ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , david mabus , Dennis Markuze

Old 22nd July 2012, 11:40 PM   #121
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
You're just part of a friendly Pitchfork and Torch Carrying Club that happened to be in the area, right?

It's hardly surprising that your personal definition of stalking doesn't include the behaviour in which you are yourself indulging.

The public documentation is an end result. The stalking is what you do that leads up to you having something to document.

Stalking is OK as long as your victim remains unaware of it?

From your link:

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.
Glad you and I agree that I am not stalking David.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:44 PM   #122
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Malfie Henpox View Post
By threatening his freedom? In public? By stalking him and posting links to the very things you called spam?

Carry on then.
I agree with you Malfie. And for the record, I was threatened by an idiot on this forum. He was banned (more for being an idiot) but I did nothing further because I've lived my life in the belief that people who threaten will never carry out that threat. It's those who don't threaten you to worry about (or not)......

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:48 PM   #123
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Glad you and I agree that I am not stalking David.

Your happiness is misplaced since it appears to be based on utterly failing to comprehend what my post actually said.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:52 PM   #124
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Pointing out and/or linking to somebody's public posts in a public forum is not "stalking".

Pointing out that he is engaging in activity which he has been ordered by a court not to engage in is not "threatening his freedom", because he is not legally free to engage in those activities.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:57 PM   #125
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Sorry but I can't see how reporting on someone's criminal activities can be considered stalking? Really don't understand where that claim is coming from? Anyone making that claim want to explain their reasoning?
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:01 AM   #126
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Pointing out and/or linking to somebody's public posts in a public forum is not "stalking".

Scouring Youtube looking for them is.

Pointing out that he is engaging in activity which he has been ordered by a court not to engage in is not "threatening his freedom", because he is not legally free to engage in those activities.

Pointing those activities out to the appropriate authorities is reasonable and responsible behaviour.

Posting about them (with links) on a public forum, not so much.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:06 AM   #127
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sorry but I can't see how reporting on someone's criminal activities can be considered stalking?

Reporting a crime that one happens to witness or of which one is indeed the victim is the responsible thing to do.

Actively searching for crimes to report is something else.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 23rd July 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:25 AM   #128
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Scouring Youtube looking for them is.
Define "scouring YouTube". Searching once? Searching for Mabus's name? Searching the word "skeptic"? Krelnik searching his own name and finding it as a tag on a Mabus-created video perhaps?

Pointing those activities out to the appropriate authorities is reasonable and responsible behaviour.

Posting about them (with links) on a public forum, not so much.
What makes it any different from posting about a convention you went to last week? Something being "irresponsible" implies there are potential negative consequences. What might those be in this case?

Krelnik isn't digging for dirt, peeking over his fence, or looking for some kind of innocuous behavior that he can spin as Mabus "violating his sentence"; the violation is blatant and definitive, and public. What's posted to YouTube is accessible and fair game to all.

Last edited by Checkmite; 23rd July 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:42 AM   #129
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Define "scouring YouTube". Searching once? Searching for Mabus's name? Searching the word "skeptic"? Krelnik searching his own name and finding it as a tag on a Mabus-created video perhaps?

None of those things.

Further, I have nothing negative at all to say about Krelnik's activities in relation to this matter and regard him as the obvious and logical point of contact and collator of information relating to Mabus' online activities.

As administrator of a forum which has been targeted by Mabus' I have in fact been party to passing along the appropriate information to Krelnik but not, I hasten to add, by posting the details on a public forum.

What makes it any different from posting about a convention you went to last week?

A very wide range of factors, although I'd say the targeting of an individual is the biggest difference. If one's post about a recently-attended conference consisted entirely of a report on the activities of a single attendee then I'd have no trouble categorising that as stalkerish behaviour.

Something being "irresponsible" implies there are potential negative consequences. What might those be in this case?

Becoming indistinguishable from that which we are purporting to oppose.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 23rd July 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:45 AM   #130
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
rjh01, I think you showed a lack of judgement in posting that video in a public place.

Regards

Orph.

ETA: Ninja'd by a Zombie Mummy!

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 23rd July 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:09 AM   #131
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

As I am not doing any search for David's name or any variation and it would be hard to make a case that posting about a person's activities in one thread is "obsessive attention" then I do not meet Akhenaten's rather strange definition of stalking. There are other ways of finding David's activities without even trying.

Maybe I should accuse myself of stalking myself as I do a regular search of my own name?

I think at this point I should laugh.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:14 AM   #132
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
rjh01, I think you showed a lack of judgement in posting that video in a public place.

Regards

Orph.

ETA: Ninja'd by a Zombie Mummy!
That is something it is possible to make a case about. However a lack of judgement is not what is being discussed. Stalking is being discussed.

a lack of judgement = a matter of opinion.
Stalking = a possible criminal matter.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:19 AM   #133
krelnik
Graduate Poster

I'm not going to address these ridiculous accusations that we are somehow "stalking" Mabus.

I would like to point out that unless you have actually had to administrate a system that is the target of spam and trolling, you have no idea how many person-hours a determined pest like "Mabus" can waste. He's easily cost the skeptical community thousands of person-hours over the last few years, those are hours of largely unpaid volunteer time that could have been spent on productive efforts but were not, because of one man's trolling.

So I really don't care whether his threats are credible or not. His actions come with a cost, and I would like to mitigate that cost.

If asking a court to enforce an order that Mabus entered into of his own free will is the best way to mitigate that cost, then so be it.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:13 PM   #134
Malfie Henpox
Banned

I agree somewhat in that you're not stalking the guy. As it appears what you are actually doing is stalking people who you think might be the guy.

Perhaps stalking is too strong a word though. If I substitute it for 'actively seeking the presence of', I think you'd have to agree, wouldn't you? Which seems odd, considering the apparent lengths folk went to to get rid of him. That it's also being done in public seems off to me. But my opinions count for little, I suppose. I'm just a guy on the internet.
Malfie Henpox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:20 PM   #135
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Reporting a crime that one happens to witness or of which one is indeed the victim is the responsible thing to do.

Actively searching for crimes to report is something else.
That may well be but I don't see how you conclude that behaviour can be called stalking - "busybody" would be the most derogatory descriptor I could think of!
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:31 PM   #136
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by krelnik View Post
I'm not going to address these ridiculous accusations that we are somehow "stalking" Mabus.

It appears that you are.

I would like to point out that unless you have actually had to administrate a system that is the target of spam and trolling, you have no idea how many person-hours a determined pest like "Mabus" can waste.

As mentioned above, I am in that positition.

He's easily cost the skeptical community thousands of person-hours over the last few years, those are hours of largely unpaid volunteer time that could have been spent on productive efforts but were not, because of one man's trolling.

One copes.

So I really don't care whether his threats are credible or not. His actions come with a cost, and I would like to mitigate that cost.

OK.

If asking a court to enforce an order that Mabus entered into of his own free will is the best way to mitigate that cost, then so be it.

Has anyone here suggested otherwise?

Old 23rd July 2012, 04:32 PM   #137
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That may well be but I don't see how you conclude that behaviour can be called stalking - "busybody" would be the most derogatory descriptor I could think of!

Seems apt. I'll use that in future.

Old 24th July 2012, 03:08 AM   #138
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I'm not sure it's wise having this thread in a public forum.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2012, 06:14 AM   #139
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

I think it is 10000000% reasonable to have a way to inform people about a guy who threatened to behead them and countless others.

Is it a little bit of an invasion of his privacy. Mmmmmaybe... But he is a violent man who's privacy is only being violated (if one wishes to think of it that way) because he is now breaking the law.

So let's check out the math here...

There is a potentially violent person with no indication that he cares about the law or how his actions might affect others (i.e. that whole threat making thing).

So we should just...let him be.
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2012, 06:36 AM   #140
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by I am Bigfoot View Post
I think it is 10000000% reasonable to have a way to inform people about a guy who threatened to behead them and countless others.

Is it a little bit of an invasion of his privacy. Mmmmmaybe... But he is a violent man who's privacy is only being violated (if one wishes to think of it that way) because he is now breaking the law.

So let's check out the math here...

There is a potentially violent person with no indication that he cares about the law or how his actions might affect others (i.e. that whole threat making thing).

So we should just...let him be.

That's some mighty fine hyperbole you have going there.

I think the "10000000%" was my favourite part.

Old 24th July 2012, 06:52 AM   #141
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

That's some mighty fine hyperbole you have going there.

I think the "10000000%" was my favourite part.
Ok fine. 100%

But that's some mighty fine ignoring the rest of what I said. Keep it up.

ETA:
I retract my 100% and go back to my 10000000%. We have a person known to have no regard for the well-being of others, has threatened people, and seems to be easing back into his disturbed state again. I think it would be a pretty high priority to keep track of him. You can whine about hyperbole if you want, but I don't see how "hey that guy that wants to cut off your head is going back to his old ways" is in any way improper and could potentially save someone's life.

Last edited by I am Bigfoot; 24th July 2012 at 07:00 AM.
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2012, 06:58 AM   #142
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by I am Bigfoot View Post
Ok fine. 100%

But that's some mighty fine ignoring the rest of what I said. Keep it up.

No worries. Consider it done.

Old 24th July 2012, 07:02 AM   #143
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

No worries. Consider it done.
I'm glad you agree that you're wrong.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:34 AM   #144
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Edited by Tricky:  Edited for rule 12.

Last edited by Tricky; 24th July 2012 at 02:42 PM.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2012, 02:52 AM   #145
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I think krelnik took the wrong end of the stick, unusually.
Old 6th August 2012, 09:41 PM   #146
Andysnat
New Blood

Could somebody explain why a post I made here has been automatically moved? and to where?
Andysnat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2012, 09:57 PM   #147
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder

Originally Posted by Andysnat View Post
Could somebody explain why a post I made here has been automatically moved? and to where?

The where I can answer, it's here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...87#post8512087
"Yes, well, I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you." - Sheldon - TBBT
Drs_Res is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2012, 11:26 AM   #148
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

Mabus is working the comments over at FreeThoughtBlogs this afternoon

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatch...comment-135005

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2012, 02:01 PM   #149
Vic Vega
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I did nothing further because I've lived my life in the belief that people who threaten will never carry out that threat.
That sounds like a potentially dangerous belief. There are many people who will absolutely follow through on their threats. I've known some people like that in my life.

I think you are lucky to never have been threatened by one of them.

--Shakespeare - Macbeth
Vic Vega is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2012, 08:02 PM   #150
krelnik
Graduate Poster

There may be news on the Mabus front in the next few days. I will post something as soon as I have it, we are waiting to hear back from the police.

Ironically today is the one year anniversary of the blog post that started it all. (It was a chain of events set off by that blog which ultimately ended in his arrest).
Old 20th August 2012, 08:17 AM   #151
Wildy
Adelaidean

Has there been any new news?

Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2012, 09:27 AM   #152
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

He's still posting over at the comments on FTB. Goading Randi.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/cristina.../#comment-2931

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 21st August 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:49 AM   #153
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

An interesting post appeared here on 28 July:

http://www.congregationofrealists.or...11699a544129ce

The poster specifically claims to be "Not Dennis Markuze - but a FAN!" I am skeptical of the idea that he has a fan.
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:22 AM   #154
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

We are waiting for a new article in the Montreal Gazette about the relevant authorities lack of action in enforcing the restrictions of his parole. It was supposed to be out a week ago but is apparently being held up by lawyers.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:05 AM   #155
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Yeah, the latest on that is the police told the paper they had gotten corrected information about what restrictions Mabus is under during his plea, so I think the paper is holding off publishing until they can act on that.

In other words, we are in "wait and see" mode again.
Old 23rd August 2012, 03:24 PM   #156
Laton
Critical Thinker

Just arrived over on the Straight Dope as well

*edited to removed link as he's been ID'd & the thread removed*

Last edited by Laton; 23rd August 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Laton is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 01:51 AM   #157
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Croydon Bob View Post
An interesting post appeared here on 28 July:

http://www.congregationofrealists.or...11699a544129ce

The poster specifically claims to be "Not Dennis Markuze - but a FAN!" I am skeptical of the idea that he has a fan.
I like the idea. Committing crimes and stating at the time "I'm not DrDave - just a fan"

What police force would suspect me after that?!
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 02:41 AM   #158
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
I like the idea. Committing crimes and stating at the time "I'm not DrDave - just a fan"

What police force would suspect me after that?!
Kirk Douglas leaps up and says: "It wasn't me, I'm not Sparticus, I'm just a fan."

Not quite so heroic.

[disclaimer: of course I don't know that it really was Markuze]
Old 24th August 2012, 02:54 AM   #159
bindeweede
New Blood

A Mabus-style post appeared last night on the ASF and the tiny Skeps forum. Nothing threatening, just the usual Nostradamus/atheists/list of Youtube links.
bindeweede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2012, 02:57 AM   #160
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bindeweede View Post
A Mabus-style post appeared last night on the ASF and the tiny Skeps forum. Nothing threatening, just the usual Nostradamus/atheists/list of Youtube links.
Probably another fan...
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal