ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bill maher , christianity , judaism

Old 10th August 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Do only one half of Americans know Judaism is older than Christianity?

On Bill Maher's program (Aug 7) he made the claim that
Quote:
And I haven't even brought up Religion. But here's one Fun Fact I'll leave you with: Did you know only about half of Americans are aware that Judaism is an older Religion than Christianity? That's right, half of America looks at books called the Old Testament and the New Testaments and cannot figure out which one came first.
Is that true? Do only one half of Americans know Judaism is older than Christianity?

ETA: wrong forum, sorry
Old 10th August 2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Marc39
Banned

I saw Maher for the first time in a while and HE looked like he's older than Christianity.
Marc39 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Eyeron

I'm not sure, but I'd actually say far less than that actually know that Christianity evolved from Judaism. The first five books of the Bible are the Torah.
Eyeron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 04:49 PM   #4
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Maher made the joke that there's a "old testament" and a "new testament," and half the people apparently don't know which one is older. But that joke prefigures that people know that the "old testament" is the Jewish one. I wouldn't assume that.

But what of the basic (I think) information that their own god-man, Jesus Christ, was a Jew? Do they really not know that? Or do they not realize that he's the beginning of their religion. It's hard to explain.

Brings to mind that moron (let's be nice) savant Sherri Shepard, on The View, (the one who wouldn't admit to definite knowledge that the Earth is round) who proclaimed with certainty that Christians were around before everyone else, Greeks, etc.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Thunder
Banned

You have to be a real moron to not know that Judaism is older then Christianity.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Eyeron

Why would a person have to be a moron? It is something that is generally just not taught, so with a lack of information, how could they know it? When something isn't taught, or is not widely known, it just doesn't really occur to people that there may be additional information they're unaware of. Teaching about Judaism is simply not a priority. I know growing up I was never exposed to it. Even in Sunday School, they never mentioned Judaism at all or the Torah and I never even knew about Judaism until I was 25.
Eyeron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by Eyeron View Post
Why would a person have to be a moron? It is something that is generally just not taught, so with a lack of information, how could they know it? When something isn't taught, or is not widely known, it just doesn't really occur to people that there may be additional information they're unaware of. Teaching about Judaism is simply not a priority. I know growing up I was never exposed to it. Even in Sunday School, they never mentioned Judaism at all or the Torah and I never even knew about Judaism until I was 25.
Jesus was a Jew. As was Paul, Peter, John, Marc, Mary, Joseph, King Herod, and most of the other folks in the New Testament.

How could Christianity possibly be older then Judaism...with this in mind?

Hence....morons.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 06:02 PM   #8
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
Jesus was a Jew. As was Paul, Peter, John, Marc, Mary, Joseph, King Herod, and most of the other folks in the New Testament.

Hence....morons.
Ignorance (in its 'true' meaning) of a fact, such as that Jesus was Jewish, does not mean aperson is a moron. It just means s/he is ignorant of that fact.
If a person is unaware that jesus was Jewish, there is no reason s/he should know that Judaism predates Chrisitanity.
The millions upon millions of facts you are ignorant of do not mean that you are a moron.
It takes other attributes to merit that epithet.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 06:39 PM   #9
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

ok nitpick time.

The character in the writings "jesus" is a jew. It has never been proven he was or wasn't a Jew or anything else in reality as his physical existance has never been established. Lets argue about what color Santa claus hat is instead....

Certainly the Jesus movement was formed as a subset of the already existing Jewish community... But hey, so what if many people don't know that. Many people don't know Australia is not in europe or that donuts don't contain nuts.

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Thunder
Banned

Oy. Oy vey.
Old 10th August 2009, 07:57 PM   #11
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
Oy. Oy vey.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
On Bill Maher's program (Aug 7) he made the claim that
Do you and Bill Maher routinely beg questions?

(How does one poll for this, I wonder?)
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 08:06 PM   #13
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Fool, why are you intentionally obtuse? Do you think that anyone is dazzled by your mundane observation, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand?
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 08:10 PM   #14
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Do you and Bill Maher routinely beg questions?
I do not understand you.
Old 10th August 2009, 08:48 PM   #15
GreNME
Philosopher

I do not understand you.
DR is on a roll. Several of his posts the last few days have struck me as quite funny (in that I think he meant them to be so), and this is some more pith for the pot (so to speak).

This post brought to you by the letters K, T, and no-offense-intended-to-DR.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 10:18 PM   #16
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Fool, why are you intentionally obtuse? Do you think that anyone is dazzled by your mundane observation, which has nothing to do with the topic at hand?
well I'm fairly sure you are not dazzled. I invite you to take advantage of the fine ignore button JREF has provided you.

not quite so sure about why you think that my post had nothing to do with the topic?? Is providing comments on the Jesus movement being obtuse? In a thread about americans level of knowledge of thier own religion which is decended from the Jesus movement?

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2009, 10:44 PM   #17
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I have no difficulty believing Maher's convenient (to his lame joke) statistic, but I'd still, in my best skeptic mode, like to see the survey or study he got it from,.... if one exists.

OTOH, I have no difficulty believing it because I can recall doing a training session in the midwest for my company in the 90s, and at lunch somehow a conversation about liability got crossed over into morality and we wound up discussing the historical context and I said something to the effect of, ".... but I'm sure the Torah says XXX..."
One of them responded, "We don't read the Jewish bible."
When I pointed out that they knew various translations of it (with inconvenient words like "Jewish" removed) but all learned it all in Sunday School as "The Old Testament", they looked at me like I'd just bitten the head off a puppy.

A lot of bible belt and fundy Christians go straight from Genesis with all those cool stories right over to Revelations or whatever other NT book their particular sect follows. They really don't know much else as they're uneducated on the topic, and they've spent so many years thinking about and hearing about the differences between Jews and Christians that the thought that Christianity was a progression (if not a logical progression at least one that makes sense in some terms) from Judaism is totally bewildering to them. (Ask the same people if they know that Islam also sort of sprang from the same roots for a real laugh riot. Hell, ask that of some uneducated Muslims and they'll turn purple.)

The operative word in all of this being "uneducated". Poorly informed. Not read up on the subject. Haven't bothered looking into it.

Not "morons".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2009, 12:20 AM   #18
Eyeron

Quote:

Hence....morons.
You missed the point entirely. Most people don't know it because it isn't widely taught. That doesn't make them morons. How can a person be aware of something if they've never come across it in the first place?
Old 11th August 2009, 12:44 AM   #19
Geezer
Thinker

You missed the point entirely. Most people don't know it because it isn't widely taught. That doesn't make them morons. How can a person be aware of something if they've never come across it in the first place?
But it kinda says so in the one book they supposedly reads, i.e. the bible.
Geezer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2009, 03:13 AM   #20
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by GreNME View Post
DR is on a roll. Several of his posts the last few days have struck me as quite funny (in that I think he meant them to be so), and this is some more pith for the pot (so to speak).

This post brought to you by the letters K, T, and no-offense-intended-to-DR.
Sorry, but your post did not aid in my understanding at all. Why is the comment clever or witty?
Old 11th August 2009, 06:02 AM   #21
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Where did you go to school, might I ask? In NYC (largest school district in the U.S.) kids are not only taught that Judaism is older than Christianity but that Hinduism is older than Judaism. One of the major areas of the 9th grade Social Studies curriculum is world religions and every year there are religion questions on the state-wide standardized exam.

This link provides sample questions on religion and philosophy that 10th grade students (about age 15) are asked on the state-wide exam. I wonder how many Maher would get right?

http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/c...QNum=1&Wrong=0

Last edited by Alt+F4; 11th August 2009 at 06:06 AM.
Alt+F4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2009, 06:12 AM   #22
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

I do not understand you.
If the joke didn't work, it might have been my delivery.

Back to the topic at hand, as I fear the dreaded rule 11 hammer.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2009, 06:15 AM   #23
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
ok nitpick time.

The character in the writings "jesus" is a jew. It has never been proven he was or wasn't a Jew or anything else in reality as his physical existance has never been established. Lets argue about what color Santa claus hat yarmulke is instead....
Fixed it for you.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2009, 06:24 AM   #24
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
Where did you go to school, might I ask? In NYC (largest school district in the U.S.) kids are not only taught that Judaism is older than Christianity but that Hinduism is older than Judaism. One of the major areas of the 9th grade Social Studies curriculum is world religions and every year there are religion questions on the state-wide standardized exam.

This link provides sample questions on religion and philosophy that 10th grade students (about age 15) are asked on the state-wide exam. I wonder how many Maher would get right?

http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/c...QNum=1&Wrong=0

Don't know about Bill but I got them all correct. Now I have to get ready to help a lady from my wife's church with a computer problem she has.

May the IPU (Blessed be Her name) provide you with an interesting day.
Old 11th August 2009, 09:47 AM   #25
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
But what of the basic (I think) information that their own god-man, Jesus Christ, was a Jew?
Now you're just talking crazy talk! Everyone knows Jesus was an American!

The evidences:

Last edited by Vorticity; 11th August 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Jesus!
Vorticity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2009, 10:03 AM   #26
Lemastre
Critical Thinker

Judaism -- what's that? God created the world, then his friends wrote it all down and handed it to Billy Graham. This book is known as "the word of God," and I think it took about a week and half.
Old 11th August 2009, 01:51 PM   #27
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Lemastre View Post
Judaism -- what's that? God created the world, then his friends wrote it all down and handed it to Billy Graham. This book is known as "the word of God," and I think it took about a week and half.
Moses, not Billy.

If you'd party less with Dr Frank N. Furter, you'd not have this Time Warp thing going.
Old 12th August 2009, 05:44 AM   #28
skeptical
Muse

I saw the same episode and wondered the same thing: "where did he get this information from?". I have been able to track down some of the other stats he mentioned in various other polls (Gallup and NYTimes), but haven't been able to find this one. (sadly most of the other stats he quotes appear to be correct with only slight exaggerations for a few).

So, does anyone know what the source of this stat is?
skeptical is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2009, 06:04 AM   #29
Alareth
Philosopher

And for our next trick, watch a fundie explode when he's told Jesus wasn't white.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2009, 06:16 AM   #30
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Maher repeated the statistic on Conan last night. I am still no closer to finding the source. Does anyone have googling advice?

. . . . . . . .
ETA: I'd love to have this thread moved to another forum but have no idea how to do that. Who can help?
Old 26th August 2009, 12:14 PM   #31
Audenaert
New Blood

I think that the majority of the people that were asked which religion was older may not have been terribly interested/educated in religion itself. Among Christians I have heard Jesus referred to as the King of Jews multiple times, which I feel should be an obvious clue as to which is older (my explanation is shaky at best, but it makes sense in my head).

Of course, I could always be 100% wrong, but the idea that half of Americans wouldn't know this thing just floors me. To me, it seems like the kind of info you simply "pick up" over time, even if you don't have any particular connection with Judaism or Christianity.

I know growing up I was never exposed to it. Even in Sunday School, they never mentioned Judaism at all or the Torah and I never even knew about Judaism until I was 25.
I can recall being taught about it when I was younger and attended a Christian Sunday School. Not that I'm trying to invalidate what you've said, of course, since I'm sure that all Sunday Schools vary in their teachings to some degree.
Audenaert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics