ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th March 2011, 03:50 PM   #1
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Hysterical Reactions to Japan Nuclear Plants on Conspiracy Sites

Has anyone else noticed what I can only describe as absolutely hysterical levels of fear mongering about the Japanese nuclear plants on conspiracy websites?

Certainly, for those living around the plants - and really everyone in the entire country given that these are a major source of their power grid - has a real basis for concern about these. But I'm not talking about that. I am talking about conspiracy theorists in Europe and the US fear mongering each other into stocking up on food, buying iodine tablets, and sealing off doors and windows and staying inside for weeks. There are enough mentally unstable people on these sites that some are buying it, too.

This is hitting home for me too. My grandmother, who recently discovered the conspiracy crackpots via her iPad (she doesn't know how to use a computer or the internet otherwise), has literally been giving herself health problems over this for the past few days even though I've tried to explain to her that these sites thrive off stirring up needless fear and there is almost 0 danger to anyone in the US. She keeps reading the sites like crack though, which is strange because she normally doesn't buy into other conspiracy lunacy.

As a most recent example of the hysteria, look at this ATS thread where people are telling others to flee the west coast because they claim some military plane has detected a radiation area heading towards the US. Note that such an area is a day away and will be further dispersed by the time it hits the west coast, and the overall radiation level (assuming the source is real, at this point the level is about what you would receive in a month over one hour) isn't going to give anyone cancer or cause anyone health problems.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread674027/pg27

The few people pointing out that claiming this is fear mongering immediately gets slapped down here. And of course its not just ATS, all the lunatic fringe sites are in full fledged hysterical, frothing at the mouth needless panic mode over this.

Last edited by LightinDarkness; 14th March 2011 at 03:52 PM.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 04:53 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sit your grandmother down and tell here that any kook can start a rumor on the net or social media..and every kook does.
And,frankly, the problem is that a lot of misinformation on normally fairly reliable news sources. All 3 of the big news cable networks have not exactly covered themselved in glory in their reporting.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Sit your grandmother down and tell here that any kook can start a rumor on the net or social media..and every kook does.
And,frankly, the problem is that a lot of misinformation on normally fairly reliable news sources. All 3 of the big news cable networks have not exactly covered themselved in glory in their reporting.
Oh I agree, and whats unusual is that she doesn't actually buy any other conspiracy angle I'm aware of. But she is convinced the government is hiding info and really these plants will send huge radioactive clouds that will be worse than Chernobyl. When I point her to science sites showing that the type of reactor means this won't happen, its because "they" dont want us to know.

And the conspiracy tinged hysteria just keeps edging upwards...
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

How in the world are they claiming that this could possibly be worse than Chernobyl? That makes no sense.
Old 14th March 2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly, over the last few days, I couldn't tell the difference between the mainstream media and truthers at all.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2011, 11:51 PM   #6
JCM
Muse

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
How in the world are they claiming that this could possibly be worse than Chernobyl? That makes no sense.
Maybe the MOX? There was a special plutonium fuel called MOX at the plants that exploded which is far far worse than regular uranium fuel...

Last edited by JCM; 14th March 2011 at 11:57 PM.
JCM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 12:01 AM   #7
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
"Plants that exploded"?
Old 15th March 2011, 12:05 AM   #8
JCM
Muse

Well
Quote:
Unit 3's reactor housing was destroyed earlier Monday in a hydrogen-fueled blast similar but larger to the one that destroyed unit 1's housing Saturday.
"hydrogen-fueled blast"/"xploded plant" tomato tomato
I guess I can restate
Quote:
There was a special plutonium fuel called MOX at the plants which had hydrogen-fueled blasts to their reactor housings and this is far far worse than regular uranium fuel...
Better?

Last edited by JCM; 15th March 2011 at 12:07 AM.
JCM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 03:10 AM   #9
JAStewart
Graduate Poster
Tagger

I've noticed hysterical reaction to the nuclear plants in the very-very mainstream media like the BBC and Guardian. The lefties have (sadly) gone mad on this.

Argumentum ad YouTubeum - sts60
JAStewart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 03:20 AM   #10
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JAStewart View Post
I've noticed hysterical reaction to the nuclear plants in the very-very mainstream media like the BBC and Guardian. The lefties have (sadly) gone mad on this.
You did?
The Beeb this morning had a very reasonabe chap on explaining it all.

Not read the Guardian so can't say on that front.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 03:35 AM   #11
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
"hydrogen-fueled blast"/"xploded plant" tomato tomato
No. Explosion at the plant is not the same thing as exploded plant.

BTW, did you read this part of the story you linked to?

Quote:
"According to announcements, there appears to be no major damage to the containment vessel" of reactor No. 3, Goto said at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan. "In other words, it is able to fulfill its function."

Last edited by timhau; 15th March 2011 at 03:38 AM.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 03:43 AM   #12
BobHaulk
Muse

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
You did?
The Beeb this morning had a very reasonabe chap on explaining it all.

Not read the Guardian so can't say on that front.
He was very reasonable indeed. He's been popping up for a few days now and with his calm explanations he freaks the conspiracy folks out even more. He is clearly lying in their eyes, after all we're all gonna die in a HAARP related nuclear hurricane carbon chemtrail explosion and he's not talking about it. Oh and he never mentioned 9/11 so clearly he's a shill.
BobHaulk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 03:59 AM   #13
jargon buster
Banned

Were the Japanese government running a tsunami scenario at the very same time the real tsunami struck?
jargon buster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 04:21 AM   #14
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
Honestly, over the last few days, I couldn't tell the difference between the mainstream media and truthers at all.
I'm not the only one who can't tell the difference.

Drudge is linking Prison Planet stories on the Fukushima plant.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 04:41 AM   #15
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by LightinDarkness View Post
Has anyone else noticed what I can only describe as absolutely hysterical levels of fear mongering about the Japanese nuclear plants on conspiracy websites?
Yes. Mostly through links from here though as I don't usually frequent such sinkholes of stupidity.

Certainly, for those living around the plants - and really everyone in the entire country given that these are a major source of their power grid - has a real basis for concern about these. But I'm not talking about that. I am talking about conspiracy theorists in Europe and the US fear mongering each other into stocking up on food, buying iodine tablets, and sealing off doors and windows and staying inside for weeks. There are enough mentally unstable people on these sites that some are buying it, too.
This could be a good thing, isolate them from the rest of us.

This is hitting home for me too. My grandmother, who recently discovered the conspiracy crackpots via her iPad (she doesn't know how to use a computer or the internet otherwise), has literally been giving herself health problems over this for the past few days even though I've tried to explain to her that these sites thrive off stirring up needless fear and there is almost 0 danger to anyone in the US. She keeps reading the sites like crack though, which is strange because she normally doesn't buy into other conspiracy lunacy.
Oh dear. Perhaps a little stealthy censorship?

As a most recent example of the hysteria, look at this ATS thread where people are telling others to flee the west coast because they claim some military plane has detected a radiation area heading towards the US. Note that such an area is a day away and will be further dispersed by the time it hits the west coast, and the overall radiation level (assuming the source is real, at this point the level is about what you would receive in a month over one hour) isn't going to give anyone cancer or cause anyone health problems.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread674027/pg27
No thanks. After my one, brief, involvement in a thread there I don't visit ATS for the reasons stated above.

The few people pointing out that claiming this is fear mongering immediately gets slapped down here. And of course its not just ATS, all the lunatic fringe sites are in full fledged hysterical, frothing at the mouth needless panic mode over this.
Well fear brings the visitor and sells the ads and merchandise.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 04:54 AM   #16
JCM
Muse

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
No. Explosion at the plant is not the same thing as exploded plant.
I stand corrected.
Quote:
BTW, did you read this part of the story you linked to?

"According to announcements...
Contradictory proclamations have been issued by NEPA over the course of this event, not to say the core being fine is false. If anything were to happen resulting in leakage MOX>plain urani in terms of danger

Last edited by JCM; 15th March 2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 15th March 2011, 05:17 AM   #17
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

But are the plants exploding onto or into their own footprints?
Old 15th March 2011, 05:21 AM   #18
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I'm wondering why the Japanese were foolish enough to build nuclear plants on conspiracy sites in the first place.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 09:24 AM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not the only one who can't tell the difference.

Drudge is linking Prison Planet stories on the Fukushima plant.
Matt Drudge's reputation is zero anyway. Even most conservatives regard him as cheap sensationalist.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 10:44 AM   #20
fitzgibbon
Master Poster

Looked at your ATS link there, LiD. I notice it's in the "Highly Speculative Conspiracy Topics" section. For ATS to label a section in that manner means the regulars there must be right off the woo-scale. Looks like it has all sorts of potential for gits and shiggles.
"Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth... Go to God!"
Howard Beale, "Network"
fitzgibbon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 09:47 PM   #21
sylvan8798
Master Poster

On the other hand...the hysteria is starting to look a tiny bit less hysterical

Polaris (wrt cluelessforum) - Bunch of sewer-chewing douche nozzles.
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2011, 11:31 PM   #22
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
I'd have to disagree 100%. For the people living in Japan, again, its perfectly acceptable to be concerned - they'd be crazy not to be concerned. Even if they don't live by a nuclear power plant, these things are a huge part of their grid. The people living within 100 miles of them obviously have even more reason to be concerned. In fact at this point, people living in actual close proximity to them could legitimately panic.

But for the rest of us, the 98% of the world that doesn't live in Japan or anywhere near these plants, its hysterical overreaction. No matter how terrible the outcome may end up being for those near the plants, fear mongering people to buy iodine tablets in California and flee to their nuclear bunkers is over the top.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:49 PM   #23
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
No... I still wanna slap anyone who brings up Chernobyl.
Old 16th March 2011, 01:52 AM   #24
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

An example of the nutter butter crazy fear mongering:
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age1396890/pg1

These people are talking about fleeing the west coast...for absolutely no reason. One of them is even talking about paying for a medivac for an ill family member to Canada.

Utterly insane. And I realize GLP is full of mentally ill and there is a good chance many people in this example are just people acting like they are fleeing to be in the "in crowd"...but still...
Old 16th March 2011, 03:17 AM   #25
Tolls
Illuminator

Speaking of hysterical reactions...Germany are apparently shutting down 7 of their reactors...

Twits.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2011, 10:12 AM   #26
Thunder
Banned

I avoided ALL conspiracy websites since this disaster started.

The reality of this situation is frightening enough as it is.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2011, 03:02 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

An example of the nutter butter crazy fear mongering:
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age1396890/pg1

These people are talking about fleeing the west coast...for absolutely no reason. One of them is even talking about paying for a medivac for an ill family member to Canada.

Utterly insane. And I realize GLP is full of mentally ill and there is a good chance many people in this example are just people acting like they are fleeing to be in the "in crowd"...but still...
As a California resident, one less nutbag is a good thing. We have way too many of them as it is.
Old 16th March 2011, 03:05 PM   #28
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sad thing is the Kook Websites are not alone in the Hysteria. The TV coverage by the "Responsible" media has been fear mongering also.
Old 16th March 2011, 04:06 PM   #29
Thunder
Banned

I am taking the Japanese crisis kinda hard, not just because my sister lives on the West coast.

I advise anyone who is also taking this hard, and feels deeply emotional about it, to NOT visit conspiracy theory websites until this madness is over.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2011, 04:49 PM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
I am taking the Japanese crisis kinda hard, not just because my sister lives on the West coast.

I advise anyone who is also taking this hard, and feels deeply emotional about it, to NOT visit conspiracy theory websites until this madness is over.
Learning some freaking science might be a good idea also.....
Old 17th March 2011, 02:41 AM   #31
Tolls
Illuminator

What are the French playing at cranking up the fear factor?
Does anyone know?
Are they correct, or is there something else going on?
Old 20th March 2011, 10:28 AM   #32
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Attacking Libya is a "false flag" by the Americans to take the media heat off their Japanese buddies.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2011, 03:08 PM   #33
Laeke
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
What are the French playing at cranking up the fear factor?
Does anyone know?
Are they correct, or is there something else going on?
As a Frenchman somewhat freed of the usual media, could you please be more precise as to who and how they were cranking the fear factor 4 days ago?
Perhaps it is merely compensation for several days of "debating nuclear power now is indecent" & "yeah well, i'm just saying, our products are super secure, buy French nuclear power plants NOW!".

I do agree that media is fueling hysteria, but I can't really blame people or being worried about nuclear plants, to be honest.

Last edited by Laeke; 21st March 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Laeke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2011, 03:50 PM   #34
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Sun tanning is a greater threat to your sister than the Fukushima reactors.
Old 21st March 2011, 04:02 PM   #35
1337m4n
Alphanumeric Anonymous Stick Man

Quote:
Sad thing is the Kook Websites are not alone in the Hysteria. The TV coverage by the "Responsible" media has been fear mongering also.
Funnily enough, Fox freakin' News out of all networks is the one giving the most balanced and objective reporting on the Japanese nuclear plant. They had a nuclear expert on giving an honest and thorough assessment and correctly assured everyone that a tiny amount of radiation is completely harmless. Listening to every other network, you'd think we were going to be living in the world of the "Fallout" games within a week.

"The evidence that the attacks of 9/11 were an inside job just keeps not coming in." --pomeroo
1337m4n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2011, 05:01 PM   #36
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 1337m4n View Post
Funnily enough, Fox freakin' News out of all networks is the one giving the most balanced and objective reporting on the Japanese nuclear plant. They had a nuclear expert on giving an honest and thorough assessment and correctly assured everyone that a tiny amount of radiation is completely harmless.
"Most balanced" being a relative thing. FOX has had it's low moments as well. Just the other day they had some dill-hole explaining that the detection of radiation a billion times less than recorded at the plant in japan proved that the radiation could get across the pacific and the West Coast was still in danger.

Originally Posted by 1337m4n View Post
Listening to every other network, you'd think we were going to be living in the world of the "Fallout" games within a week.
Hey 1337m4n, have I shown you our CANDU fuel bundle?

Old 21st March 2011, 05:58 PM   #37
Hamradioguy
Pyrrhonist

Been there, done that. I spent years doing radiological preparedness planning for both nuclear attack and nuclear plant accidents. Irrational fear of anything to do with nuclear radiation is perhaps THE big fear of the uninformed and/or CT crowd. Would hate to think what any terrorist could accomplish with a "dirty" bomb.
Hamradioguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2011, 03:10 AM   #38
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Laeke View Post
As a Frenchman somewhat freed of the usual media, could you please be more precise as to who and how they were cranking the fear factor 4 days ago?
Perhaps it is merely compensation for several days of "debating nuclear power now is indecent" & "yeah well, i'm just saying, our products are super secure, buy French nuclear power plants NOW!".

I do agree that media is fueling hysteria, but I can't really blame people or being worried about nuclear plants, to be honest.
It was, I beleive, France (or should I say their nuclear chaps) that viewed the Fukishima plant problems as almost up there with Chernobyl. It was them that upped the rating to a level 6 a week or so ago. It is currently rated at a 5 and is not going to get any higher.

That's why I was asking, because of France's investment in nuclear power it just struck me as odd that they were saying this.

For reference, last Tuesday.

And the current state.
Old 22nd March 2011, 03:54 AM   #39
Laeke
Critical Thinker

Ho, the scale thing. Thank you for the precisions.

I don't know: the French Nuclear Security Agency maybe tought it was justified to do so at that time. I do not know what info they do get on Fukushima exactly, but the situation was and is foggy. On a general note, they did conduct briefings daily last week (maybe they still do) that you could see on the net, and from what I gather, those were conducted in a serious, didactic and reasonable fashion.

The problem in France is that we are heavily invested in nuclear plants (80% of our production and we do export it too) but that any meaningful public debate on the issue is shot down constantly, and the French governement seems (since France chose this path) overtly protective on the issue, classifying a lot of info and using this to hammer anti-nuclear organisations.
And at the beginning of the Japanese crisis, some people (including one of the President's advisor) went public in a shameless effort to promote French nuclear industry.
Because you know, we're the best and we are sooper secure, and we do not make compromise on that. (Except that in the past, the governement was kinda pushing to shrink security costs as it was perceived that Areva lost the Korean contracts because of that).
And back in the Tchernobyl days, French governement handwaved the nuclear in a pretty callous manner as well.

So when the Fukushima incident turned out to be serious, there was maybe some inconscious compensation going on for a few days.

While i'm trying to approach the issue in the most reasonable way possible, I do feel that the people should be entitled to have a real debate on nuclear energy.

Last edited by Laeke; 22nd March 2011 at 03:55 AM.
Laeke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2011, 04:48 AM   #40
Tolls
Illuminator

It just struck me as odd since, as you say, France has such an investment in nuclear, and French companies are the likely candidates for setting up plants in the UK (as far as I am aware) should we actually pull our fingers out and actually start building the things.

I agree there shold be a debate, but Fukishima isn't really a useful example to use in that debate, except to show that things are containable even in the most extreme of disasters.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories