ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , david mabus , Dennis Markuze

Old 26th August 2012, 03:28 PM   #161
joobie
i don't care

this whole affair just makes me wish that it was easier to get people the help they need to deal with mental illness.
Old 26th August 2012, 06:01 PM   #162
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

It shouldn't be so hard in Canada, but if the patient is unwilling to be helped, I don't know that there's much that can be done. It's sad because it's an illness where one of the symptoms is frequently an unwillingness to accept help.

Ward
Old 26th August 2012, 09:37 PM   #163
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by joobie View Post
this whole affair just makes me wish that it was easier to get people the help they need to deal with mental illness.
Honestly , what it makes me wonder, is where in the hell are our psychos?

Seriously, we have reams of people willing to threaten members of the sketpic movement, and devote massive amounts of time in effort into it, not trolls, but honest to Kord, ****** off lunatics. The kind of people that are only not doing these things because of lack of ability to pull them off.

Yet, you don't really see the same thing on the opposite side of the spectrum. Sure there are some folks who would flippantly say "If all christians were shot the world would be a better place." , but no raging Norman Bates types the likes of Mabus.

It honestly boggles my mind. With all the crappy things various purveyors of woo do, how they have not attracted someone with a low level of mental stability and a high level of skepticism, just blows my mind. Not saying i want this to happen, in fact i think it would be a massive blow that would set skepticism back quite a bit, but it still, none the less, boggles my mind.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2012, 06:20 AM   #164
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

Markuze-like post appeared here today:

http://www.skeps.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=628
Old 5th September 2012, 01:22 AM   #165
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Croydon Bob View Post
Markuze-like post appeared here today:

http://www.skeps.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=628
Did a search and found a few other sites he had made similar posts. Only hope they can prove who did it.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 01:41 AM   #166
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Only hope they can prove who did it.
If it is not Mabus, and if the posts are not threats, then why?
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 01:51 AM   #167
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by chillzero View Post
If it is not Mabus, and if the posts are not threats, then why?

Yes, I'm a bit curious about that too.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 02:30 AM   #168
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Perhaps because Markuze isn't meant to be posting to forums (and he still needs help). Although I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

If he's posted threats on these forums since his trial, and is still posting when he shouldn't (if he shouldn't), proof might lead him to be treated further.

But yeah, things are all a bit iffy at the moment.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 02:45 AM   #169
chillzero
Domestic Godless

If it is Markuze, then yes - it is good that the appropriate people take trhe appropriate steps with regard to any legal rulings.

That's different from proving who did it, if it is actually a fan, or just some other internet troll, who is essentially engaging in harmless trolling.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 02:48 AM   #170
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

I think rjh01 only meant that he hoped they could find out whether it was Markuze or not.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 02:51 AM   #171
abaddon
Philosopher

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...sm/YOaZU1CkKW8
Looks like a threat to me.
Old 5th September 2012, 02:52 AM   #172
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
I think rjh01 only meant that he hoped they could find out whether it was Markuze or not.
Correct.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 04:36 AM   #173
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Originally Posted by chillzero View Post
If it is Markuze, then yes - it is good that the appropriate people take trhe appropriate steps with regard to any legal rulings.

That's different from proving who did it, if it is actually a fan, or just some other internet troll, who is essentially engaging in harmless trolling.
As one of the links provided, indicated, the "fan" message was traced to an ip address in Canada. Not conclusive but significant.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 10:28 AM   #174
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by krelnik View Post
Yeah, the latest on that is the police told the paper they had gotten corrected information about what restrictions Mabus is under during his plea, so I think the paper is holding off publishing until they can act on that.

In other words, we are in "wait and see" mode again.
So, are you saying that the police and the press are now under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that what he's doing (if it is him) is OK and legal?

Ward
Old 5th September 2012, 12:00 PM   #175
Arouet
Thinker

Originally Posted by Rrose Selavy View Post
As one of the links provided, indicated, the "fan" message was traced to an ip address in Canada. Not conclusive but significant.
Over on SCEPCOP I believe the mod tracked it to Montreal.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:27 PM   #176
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
So, are you saying that the police and the press are now under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that what he's doing (if it is him) is OK and legal?
No, what I was trying to say is that the police appear (now) to agree with us that Dennis Markuze is under restrictions that would prohibit this type of behavior.

If in fact these posts are being made by Markuze, he is probably in violation of the court. But an IP address and a similar tone are far from proof that it is him.

It's not entirely clear whether the police are willing to make an effort to eliminate that ambiguity. I've been holding off bothering them to give them a chance to investigate. Also, our local complainant (a Montreal resident who filed the first complaint last year) is on vacation this week.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 01:53 PM   #177
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Honestly , what it makes me wonder, is where in the hell are our psychos?
I'm dealing with health problems. Sorry.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2012, 02:23 PM   #178
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by krelnik View Post
<snip>
If in fact these posts are being made by Markuze, he is probably in violation of the court. But an IP address and a similar tone are far from proof that it is him.
<snip>
Imagine if it was someone from the same city who was a copy cat person. I think it would be hard to prove it was not Markuze unless they found out who he actually was.

Only the police would have the power to get the evidence that would say it was or was not him. Getting the police to do the work might not be easy. Look what it took last time!
Old 5th September 2012, 03:39 PM   #179
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Imagine if it was someone from the same city who was a copy cat person. I think it would be hard to prove it was not Markuze unless they found out who he actually was.
But shirley someone pretending to be him would claim to be him, not deny being him . . . unless . . . that was what they wanted us to think.

Old 5th September 2012, 04:20 PM   #180
bindeweede
New Blood

Latest post on Skeps.org from "warchimps"

Quote:
croydon

you understand that everything you SAY we are going to DO to you?
Is that a threat or not?
bindeweede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2012, 03:44 AM   #181
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by bindeweede View Post
Is that a threat or not?
He was replying to a post from me that suggested that he charges money for sex. So the implication would be that he is going to give me a good rate for his services? Lucky me.
Old 6th September 2012, 03:49 AM   #182
steenkh
Illuminator

The fact that he is visiting his old haunts and making the same posts shows clearly that it is the same man. I am moderator on a small forum where Mabus regularly showed up (to have his posts deleted immediately). Now it is happening again. how could a "fan" know which small forums to spam?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2012, 04:13 AM   #183
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Is there any way that you can prove it's the same guy? Does he need the same password as the original guy? If you have proof beyond the fact that it seems like him, you might be able to provide the police with the evidence they need in order to get him to stop and maybe get some of the help he needs.

Ward
Old 6th September 2012, 04:23 AM   #184
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
Is there any way that you can prove it's the same guy? Does he need the same password as the original guy? If you have proof beyond the fact that it seems like him, you might be able to provide the police with the evidence they need in order to get him to stop and maybe get some of the help he needs.

Ward
That could be one way to prove it is him. He would be using a different user id, yet if he had the same password then the only explanation would be that it is the same person. The main problem is that if the forum had decent software that would be impossible to confirm.
Old 6th September 2012, 04:27 AM   #185
steenkh
Illuminator

We ban him every time, but he just creates a new user. We have also tried banning whole ranges of IP-addresses, but he uses proxies all over the world.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2012, 06:59 AM   #186
TheDoLittle
Disco King Discombobulator

He was replying to a post from me that suggested that he charges money for sex. So the implication would be that he is going to give me a good rate for his services? Lucky me.
I foresee no happy ending with that...
America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week. - Evan Esar / No one can earn a million dollars honestly. - William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925) / If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
TheDoLittle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2012, 07:21 AM   #187
Psiload
Master Poster

But shirley someone pretending to be him would claim to be him, not deny being him . . . unless . . . that was what they wanted us to think.

Old 6th September 2012, 08:14 AM   #188
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

He is back to posting at Skeptical Community too.

I just ignore him because he only posts in one subforum in threads that he starts himself.

Doctor X and some others like to make fun of him.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:51 AM   #189
abaddon
Philosopher

History repeating.
Old 6th September 2012, 04:53 PM   #190
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
We ban him every time, but he just creates a new user. We have also tried banning whole ranges of IP-addresses, but he uses proxies all over the world.
If you kept records of his attempts to post since his conviction, you might still have evidence that you are not aware of. If it's him, he might be trying user names and passwords are established as definitely being him before the conviction. Your board probably has guarantees of privacy, so you probably can't share it, but you might have the evidence that's needed in this case.

I'm no expert, but if the people who run the boards and forums that he's haunting were to team up, they might be able to find the truth about who's posting.

Ward
Old 6th September 2012, 05:01 PM   #191
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by Psiload View Post
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 6th September 2012, 07:07 PM   #192
Tanalia
Student

Yes, that's right.

And don't call me Surely.
Tanalia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2012, 07:44 PM   #193
abaddon
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tanalia View Post
Yes, that's right.

And don't call me Surely.
That's a Roger, Over.
Old 7th September 2012, 03:36 AM   #194
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by TheDoLittle View Post
I foresee no happy ending with that...
You've heard that I rarely tip for good service?
Old 7th September 2012, 03:53 AM   #195
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
He is back to posting at Skeptical Community too.

I just ignore him because he only posts in one subforum in threads that he starts himself.

Doctor X and some others like to make fun of him.
That link is an important one because he's using the same account as previously. He's logged back into a pre-trial account using the same password. Thus proving that it isn't just a "fan" (as if anyone would be a fan of such insanity, not even other religious nutjobs want to touch him).

My previous concerns that it just might possibly be a troll trying to get Markuze into trouble are gone. It's him.
Old 7th September 2012, 04:52 AM   #196
devnull
Philosopher

The poor guy is ill. It's no excuse, but Doctor X needs to grow up a little I think.
Old 7th September 2012, 06:31 AM   #197
Steve001
Muse

Yup, he's back. He's a repeat poster here.
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/for...php?f=7&t=2425
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2012, 01:14 PM   #198
gerdbonk
Illuminator

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Well, he -- or his "fan" -- is right back here on the JREF site:

The Million Dollar Challenge at TAM 2012 . See comments if it hasn't yet been deleted.
Old 7th September 2012, 01:51 PM   #199
abaddon
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Well, he -- or his "fan" -- is right back here on the JREF site:

The Million Dollar Challenge at TAM 2012 . See comments if it hasn't yet been deleted.
Still there. I await the sock account.
Old 7th September 2012, 03:46 PM   #200
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

The comments on the SWIFT articles come from a different account than those here in the forum.

Ward

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal