ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags eric hovind , felony , kent hovind , prison , tax evasion

Old 26th June 2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Kent Hovind's wife gets a week vacation from prison?

Kent Hovind's wife was found guilty of 44 felonies and sentenced to one year in prison in 2007. She started serving that one year sentence in Jan. 2009 after the Hovinds' last appeal was denied.

After six months, according to the Hovinds' son (current operator of the business), Eric:

Originally Posted by Eric Hovind
Just picked up my Mom from prison! She gets to come home for one week. Then back to prison for another three months.
Now usually I'd need another source before repeating anything a Hovind says as fact, but he posted a picture of his mother hugging and with family purportedly outside the prison. The Federal Bureau of Prisons website's inmate finder (she's #06453-017) has her listed as being in Marianna Federal Correctional Prison until December 3, 2009.

If Eric Hovind is telling the truth, as the picture seems to validate, when did Federal Bureau of Prisons let prisoners/felons take vacations?
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Nosi
Master Poster

Different standards for criminals with connections vs criminals without connections. You understand...
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Improbable Joe
Thinker

Different laws for rich folks.
Improbable Joe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2009, 10:34 PM   #4
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Oh no, furlough from prison exists. Usually some sort of work release arrangement.

One guesses that's what is going on here...

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2009, 03:41 AM   #5
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
Oh no, furlough from prison exists. Usually some sort of work release arrangement.

One guesses that's what is going on here...
And as a white color criminal who is not a flight risk with a short sentance it would not be suprising to see her have it.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2009, 03:57 AM   #6
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And as a white color criminal who is not a flight risk with a short sentance it would not be suprising to see her have it.
I guessed you meant "collar"... then I changed my mind.
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Eric's recent tweets:

Just said good bye to mom for another 3 months.
11:20 AM Jul 2nd from txt

Taking my mom back to Prison. Tough day.
9:31 AM Jul 2nd from txt

Still editing Beginnings with the team. 5 more weeks till the project has to be done for production.
7:47 AM Jul 1st from txt
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Questioninggeller View Post
Eric's recent tweets:
Awwwwwwww... Poor baby. I bet if Eric prays to his sky tyrant hard enough maybe Magic Jesus will bring them a communion wafer with a file in it!

I have no sympathy for this brood of Bible-humping whack jobs. None what so ever. May both of Eric's CRIMINAL parents rot in jail and here's hopin' they become prison rape statistics!
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"

Last edited by Achán hiNidráne; 3rd July 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Originally Posted by Mark A. Siefert View Post
Awwwwwwww... Poor baby. I bet if Eric prays to his sky tyrant hard enough maybe Magic Jesus will bring them a communion wafer with a file in it!

I have no sympathy for this brood of Bible-humping whack jobs. None what so ever. May both of Eric's CRIMINAL parents rot in jail and here's hopin' they become prison rape statistics!
That is uncharitable and unethical. Wishing physical and mental harm upon another, regardless of who they are and what their crimes are is an immoral act, and should be beneath us as skeptics. Statements like that simply provide ammunition to those who would paint us as evil.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:09 PM   #10
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
That is uncharitable and unethical. Wishing physical and mental harm upon another, regardless of who they are and what their crimes are is an immoral act, and should be beneath us as skeptics. Statements like that simply provide ammunition to those who would paint us as evil.
Exactly how is wishing anything ever ethical or unethical? Wishes don't actaully do anything, after all.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Exactly how is wishing anything ever ethical or unethical? Wishes don't actaully do anything, after all.
Perhaps the wishing isn't, but the stating is.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:26 PM   #12
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
We are in a war. At stake is the very future civilization and who will get to run it (i.e. those who accept reality against those who embrace fantasy) and you're upset that I wish that a slimy little Bible-beater and his equally repugnant wife are deservedly abused by their cellmates?

Nice to see that the skeptical movement has its priorities straight.

I don't care what the religionists think of us because it will always be negative no matter how milquetoast and "understanding" ("Understanding?" What the **** is there to "understand?")we act in the name of the false virtue of "civility." Besides lying about the nature or reality, they wish to impose a totalitarian order that would see you, me, and anyone else who doesn't bow down and worship their God in line for the gallows.

Tell me again, WHY should I respect these would-be tyrants?
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2009, 01:01 AM   #13
Nosi
Master Poster

Quote:
Holy filesharing?

Last edited by Nosi; 4th July 2009 at 01:04 AM. Reason: quote didn't turn up
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

If you think Eric's post is an attempt to get sympathy from internet views, here's Kent Hovind recent blog posting with God proving that after two years in prison Hovind still can't accept he was wrong:

Originally Posted by Kent Hovind
June 30, 2009
Knee-Mail: A Word Fitly Spoken
Sent: January 16, 2009
To: God

GOD: I always do, Son. I keep telling you I’ve got everything under control and not to worry, but you forget so easily! That’s why I had “fear not” in My Word 365 times. You’ve got one for every day. I also know that you are weak, human, and easily discouraged (Job 23:10; Ps. 1:6, 37:18, 44:21, 94:11, 103:14; Mt 6:8, 32; Rom. 8:27; 1 Cor. 3:20) so I will send a small taste of what is coming once in a while.
Your race is not over yet, and you could still stumble and fall before the finish line (1 Cor. 9:24, 27; Heb. 12:1), but it’s good to see a little of the fruit you are going to reap.
KH: Thanks, Lord, those four letters I got last night were so helpful. I was pretty down. It was my birthday, and I was getting discouraged again. My wife is scheduled to report to prison on Tuesday at noon. She’s terrorized, Lord, and I’m powerless to help her or comfort her. I haven’t seen her or hugged her for 13 months. They are still trying to seize the church ministry property and I was having a mini pity-party like John the Baptist did when he was in prison (Mt. 11:3). He wondered if his ministry had done any good.
I’m sorry, Lord. This has been the hardest test I’ve ever taken, and I was wondering if I was doing any good for Your Kingdom. Then, I got the mail. It’s amazing what a good encouraging word can do. Edee is 84 and writes me every week. What a blessing she has been to me. She writes to lots of other prisoners, too. Please bless her greatly, Lord.
GOD: Oh, I will, Son!
KH: That card from that Russian youth group that has seen my videos made me cry. There were signatures from 48 kids that had their lives changed and their faith in Your Word strengthened. Knowing that they are praying for me is a great help! I have wished a thousand times that I had heard the truth about Your creation when I was a teen. The evolution teaching caused me so many doubts, and for kids raised under communism it’s even worse! Thanks for letting those DVDs change Russian teens’ lives and…thanks for letting me find out about it down here. I doubt they know how much their little word of encouragement meant to me. Please bless them, Lord.
Old 5th July 2009, 07:08 AM   #15
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

We are in a war. At stake is the very future civilization and who will get to run it (i.e. those who accept reality against those who embrace fantasy) and you're upset that I wish that a slimy little Bible-beater and his equally repugnant wife are deservedly abused by their cellmates?

Nice to see that the skeptical movement has its priorities straight.

I don't care what the religionists think of us because it will always be negative no matter how milquetoast and "understanding" ("Understanding?" What the **** is there to "understand?")we act in the name of the false virtue of "civility." Besides lying about the nature or reality, they wish to impose a totalitarian order that would see you, me, and anyone else who doesn't bow down and worship their God in line for the gallows.

Tell me again, WHY should I respect these would-be tyrants?
I'm sorry, where in my post did I ask you to respect anyone? What I said was by making immoral statements, like saying you wish harm upon another, you are handing our opponents ammunition in their fight against us. Hardly a winning strategy in a war, I would say.

Old 24th August 2009, 07:49 PM   #16
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Here's what daughter Marlissa Hovind wrote:

Originally Posted by Marlissa Hovind
Kent & Jo Hovind - Missionaries behind bars

8/7/2009
Dear Family & Friends:

This part of my Mom's letter is regarding her Half Way house option:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Jo Hovind
As of now, the BOP has ordered that I will report to a Half Way House in Pensacola on October 1st, and will be there for two months. You are required to find employment and work during your time at the Half Way House. This correctional facility houses inmates of all levels of crimes and custody who are returning to society – both men and women. You pay 25% of your income to rent your bed at the Half Way House. The actual days that you spend there, however, are determined by your probation officer and the officers at the Half Way House. Sometimes, if you have found employment, are paying your Half Way House rent, and your other court fees and restitution are paid, the officers may determine that you may go home early. However, you must still pay 25% of your income to the Half Way House for the amount of time that you are slated to go there.

I am praying for my probation officer, whoever he or she may be, that God will touch their heart, and that I will be allowed to leave the Half Way House early. ...
Full: Source
Old 1st October 2009, 12:44 PM   #17
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Granny Jo is out of the slammer

According to Eric Hovind's twitter account:

Just picked up my mom from prison!!!!!!! Taking her home now!!!!! Praise God!

October 1, 2009
Is it just me or does the "praise God" part seem a little silly in that context? I mean she was convicted of dozens of felonies, and didn't even bother to present a defense.

According to the Hovind Crime Family's other posts, Jo Hovind is now headed for a halfway house.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal