in a sustained and permanent way (like my example of China.)

In that case the security needs are still valid, however the time sensitive nature of what is going on may outweigh the issues and Tor may well indeed be completely ineffective for large volume traffic. I would, however, caution that a DDoS response either from sheer traffic pointed at your proxy, or in a way to cause you legal problems, is probably a real issue and should be mitigated. I'd love to suggest to the organizers a way to more quickly use a central registry to bring up more nodes and down ones attacked in the list. Who do I email these scripting ideas to (and they wouldn't take long to script with squid.)
It's is like a mirror image of the China situation where as people in China can't get information the people in Iran can't release information.
drainbread is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2009, 11:41 PM   #18
ravdin
Illuminator

hahaha we cross posted.

Is there a central contact for this proxy movement?
me@austinheap.com. So far, the only person who has my proxy address- so I hope he is reliable.

Old 15th June 2009, 11:47 PM   #19
Ducky

me@austinheap.com. So far, the only person who has my proxy address- so I hope he is reliable.
Thanks. I'll contact and see how things are handled and if there's a way I can help.
Old 16th June 2009, 12:00 AM   #20
Ducky

Sent the following:

Quote:
Hi,

I'm a unix admin and have some questions before I throw up a proxy service for this cause.

I'm confused as to why these proxies are being set up in the manner they are, since Tor exists and is much less of a security risk for those running the node. I'll explain: If the Iranian government wises up slightly, in the set up I'm reading about that you have created, all they would need to do is point massive traffic at nodes to down them or more deviously use them to hit child porn and cause legal issues for the proxy owners. Tor exists to not only protect the end user, but all those running nodes on their network by not only encrypting the data but not allowing (within reason) node admins to see where the traffic comes from. This means an attack on an endpoint is not detrimental to the network as a whole. In the model you've created it would seem anyone running this is vulnerable to a myraid of legal and technical problems.

Also, I am curious how the central registry for this list of nodes is handled (which is automatic on Tor) and whether there is fast ability to manipulate network traffic to and from specific nodes in case of attack. Since your system doesn't seem to have much redundancy this could be an issue, but again, I'm not privy to how you're handling the central registry.

The install for tor is pretty easy, by the way. You can find info at:

http://www.torproject.org/

Install instructions for linux, mac and windows.

The drawback is this: Tor is pretty damned slow compared to a straight proxy. If you're trying to move things at lightning speed (which may or may not be a reasonable goal in this situation) Tor isn't the answer.

So I guess the questions is: Why not tor, and if not tor how can I help build some bulletproofing and security into the system you have in place so that we also are not subject to legal and technical problems? I'm happy to script some configs that would involve ssl connections and central registry, etc if I can...
Old 16th June 2009, 07:30 AM   #21
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

From what I'm seeing on the news it's looking like things are degenerating fast and there may very well be a government toppling revolution happening in Iran that is being organized largely on the internet. Would this be the first time something like this has happened?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 07:54 AM   #22
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
From what I'm seeing on the news it's looking like things are degenerating fast and there may very well be a government toppling revolution happening in Iran that is being organized largely on the internet. Would this be the first time something like this has happened?
I think so. If the Chinese student protesters in Tianeman (sp?) Square had Twitter back in 1989, things may have gone differently.
Old 16th June 2009, 11:33 AM   #23
GreNME
Philosopher

There are people calling for anyone with a twitter account to change their location to Tehran and their time to +3:30 GMT in order to throw off government searches for Iranian students who are tweeting.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 12:03 PM   #24
ravdin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GreNME View Post
There are people calling for anyone with a twitter account to change their location to Tehran and their time to +3:30 GMT in order to throw off government searches for Iranian students who are tweeting.
Already done.

Old 16th June 2009, 12:19 PM   #25
Ashles
Pith Artist

Done.
Old 16th June 2009, 12:21 PM   #26
realpaladin
Master Poster

4 Tor nodes fired up as well as having had good 'talks' with 'friendly' sysadmins.
realpaladin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 04:27 PM   #27
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

I'm blogging about this right now, so as to spread the word as widely as possible.
Old 16th June 2009, 07:59 PM   #28
boloboffin

I've done the Twitter change too.
boloboffin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 08:54 PM   #29
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Done.
Old 17th June 2009, 08:46 AM   #30
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't that be lying?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2009, 09:13 AM   #31
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Wouldn't that be lying?
Yes, and I don't care.

I signed up on Twitter last night just to do this.
Old 17th June 2009, 04:13 PM   #32
ravdin
Illuminator

Done here as well. Hey, you never know!

Old 17th June 2009, 04:36 PM   #33
Ducky

I have yet to receive a reply from the guy I emailed re: proxy servers.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:41 AM   #34
GreNME
Philosopher

Wouldn't that be lying?
Right, because no one ever lies on the intarwebs.

Honestly, at this point, if the choice is between a small lie and someone getting tracked down and kidnapped or killed-- I kid you not, people are being taken from dorms, from hospitals, and from public places-- you can bet your patootie that I'll sing a song so sweet yet untrue.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2009, 11:43 AM   #35
GreNME
Philosopher

I have yet to receive a reply from the guy I emailed re: proxy servers.
If it helps, you should know that there are now also several Tor proxies being used out there right now along with all the rest. At this point people are using whatever possible method they can to get messages out, because the windows for people to send out any information is getting smaller and smaller due to crackdowns.

As to a lack of reply to your e-mail, the guy could just be paranoid or very busy (or both).

Old 18th June 2009, 11:52 AM   #36
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

Kudos to all of you for making this effort.
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2009, 02:23 AM   #37
Ducky

If it helps, you should know that there are now also several Tor proxies being used out there right now along with all the rest. At this point people are using whatever possible method they can to get messages out, because the windows for people to send out any information is getting smaller and smaller due to crackdowns.

As to a lack of reply to your e-mail, the guy could just be paranoid or very busy (or both).
I am pretty scary...

...After all I count in binary. With my fists.
Old 19th June 2009, 08:55 AM   #38
GreNME
Philosopher

That's certainly scary. I wouldn't eff wit' ya.

Note to proxy-ers: a few people running proxies have reported being harassed and threatened. While the risk isn't as great as it is to those in Iran, be aware of the risks.

Old 19th June 2009, 01:00 PM   #39
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Wouldn't that be lying?
Yes. What's your point?
Old 19th June 2009, 01:18 PM   #40
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

I'm twittering from "Tehran" now. Should we perhaps write pretend twits, like "nice fallafel for lunch today"?
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet