ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th December 2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Teddy
New Blood

I can hear electricity!

Mod Info Although this thread discusses the Million Dollar Challenge, it does not appear to be a bona fide attempt to define a challenge that is being made. It mostly is a discussion of a purported paranormal power. As such, I am moving it to the more appropriate forum. When Teddy comes up with a specific discussion (as opposed to this general one) of what he would do for the challenge, a thread in the MDC forum might be appropriate. At this point, it is not.
Posted By:Tricky

Hello! I'll cut to the chase and include the backstory below. I have the paranormal ability to hear electricity, and am wondering if I can apply for the million dollars!

See, I was googling weather or not you can hear electricity, and most of the results were from people who thought that was preposterous and that people who can "hear" it must really be insane and crazy.

I was googling that because I had been googling the so-called "Taos Hum" and other similar hums, where people hear this hum that others cannot hear.

And, I was googling that, because here at work, not an hour ago, I heard a unexplanible hum! I investigated it (I'm a security guard) and it turns out it's coming from the electric room. I always hear hums from that room, but this was very loud. I had been worried for a minute that the "Taos Hum" was coming local, but no, the explanation was more reasonable.

I can also "always hear" the hum in other things, such as old 'tube' TV sets. I once proved this to my friend at high school. We walked past a classroom with doors closed, and I told him I could hear a TV on in there. He said he could not hear any voices, and I said of course not - the TV is just on, there is no sound coming from the speakers - the sound is coming from the monitor. He looked at me like I was from another planet. So I knocked on the door, and a teacher said "hello?" and I said "Do you have the TV in there?" he walked to the door, opened it, said "yes", and pointed to it. He wanted to know if I was sent to get it - I said no, that I could "hear" it from outside the door. The TV was not playing anything, it was just "on". He too looked at me like I was from another planet. I just walked away.

Lastly. I am notorious for trying to kill two birds with one stone. I love getting myself into win-win situations.

Now. Combining all of that.

I wish to apply for the million dollars based on the idea that the fact I can "hear" EM fields is "paranormal" - IE, cannot be explained by science.

One of two things will happen
A - you will accept my claim while snickering, I will do all the paperwork, come and do the test, finding TVs and other such things behind doors, and walk away with a million dollars
or, far more likely,
B - you will reject my claim based on the fact that it IS indeed possible to "hear" EM fields

Regardless, I get proven right :P

PS. This was written and saved hours before it was posted as there is no instant activation for this forum.

Last edited by Tricky; 14th December 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Teddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 09:41 PM   #2
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Hi Teddy,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know if what you are doing is paranormal. I can hear when the TV is on but it's on some setting where there is no sound or picture. I don't think this is that unusual. You are hearing the TV humming, you are not hearing electricity.

If you could really hear electricity, you'd be able to hear it in the wires in the wall.

Also, to apply for the prize, you would need to have some sort of media presence and an affidavit from an academic institution verifying that you have this ability.

However, there's always www.iigwest.org. Their challenge is for only $50,000, but if you win, you will certainly get the media presence and academic attention necessary for the Million Dollar Challenge.

But somehow, I don't think that they will find your ability to listen for a TV hum through a closed door to be especially "paranormal."

Ward
wardenclyffe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
See, I was googling weather or not you can hear electricity...

... I heard a unexplanible hum! ...it's coming from the electric room. I always hear hums from that room, but this was very loud...

I can also "always hear" the hum in other things, such as old 'tube' TV sets.
Unless I'm missing something, can't everybody?

You should hear the hum and snap of a switchyard outside of a power plant!

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Teddy
New Blood

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
Hi Teddy,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know if what you are doing is paranormal. I can hear when the TV is on but it's on some setting where there is no sound or picture. I don't think this is that unusual. You are hearing the TV humming, you are not hearing electricity.

If you could really hear electricity, you'd be able to hear it in the wires in the wall.

Also, to apply for the prize, you would need to have some sort of media presence and an affidavit from an academic institution verifying that you have this ability.

However, there's always WONT LET ME QUOTE THE LINK. Their challenge is for only $50,000, but if you win, you will certainly get the media presence and academic attention necessary for the Million Dollar Challenge.

But somehow, I don't think that they will find your ability to listen for a TV hum through a closed door to be especially "paranormal."

Ward
Thanks. As mentioned in the latter part of my message, half of the reason I wanted to post this here was so that it would be rejected on the grounds that it's not a crazy idea. Having the most well known group of skeptics on your side certainly helps in an argument :P

I'm also sort of curious of perpetual motion machines qualify for the challenge, and if so, what defines "perpetual motion". The earth, for example, keeps going around the sun, but no one thinks of it as a perpetual motion machine.
Teddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 09:49 PM   #5
screensnot
Scholar

Lots of components emit noise when electric currents pass through them. Transformers, for one.
screensnot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 09:58 PM   #6
ThatSoundAgain
Graduate Poster

In case of the TV, that produces audible sound. Depending on the TV and your hearing in combination. I understand it's this component that's responsible - wiki lists the frequency of it as 15-50 kHz. 15 kHz is well within audible range, and it's possible you could hear subharmonics of the ones tuned even higher.

In any case, this sound is around the upper limit of the human hearing's frequency range, which is why many people can't hear it. Sadly, you'll probably lose the ability gradually as your sense of hearing deteriorates naturally. I can hear many old ones.

And yes, many transformers hum, too, but at a much lower frequency.

So you win
ThatSoundAgain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

<snip>

I'm also sort of curious of perpetual motion machines qualify for the challenge, and if so, what defines "perpetual motion". The earth, for example, keeps going around the sun, but no one thinks of it as a perpetual motion machine.

It's not. You just haven't waited long enough for it to stop. Be patient.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Doubt
Philosopher

Thanks. As mentioned in the latter part of my message, half of the reason I wanted to post this here was so that it would be rejected on the grounds that it's not a crazy idea. Having the most well known group of skeptics on your side certainly helps in an argument :P
So far your claim does not sound paranormal. Many electrical devices make noise. Some people notice them and some do not. Hearing electricity would be paranormal if that is what was happening. You will have to work out what you are really doing. Can you hear a flashlight? How about an ordinary light bulb in an AC circuit?

Even if you can really do it, you are going to have to follow the rules. There is more to this than just making a claim.

Quote:
perpetual motion claims can qualify. Orbiting bodies, be they planets or satellites are not machines nor is their motion perpetual. Orbits decay over time.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Furcifer

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post
Unless I'm missing something, can't everybody?

You should hear the hum and snap of a switchyard outside of a power plant!
Better yet, try doing rounds in the switch yard on a humid day
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 10:34 PM   #10
Furcifer

Hello! I'll cut to the chase and include the backstory below. I have the paranormal ability to hear electricity, and am wondering if I can apply for the million dollars!

See, I was googling weather or not you can hear electricity, and most of the results were from people who thought that was preposterous and that people who can "hear" it must really be insane and crazy.

I was googling that because I had been googling the so-called "Taos Hum" and other similar hums, where people hear this hum that others cannot hear.

And, I was googling that, because here at work, not an hour ago, I heard a unexplanible hum! I investigated it (I'm a security guard) and it turns out it's coming from the electric room. I always hear hums from that room, but this was very loud. I had been worried for a minute that the "Taos Hum" was coming local, but no, the explanation was more reasonable.

I can also "always hear" the hum in other things, such as old 'tube' TV sets. I once proved this to my friend at high school. We walked past a classroom with doors closed, and I told him I could hear a TV on in there. He said he could not hear any voices, and I said of course not - the TV is just on, there is no sound coming from the speakers - the sound is coming from the monitor. He looked at me like I was from another planet. So I knocked on the door, and a teacher said "hello?" and I said "Do you have the TV in there?" he walked to the door, opened it, said "yes", and pointed to it. He wanted to know if I was sent to get it - I said no, that I could "hear" it from outside the door. The TV was not playing anything, it was just "on". He too looked at me like I was from another planet. I just walked away.

Lastly. I am notorious for trying to kill two birds with one stone. I love getting myself into win-win situations.

I wish to apply for the million dollars based on the idea that the fact I can "hear" EM fields is "paranormal" - IE, cannot be explained by science.

A - you will accept my claim while snickering, I will do all the paperwork, come and do the test, finding TVs and other such things behind doors, and walk away with a million dollars
or, far more likely,
B - you will reject my claim based on the fact that it IS indeed possible to "hear" EM fields

PS. This was written and saved hours before it was posted as there is no instant activation for this forum.
Hi Teddy, welcome to the forum. This should be an entertaining experience. Do you even know what an EM field is? It sounds like you don't.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 10:47 PM   #11
BTMO
Overlord of the Underthings

I can hear electricity too!

I have a number of devices that assist with this. They are (and stay with me - this is spooky) coils of wire wrapped around magnets, connected to simple cones of paper!

BUT... it gets better! I can *see* electricity too! Some of the coil devices I have are connected to a flat screen that glows in response to electrical signals that are fed to my house by a wire.

And sometimes, when the weather is just right, I can see enormous bolts of electricity in the sky!
Old 8th December 2009, 10:49 PM   #12
Uncayimmy
Banned

Hearing is how the body detects the vibrations of air molecules. So, the question is, "can electricity cause air molecules to vibrate?" Yes. The most common device is called an audio speaker. You know, like your stereo. It can also cause other things to vibrate like jackhammers.

So, then you have to ask yourself if what you hear is caused by electricity causing something to vibrate. Touch it. If you feel the vibration, then there's a good chance you can hear it. If you can't feel it, then plug your ears. If you can't hear it anymore or the volume is reduced, then you know that you are detecting air molecules vibrating.

If neither of those techniques answer your question, understand that the brain is an electrical device. Could an electrical field disturb your brainwaves enough to make you think you can hear something? Sure can. I'm not saying I could make it happen in UncaYimmy's Kitchen of Science, but it's certainly plausible.

That said, stick with first few suggestions and see if that helps you answer the question yourself.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 11:59 PM   #13
CelticRose
Graduate Poster

This isn't paranormal. I can hear TV's and monitors when they're switched on, even when others can't. I can also hear the hum from flourescent lights.

Have you ever had yourself tested for Asperger's? Aspies are often able to hear sounds that others can't. Here's a quick test to give you an idea of whether you're likely to have it. Of course, this is no substitute for a proper diagnosis by a doctor. http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Be yourself no matter what they say. - Sting

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/
CelticRose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2009, 02:02 AM   #14
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

It depends on what your actual claim is.

You can 'hear' the electricity in a TV? So can quite a few other people. Nothing paranormal about that at all.

If, on the other hand, you are claiming that you can 'hear' electricity, for example, when it is running through wires (so we could let you listen to a series of wires and tell us which ones had power running through them), that might qualify as paranormal.

Quite frankly, it just sounds to me like your hearing is a little more sensitive than some of the people around you; its no more 'paranormal' than me being able to hear sounds that my grandpa can't because his hearing is more limited than mine.

The problem seems to lay in your claim that you can "hear" electricity. No, you can't. What you can hear is vibrations made by electricity in a perfectly normal and verifiable manner when it interacts with certain kinds of equipment.
Old 9th December 2009, 02:32 AM   #15
JWideman
Graduate Poster

Welcome to the forum! Glad you got the answer you wanted.
As for the Earth and perpetual motion, Newton's Laws of Motion addresses this. That is, a body in motion will stay in motion unless other forces act upon it. Since there's no friction in space, the Earth will keep orbiting until the sun expands into a red giant and absorbs it.
You may be confused because man-made satellites in orbit around the Earth eventually come down. This is because they are affected by the friction of the Earth's atmosphere as they aren't quite out of it.
JWideman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2009, 03:31 AM   #16
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

or, far more likely,

Hi Teddy and welcome to the forum.

I will start off by suggesting you stick to one claim only. Experience shows it is difficult enough to design one test.

Can you please phrase one claim as precisely as possible? Please read the rules first. They are found here.
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2009, 02:52 PM   #17
Brattus

Originally Posted by BTMO View Post
I can hear electricity too!

I have a number of devices that assist with this. They are (and stay with me - this is spooky) coils of wire wrapped around magnets, connected to simple cones of paper!

BUT... it gets better! I can *see* electricity too! Some of the coil devices I have are connected to a flat screen that glows in response to electrical signals that are fed to my house by a wire.

And sometimes, when the weather is just right, I can see enormous bolts of electricity in the sky!
Are you from the future?
Please don't take over our world with your super science ways.
Wwhwhwhat's next? You will take my soul and put it into a frame for everyone to see?
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2009, 11:00 PM   #18
BTMO
Overlord of the Underthings

Originally Posted by Brattus View Post
Are you from the future?
Please don't take over our world with your super science ways.
Wwhwhwhat's next? You will take my soul and put it into a frame for everyone to see?

WTF!??!?!

I've been found out!
Old 13th December 2009, 08:51 AM   #19
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I can hear the hum of my Strat's single coil pickups quite well. I'm even writing an instrumental piece right now that I'm calling Sixty Cycle Hum.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2009, 09:08 AM   #20
calebprime
moleman

I remember when supposedly 'ultrasonic' alarm systems bothered me.

That ended by 30.

By 45, I couldn't hear flyback transformers in my right ear.

Now, 51, I don't hear above 15k in either ear.

as LongsTabber PE would say, cry me a waaaambulance, calebprime.

but I hate that part of aging as much as anything.
Old 13th December 2009, 09:25 AM   #21
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I can hear the hum of my Strat's single coil pickups quite well. I'm even writing an instrumental piece right now that I'm calling Sixty Cycle Hum.
You should call it Dynamo Hum!

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2009, 09:29 AM   #22
quarky
Banned

I can hear my brain.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2009, 09:31 AM   #23
Ysidro
I'm watching you

I could do that since I was a child. There's nothing paranormal or unusual about it. Some, particularly large and/or old, electrical appliances vibrate. Some folks (like us) have sensitivity to the frequencies that they're vibrating at. It's just sound at a level some folks can hear and other folks can't.
Old 13th December 2009, 09:59 AM   #24
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Google up 60 cycle hum, and here is one of the hits:

Mains Hum

Here is another:

60 Cycle Hum is the second full-length album by the Punk band Pulley.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2009, 10:42 AM   #25
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

I don't think the OP is going to apply-I don't even think he's been back since his second post.
Old 13th December 2009, 10:49 AM   #26
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I hate it when they buzz off like that.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2009, 12:43 PM   #27
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post

That ended by 30.

I could hear bat sonar up to about age 30.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2009, 02:29 PM   #28
quarky
Banned

I still hear bats, sometimes. Flying squirrels are way up there, too. Some of my friends can't hear them at night.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2009, 05:09 PM   #29
Furcifer

Is it that people can't hear it, or that they tune it out? For a while when I was a kid we didn't have a TV at home. At school sometimes they'd wheel out the 27" with the top loader to let us watch a movie. The sound drove me nuts. When I'd ask someone if they could hear it they would shake their heads.
Old 13th December 2009, 05:26 PM   #30
KeyserSoze
Scholar

Hearing bat sonar? I'm confused what you guys mean. I go caving a lot and hear bats all the time, very clearly, but it's just normal squeaking sounds. Is there is difference between what you guys say you are hearing?
KeyserSoze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2009, 05:31 PM   #31
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Hearing bat sonar? I'm confused what you guys mean. I go caving a lot and hear bats all the time, very clearly, but it's just normal squeaking sounds. Is there is difference between what you guys say you are hearing?
Those little pings just before they "depth charge" you with guano.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2009, 03:58 AM   #32
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by 3bodyproblem View Post
Is it that people can't hear it, or that they tune it out? For a while when I was a kid we didn't have a TV at home. At school sometimes they'd wheel out the 27" with the top loader to let us watch a movie. The sound drove me nuts. When I'd ask someone if they could hear it they would shake their heads.

I have a mate who's had the same problem his whole life. He hears the 800hz horizontal oscillator as a loud whistle and it drives him to distraction.

Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post

I've done lots of caving too, and all I've ever heard from bats is normal-range chirping sounds, but I've had companions who claimed to hear more than that.

I believe that bat sonar operates between about 20 - 100 khz, which is really only just beyond normal human hearing, so I'm also inclined to believe that some people can hear the clicks and stuff that I can't.

Old 14th December 2009, 04:40 AM   #33
Furcifer

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I have a mate who's had the same problem his whole life. He hears the 800hz horizontal oscillator as a loud whistle and it drives him to distraction.
Looks like our million bucks is already split 3 ways

I'm not sure what the frequency is that I hear. It's certainly higher than 60Hz. I've heard it explained as blood pressure on the ear drum, but it's certainly more noticeable around appliances. Terrible superpower.
Old 14th December 2009, 04:55 AM   #34
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post

That ended by 30.

Oddly enough I was quite severely deaf as a child, while now my hearing is actually better than average for my age and I can still hear things like TVs and those annoying things that are supposed to keep kids off your lawn away from shops.

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I believe that bat sonar operates between about 20 - 100 khz, which is really only just beyond normal human hearing, so I'm also inclined to believe that some people can hear the clicks and stuff that I can't.
It depends a lot on the bats. Not all species use the crazy high pitched clicks. I think a lot of the time when people claim to be able to hear the high pitched stuff, they're just hearing the sounds in the normal hearing range and thinking that because its bats they shouldn't be able to. According to Wiki the sounds go as low as 14kHz, so well within the normal range of hearing even of old and partially deaf people.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2009, 05:24 AM   #35
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
I can hear my brain.
Me too! Could you make it shut up, please?
Old 14th December 2009, 05:30 AM   #36
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by 3bodyproblem View Post
Looks like our million bucks is already split 3 ways

I'm not sure what the frequency is that I hear. It's certainly higher than 60Hz. I've heard it explained as blood pressure on the ear drum, but it's certainly more noticeable around appliances. Terrible superpower.

It just occurs to me that you folks probably tune out the 60 hz hum most of the time, but would notice the 50 hz hum in Australia more than I do, and vice-versa.

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Oddly enough I was quite severely deaf as a child, while now my hearing is actually better than average for my age and I can still hear things like TVs and those annoying things that are supposed to keep kids off your lawn away from shops.

I suffered some unrecoverable hearing loss due to exposure to loud noises (gunfire and gas turbines*), but it's not too severe. I'd say that I haven't yet suffered much loss due to age (55), and if anything, my hearing has become more discerning, if not more acute.

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
It depends a lot on the bats. Not all species use the crazy high pitched clicks. I think a lot of the time when people claim to be able to hear the high pitched stuff, they're just hearing the sounds in the normal hearing range and thinking that because its bats they shouldn't be able to. According to Wiki the sounds go as low as 14kHz, so well within the normal range of hearing even of old and partially deaf people.

That makes perfect sense, and since it aligns with what I was also thinking, this is obviously the winning hypothesis.

Thanks for the added info, Cuddles.

Cheers.

* I wish I had a memoir to write. That would be a great book title.

Old 14th December 2009, 07:29 AM   #37
quarky
Banned

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Me too! Could you make it shut up, please?
I wish.
Old 14th December 2009, 07:38 AM   #38
calebprime
moleman

Hey Quarky,

Shulgin said that MDMA made his tinnitus go away--temporarily.

Confirm?

Deny?

While we're being silly, that is.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:41 PM   #39
Teddy
New Blood

Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I don't think the OP is going to apply-I don't even think he's been back since his second post.
You are 75% correct. I wont be applying (at least until I can figure out how to make a perpetual motion machine - when I do I plan to hook it up to a generator, and sell electricity for like 1 cent under the going price, then make millions - so I guess I wouldn't need just one million. I put a lot of thought into this, like that 3 seconds on the subway last month where I was thinking about regenerative braking and a hill)

I also havent been around but I'm not going away totally. One of these days I want to go ghost hunting with a group of people who wont get scared. Mob scariness is contageous, so I figure that if I do see a ghost, I'd rather be with people who are like "what is that?" than people who are like " RUNNNNNN ITS A GHOSTTTTT"
Old 14th December 2009, 12:54 PM   #40
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

You can't hear electricity, can you?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal