ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anita Ikonen , mdc

Old 31st August 2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Uncayimmy
Banned

VFF and the Diaphragm Test

VisionFromFeeling contacted me via Skype last Friday to ask me what I thought of a test where she detects whether a woman has a diaphragm in her vagina or not. The story she related is "I saw a diaphragm!! I really saw it! I have never seen one before! <snip> A woman walked past in the hallway and I was sitting in class and the door was open, so I only saw her as she walked by. But the perception I had was instantaneous and clear. It took me by surprise. I would never have expected to see that."

She wanted to know what I thought about a test protocol where "...I were to pretend to be doing a survey on how many women, of a certain age for instance, use a diaphragm, would that give me a way to check for my accuracy before an actual test? For instance: I look at a woman and if I perceive that she is, I write a small mark somewhere on a card, and if I perceive that she does not have, I write a different kind of mark on that card, and that card is a small questionnaire that simply asks for her age group and whether she is using a diaphragm. "

It should be noted that VFF did not actually confirm that the person she saw was, in fact, wearing a diaphragm. This is also the first time she has ever perceived a diaphragm. She said, "This is actually once again one of my strongest perceptions. So I would definitely consider a test with this, if it could be arranged." Of course, this seems to contradict her claims that she puts no faith in perceptions being real and that it's her "apparent accuracy" that she is investigating.

A diaphragm test would not be a "diversion from the IIG kidney test" but something she can do during the time she waits for a reply from IIG ("the ball is in their hands now, so to speak").

For those who are wondering whether I should be revealing what she sent to me privately, I already told VFF that I would no longer consider any communications from her to be private.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 04:05 PM   #2
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, Swete Jesu.

Please, just stop.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 04:11 PM   #3
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
A woman walked past in the hallway and I was sitting in class and the door was open, so I only saw her as she walked by. But the perception I had was instantaneous and clear.
And of course she'd never agree to a test protocol that tested this claimed ability. (Have her sit in a room, have 10 women walk by the open door at intervals of say 1 minute each--"instantaneous". 5 of the women would have diaphragms and 5 not, and the roll of a 10 sided die determines the sequence. VFF has a sheet of paper numbered 1 through 10, and on each one she writes down "Yes" or "No"--the "Yes" meaning "has a diaphragm" and the "No" meaning does not. If she doesn't get all 10 right, she will admit that she doesn't have this claimed ability.) Instead, she'd want the women to be in the same room with her and sit for 15 minutes (or an hour or whatever).
Old 31st August 2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

To make the test easier the women could use Tampax, she should be able to see that just as well or better.
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 05:05 PM   #5
shandyjan
Master Poster

Here we go again.....
UY... cant you take your time and stop John Edward or someone who is expanding the woo, I really think all this is just giving too much attention, it'll never end!
Old 31st August 2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Uncayimmy
Banned

Originally Posted by shandyjan View Post
Here we go again.....
UY... cant you take your time and stop John Edward or someone who is expanding the woo, I really think all this is just giving too much attention, it'll never end!
1) John Edward doesn't send me Skype messages.

2) I happen to think that if somebody put their efforts towards discrediting John Edward before he had a chance to perfect his act, you probably never would have heard of him.

3) Whether VFF wants attention or not is immaterial to whether that attention discredits her or not. If the migraine group she contacted happens to stop by here in their research and sees that the person who contacted them about "healing" also thinks she can detect diaphragms in the vagina, I think that's a good thing.

4) Your response really has nothing to do with the subject of my post.

5) Nobody is stopping you from going after John Edward.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Empress
Piggish

Oh good god. Just when you think it can't possibly get any worse she comes up with this.

UY, you have a hell of a lot more patience than I do. I'm duly impressed.
Old 31st August 2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Giggywig
Master Poster

Seems like an easy enough test to perform. So it will never happen.
Giggywig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 05:42 PM   #9
bickerer
Critical Thinker

I initially interpreted that "diaphragm" in horror as being her thoracic diaphragm.... and in her vagina but having picked myself up off the floor and realizing my error, have come to pretty much the same conclusion as NoZed Avenger. When does it stop? Can she detect a build-up of earwax? Or the sandwich I had for lunch? Beef or ham?? Mayo or mustard?? White bread or brown?
bickerer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

Originally Posted by bickerer View Post
I initially interpreted that "diaphragm" in horror as being her thoracic diaphragm.... and in her vagina but having picked myself up off the floor and realizing my error, have come to pretty much the same conclusion as NoZed Avenger. When does it stop? Can she detect a build-up of earwax? Or the sandwich I had for lunch? Beef or ham?? Mayo or mustard?? White bread or brown?
Time will tell.
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Kariboo
Muse

Originally Posted by UncaYimmy View Post
and that card is a small questionnaire that simply asks for her age group and whether she is using a diaphragm. "
Obviously she would have to set it up a little better than that.

One thing is asking about anti conception devices (as in what kind do you use ...multiple choice). But what is important for Vff is to know if someone is wearing a diaphragm at that moment not if they use it in general. A bit personal but whatever.

JACK: My God, you're right. And that time you predicted that Rosario was gonna fall, and then you pushed her down the stairs.
Kariboo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 06:08 PM   #12
shandyjan
Master Poster

Touche!
OK I will just avoid the VFF threads...they all read the same and I'm sure you know what youre doing

Last edited by shandyjan; 31st August 2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: What the heck
shandyjan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 06:11 PM   #13
bookitty
Philosopher

If this person is claiming to see a foreign object within the body of a person, there should be a less icky test. (Yes, I know "icky" isn't scientific) Pace makers, titanium bone implants and breast augmentation leap to mind.

Or perhaps, given the previous threads, VFF is trying to come up with something too difficult. Getting volunteers for this one might be problematic. Then she gets to say that the JREF "wouldn't" test her.
bookitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 06:19 PM   #14
GeeMack
Banned

Because women will be walking around wearing a diaphragm just in case? I mean, I'm not a woman or anything, and I don't really know the (pun intended) ins and outs of using a diaphragm. But from my understanding, it is to be inserted shortly before having sex, and would generally be removed shortly after? Doesn't it generally entail the use of contraceptive jelly? Isn't there a sort of time limit on its effectiveness for a particular, uh, session?

Hey, Anita, if you're reading this...

Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
Feel free to apply skepticism and call me a liar and a fraud.

You are, without a shred of a doubt, a liar and a fraud.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 06:24 PM   #15
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

Wearing a diaphragm longer then the recommended time increases the risk of toxic shock syndrome. I'll have to go research the time but that may have a bearing on the test (yes I know, there will probably never be a test.)

ETA:

In rare cases, women have developed toxic shock syndrome after leaving a diaphragm or a cervical cap in too long. You should keep a diaphragm in for no more than six hours after sex; don't leave it in longer than 24 hours even if you have sex again.

https://www.caremark.com/wps/portal/...RCES?topic=tss

Last edited by Audible Click; 31st August 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 31st August 2009, 06:49 PM   #16
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Audible Click View Post
Wearing a diaphragm longer then the recommended time increases the risk of toxic shock syndrome. I'll have to go research the time but that may have a bearing on the test (yes I know, there will probably never be a test.)

ETA:

In rare cases, women have developed toxic shock syndrome after leaving a diaphragm or a cervical cap in too long. You should keep a diaphragm in for no more than six hours after sex; don't leave it in longer than 24 hours even if you have sex again.

https://www.caremark.com/wps/portal/...RCES?topic=tss
Well, it has to be noted that they aren't the most comfortable device to use. And, you know, they're not contact lenses, Anita. Women don't generally include their diaphragm in their morning routine and then waltz through their day in the hope they might get lucky at some point.

Plus, and I'm sure I'm not the only woman to feel this way - to be asked by a complete stranger, for no legitimate reason, if a) I use a diaphragm; and b) if the device is currently in place, would be a tad out of line.

Last edited by desertgal; 31st August 2009 at 06:53 PM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 06:54 PM   #17
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

This is another classic for VFF. We all know she has no intention of doing any test - ever. She never will. She will just keep suggesting more strange and absurd tests while ignoring the simple ones because she doesn't want the tests to actually ever occur.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 06:55 PM   #18
Farencue
Critical Thinker

Frightening stuff.
Not the diaphragm but the ongoing ploys for attention.
Farencue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 07:05 PM   #19
JWideman
Graduate Poster

Pretty much untestable and even more ridiculous than usual.
JWideman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 07:09 PM   #20
Empress
Piggish

I'd like to know how she's going to verify if the victim is telling the truth about whether or not a diaphram is being currently employed.

Thank FSM I'm not eligible to be part of this "study"!
*shudder*
Old 31st August 2009, 07:14 PM   #21
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
Women don't generally include their diaphragm in their morning routine and then waltz through their day in the hope they might get lucky at some point.

Thanks, desertgal. That's more or less how I had it figured.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 07:23 PM   #22
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Given the problems with devising a protocol with a diaphragm, why not just use something that could be easily placed into a person's orifice and easily detected, such as a a 1/2 inch steel ball bearing. A variety of orifices could be used for the test, and it would not have to be discriminatory, people of any gender could volunteer. Half of the 40 volunteers would be randomly assigned to the ball bearing group, the other half would get a placebo, which would be a 1/2 inch slice of a Hebrew National All Beef Frank.
The volunteers would express their preference for the orifice to receive the offering and a panel of judges will check said orifices for foreign material, such as small rodents, which could contaminate the test.
The claimant would have one minute to tell if the ball bearing was present in each person of not. A pass counts as a miss. The data are to be analyzed with the binomial test, with p and q = .5 and alpha < .01. Since this a one tailed test, that would be 28 correct out of 40 guesses.

Last edited by Jeff Corey; 31st August 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 07:30 PM   #23
Farencue
Critical Thinker

Splendid idea!
Farencue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 07:37 PM   #24
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
The volunteers would express their preference for the orifice to receive the offering and a panel of judges will check said orifices for foreign material, such as small rodents, which could contaminate the test.

Dammit, Lemmiwinks!
Old 31st August 2009, 07:49 PM   #25
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

I admit I had to google to get the South Park reference. I feel like such a gerbil.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 08:04 PM   #26
Jonquill
Critical Thinker

According to Wiki - "in 2002 only 0.2% of American women were using a diaphragm as their primary method of contraception"

And no wonder - they sound horrid.
Jonquill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 08:16 PM   #27
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by Jonquill View Post
According to Wiki - "in 2002 only 0.2% of American women were using a diaphragm as their primary method of contraception"

So it does make me wonder about the chances of running into a person on the street who is currently wearing (is that the right word, wearing?) a diaphragm compared to the chances of running into a person missing a kidney. Especially considering that a person missing a kidney will be missing it 24/7, but a person with a diaphragm currently inserted at any given moment, of the very few who use one at all, and out in public for god's sake, would be, I'd guess, pretty rare.

This one will be ready for the laughing dogs soon, very soon.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:32 PM   #28
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GeeMack View Post
So it does make me wonder about the chances of running into a person on the street who is currently wearing (is that the right word, wearing?) a diaphragm compared to the chances of running into a person missing a kidney. Especially considering that a person missing a kidney will be missing it 24/7, but a person with a diaphragm currently inserted at any given moment, of the very few who use one at all, and out in public for god's sake, would be, I'd guess, pretty rare.

This one will be ready for the laughing dogs soon, very soon.
I'd say the chances of encountering diaphragm wearing women are very high if all one has to do to 'encounter' them is to conjure their existence up out of thin air and put them in an anecdote.

In reality? Not so much.

'Soon' has arrived.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:47 PM   #29
Uncayimmy
Banned

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
Women don't generally include their diaphragm in their morning routine and then waltz through their day in the hope they might get lucky at some point.
Another bubble burst.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:10 PM   #30
Uncayimmy
Banned

Which is roughly about the same percentage (estimated) of people born with one kidney. What a co-winky-dink! I didn't realize the percentage of diaphragm users was so small. Besides being a ridiculous test for other reasons, it's just not practical to find test subjects. So, I guess in a way it's perfect!
Old 31st August 2009, 09:13 PM   #31
Jonquill
Critical Thinker

The idea of suddenly seeing into a random stangers private parts seems quite incodceivable to me.

Seriously though what would even trigger that thought? It's almost dream like isn't it, just the randomness of it seems odd. Aside from whether you believe that what are perceiving is actually real or not.
Jonquill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 09:48 PM   #32
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

Back on topic. It will be interesting if Anita posts about this latest talent and wants a protocol for a test.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:49 PM   #33
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoZed Avenger View Post
Oh, Swete Jesu.

Please, just stop.
I have to second this- it must be obvious to all by now what this is
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 10:08 PM   #34
Uncayimmy
Banned

The idea of suddenly seeing into a random stangers private parts seems quite incodceivable to me.

Seriously though what would even trigger that thought? It's almost dream like isn't it, just the randomness of it seems odd. Aside from whether you believe that what are perceiving is actually real or not.
VFF told me, "The reason I saw it is because it produced a feeling of imbalance in the vibrational information of the body, like something that is not natural." As I said before, based on everything I've heard from her both publicly and privately, I get the impression that she gets a "feeling" about somebody and then her imagination creates the associated imagery. Her ghost stories, though she claims they are not related, are really examples of the same experience. She saw Ben Franklin like she wanted to see him.

The question you bring up is what I asked myself. Was there a TV show recently about diaphragms? Did it come up in conversation somehow? She told us, "It took me by surprise. I would never have expected to see that." Maybe not consciously, but how about subconsciously? I don't dream much, but whenever I do, I have always been able to associate my dreams with events or thoughts in the recent past. Sometimes it takes a while for me to realize what it was because our brains don't keep all the details of every moment in our minds.
Old 31st August 2009, 10:15 PM   #35
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by NoZed Avenger View Post
Oh, Swete Jesu.

Please, just stop.
Thirded....but with better speeling.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 10:18 PM   #36
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
If this person is claiming to see a foreign object within the body of a person, there should be a less icky test. (Yes, I know "icky" isn't scientific) Pace makers, titanium bone implants and breast augmentation leap to mind.
Since I sport two beautiful titanium hips, you ought to see my pelvic x-ray. Pretty scary. So if VFF can see anything foreign in the body, a large hip joint replacement unit should be it. And they are pretty common.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 10:24 PM   #37
Jonquill
Critical Thinker

Didn't Wayne the volunteer skeptic have a diaphragm problem of a different nature?
Old 31st August 2009, 10:32 PM   #38
Farencue
Critical Thinker

No, he had a tired shoulder and an Adam's apple I believe.
Old 1st September 2009, 01:15 AM   #39
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

What about a menstrual cup, Mooncup or similar? More women use those than do diaphragms (I have no statistics to show this, just anecdotal discussions).

However while I wouldn't object to answering a survey about sanitary protection, I would find it embarrassing to be asked "and do you have your mooncup in place right now?" in a public setting.
Old 1st September 2009, 01:28 AM   #40
skeen
Critical Thinker

*yawn*
skeen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal