ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th September 2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Let's celebrate!

Old 30th September 2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Skeptics are a bunch of know-nothing no-gooders!!

...What?! Why can't this blasphemy thing work both ways?

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Epok
Thinker

That image is awesome. Do you mind if I borrow it for a little while? I'll bring it back as soon as I am done.
Epok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Arcade22
Illuminator

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 09:41 AM   #5
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Originally Posted by Epok View Post
That image is awesome. Do you mind if I borrow it for a little while? I'll bring it back as soon as I am done.
Go right ahead.
Old 30th September 2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Madalch
The Jester

I'm going to watch "Life of Brian" in celebration. And that Welsh Tart of a mayor can't stop me!!
Old 30th September 2009, 10:07 AM   #7
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Well wholly jumping jesus on a crutch!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Rasmus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post

Because there is a difference between an insult and a blasphemy, even thugh they may overlap.

For me to say that there is no god, or even just that he doesn't love me would be blasphemous. What do you think would be the equivalent for an imagined "other side"?

Last time I checked, atheists didn't have any holy truths.
Old 30th September 2009, 10:19 AM   #9
DJW
Muse

Yeah, we atheists seem to see a lot of wholey untruths.
DJW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 11:11 AM   #10
ToddH
Critical Thinker

ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 11:35 AM   #11
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Because there is a difference between an insult and a blasphemy, even thugh they may overlap.

For me to say that there is no god, or even just that he doesn't love me would be blasphemous. What do you think would be the equivalent for an imagined "other side"?

Atheist blasphemy is something like, "God exists!"
Old 30th September 2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Third Eye Open
Graduate Poster

Why did Jesus get all the chicks? Cause he was hung like this!
Third Eye Open is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

International Blasphemy Day?

Really...?

Oh, Kurious Kathy, DOC, Hamelkin, Radrook, Plumjam, and all the other Christian parasites who infest this forum:

**** JESUS!!!

Mod WarningEdited, breach of Rule 10; do not curse in your posts.
Posted By:Locknar
"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"

Last edited by Locknar; 30th September 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Originally Posted by Third Eye Open View Post

You get a cookie.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Originally Posted by Mark A. Siefert View Post
International Blasphemy Day?

Really...?

Oh, Kurious Kathy, DOC, Hamelkin, Radrook, Plumjam, and all the other Christian parasites who infest this forum:

**** JESUS!!!
Edited by Locknar:  Moderated content removed.
But if ThirdEyeOpen's correct, wouldn't that require a little much lube?

Last edited by Locknar; 30th September 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Nonpareil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

This one got the JEEZ-us freaks into a tizzy not to long ago:

"As the Corpse Lord knows, men today are ill-trained--ignoble: naught but wet anuses dribbling childish terrors and superstitions! Thus is knowledge--history, science, the world of the ancients--lost, never to be regained!" --M.A.R. Barker, "The Man of Gold"
Achán hiNidráne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 12:33 PM   #17
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pure_Argent View Post
But if ThirdEyeOpen's correct, wouldn't that require a little much lube?
Not at all, Jesus likes his buggery rough.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:47 PM   #18
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Things to say with arms outstretched during Easter services:

"Hey! I can see my house from here!"

"... helluva way to spend the last days of Spring Break..."

"Do you have the time?"

"Don't get cross with me!"

... ?
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 01:07 PM   #19
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
But, they do have empirical facts, that they can then do other things with.

So, I was working under the hypothesis that the closest equivalent to blaphemy against atheists would be to insult their knowledge and accomplishments.

It wouldn't be a complete Blasphemy Day without at least a token effort in that direction.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 01:14 PM   #20
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

For atheists, every day is Blasphemy day.

(Two points for anyone who gets the ref).
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 01:25 PM   #21
Marquis de Carabas
Penultimate Amazing

God is incredible.
Marquis de Carabas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 01:25 PM   #22
Jason Smith
Thinker

My humble contributions:

Does god have a penis or a vagina?

Jesus was not white.
Jason Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 01:48 PM   #23
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jason Smith View Post
My humble contributions:

Does god have a penis or a vagina?

Jesus was not white.
Maybe. But waz He wong?
Old 30th September 2009, 01:53 PM   #24
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post

It really doesn't. Seriously. Blasphemy is the " irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct."
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 02:00 PM   #25
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Marquis de Carabas View Post
God is incredible.
I read that one too quickly, and thought first it was "God is inedible." I suppose that's true too. Gives you gas.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 02:07 PM   #26
Mick Houlahan
Thinker

"...the feet, THE FEET!"
Mick Houlahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 03:04 PM   #27
Third Eye Open
Graduate Poster

Third Eye Open is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 03:25 PM   #28
Olowkow
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Atheist blasphemy is something like, "God exists!"
I hit my finger with a hammer, and shouted "Charles H. Darwin". (rim shot...)
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 04:20 PM   #29
porch
Muse

I'm pretty meh about this whole blasphemy thing. I mean, right now I don't have anyone living in the apartment upstairs. I'm glad there's no one clomping around over my head, but I find it hard to get pissed at a non-existent neighbour, if you know what I mean.

Maybe I'm missing the point. Is it to fight back against the people that insist that I do have an upstairs neighbour who is going to kick my ass any second? Lucky for me, I don't have too many people like that in my life.
porch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 04:25 PM   #30
brodski
Tea-Time toad

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

They weren't that funny!
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 06:08 PM   #31
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Not at all, Jesus likes his buggery rough.
Hey! Kneel down for Jesus!!

and remember: Jesus loves the little children.!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 07:15 PM   #32
joobz
Tergiversator

Blasphemy!!
Blas for you!
Blas for everybody!

-Eddie Izzard
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 07:51 PM   #33
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

One Nation Under God...http://nowscape.com/atheism/images/O..._Under_god.gif
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 08:19 PM   #34
Achán hiNidráne
Illuminator

**** JESUS!!!

Mod WarningEdited, breach of Rule 10; do not curse in your posts.
Posted By:Locknar
Oh come on! It's Blasphemy Day! Don't you like Blasphemy Day???

Aha! I knew it! The JREF forum moderators re will aggressors in the War Against Blasphemy Day!
Old 30th September 2009, 08:59 PM   #35
Baylor
Philosopher

This is the perfect thread to tell my story. I had a friend who back in the 90's, when AOL was big, would have a really long offense screen name, like mynameisjesusandirapelittleboyswithabloody****. Then he would go to Christian chat rooms and preach the glorious gospel of Jesus. So it went something like this:

mynameisjesusandirapelittleboyswithabloody****: Have faith in Jesus and he will save you.
mynameisjesusandirapelittleboyswithabloody****: You don't have to spend an eternity in hell, the key is to ask Jesus for salvation.

God, I miss the Clinton years.

Last edited by Baylor; 30th September 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 09:02 PM   #36
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

What an insipid exercise in mental masturbation.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.

Last edited by UnrepentantSinner; 30th September 2009 at 09:04 PM.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2009, 03:39 PM   #37
ugot2bekidding
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Third Eye Open View Post
Or...how do you get a blond into church? Tell her there's a guy in there hung like this!

Jesus to the two thieves.."hey, I can see my house from here!"
ugot2bekidding is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2009, 04:50 PM   #38
six7s
veretic

www.catholicleague.org/ Catholic League: For Religious and Civil Rights
Quote:
Catholic League president Bill Donohue spoke to this event today:

<snip/>

They are all such phonies. The stated purpose of Blasphemy Day has nothing to do with any religion but Islam, yet there is not one scheduled event insulting Muslims. We can only guess why. So who have they chosen to mock? You guessed it—Christians.
What Bill misses (or ignores?) is that for us 'phonies', his messiah is exactly the same as Mohammed, with the only difference being that, for many who want to use blasphemy to influence our neighbours, its most efficient to mock his particular flavour of woo

Those who are most easily offended should be, often

As is so often the case, PZ Myers hits the nail ('scuse the pun) on the head:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/ Bill Donohue is getting anticipatory apoplexy

Quote:
Ol' Bill really doesn't get it. The purpose of the day is to jeer at religion, not to do his dirty work of attacking just one sectarian slice of the whole pie of absurdity.

Last edited by six7s; 1st October 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: tyop coerrctoin
six7s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2009, 06:11 PM   #39
Hux
Graduate Poster

Isn't Blasphemy a victimless crime?
Hux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2009, 06:18 PM   #40
six7s
veretic

Originally Posted by Hux View Post
Isn't Blasphemy a victimless crime?
Some people think so...

I AGREE

Blasphemy Is A Victimless Crime
Richard Dawkins @ UC Berkeley

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy