ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags sylvia browne

Old 16th June 2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Sylvia Browne useless again: Bryan Smith

Quote:
DATELINE BRUNSWICK; Mom asks sheriff to listen to psychic
Star-News (Wilmington, NC)
Wednesday, January 28, 1998
Author: DIANA D'ABRUZZO, Staff writer

Grasping for clues in her son's unsolved murder , Lou Smith turned to a talk show psychic last month.

Now she's trying to get the Brunswick County Sheriff's Department to act on the psychic's tips.

Ms. Smith's son, Bryan Keith Smith, was found dead more than three years ago in Brunswick County. Detectives continue to come up empty-handed.

Taking the matter into her own hands, Ms. Smith flew to New York in December to appear on The Montel Williams Show for a segment on unsolved murders . The episode is scheduled to air at 3 p.m. Friday on NBC.

Sylvia Browne , a woman who claims to be psychic and regularly makes talk show appearances, talked to Ms. Smith and Bryan's twin brother, Marion, on and off air and gave her own answers to some of the Smiths' burning questions.

''She gave us names and identities and even information on where it happened,'' said Ms. Smith, who didn't elaborate on details. ''We took it all to the Sheriff's Department. I hope they're going to follow these leads.''
Bryan Smith's decomposed body was found May 8, 1994, in Town Creek with a slit throat. The 20-year-old was last seen seven days earlier, talking to a British sailor in front of the Barbary Coast bar in downtown Wilmington. The British naval ship HMS Endurance was docked in Wilmington at the time.

Ms. Browne told the family that the answers to the murder lie on that British ship, Ms. Smith said. The psychic believes the murder happened after Bryan rejected a woman from the ship, she said.

Ms. Browne couldn't give a name of the ''rejected woman'' but described her. The description matched that of a female British sailor Marion met days before Bryan disappeared. Marion met the woman through his brother, Ms. Smith said.

Ms. Browne also gave Ms. Smith names of those on the ship who may be connected to the murder .
''I would like to see Brunswick County Sheriff's Department get out and do something and solve these cases that are solvable,'' Ms. Smith said. ''They can solve this. They have these leads, and they need to work them.''
Full article: Source

Clearly, Browne's answers were no good as two years later:

Quote:
15 Brunswick murders still unsolved
Star-News (Wilmington, NC) - Monday, August 14, 2000
Author: CECE VON KOLNITZ, Staff Writer

Sometimes when Lou Smith visits her son's final resting place in Oleander Cemetery, she finds golf balls or a little skateboard at his grave.

One friend leaves a single red rose almost every holiday.

Bryan Keith Smith would have been 27 years old this month, but he was stabbed and his throat was slit in 1994 . The athletic 20-year-old, who shared an apartment with his twin brother in Wilmington, was found dead May 8 , 1994 , in Town Creek in Brunswick County.

On one visit to the cemetery, Bryan's mother wrote some of her feelings about the death down on a scrap of paper.

"I cannot always face the truth of my son's murder. It's so much easier to pretend that he will soon come home to me, and yet I know so much the son I loved has died, and in such a brutal manner.

"Reality is cruel and harsh, but cannot be denied. My soul is struggling for answers and asks the public for help," Ms. Smith wrote.

Bryan's death is one of at least 15 unsolved murder cases in Brunswick County that date back to 1974. It is one of hundreds in the state. To detectives at the Brunswick County Sheriff's Department, his case is also one of the most frustrating mysteries.
Anyone with information on these or other murders in Brunswick County should call the Sheriff's Department at 1 (800) 672-6379. In many cases, including the shooting death of Melvin Robinson, rewards are being offered.
Full article: Source
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 01:11 PM   #2
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

This is a very old one, QG. I was one of the first this forum discovered when we realized what a resource on Browne Lexis Nexis is.

Jackalgirl was the one who found it- there's still a thread on it.

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal