ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th May 2012, 11:20 PM   #441
bluescat48
Student

Vinnie Vincent, the name is somewhat familiar, but I can't place him.
bluescat48 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 02:35 AM   #442
Belz...
Fiend God

What ? No Japanese guitarists ?

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 04:46 AM   #443
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Akira Takasaki
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 12:11 PM   #444
Dogdoctor
Canis Doctorius

Joe Bonamassa and Freddie king (from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame awards)

Dogdoctor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2012, 04:04 PM   #445
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Manitas de Plata - flamenco/gypsy, 1950s and 1960s, France and Spain
xterra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 04:45 AM   #446
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Akira Takasaki
Hizaki. Don't let the rococo dress fool you.

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 06:49 AM   #447
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Like Ryo Kawasaki? Old school to the max. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEhARssnmNU

Or did you mean these guys?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWwM2wwMww

Last edited by crimresearch; 8th May 2012 at 06:55 AM.
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 09:07 AM   #448
Dcdrac
Philosopher

in my dreams....ME.......I can just about play Smoke on the Water and a few Black Sabbath Riffs.

Seriosuly folks I would say a toss up between Jimmy Page, Johnnie Winters, Jeff Beck and Richie Blackmore a close runner up
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 10:18 AM   #449
ezanker
New Blood

from brazil:
Yamandu Costa
Rafael Rabello

from france:
Biréli Lagrène

obscure to most rock fans, but not within their genres.
ezanker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2012, 01:20 PM   #450
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

I mentioned Kazuhito Yamashita. When I first heard his transcription of Pictures At An Exhibition for solo guitar, my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe that what I was hearing was being playing by just one person.
Old 8th May 2012, 03:09 PM   #451
crimresearch
Alumbrado

Originally Posted by Psi Baba View Post
I mentioned Kazuhito Yamashita. When I first heard his transcription of Pictures At An Exhibition for solo guitar, my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe that what I was hearing was being playing by just one person.
Yeah, he certainly knows all 4 chords...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLrFx...eature=related
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2014, 08:47 AM   #452
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Michael Karoli of Can
Old 31st March 2014, 12:46 PM   #453
turingtest
Graduate Poster

Location: where the moon don't move the tides to wash me clean
I have no idea if he's been mentioned here in 12 pages of discussion (and my Internet connection is running too slow today for me to go back and see), but I have just got to throw out the name of Ewan Dobson.

Last edited by turingtest; 31st March 2014 at 12:47 PM.
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2014, 04:00 PM   #454
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by bluescat48 View Post
Vinnie Vincent, the name is somewhat familiar, but I can't place him.
He played with Kiss around the time they took off their make up (Lick It Up, 1983). He had a solo band (The Vinnie Vincent Invasion) that spawned the 80's group Slaughter.

Not sure if they've been mentioned yet, but I have always liked Eric Johnson and Tony MacAlpine. Great talents!
Monza is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2014, 04:34 PM   #455
Ts4EVER
Thinker

Muhammed Suiçmez of Necrophagist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CSx0o7qAHs
Ts4EVER is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2014, 04:34 PM   #456
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Ana Vidovic

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2014, 08:39 PM   #457
michael44
Critical Thinker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga9syqgXrMQ
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2014, 10:26 PM   #458
stanfr
Muse

Ive been a guitarist for 30+ yrs and have 5 albums out. Ive studied with Robben Ford, a student of John Williams, Martin Simpson, and also took lessons from John Petrucci. I have thousands of influences, but if i were pressed for the top few id say
1) Danny Gatton 2) Shawn Lane and Buckethead (always saw them at the same shows...) 3) Satriani
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2014, 10:29 PM   #459
stanfr
Muse

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
He played with Kiss around the time they took off their make up (Lick It Up, 1983). He had a solo band (The Vinnie Vincent Invasion) that spawned the 80's group Slaughter.

Not sure if they've been mentioned yet, but I have always liked Eric Johnson and Tony MacAlpine. Great talents!
Ive seen Eric at least a dozen times--he's a monster! I remember when Tony first came out. I went to see him play at a show on LI and he didnt show up. Boy was i mad! But Larry Mitchell was there and so he played a full set which was awesome. Larry is a producer in NM now and he is definitely a relatively unknown but right up there with the best (also a super nice guy!)
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2014, 01:24 PM   #460
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Ive seen Eric at least a dozen times--he's a monster! I remember when Tony first came out. I went to see him play at a show on LI and he didnt show up. Boy was i mad! But Larry Mitchell was there and so he played a full set which was awesome. Larry is a producer in NM now and he is definitely a relatively unknown but right up there with the best (also a super nice guy!)

I haven't heard of Larry Mitchell. I'll have to look him up, seeing as you obviously have great taste in music.
Monza is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts