IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Luntoc
Scholar

How many members are in the "Truth" movement?

I've always wondered that. I'd figure there would quite a few thousand. I doubt its in the millions but given the the organizations like A&E for 911 truth and others I would think they would be alot of them. Does anyone know of a round number or a specific one? I was just wondering how many people are actually in the movement.
Luntoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Josarhus
Thinker

The Danish official truth homepage has 316 members at the moment, including Niels Harrit.

Added:

Danish total population first quarter 2009: 5515287

Last edited by Josarhus; 8th July 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Josarhus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
sinclairmcevoy
Philosopher

Too many?
Old 8th July 2009, 12:39 PM   #4
newton3376
The Truth Movement.....still not at 1%

Originally Posted by sinclairmcevoy View Post
Too many?
Damn....you beat me to it....
newton3376 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Dog Town
Banned

Originally Posted by Luntoc View Post
Blah, blah <snip>.
Instead of starting more threads, shouldn't you be busy, with your "book" due on shelves by November?

Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Thunder
Banned

I've always wondered that. I'd figure there would quite a few thousand. I doubt its in the millions but given the the organizations like A&E for 911 truth and others I would think they would be alot of them. Does anyone know of a round number or a specific one? I was just wondering how many people are actually in the movement.
i swear..isn't there an identical topic here?
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Bobert
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dog Town View Post
Instead of starting more threads, shouldn't you be busy, with your "book" due on shelves by November?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9fe7de0c94.gif
My first thought was considering he has/is writing a book about the truth movement you would think he would have an idea about this question.
Bobert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Hi Luntoc,

I hope you are aware by now that there are uncertainties regarding your honesty. Would you mind attending to some of the questions being raised in the thread you started yesterday about the title of your new book?

Thanks,
DAO
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Bobert
Illuminator

Luntoc,
Sorry bud but enough people are already starting to see through you that you might as well just give up whatever game it is your playing.
I know that JREF SINGLE HANDEDLY stands in the way of the truth movement but come on hate the game not the player...
Bobert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 02:24 PM   #10
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect collecting for a survey...that is the pattern.

Sock 100%. I am nearly sure of it.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Thunder
Banned

based on the number of folks who actually show up to truther events around the USA and Canada, one could argue that the number of active truthers is maybe.....a few thousand.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Webster Tarpley, when he was pushing an alliance between the Troofers and the Peace Movement, claimed that there were at best about 25,000 9-11 "activists". That may be wrong, but I don't think it's wrong by an order of magnitude.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Webster Tarpley, when he was pushing an alliance between the Troofers and the Peace Movement, claimed that there were at best about 25,000 9-11 "activists". That may be wrong, but I don't think it's wrong by an order of magnitude.
he is wrong by 10% I believe there are about 2,500 active truthers in the USA.
Old 9th July 2009, 12:41 AM   #14
eromitlab
Muse

That's the exact number. I'm keeping track for a nW- uh, research paper on paranoid human behaviour. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Old 9th July 2009, 08:47 AM   #15
David Rothscum
Scholar

That depends upon how you look at it. You could look at how many people are members of the Democratic party to determine how many Democrats there are, or you could look at the number of people who voted for a Democrat during the last election. It's the same with the 9/11 Truth movement. Let's say we call everyone who does not believe that Al Qaeda carried out the attacks a member of the truth movement. In that case, 54% of people around the planet are truthers:
Quote:
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...1-culprit.html
A new international poll released Wednesday found 46 percent of respondents believed al-Qaeda was behind the Sept. 11, 2001attacks on the United States, while 15 percent blamed the United States government and 7 percent Israel.
Because the Truth movement is so decentralized and lacks a top down leadership and a strict definition, you could come up with numbers ranging from thousands, to hundreds of millions of people.
David Rothscum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2009, 08:53 AM   #16
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by David Rothscum View Post
Let's say we call everyone who does not believe that Al Qaeda carried out the attacks a member of the truth movement. In that case, 54% of people around the planet are truthers:
Let's say we call a dog's tail a leg. How many legs does the dog have?

What people actually believe and act upon, and which box they tick in order to get on to the next question and make the annoying pollster go away sooner, are rather different things.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2009, 10:00 AM   #17
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Originally Posted by eromitlab View Post

That's the exact number. I'm keeping track for a nW- uh, research paper on paranoid human behaviour. Yeah, that's the ticket.

You forgot to take the Sock DrawerTM into account.
Old 11th July 2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Since the OP mentions "movement" I'd take that to mean people that are active, doing something other than sitting behind their computer.

Let's take NYC for example, the city most effected by 9/11. Of a population of 8 million (18 million if you consider the New York City Metropolitan Area) I'd say there about 20 active "truthers" if that.

Today on Staten Island Engine 24 Ladder 5 of the FDNY is holding a 5k run to honors members of the fire house killed in the line of duty (including 11 on 9/11). Afterwards there is a large barbeque. All money raised is being donated to firefighter charities. The event is being covered by the local media.

I guarantee you that even those 20 "truth activists" won't be there with their "inside job" signs. WeAreChange won't be there sticking a video camera in anyone's face. Why? Because deep down even those 20 don't really believe in a 9/11 conspiracy theory and don't want to be called on their nonsense by those who were there.

So basically, the "truth movement" doesn't exist in NYC.
Alt+F4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2009, 12:12 PM   #19
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

That depends upon how you look at it. You could look at how many people are members of the Democratic party to determine how many Democrats there are, or you could look at the number of people who voted for a Democrat during the last election. It's the same with the 9/11 Truth movement. Let's say we call everyone who does not believe that Al Qaeda carried out the attacks a member of the truth movement. In that case, 54% of people around the planet are truthers:

Because the Truth movement is so decentralized and lacks a top down leadership and a strict definition, you could come up with numbers ranging from thousands, to hundreds of millions of people.
That poll is a year old. It also is not world encompassing, but rather looks at 17 nations. There were a fair few Middle east countries in that poll that skewed the results in terms of whether Al-Qaeda was to blame or not. Of course I doubt you have read the poll, but rather simply pulled this little hit piece out of your behind to try and make a point.
Mod WarningEdited for rule 10. Do not swear in your posts, and do not try to avoid the autocensor.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Cuddles

This article is a little better. It has links to the full poll, and an image/graph displaying the countries, and who they blamed...

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pi...ity_bt/535.php

Since 9/11 truthers, almost exclusively believe the USG was behind the attacks, your poll indicates truthers make up 15% of those polled.

TAM

Last edited by Cuddles; 7th September 2009 at 02:12 AM.
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2009, 07:10 AM   #20
deep
Graduate Poster

You're right - without a very clear definition of "truther", it's tough to even take a guess.
deep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 08:23 PM   #21
Bluesky

I had another look at the ae911truth web site the other day.

I went through the petition list and counted 120 architects, and 80 structural/civil engineers... and a bunch of certified lawn mower engineers and the like. Has anyone been through their list recently?

Its good to know that the ae911tm have the same level of honesty about their membership as every other part of their argument.
Bluesky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 08:39 PM   #22
WUBRINY63
Banned

The member number is determined by debunkers. Anyone who doesn't believe exactly what the debunker believes is a twoofer. The people who say nothing about 9/11 at all and don't have a website stating 9/11 was an inside job are assumed by debunkers to not be twoofers.

Now as far as this place goes, anyone who doesn't come here and bend over in the assumed sycophant position is also a twoofer. Count them up and feel all warm and gushy inside. That's what this place is for..
WUBRINY63 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 08:51 PM   #23
triforcharity
Banned

Wubby,

There arae people here that have different beliefs, and we don't call them truthers.

I disagree with some things that are said here, but they are usually minor. Ie: 9/11 being a national holiday, but I also understand why its not. its called critical thinking.

Its the idiots who come here and sport these dirt-dumb ideas like "fire can't hurt steel" and other dumb assertations like that that garner someone the "truther" name.

Much like yourself.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 08:54 PM   #24
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by WUBRINY63 View Post
The people who say nothing about 9/11 at all and don't have a website stating 9/11 was an inside job are assumed by debunkers to not be twoofers.
considering that truthers tend to self-identify as activists doesnt not saying anything mean they cant be truthers?

i mean, by definition you cant have a closet activist, right?
Old 6th September 2009, 09:35 PM   #25
WUBRINY63
Banned

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Wubby,

There arae people here that have different beliefs, and we don't call them truthers.

I disagree with some things that are said here, but they are usually minor. Ie: 9/11 being a national holiday, but I also understand why its not. its called critical thinking.

Its the idiots who come here and sport these dirt-dumb ideas like "fire can't hurt steel" and other dumb assertations like that that garner someone the "truther" name.

Much like yourself.
So? Why am I a twoofer? Exactly.
WUBRINY63 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 09:38 PM   #26
dtugg
Banned

Because, for example, you compare skyscrapers to bbq grills.
dtugg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 09:42 PM   #27
WUBRINY63
Banned

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
considering that truthers tend to self-identify as activists doesnt not saying anything mean they cant be truthers?

i mean, by definition you cant have a closet activist, right?
I'm really trying to understand your question but its hurting my head. It's late for me, I'm sorry. "doesnt not saying.."?

I think that yes there are many closet activist. But more than that there are people who just don't care at all and don't know anything about it. You can't declare them to be on your side just because they have said nothing.
Old 6th September 2009, 09:43 PM   #28
WUBRINY63
Banned

Originally Posted by dtugg View Post
Because, for example, you compare skyscrapers to bbq grills.
Where?
Old 6th September 2009, 09:43 PM   #29
TexasJack
Penultimate Amazing

I'm really trying to understand your question but its hurting my head. It's late for me, I'm sorry. "doesnt not saying.."?

I think that yes there are many closet activist. But more than that there are people who just don't care at all and don't know anything about it. You can't declare them to be on your side just because they have said nothing.
And what have you done, nothing? So you don't care about 911, typical.
TexasJack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 09:44 PM   #30
dtugg
Banned

Where?
In this forum.
dtugg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 09:47 PM   #31
Baylor
Philosopher

This topic has been discussed several times and the thread should be closed.

For those who've missed it.

Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 09:47 PM   #32
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

There's only one, everyone else is on internet forums is a sock puppet. The three guys that show up to protests now and then are all paid actors who think it is part of a psychological experiment.

It's a conspiracy man!

He even pretends to be a no-planer on some forums and a planer on another just to keep people guessing. Clever dude!
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2009, 02:51 AM   #33
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Because you choose to ridicule people who have carefully considered the evidence and concluded that there is nothing to suggest US government complicity in the 9/11 attacks. Since you tend to go no further than this, and in particular avoid suggesting any specific way in which you think the US government might plausibly have been complicit, this places you in the well-known group of truthers commonly referred to as the "no-claimers", perhaps the most useless group of activists ever known, since they appear honestly to believe that they can convince people to agree with an unstated position by jeering at them for failing to refute a hypothesis that doesn't actually exist.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2009, 08:43 AM   #34
Longfellow
St. Louis Cardinals Fanatic

not too many

Taking into consideration that the proponents of the 'truth movement' who have been banned here see the need to create multiple sock-puppets in order to continue posting their drivel I would say not too many people at all are in the 'truth movement'.

In fact, I would wager that the furries have them beat by a long shot.
World Series wins: 1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982, 2006, 2011
Longfellow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2009, 10:22 AM   #35
fuelair
Banned

Depends on how much they ate, and what it was they ate. I am sure the TM eats a lot of members.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2009, 04:37 PM   #36
Bluesky

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
he is wrong by 10% I believe there are about 2,500 active truthers in the USA.
I don't believe that half the people that have signed the ae911truth petition are active truthers. I would expect it would be less than 10% ie a worldwide total of 510.... tops!
Bluesky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2009, 04:45 PM   #37
Pardalis
Banned

If you subtract all of PDoh's sockpuppets, how many are left?
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2009, 04:50 PM   #38
Thunder
Banned

Truthers make up about .001% of any given population.

now, maybe 25% of the USA may answer "yes" to telephone polls as to whether they have questions about 9-11 or if they entertain the idea that there was some government involvement, but when it comes down to active participants in protests, internet forums, etc..they are still around .001%..of the USA and all other nations.

so in the USA, they have about 3,000 active members.

Israel, which has 7 million people, has about 70 truthers.

Ireland, with 4 million people, has about 40 truthers.

New York City, with 8.5 million people, usually has around 85 people at most Truther events. So the .001% figure is quite accurate.

Last edited by Thunder; 17th October 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 17th October 2009, 06:08 PM   #39
deep
Graduate Poster

Define "truther", please.
deep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2009, 06:13 PM   #40
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by deep View Post
Define "truther", please.
9-11 Truther= an individual who believes in one of several 9-11 conspiracy theories and actively advocates for these beliefs in some fashion, such as in internet forums, public protests, newspaper Op/Eds, etc.

someone who answers "yes" to a random dinnertime telephone poll, asking them if they believe that the US government was involved or may have been involved in the 9-11 attacks, is NOT a truther.

similarly, one is not a 9-11 Debunker simply because they believe that Al-Qaeda is responsible for 9-11 and 9-11 CTists are wrong. a true Debunker actively works to debunk 9-11 conspiracy theories on the web, in papers, tv interviews, etc.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories