ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ae911truth

Old 27th August 2009, 04:06 PM   #1
BigAl
Philosopher

AI911Truth stretches the credentials on another AIA member: Stephen Barasch

Here's the announcement of a new AE911Twoof member. Being a "40-year architect " he could hardly been responsible for much in the Transamerica building which started construction in 1969. Ditto for the only "Mark Hopkins Hotel" I can find, built in 1893.

His justification paragraph is so full of things that DIDN'T apply to the WTC towers that he must have slept through Gage's presentation.

Can we come up with a "Fact Care Package" for new AE911 members when we can identify them?

Quote:
Aug 24, 2009

High-Rise Architect with Transamerica Building design experience signs
AE911Truth petition

Featured Petitioner, 40-year architect Stephen Barasch, AIA

Among the nearly 800 architects and engineers who have signed our petition comes one architect formerly with William L. Pereira & Associates. One doesn't get much closer to the elements of high-rise design than with the pyramid-shaped Transamerica Building in San Francisco. Stephen Barasch, AIA, our Featured Petitioner, was a member of the architectural design team for that 48-floor structure. Barasch was also instrumental in the Mark Hopkins Hotel architectural design, also in San Francisco.

After leaving William L. Pereira & Associates, Barasch founded his own architectural firm, Barasch Architects & Associates, located in San Luis Obispo, CA, with an office in Pasadena, CA. The firm was contracted by the City of Los Angeles following the Northridge earthquake to characterize the seismic response of 27 buildings to the waves emanating from the Northridge epicenter.

Barasch made the following statement upon signing the AE911Truth Petition: "After reviewing the data presented by the Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth organization and through my independent assessment of the data I have reviewed, and based on my 40+ years of professional experience, I have concluded that it would be nearly impossible for any of the principal World Trade Center Towers to collapse in the manner or in the recorded time frame as a result of any fire or explosion caused solely by the impact of terrorist-guided aircraft alone. Braced steel frame buildings simply don't collapse in a symmetrical manner with a uniform plume of debris in 102 or 56 minutes respectively with modern structural design standards and state-of-the-art life-safety systems which must be continuously inspected by local building inspectors based on ever increasing performance standards centered on human survival."

http://www.ae911truth.org/
Dept of Redundancy Dept.

Last edited by BigAl; 27th August 2009 at 04:10 PM.
BigAl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 05:03 PM   #2
BigAl
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Here's the announcement of a new AE911Twoof member. Being a "40-year architect " he could hardly been responsible for much in the Transamerica building which started construction in 1969. Ditto for the only "Mark Hopkins Hotel" I can find, built in 1893.

Can we come up with a "Fact Care Package" for new AE911 members when we can identify them?
It appears he got his license in 1977.
http://www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/WLLQRYNA$LCEV2.QueryView?P_LICENSE_NUMBER=9505&P_L TE_ID=1010
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/lymarq
Dept of Redundancy Dept.

Last edited by BigAl; 27th August 2009 at 05:05 PM.
BigAl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Edx
Philosopher

Surely theres more to this, can they really get it that wrong???
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 05:54 PM   #4
carlitos
"más divertido"

According to their website, the InterContinental Mark Hopkins was refurbished in 2002, but that was likely after Mr. Barasch left the larger firm... Anyway, when they say "architectural design" for both of those structures, you think that maybe this guy, I dunno, designed them? Designing the Transamerica Pyramid would be a big deal.

I'm no expert, but Barasch Architects & Associates does not appear to have done any projects of note. They don't appear to have a website; rather googling them shows the typical listings for small or mid-sized businesses - industry profiles, yellow pages, local chamber of commerce listing etc.

That is not to say that this person does not have the experience he claims, but it does seem like they could offer a little more substantiation.

ETA - I just dialed up their office. It is after hours, but noodling around the voice mail got me two names: Steve Barasch and Janine Barasch. Maybe he used to work for the company that built the TransAmerica Pyramid, but his current enterprise is not on that scale.

Last edited by carlitos; 27th August 2009 at 06:27 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Mr.Herbert
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
........They don't appear to have a website; rather googling them shows the typical listings for small or mid-sized businesses - industry profiles, yellow pages, local chamber of commerce listing etc.
mmm hmmmm...

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...s.626-449-7214

Customer Reviews MerchantCircle Yahoo! Local Citysearch Insider Pages Yellowpages.com

911 Conspiracy Theorist

Mr. Barasch belongs to a group of conspiracy theorist that are accusing the government of blowing up the WTC. http://www.ae911truth.org/
Mr.Herbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 07:33 PM   #6
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

I know the The Pyramid's lobby was renovated not too long ago as well. If Barasch was still employed by the original firm then it's possible he may have been consulted for this project. But on the original design team? Well, I have some contacts there and will be having a chat with them soon. I'm very confident the building owners and property management company would rather not have somebody else taking credit for Mr. Pereira's design nor would they want their landmark building associated with a scumbag like Richard Gage.

The better you get, the harder you work.

Last edited by AJM8125; 27th August 2009 at 07:37 PM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Quote:
Barasch Architects & Assoc Business InformationIs this your company?Barasch Architects & Assoc is a private company categorized under Architects and located in Pasadena, CA. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $500,000 to $1 million and employs a staff of approximately 1 to 4.
Also Does Business As
Barasch Architects & Associates Inc*
HQ, Branch or Single Location
Single Location
Annual Sales (Estimated)
$500,000 to $1 million
D&B: $380,000*
Employees (Estimated)
1 to 4
D&B: 6*
An extract of their D&B.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 09:31 PM   #8
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

It is a bit difficult to reconcile the idea of Mr. Barasch as a "designer" of the Transamerica Pyramid with the reality that Mr. Barasch, in 2006, had such astounding projects as seeking to renovate a rental house by adding a few bedrooms (after being denied because the proposed renovation did not meet the planning department's requirements wrt municipal standards and zoning and such, and subsequently amending the plan for appeal purposes to get it approved - not by any stretch of the imagination a big project judging by the drawings and photos), and in 2005 was also attempting to gain approval for a couple of new single family residential houses, without initial success (not sure if he ever ultimately got approval for these and I can't be bothered to look any further).

Oh, and he apparently renovated a restaurant in 2006, too.

Originally Posted by AJM8125
I know the The Pyramid's lobby was renovated not too long ago as well. If Barasch was still employed by the original firm then it's possible he may have been consulted for this project. But on the original design team?
Mr. Pereira died in 1985 and it is not clear to me whether his firm, William L. Pereira & Associates, continued to exist after his death (there is some indication that it was taken over by two associates, but I haven't found anything in a cursory search that shows it continues to exist under the Pereira banner). In any event, according to this article about a church expansion/renovation that Barasch worked on under his own firm name, it appears that he has been on his own since at least 1986. And since the Pyramid was built between 1969 and 1972, and Barasch was still in university in 1971, it seems exceedingly unlikely that Barasch was involved in any way with its design.

Last edited by LashL; 27th August 2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Neglected to link to the church renovation article.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 09:43 PM   #9
R.Mackey
Philosopher

It's a good thing they put the word "Truth" in their name... otherwise, a casual observer would be hard pressed to see it.

Has any of those goons ever published a paper? Any of them??
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2009, 10:05 PM   #10
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
It is a bit difficult to reconcile the idea of Mr. Barasch as a "designer" of the Transamerica Pyramid with the reality that Mr. Barasch, in 2006, had such astounding projects as seeking to renovate a rental house by adding a few bedrooms (after being denied because the proposed renovation did not meet the planning department's requirements wrt municipal standards and zoning and such, and subsequently amending the plan for appeal purposes to get it approved - not by any stretch of the imagination a big project judging by the drawings and photos), and in 2005 was also attempting to gain approval for a couple of new single family residential houses, without initial success (not sure if he ever ultimately got approval for these and I can't be bothered to look any further).

Oh, and he apparently renovated a restaurant in 2006, too.

Mr. Pereira died in 1985 and it is not clear to me whether his firm, William L. Pereira & Associates, continued to exist after his death (there is some indication that it was taken over by two associates, but I haven't found anything in a cursory search that shows it continues to exist under the Pereira banner). In any event, according to this article about a church expansion/renovation that Barasch worked on under his own firm name, it appears that he has been on his own since at least 1986. And since the Pyramid was built between 1969 and 1972, and Barasch was still in university in 1971, it seems exceedingly unlikely that Barasch was involved in any way with its design.
Have you been told how amazing you are today?

And to think I just wasted this on Shemp over in community:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2mUHqXC1Vg

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2009, 06:58 AM   #11
Justin39640
Illuminator

found this
http://www.emporis.com/application/?...s-ca-usa&lng=3
looks like the last big building they did under that name was in 1982
and they changed the name of the company
Quote:
One of California's most famous architects, Pereira is best known for his futuristic, space-age designs like the Transamerica Pyramid, Los Angeles Airport's Theme Building, and the Doha Sheraton in Qatar, as well as successfully masterplanning entire cities from the ground up, most notably the cities of Irvine and Newport Beach in California. By the time he died he had over 400 projects to his name. His company was inherited by architects Scott Johnson and Bill Fain upon his death in 1985, and exists today as Johnson Fain & Partners.
http://www.johnsonfain.com/
Old 28th August 2009, 12:32 PM   #12
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Hell, he could have been drawing toilet partitions and still billed himself as one of the "designers". The little lackeys get to describe themselves as designers, even if they are just designing where to put the t-paper dispensers. It seems like he might have something to do with urban planning, since he is in the APA (American Planning Association?).
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2009, 01:28 PM   #13
alienentity
Illuminator

I've contacted Johnson Fain and asked them to clarify or comment. Just curious to see if they'll respond.

btw, is David Chandler also presented as either an engineer or an architect?

The A&E Truth ad describes it's members as:

'100's of accredited professionals'
And, referring to Richard Gage 'he and nearly 600 of his colleagues'

Richard Gage talks about the organization using these phrases:
'this forensic evidence includes smoking guns that lead ALL 562 Architects and Engineers to realize that these buildings were brought down by explosive controlled demolition'

Clearly the organization presents itself as a collection of accredited architects and engineers. I fail to see how a high school physics teacher fits into that catagory....
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2009, 01:34 PM   #14
BigAl
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alienentity View Post
I've contacted Johnson Fain and asked them to clarify or comment. Just curious to see if they'll respond.

btw, is David Chandler also presented as either an engineer or an architect?
Is this him?
http://www.ae911truth.org/profile.php?uid=999083
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
Old 28th August 2009, 01:43 PM   #15
alienentity
Illuminator

Yup
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2009, 01:47 PM   #16
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Out of curiosity (I don't know why): Has AE 9/11 any requirements that would prove that it's signers are still supporters (if they understood and supported them to begin with)?

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2009, 02:45 PM   #17
deep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alienentity View Post
Clearly the organization presents itself as a collection of accredited architects and engineers. I fail to see how a high school physics teacher fits into that catagory....

David Chandler is listed under Supporters and A&E Students, so he's not counted as one of the architectural/engineering professionals.
deep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2009, 06:46 PM   #18
triforcharity
Banned

That is a good thing, as he isn't qualified (in my opinion) to build a doghouse.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 03:33 PM   #19
BigAl
Philosopher

Stephen Barasch's Architect's license?

Someone posted a link to the CA license list that showed that Barasch got a license in 1971 (r was in 77). Is there any chance he was licensed in another state first or somehow got "relicensed" if that is possible.
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
Old 30th August 2009, 04:40 AM   #20
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

Firstly, I wonder whether there's some sort of confusion over 40 years experience and 40 years of age, which would readily explain part of the OP's query. As for being on the original design team, well that looks liek complete bollocks.

As an aside, when I worked on the Beetham Tower, there were 14 of us on the in-house team including a year out student. That doesn't make him one of the designers in any meaningful sense; hell, the CAD monkeys did more technical stuff than he did.

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 01:36 PM   #21
Lenbrazil
Muse

Someone posted a link to the CA license list that showed that Barasch got a license in 1971 (r was in 77). Is there any chance he was licensed in another state first or somehow got "relicensed" if that is possible.
He is listed in the U of Arizona 1971 yearbook as being from LA. He was licensed in California in 1977 and listed as living in San Luis Obispo (close to LA). All the evidence turned up so far on this thread only shows him working on projects in CA. The only other state I could imagine him being licensed in would be AZ but he only got one there in 1986 and his address was still listed as San Luis Obispo. Since there is no evidence he ever lived, studied or worked anywhere but those 2 adjoining states I think it's rather safe to assume he wasn't licensed 1971 - 6 in a third one.

http://www.btr.state.az.us/listings/...5barasch%25%22
Lenbrazil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 02:10 PM   #22
LashL

Originally Posted by R.Mackey View Post
It's a good thing they put the word "Truth" in their name... otherwise, a casual observer would be hard pressed to see it.

Heh. That is a great line. Nominated for the pith!
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 02:19 PM   #23
LashL

Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Firstly, I wonder whether there's some sort of confusion over 40 years experience and 40 years of age, which would readily explain part of the OP's query. As for being on the original design team, well that looks liek complete bollocks.

I do not see how it could be a matter of confusing 40 as his age vs. his years of experience, as neither seems plausible. He was in university in 1971 (38 years ago) so he has to be (considerably) more than 40 years old, and he cannot have 40 years of experience as an architect since he was still in school in 1971. So, yes, it does look like complete bollocks to say that he was on the original design team for the Pyramid, which was built between 1969-1972.

Rather, the blurb from AE sounds like more of the deliberate exaggeration and deliberate distortion of facts that we have come to expect from this merry band, who purport to be "truth" seekers.
Old 30th August 2009, 05:11 PM   #24
deep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lenbrazil View Post
He is listed in the U of Arizona 1971 yearbook as being from LA. He was licensed in California in 1977 and listed as living in San Luis Obispo (close to LA). All the evidence turned up so far on this thread only shows him working on projects in CA. The only other state I could imagine him being licensed in would be AZ but he only got one there in 1986 and his address was still listed as San Luis Obispo. Since there is no evidence he ever lived, studied or worked anywhere but those 2 adjoining states I think it's rather safe to assume he wasn't licensed 1971 - 6 in a third one.

In 1975, he was licensed in Texas (license #5514). Here's the search page:

http://www.tbae.state.tx.us/PublicSearch/
Exp Date: 05/31/2010
Cert Date: 02/11/1975
deep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 06:22 PM   #25
LashL

So, he had nothing to do with the design of the Pyramid building contrary to the assertions of AE "truth"ers; AE's "40-year architect" claim is still bogus; and the fellow continues to struggle with residential bedroom addition projects.

Good to know.
Old 30th August 2009, 08:09 PM   #26
Lenbrazil
Muse

It turns out he got his first architecture license in Texas in 1975*. This fits with his claim to have gotten a masters from Rice** and explains the 6 year gap between graduation from UA and getting licensed in CA.

* http://www.tbae.state.tx.us/PublicSearch/
** http://www.ae911truth.org/profile.php?uid=996622

I have not been able to confirm AE911T’s claim he worked for William L. Pereira and Associates the firm that designed the TA Pyramid. This is quite doubtful because:

1) no one else not even the architect himself says this
2) according to a site citing Dun and Bradstreet he started Barasch Architects & Associates Inc in 1977* the same year he earned his license in California and he seems to have spent most of the six years following his graduation from UA getting his masters degree and architecture license in Texas.
3) his career since starting his own firm is hardly one of a prominent architect

Since UA is hundreds of miles from LA where Pereira was based at best he might have been a summer or on leave intern there.

His claim to have "over 40 years experience" indicates either he is
- bad at basic math
- prone to exaggeration an/or
- for some reason counts his undergraduate years as part of his "experience", I wonder if he would hire a freshly graduated architect who claimed to have "nearly 4 years experience"

*The current page says the company has been “in Business” for 32 years
http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_chgp1g while the cached version says it was started in 1977 http://tinyurl.com/n6afne. There are links to the actual D & B info is anyone is willing to pay or already has access.
Lenbrazil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 07:58 PM   #27
AZCat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lenbrazil View Post
It turns out he got his first architecture license in Texas in 1975*. This fits with his claim to have gotten a masters from Rice** and explains the 6 year gap between graduation from UA and getting licensed in CA.
There would be a gap anyway, because of the experience requirement for licensing. I don't know what it was back then for architects, but 4-6 years is pretty typical (on top of a bachelor's degree). For example, mechanical engineers have to have 3 years of experience + a BS for California and 4 years + a BS for Arizona.
AZCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 08:06 PM   #28
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

So, he had nothing to do with the design of the Pyramid building contrary to the assertions of AE "truth"ers; AE's "40-year architect" claim is still bogus; and the fellow continues to struggle with residential bedroom addition projects.

Good to know.
Maybe they meant 40-year old architect?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 08:19 PM   #29
LashL

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Maybe they meant 40-year old architect?
No. See post #23 above.

Gage is just making crap up.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:23 PM   #30
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

No. See post #23 above.

Gage is just making crap up.
I realize that. I was trying to be funny

Edit: the only way this could even be remotely true is if the guy was interning at the firm during his college days. He very well may have worked on the project. But claiming to be part of the design team is an extreme stretch for someone who is just a summer intern.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein

Last edited by Newtons Bit; 31st August 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 10:33 PM   #31
TruthersLie
This space for rent.

no they just suffer from the "we'll round it up and no one will notice" disease.

they have 660 people on their A&E Twoof petition and they say "nearly 700"

so 30ish years experince becomes "a 40 year experienced architect."

I'll leave the bad sexual innuendo jokes out...
TruthersLie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2009, 06:47 AM   #32
Justin39640
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
I realize that. I was trying to be funny

Edit: the only way this could even be remotely true is if the guy was interning at the firm during his college days. He very well may have worked on the project. But claiming to be part of the design team is an extreme stretch for someone who is just a summer intern.
so he got coffee for the design team?
i dont drink coffee myself but i can see how that could be an integral part of a team lol

Last edited by Justin39640; 1st September 2009 at 06:48 AM.
Justin39640 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2009, 12:42 PM   #33
nicepants
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TruthersLie View Post
no they just suffer from the "we'll round it up and no one will notice" disease.

they have 660 people on their A&E Twoof petition and they say "nearly 700"

so 30ish years experince becomes "a 40 year experienced architect."

I'll leave the bad sexual innuendo jokes out...
I could have sworn that the last time I heard him on the radio he was claiming 850.
Old 1st September 2009, 08:27 PM   #34
Bluesky

I had another look at the ae911truth web site the other day.

I went through the petition list and counted 120 architects, and 80 structural/civil engineers... and a bunch of certified lawn engineers and the like. Has anyone been through their list recently?
Bluesky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2009, 10:46 PM   #35
TruthersLie
This space for rent.

There was this blogpost on May 2 nd where someone went through their degreed and licensed list and found that less than half are degreed AND licensed.

http://www.ae911truth.info/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=1

(I love this site btw, but would like to see it updated)

they state
Quote:

A friend of this site recently went through their list of signees and discovered this total included architect and engineering students or other people that worked in the offices. When he eliminated everyone but those with licenses and/or degrees, he found the truth - 284 names. And this was being very generous with the degrees! Several landscape engineers are in this list. There are many electrical engineers and others whose specialty has nothing at all to do with structural engineering.
TruthersLie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2009, 11:27 PM   #36
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

You know, it's actually against the law to call yourself an architect in the UK unless you are, in fact, actually on the Register of Architects.

Gage should come over here........

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2013, 07:26 AM   #37
Lenbrazil
Muse

This came up on another forum:

A few questions about your experience

Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:03 AM
To: Steve@barascharchitects.com

Mr. Barasch,

A few questions about your experience:

AE911T insinuated you were involved with the design of the Transamerica Pyramid and claimed you were "instrumental in the Mark Hopkins Hotel architectural design" but you were an undergraduate when the former was built designed and not yet born when the latter was built. Also you made no mention of this on your AE911T page or your video testimonial. Care to comment?

In spring -summer 2008 on your AE911T profile you claimed to have "40+ years of professional experience" but that would go back to when you were an undergaraduate, do you consider that "professional experience"?

In a video testimonial you claimed your firm worked on buildings over 50, 75 and 110 feet tall but I did not see anything much over 4 stories tall on your website. Can you list some of these high rise buildings? What was your direct involvement in their structural design? And were the frames designed by outside engineers, others at your firm or you?

Len

http://www.barascharchitects.com/projects.php
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Lenbrazil; 5th January 2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: YT link
Old 5th January 2013, 10:40 AM   #38
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Hehe good catch, Len!

Perhaps we could do a dedicated thread to report on individual AE911Truth members, their credentials, and their statements? I could add a little convo I had with Eli Rika, staff writer and (iirc) currently Board member. And a summary on PE licenses.

A longer while ago, Orphia Nay was among some members who wondered if we could poll their signers in a coordiated way, find out if they still believe in that woo etc. But 1,700+ is quite a number if you want to engage them personally,
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2013, 10:55 AM   #39
ozeco41
Philosopher

Do AE911Truth have a similar initiative of enquiring into the credentials of debunkers with the aim of destroying their professional credibility in on line discussions?

I am only familiar with Szamboti and Sarns posting here and Deets some years back on the now defunct Dawkins forum. IIRC none of them lead off with the attack on personal credibility.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2013, 11:28 AM   #40
Justin39640
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post
Do AE911Truth have a similar initiative of enquiring into the credentials of debunkers with the aim of destroying their professional credibility in on line discussions?

I am only familiar with Szamboti and Sarns posting here and Deets some years back on the now defunct Dawkins forum. IIRC none of them lead off with the attack on personal credibility.
Tony always screamed about "anonymous internet posters" (recently, and ironically, parroted by Ergo) and asking for professional creds.

No one put their real names online. They did that themselves. Once you put yourself out there, it's tough to control what happens after. If they cared that much about their privacy, they shouldn't have signed the petition. If they care that much about professional opinion, they should have thought it through prior to signing that petition. If Gage tricked them into signing, well shame on him. If they didn't have their names removed, well... shame on them.

Personally, I wouldn't hire a truther if I knew before hand. Those beliefs (on some technical issues) would lead me to believe they couldn't do the job effectively if at all. I told Tony a few times that I prayed I never had to have the misfortune to work on or (especially) under anything he designed. He might be good at his job, but those beliefs would still put nagging doubts in my mind.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories