ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th July 2009, 09:53 AM   #241
DC
Banned

Originally Posted by empeake View Post
You probably overlooked The Great Kat (Katherine Thomas), the "High Priestess of Shred Guitar". She's crazy, and not everyone's cup of tea, but what she can do with a guitar is amazing.

A couple of examples:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
reminds me of Slash, he also went on stage only in underwear
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2009, 10:59 AM   #242
Southwind17
Illuminator

You probably overlooked The Great Kat (Katherine Thomas), the "High Priestess of Shred Guitar". She's crazy, and not everyone's cup of tea, but what she can do with a guitar is amazing.
Sorry - not impressed, cup of tea or otherwise. Does she even deviate from the high E-string in that first clip?!

No offence, but you're obviously easily amazed - I take it you don't play?!
Old 13th July 2009, 05:34 PM   #243
empeake
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Southwind17 View Post
I take it you don't play?!

No, I don't.

No offence, but you're obviously easily amazed.

None taken, but I find solace in knowing that I am not the only tone-deaf, musically-challenged person that thinks she is quite good with a guitar (link).
Old 13th July 2009, 11:26 PM   #244
Ove
Master Poster

No, I don't.

None taken, but I find solace in knowing that I am not the only tone-deaf, musically-challenged person that thinks she is quite good with a guitar (link).
Well she doesn't impress me either, it is NOT very difficult the stuf she makes and her sound is horrible. Look at this clip:

I AGREE

a very young kid that can shred-tap and generally play a mean guitar much better.

Personally i must add that speed doesn't impress me and i am definitely not a fan of "shredders", i like a guitarplayer that can put FEELING into a solo, like BB King, Clapton and others. The best soloes are often the simplest. If you listen to one of the most famous soloes in the world: Richies solo in "Smoke on the Water" from "Made in Japan" you can allmost whistle the solo. THAT is genious.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:35 PM   #245
Southwind17
Illuminator

Unfortunately this linked website is Government blocked in the country where I currently reside. I'm therefore intrugued. Hints please!
Old 13th July 2009, 11:42 PM   #246
Ove
Master Poster

Unfortunately this linked website is Government blocked in the country where I currently reside. I'm therefore intrugued. Hints please!
Her own website with rewiews like theese:

-"50 FASTEST GUITARISTS OF ALL TIME" - Guitar World Magazine
-"TOP 10 FASTEST SHREDDERS OF ALL TIME" - Guitar One Magazine
-"THE 100 WILDEST GUITAR HEROES" - Classic Rock Magazine

"The Great Kat should be feared because her hyper-blasting, neo-classical, whirlwind guitar playing is so precise and intense. This woman really is a better guitarist than most men ever were. Beethoven’s Guitar Shred DVD is a portable clinic of seemingly inhuman guitar antics. Dominating torture, blood, fire, anti-terrorist sentiments – all wrapped in an oddly tasteful, hyper-classical visual feast."
Mark Morton
Heavy Metal Examiner

"Move over, Jamie Foxx. The Soloist's insanely genius Juilliard apprentice is up against some formidable competition, and she's female. The Great Kat is basically showing the male competition how it's done, better and faster. Her raging, fast forward in real time Beethoven's Guitar Shred is like nothing that has come before. A mix 'n match medley of Beethoven, Bach, Abu Ghraib and Islamic insurgency. A classical/metal lovers everywhere wakeup call, these mini-musicals for guitar, violin and machete could very well blow your mind."
Prairie Miller
NewsBlaze

ED: Why on earth do they block a site like that???????
Old 13th July 2009, 11:45 PM   #247
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dictator Cheney View Post
did i miss any important ones? (Technically good Players, music style doesnt matter, i also listed Steve Vai ))
Hundreds

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2009, 11:51 PM   #248
Southwind17
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ove View Post
Beats me, but given what you've extracted (thanks) only BS springs to mind!
Old 14th July 2009, 12:19 AM   #249
Ove
Master Poster

Beats me, but given what you've extracted (thanks) only BS springs to mind!
Well ok, there are a lot of pictures of her in various SM style underwear in there, not my kink (black leather and blood) but i suppose that some might be aroused by them Perhaps that is the explanation.?
Old 14th July 2009, 02:11 AM   #250
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by ugot2bekidding View Post
How much of this is just musical peridolia? Even the most 'blatant' sounding example from above, Stairway/Taurus, just shares a descending base line, but the two songs are completely different.

Also, it's normal to have influences, and I think Page, perhaps due to his stature, gets unfairly scrutinized for it. It doesn't take away from the incredible scope of his vision, imo.

Page 'ripping off' Blues players doesn't hold water...many Blues songs use the same chord progressions...guess they all rip each other off then.

'Moby Dick' rip off according to your list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWyFo_KK0gg

Here's a better one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvtabNAb_wE

Here's The Allman Brothers playing the same Blues 'standard', if you will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIY8CoMILgU

In closing, I'm not saying he never ripped anyone off (Dazed And Confused comes to mind), I'm just saying it's gotten blown out of porportion.

ps: some of my favorite Zep songs are not on that list...The Rain Song, Four Sticks, Over The Hills And Far Away, The Immigrent Song, Tangerine, Misty Mountain Hop, The Ocean, Going to California, Black Dog, etc., etc, etc.
A second rate band in my opinion.It was my misfortune to see their first major outing at the Bath festival in 1970,and I was not impressed.John Bonham sounding like an explosion in a boiler factory,Page running up and down some blues scales,Plant caterwauling like a petulant child screaming for a lollipop.John Paul Jones was the only musician in the group.Over amped bombastic nonsense.I was amazed when they became so popular.Later that day Johnny Winter came out and wiped the floor with them,I never forgave Page for ripping off Balckwaterside from Bert Jansch,renaming it Blackmountainsideand then murdering it into the bargain.They commited songicide on many occasions,what they did to Charlie Patton's Moon Going Down was a sin.Don't give me that crap about blues standards,when the Stones recorded You Gotta Move they made sure that Fred McDowell's widow got the money.Jagger and Richards were scrupulous about sources and royalties.It took years for Willie Dixon's widow to get the money for Whole Lotta Love,original title You Need Loving,a nice song on an old Muddy Waters album which they stole and commited murder on again.There are more cases.Stop making excuses for those two thieving bastards.Anyway I'm surprised to hear someone on this forum defend a man like Page who believes that Alistair Crowley possesed occult powers.

Last edited by dafydd; 14th July 2009 at 02:12 AM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 02:29 AM   #251
Georg
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
snip

Anyway I'm surprised to hear someone on this forum defend a man like Page who believes that Alistair Crowley possesed occult powers.

Which has to do with his skills as a guitar player exactly what?
I do not like him too much as a player myself, but I do not understand your argument.
Georg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 02:34 AM   #252
DC
Banned

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Hundreds
seems not to be hundrets,
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 05:43 AM   #253
leonAzul
Illuminator

Andre "Dadou" Pasquet
Cornell Dupree
Diblo Dibala
Eddie Hazel
Felicia Michele Collins
François "Franco" Luambo Makiadi
Jimmy Ponder
John Abercrombie
Larry Coryel
Philippe "Toto" Laraque
Steve Cropper
Old 14th July 2009, 05:57 AM   #254
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

"The Great Kat should be feared because her hyper-blasting, neo-classical, whirlwind guitar playing is so precise and intense. This woman really is a better guitarist than most men ever were. Beethoven’s Guitar Shred DVD is a portable clinic of seemingly inhuman guitar antics. Dominating torture, blood, fire, anti-terrorist sentiments – all wrapped in an oddly tasteful, hyper-classical visual feast."
Mark Morton
Heavy Metal Examiner

"Move over, Jamie Foxx. The Soloist's insanely genius Juilliard apprentice is up against some formidable competition, and she's female. The Great Kat is basically showing the male competition how it's done, better and faster. Her raging, fast forward in real time Beethoven's Guitar Shred is like nothing that has come before. A mix 'n match medley of Beethoven, Bach, Abu Ghraib and Islamic insurgency. A classical/metal lovers everywhere wakeup call, these mini-musicals for guitar, violin and machete could very well blow your mind."
Prairie Miller
NewsBlaze

They don't. Must be his ISP, I can access it fine.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 06:26 AM   #255
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Mark Morton
Heavy Metal Examiner

Prairie Miller
NewsBlaze

I get certain sites and YouTube "blocked in your country" due to copyright concerns. Maybe someone's been ripping her samples? (I don't know if she has any on there, the site, to be honest, is so painfully bad that I didn't get past a page or two.)

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 06:28 AM   #256
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Can you tell me how? All I found was crap. Nothing in the least bit "fine".

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 06:44 AM   #257
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Georg View Post
Which has to do with his skills as a guitar player exactly what?
I do not like him too much as a player myself, but I do not understand your argument.
Nothing to understand.Plagiarists are scum,I just hate the talentless little git.Does every post on this site have to be a cast iron logical arguement? We are sometimes irrational creatures.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 06:45 AM   #258
Southwind17
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Don't worry guys - simple explanation - Middle East!
Old 14th July 2009, 08:08 AM   #259
JerryGarcia
Muse

Wilco's Nels Cline is a fantastic guitarist as well.
JerryGarcia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 08:24 AM   #260
Woolgatherer
Graduate Poster

Already on the list- John Williams

I AGREE

Also, mentioned many times but let's revisit- David Gilmour

I AGREE

Last edited by Woolgatherer; 14th July 2009 at 08:27 AM.
Woolgatherer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 05:04 PM   #261
-Axiom-
Thinker

I never heard of this "Great Kat" until now.
I watched the videos and I'm not impressed...

If she is on the list Kerry King most definitely deserves to be also.

I can't think of the name right now but who was Phil Collins's guitar player when he was on tour (solo)?
That dude is pretty damn good.

And Brad Gillis also.
-Axiom- is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 06:39 PM   #262
Egg
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by -Axiom- View Post
I can't think of the name right now but who was Phil Collins's guitar player when he was on tour (solo)?
That dude is pretty damn good.
He's used Daryl Stuermer (the guy who used to tour with Genesis). Is that who you're thinking of? He's without doubt a great guitarist, but, like many session type players, while ranking highly on technical merit, wouldn't be one that might spring to mind in terms of innovation.

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Steve Hillage
Quite the opposite - not a technical great (decent enough though) but highly distinctive and creative.
Egg is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2009, 10:13 PM   #263
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Don't worry guys - simple explanation - Middle East!
Oh, I thought you were in Australia.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 12:41 AM   #264
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Unless I've missed it, no-one has mentioned Marty Friedman yet which is pretty astonishing (check out the 'Scenes' CD for one of the best examples of his playing - I'm only a beginning player myself but I played the cd to a highly skilled classical / jazz guitarist and he was very impressed...said it was one of the best things he'd heard in ages). Could also mention Jason Becker...

As for female guitarists, Lori Linstruth is pretty good and extremely friendly - answers her emails promptly and personally.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 12:50 AM   #265
dafydd
Banned

Bonnie Raitt
Old 15th July 2009, 01:09 AM   #266
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
Could also mention Jason Becker...
Beat me to it. (He's one of my son's idols.)

I would have to add Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth. Very innovative guitar players.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 01:23 AM   #267
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

So take Buckethead on a masterpiece like "Chinese Democracy", for example. Where would you say that sits within your framework?

At almost the other end of the spectrum take Mark Knopfler on "Shangri La" or "Kill To Get Crimson". Even after listening to those albums hundreds of times I fail to be moved by the smallest of nuances, including, at times, newly discovered ones!

Am I just a natural at homing in on the "unique mix of influence" and "passion", or are those attributes simply what defines the necessary trait for musicians and bands to succeed? Either way, various rock musicians and bands are undeniably talented enough to perpetuate, and it's certainly keeping me entertained!
I dont think that there is anything wrong with recycling riffs or other musical ideas. TISM can't have either - they made a career of performing songs over all sorts of cliched beats and progressions. They even stole the costume idea from the Residents. They never took themselves too seriously though.

As with the Sex Pistols, too often an artist is lauded for having a great new sound when they were just rehashing something done before. Any of today's rock artists who think they are breaking new ground are kidding themselves.

In that clip of styles posted earlier Knopfler was one of the few I got - his tone and phrasing is very distinctive. I dont know a lot about Bucket Head but his playing was further from the '80s neoclassical roots than I'd expected.
Old 15th July 2009, 02:15 AM   #268
rikzilla
Ninja wave: Atomic fire-breath ninja

Wow,....how the hell is it that this thread has gone to 7 pages and no one has yet mentioned the guy who may just be the very best blues guitarist of any generation???

Witness the awesomeness of Mr. Joe Bonamassa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDAQm2qWnYw
Old 15th July 2009, 02:19 AM   #269
rikzilla

...also how can you guys mention Santana while blowing off Neil Schon?

Neil is an amazing guitarist....he made going to those Journey concerts back in the 80's worthwhile!

-z
Old 15th July 2009, 02:24 AM   #270
rikzilla

Also, since no one else will I have to give an honorable mention to Gary Richrath who tangled one of his broken guitar strings in my hair in Mainz back in 1980 during an REO Speedwagon show...

dang but that was fun!
Old 15th July 2009, 02:36 AM   #271
rikzilla

I loved the Great Kat! Thanks you guys...so much new stuff to watch!!! How cool!

I hope you guys liked the Joe Bonamassa vid. I just saw him 2 months ago and it was literally the best rock n roll show I've ever seen and I've seen a bunch!

Since we're making a list of the ladies too, no list would be complete without the wonderfully talented Carolyn Wonderland!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaS6T...eature=related

and my favorite song from her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxk5E...eature=related
best rendition of this Bob Dylan song I've ever heard.

enjoy.
-z
Old 15th July 2009, 02:40 AM   #272
rikzilla

Wow...no Sonny Landreth on the list??

John Hiatt anyone??

Here's them both on stage doing what they do..and it looks fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_CUzuitxSI

enjoy

-z
Old 15th July 2009, 03:18 AM   #273
rikzilla

Wait!

No list of guitarists could ever EVER be complete without the great Earl Slick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or1dy...eature=related

(I met Earl at Beatlesfest in NYC last Feb...what a great guy!)

-z
Old 15th July 2009, 04:37 AM   #274
Tony99
Critical Thinker

Couple names usually get left out of these lists.

Alvin Lee
Mark Farner

Personal favs:

Jonny Marr
Brian Setzer
Kevin Shields
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 07:07 AM   #275
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Anyone mentioned Jack White (White Stripes)?
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 09:42 AM   #276
Woolgatherer
Graduate Poster

Perhaps as a group, some of the best guitarists are Flamenco.

John H. Clarke

I AGREE

Last edited by Woolgatherer; 15th July 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Woolgatherer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 09:53 AM   #277
D'rok
Free Barbarian on The Land

After seeing him live last night, I'm going to give a shout-out to Joe Louis Walker. For my money, he's the best blues guitarist working today.

"Life, like a Saturday afternoon, finds its ruination in purpose." - MdC
D'rok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 04:27 PM   #278
Mr. Skinny
Alien Cryogenic Engineer

I'll throw a vote in for Richard Thompson if no one's mentioned him yet.
"Deities do not organize, they command." - Hokulele
Mr. Skinny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 07:25 PM   #279
JcR
Banned

Originally Posted by N.Texas View Post
Perhaps as a group, some of the best guitarists are Flamenco.

John H. Clarke

I AGREE
Busy fingers
I AGREE

I AGREE
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2009, 09:19 PM   #280
ugot2bekidding
Muse

I've mentioned Mike Kenneally before, but I wanted to post some clips.

The first two are Frank Zappa covers, starting with an acoustic Inca Roads (with a little Jazz Discharge Party Hats thrown in during the intro):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8DxA1rLmo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV7E4...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV4GzfFwc4U
ugot2bekidding is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts