ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , david mabus , Dennis Markuze

Old 7th September 2012, 04:57 PM   #201
gerdbonk
Illuminator

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
The comments on the SWIFT articles come from a different account than those here in the forum.

Ward
That is true. But his prior JREF site spamming was in the SWIFT comments, wasn't it? Not on the forum?
Old 7th September 2012, 05:04 PM   #202
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
That is true. But his prior JREF site spamming was in the SWIFT comments, wasn't it? Not on the forum?
I don't remember him being on the forum, but I've only been here a few years. I find it hard to imagine that he was never here (argument from incredulity). I've always assumed he was here and banned long ago.

If he's posting under the same name and password in the SWIFT comments, the JREF should definitely report it to the authorities.

Ward
Old 7th September 2012, 06:30 PM   #203
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

He was on the forum for some time. He was banned and then he started spamming various members with PMs. I was one of those members. Please note he did this AFTER he was banned. He used socks to do so.
For your entertainment here is the ban notice
Ban Notice: drmabus

Plus one thread he started (Merged Thread) Nostradamus Prophecies - USA/Where is my MILLION DOLLARS?

Before reading the 1231 post thread insure your tin foil hat is on your head and fully working. The posts he made are all very unusual.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2012, 11:47 PM   #204
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

Apparently forum registration has a very finely tuned Mabus detector and his attempts to join are stopped efficiently.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 12:02 AM   #205
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
The poor guy is ill. It's no excuse, but Doctor X needs to grow up a little I think.
Markuze needs to grow up. Doctor X doesn't suffer fools.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:54 AM   #206
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Markuze needs to grow up. Doctor X doesn't suffer fools.
Isn't there a difference between not suffering fools, and mocking someone with a mental health issue? I would consider that the latter is definitely not to anyone's credit, and should be discouraged.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 01:09 AM   #207
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chillzero View Post
Isn't there a difference between not suffering fools, and mocking someone with a mental health issue? I would consider that the latter is definitely not to anyone's credit, and should be discouraged.
Perhaps Markuze shouldn't post there if he doesn't want to be mocked.

ETA: He's not a nice person, you know.

Last edited by Puppycow; 8th September 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 01:54 AM   #208
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Perhaps Markuze shouldn't post there if he doesn't want to be mocked.

ETA: He's not a nice person, you know.
Perhaps, but as he has a mental health issue, I am not going to judge his less rational actions, as I don't know how much he is in control of those actions. I'm certainly not going to condone mocking him for those actions, or for his mental health. It seems very unintelligent - a little like mocking a baby for pooping its nappy - and speaks very poorly of the person mocking.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 02:24 AM   #209
chillzero
Domestic Godless

We've just had a post on our UK forum referencing the last post I made above, and with all the other usual markuze stuff thrown in. It's currently under moderation, so not visible, but do we need to pass that information on to anyone?
Old 8th September 2012, 02:28 AM   #210
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Perhaps, but as he has a mental health issue, I am not going to judge his less rational actions, as I don't know how much he is in control of those actions. I'm certainly not going to condone mocking him for those actions, or for his mental health. It seems very unintelligent - a little like mocking a baby for pooping its nappy - and speaks very poorly of the person mocking.
Your comparison fails as he is an adult and not a baby. He needs to get medical attention and not be posting on Internet forums. It would be better to compare him with someone who commits a criminal activity and does it very poorly and hurts people in the process.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 02:39 AM   #211
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Your comparison fails as he is an adult and not a baby. He needs to get medical attention and not be posting on Internet forums. It would be better to compare him with someone who commits a criminal activity and does it very poorly and hurts people in the process.
He is an adult with mental health issues, and therefore not in complete control of his actions. I was only indirectly comparing him to a baby, the focus being on comparing the position taken by someone who mocks a person with clear mental health issues as poor as as that of someone who'd mock a baby.

He does indeed need to get medical attention and not be posting on forums, but that still does not make it appropriate to mock him. It reflects worse on the mocker than on him. That was my point.

Comparing him to a criminal ignores his mental health, and implies that there is something actually wrong (as in, a wrong decision he made) in having mental health issues. That displays some real ignorance about mental health, and a degree of ablism (ugh, I hate that term).
Old 8th September 2012, 09:51 AM   #212
LibraryLady
Emeritus

By definition, a person with mental health problems has a very difficult time distinguishing between right and wrong. That is why there is a different standard of judgment. I stand with Chillzero: He needs treatment and restraining.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:00 PM   #213
Steve001
Muse

He is an adult with mental health issues, and therefore not in complete control of his actions. I was only indirectly comparing him to a baby, the focus being on comparing the position taken by someone who mocks a person with clear mental health issues as poor as as that of someone who'd mock a baby.

He does indeed need to get medical attention and not be posting on forums, but that still does not make it appropriate to mock him. It reflects worse on the mocker than on him. That was my point.

Comparing him to a criminal ignores his mental health, and implies that there is something actually wrong (as in, a wrong decision he made) in having mental health issues. That displays some real ignorance about mental health, and a degree of ablism (ugh, I hate that term).
Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
By definition, a person with mental health problems has a very difficult time distinguishing between right and wrong. That is why there is a different standard of judgment. I stand with Chillzero: He needs treatment and restraining.
You'd think that posters whom pride themselves on well reasoned thinking would understand the points you two have made.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 02:35 PM   #214
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
I have no problems with statements like that. Now how is he going to get that treatment?

Edit. I forgot. Anyone who misbehaves on a forum as badly as David Mabus does should get this type of treatment fast so that everything else is academic Ban Notice: mushy

Last edited by rjh01; 8th September 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 8th September 2012, 05:37 PM   #215
bindeweede
New Blood

Is anyone able to confirm that the recent activities of Markuze or whoever have broken the terms of a legal agreement?
bindeweede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 05:46 PM   #216
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
You'd think that posters whom pride themselves on well reasoned thinking would understand the points you two have made.

I'm sure they do. Others, not so much.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 07:03 PM   #217
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by bindeweede View Post
Is anyone able to confirm that the recent activities of Markuze or whoever have broken the terms of a legal agreement?
That is up to the police and the courts to work out. The latest information is this post.

Originally Posted by krelnik View Post
No, what I was trying to say is that the police appear (now) to agree with us that Dennis Markuze is under restrictions that would prohibit this type of behavior.

If in fact these posts are being made by Markuze, he is probably in violation of the court. But an IP address and a similar tone are far from proof that it is him.

It's not entirely clear whether the police are willing to make an effort to eliminate that ambiguity. I've been holding off bothering them to give them a chance to investigate. Also, our local complainant (a Montreal resident who filed the first complaint last year) is on vacation this week.
Old 8th September 2012, 08:35 PM   #218
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

When I go from here to the Swift articles, I show as not logged in over there. As I recall (I don't comment on the Swift articles very often) I had to get a separate log-in name and password in order to comment. Markuze being banned here may have no affect on his ability to comment/post over there.

I could be entirely wrong, the last time I commented on a Swift article was probably over a year ago.
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2012, 08:52 PM   #219
gerdbonk
Illuminator

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Well, he -- or his "fan" -- is right back here on the JREF site:

The Million Dollar Challenge at TAM 2012 . See comments if it hasn't yet been deleted.
For those keeping score, his SWIFT comment on Sept. 7 was deleted.

He has merely reposted it, on the same SWIFT article, under a new account I think, today on Sept. 8.

Perhaps the JREF should add a moderation delay to SWIFT comments.
Old 9th September 2012, 12:14 AM   #220
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
When I go from here to the Swift articles, I show as not logged in over there. As I recall (I don't comment on the Swift articles very often) I had to get a separate log-in name and password in order to comment. Markuze being banned here may have no affect on his ability to comment/post over there.

I could be entirely wrong, the last time I commented on a Swift article was probably over a year ago.
Yes it is a separate registration process. Anybody can register there and then comment on any article. I have two log ons there, but only one here. It is up to JREF to decide if they need to make it any harder for spammers and other trolls.
Old 10th September 2012, 10:33 AM   #221
Segnosaur
Philosopher

He is an adult with mental health issues, and therefore not in complete control of his actions.
Yes, he does have Mental Health issues. The question is, how severe are they and would they make him totally incapable of controlling his own behavior, or would he at least have the faculties to recognize that what he had done in the past was wrong and should refrain from similar actions.

Prior to his arrest, Markuze did go (relatively) quiet, and started posting apologizes. That does suggest that he has at least some capacity to differentiate right from wrong.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2012, 12:54 PM   #222
abaddon
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, he does have Mental Health issues. The question is, how severe are they and would they make him totally incapable of controlling his own behavior, or would he at least have the faculties to recognize that what he had done in the past was wrong and should refrain from similar actions.

Prior to his arrest, Markuze did go (relatively) quiet, and started posting apologizes. That does suggest that he has at least some capacity to differentiate right from wrong.
OK. Fair point.

But what does that say about his resumption of troll duty? Is he doing it knowingly now?
Old 10th September 2012, 02:59 PM   #223
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
OK. Fair point.

But what does that say about his resumption of troll duty? Is he doing it knowingly now?
I really have no idea.

Could be he has a complete knowledge and understanding of his actions and is just trolling to be a jerk.

Could be that he was supposed to be medicated and stopped taking whatever was prescribed (in which case the blame is more for his mis-handling of his meds.)

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2012, 03:34 PM   #224
bindeweede
New Blood

Well, "someone" has posted the "5000 whining atheists" thing again on Skeps.org. This time he is called "spacewars". It consists of some detailed comments on the MDC/Tam Youtube video, plus the usual stuff.

Sorry, can't post link.
bindeweede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2012, 06:31 PM   #225
AdMan
Philosopher

I really have no idea.

Could be he has a complete knowledge and understanding of his actions and is just trolling to be a jerk.

Could be that he was supposed to be medicated and stopped taking whatever was prescribed (in which case the blame is more for his mis-handling of his meds.)

I made a related post a couple of months back, after Markuze received the suspended sentence after pleading guilty:

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
From the 6/14 Montreal Gazzette linked to above:

Quote:
During the hearing [defence lawyer] Waxman and [prosecutor] Nault made no mention of a recommendation made, in Proulx’s [a counsellor at Freedom House] assessment, that Markuze be examined by a psychiatrist.

“Since the therapy team at (Freedom House) does not have the competence necessary to make a psychiatric diagnosis, it seems to us that (Markuze) absolutely needs a follow up after he leaves the centre,” Proulx wrote.

“He sometimes makes remarks that leave us perplexed.”
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...505/story.html

It seems to me that Markuze probably has deeper psychological problems that perhaps are still untreated, if he hasn't even been seen by a psychiatrist as was recommended.

I don't think it's surprising if he's starting up again.

It's unclear whether the psychiatric evaluation recommended by the rehabilitation center took place. It may not have, so Markuze may not have received or be receiving the necessary treatment.

Last edited by AdMan; 10th September 2012 at 06:37 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2012, 07:48 PM   #226
abaddon
Philosopher

Well, "someone" has posted the "5000 whining atheists" thing again on Skeps.org. This time he is called "spacewars". It consists of some detailed comments on the MDC/Tam Youtube video, plus the usual stuff.

Sorry, can't post link.
Chuck the link minus "http:\\" in a post and insert spaces. One of us will correct and repost it.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:44 PM   #227
wardenclyffe
Graduate Poster

Chuck the link minus "http:\\" in a post and insert spaces. One of us will correct and repost it.
Or make one more post and you can do it yourself.

Ward
Old 10th September 2012, 08:58 PM   #228
abaddon
Philosopher

Or make one more post and you can do it yourself.

Ward
LOL, conceded.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:05 AM   #229
chillzero
Domestic Godless

In my opinion, we can't judge that, and my issue with commenting on his mental healt was less in relation to him, and more in relation to people that think it ok to mock and troll him.

Sorry, can't post link.
He was called "monkeywar" on the skepticism-uk site. Same post, by the sounds of it. We banned the account and took down the posts.
Old 11th September 2012, 06:39 AM   #230
Croydon Bob
Critical Thinker

Latest "skeps" post that Bindeweede was referring to is here:

http://www.skeps.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=644

I tend to agree with what chillzero is saying, except that then when DM posts something then I usually reply. So... what I think I am saying is that chillz is right, and I am wrong. I probably shouldn't be mocking someone with such obvious problems as Mr Markuze. I will try harder.
Old 14th September 2012, 02:30 AM   #231
Accidental Martyr
Master Poster

Posted on The Straight Dope message board September 14.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=665444
Old 14th September 2012, 05:37 AM   #232
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
Posted on The Straight Dope message board September 14.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=665444
"Invalid Thread"
Old 14th September 2012, 08:37 AM   #233
abaddon
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
"Invalid Thread"
Same here. Could well be due to legals in process at a guess.
Old 14th September 2012, 09:19 AM   #234
Accidental Martyr
Master Poster

Same here. Could well be due to legals in process at a guess.
Looks like the thread got deleted after my post. He was using the screen name "bloodywar".
Old 16th September 2012, 10:30 AM   #235
krelnik
Graduate Poster

He does seem to be accelerating in his posts, and he started using emails again on Friday, September 14. I complained directly to the prosecutor again, I'll let you know if anything happens as a result.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2012, 08:54 PM   #236
John Albert
Illuminator

If you kept records of his attempts to post since his conviction, you might still have evidence that you are not aware of. If it's him, he might be trying user names and passwords are established as definitely being him before the conviction. Your board probably has guarantees of privacy, so you probably can't share it, but you might have the evidence that's needed in this case.

If the forum software is any good it will be storing salted hashes of his password, not the password itself. If the hash is identical, it does not ensure that the password is the same to 100% certainty, but it's pretty damn close and you don't need to reveal his actual password.

The thing is, you'd have to compare the hash from the new account to a hash from an old account on the same forum that is known to be DM's. The comparison would not work between/among different websites because (presumably, if their security is worth anything) the "salt" values would be different.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2012, 09:02 PM   #237
John Albert
Illuminator

A better approach might be to check out that IP address from Montreal, contact the ISP (and if necessary, get a court order) to obtain the location of that IP address. If it happens to be the IP of his home Internet connection (or a neighbor's), or the location of one of his regular "haunts," then you might just have him busted.

Of course this kind of investigation might be best left to the police, assuming they have the resources to dedicate to a case like this.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2012, 10:15 PM   #238
devnull
Philosopher

or, you know, everyone could just ignore him so he no longer feels validated and goes and obsesses about some other aspect of his life until he goes of the deep end and is committed.
Old 16th September 2012, 11:11 PM   #239
John Albert
Illuminator

I think he needs help.

He seemed to exhibit a tendency to escalate his behavior toward physical confrontation, so he might very well be a danger to others or himself.
—Mark Twain
Old 17th September 2012, 05:47 AM   #240
steenkh
Illuminator

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
A better approach might be to check out that IP address from Montreal, contact the ISP (and if necessary, get a court order) to obtain the location of that IP address.
He uses proxy servers so that approach will not work.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal