ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Bob Heironimus , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Reply
Old 7th May 2010, 09:28 PM   #1241
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,006
That gold/swindler guy story is interesting, but let's not forget that Patterson drew Patty before filming the PGF. And since he copied the design from a person who isn't a bigfoot researcher, the "Since he researched them, he'd know what one looks like" argument doesn't work. I think that would hold up pretty damn well in court...
__________________
Open your mind and let the sun shine in. Let a wild hairy ape in there too, would you please? - William Parcher

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2010, 11:36 PM   #1242
inn
Muse
 
inn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 598
Originally Posted by AtomicMysteryMonster View Post
That gold/swindler guy story is interesting, but let's not forget that Patterson drew Patty before filming the PGF. And since he copied the design from a person who isn't a bigfoot researcher, the "Since he researched them, he'd know what one looks like" argument doesn't work. I think that would hold up pretty damn well in court...
How come Roger didn't copy the Roe bigfoot's scrawny butt? And why would he think a big padded butt was a good idea? Did Roger have a big booty fetish?
inn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2010, 04:02 PM   #1243
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
Originally Posted by inn View Post
And why would he think a big padded butt was a good idea?
To fill out the suit.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2010, 05:11 PM   #1244
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
I like inn. I think he is a swell guy. On top of that, we share the same city. inn just stepped in it at the BFF. He said the JREF's Spektator is a hoaxer and literally put his mouth where his mouth is...

Originally Posted by Me @ BFF
Originally Posted by Gigantofootecus @ BFF
If ANYONE can rotate a static hand and produce this effect then I'll eat a bug. The "Doll's hand" example was a fraud. The poster bent the dolls fingers and he went suspiciously silent when I called him on it. Try to re-create it and see for yourself. Otherwise, that example is worse than useless.
Whoa! Spektator hoaxed us? I highly doubt that. He is an excellent skeptical researcher on a variety of topics. I find it very hard to believe. I can't link but you should go have a look at post # 1928 of the PGF 3 thread. WHat makes you sure he lied to us?
Originally Posted by Me @ BFF
Originally Posted by Gigantofootecus
I guess we can discuss this because the doll hand animation was posted here. I have nothing against Spektator and I don't think he thought it was a big deal. The hand animation was strictly for Sweaty, IMO. But the animation itself is dead simple. Take a pic, rotate the hand, take another pic. I spent a fair bit of time trying to reproduce the animation and failed miserably. I mean how many orientations could I have missed?

I'll still eat a bug if someone else reproduces the doll hand animation just like Spektator's. Plus I'll apologize to Spektator. I don't really care if Patty's finger bends. All I want are experiments I can verify and trust.
I am totally taking you up on this! :realhappy: I know Spektator and he's no liar. My brother owns a toy store. I will go to his shop, get a doll, and we'll do this live and direct. Do I get to choose the bug? We'll take a trip to the Victoria Bug Zoo and shoot it for youtube. Wait, that won't work. They won't let you eat any of the attractions. Pet store! OK, if I reproduce the doll hand shots, you eat a cricket. I've eaten crickets in Japan. You could do worse. What do you say, man? WOOOO! This is gonna be fun. :
http://www.bigfootforums.com/index.p...c=29264&st=957

I PM'ed this to Spektator.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6

Last edited by kitakaze; 8th May 2010 at 05:15 PM.
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2010, 06:25 PM   #1245
tube
Muse
 
tube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 899
I ate a cricket on my 30th birthday. It was remarkably tasteless, though slightly crunchy. The Enigma used to eat them every night on stage. No biggie.
__________________
Bigfoot is everywhere, yet nowhere. LTC8K6

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2010, 06:33 PM   #1246
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
Originally Posted by tube View Post
I ate a cricket on my 30th birthday. It was remarkably tasteless, though slightly crunchy. The Enigma used to eat them every night on stage. No biggie.
I was eating them from a bag with beer. They were fried and dipped in a semi-sweet sauce. Kind of like caramel corn. Not bad at all. The BFF BH thread has been abruptly closed again. It may have been due to me taking up inn/Gigantofootecus on the bug eating thing. I think they didn't realize the he and I get along quite well and thought it might be an attack of some kind. Or it could be something else all together. I have no idea. Oh well.

ETA: I was just informed by PM that the closing had nothing to do with me.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6

Last edited by kitakaze; 8th May 2010 at 06:40 PM.
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2010, 11:27 PM   #1247
tube
Muse
 
tube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 899
Fried! I'm talking about live insects...
__________________
Bigfoot is everywhere, yet nowhere. LTC8K6

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 12:31 AM   #1248
wolftrax
Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
Carpenter ants are yummy as well.
wolftrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 02:18 AM   #1249
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
Eating crickets for credits.

Best quote from video: "That one came back up."
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 06:04 AM   #1250
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,455
Hmm...I don't recall being "called out," but then there are periods when I'm busy and don't always check JREF.

For the record: the doll's my daughter's toy, and it has very rigid plastic fingers. I doubt if they could be bent without breaking. Anyway, in response to what at the time was Sweaty's obsessive mantra, "If the fingers bend, you must pretend," I took the doll, rested it on a towel rack in our bathroom with the arm almost straight down, took a photo, rotated the whole doll body slightly and moved the arm, and took the second photo. I doubt if it took more than a minute or two. In between, I didn't bend the fingers. The doll's hand is cupped, and by turning the body and raising the arm slightly, the cupping shows up somewhat more.

By the way, I didn't do this to "prove" that the moving fingers in the PGF film were an illusion--just that there might be an alternate explanation for the slight flexing that meant no one had to pretend anything. My daughter would have been really upset with me if I'd broken her doll's fingers, by the way!

I don't require anyone to eat a bug....

Edited to add: Would forks show that nothing was bent?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...416352&thumb=1
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...416352&thumb=1
__________________
Even when you keep piling them up, lies never compress to become the truth.

Last edited by Spektator; 9th May 2010 at 07:47 AM.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 09:58 AM   #1251
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,723
I'm stunned that:
  1. Giganto/inn couldn't duplicate the finger flex illusion
  2. coudn't see how it was accomplished

Eat a bug ? Not much confidence in your assertion that Spektator is a liar ..

How about $100 ?

If you lose, you donate to JREF and make an announcement at BFF, including an apology to Spektator..

If you win, I donate to the charity of your choice ..
__________________
" What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about? "

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 9th May 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 10:30 AM   #1252
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,723
Originally Posted by inn View Post
How come Roger didn't copy the Roe bigfoot's scrawny butt? And why would he think a big padded butt was a good idea? ..............
Because that was how the butt was made on that particular suit ... ( ? )

__________________
" What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about? "

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 11:27 AM   #1253
jhunter1163
Beer-swilling semiliterate
Moderator
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Room 118, Bohemian Grove Marriott
Posts: 21,644
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Because that was how the butt was made on that particular suit ... ( ? )

http://www.gatzstuff.com/MISC/buttcomp.gif
Looks more like ( ! ) to me.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 11:41 AM   #1254
tube
Muse
 
tube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 899
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post

I don't require anyone to eat a bug....
No, I think eating insects is eminently suited with the general temperament associated with conversations about Bigfoot.

If I can't reproduce the "Lower Level Leg Lift" on demand, I'LL SMASH MY FINGER WITH A CAN OF CANNED FOOD!!!

Seriously though, Spektator, it's no fun to be falsely accused of being a liar. I was, on this very forum, regarding another ridiculously simply assertion, namely that Seattle Pottery Supply sells volcanic ash.

http://orgoneresearch.com/2009/10/19...-volcanic-ash/

Chronic lying and false accusation is a way of life in Bigfootery, and the Internet just makes it that much easier. It really speaks volumes about people's logic who claim in effect; "I can't reproduce the effect you are showing therefore you must be a LIAR."
__________________
Bigfoot is everywhere, yet nowhere. LTC8K6

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 01:36 PM   #1255
DennyT
Master Poster
 
DennyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,525
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post

ETA: I was just informed by PM that the closing had nothing to do with me.
so what was it? me?
__________________
unlikely to stay thirsty, my friends.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 01:47 PM   #1256
RayG
Master Poster
 
RayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,538
Originally Posted by tube View Post
If I can't reproduce the "Lower Level Leg Lift" on demand, I'LL SMASH MY FINGER WITH A CAN OF CANNED FOOD!!!
My wife thought I was crazy the first time I did that with a can.

RayG
__________________
Tell ya what. I'll hold my tongue as long as you stick to facts.
--------------------
Scrutatio Et Quaestio
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 02:41 PM   #1257
SweatyYeti
Illuminator
 
SweatyYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,915
spektator wrote:
Quote:
by turning the body and raising the arm slightly,


Since your 'doll hand illusion' required 2 changes in positioning, it doesn't even qualify as a potential explanation for Patty's bending fingers...since Patty's arm doesn't even appear to move at all....let alone in two different ways.


But...it was a nice try, anyway.
__________________
The wisdom of Diogenes....
"So far, I am not aware of any evidence which indicates with any degree of likeliness, however small, that Bigfoot creatures exist....anywhere in the world."

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 02:57 PM   #1258
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
It's a good thing for Sweaty that Spek was only offering one possible explanation. Personally, I'm just fine with Bob's hand making the glove move.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This thread needs the Bobby Patty Strut...


Now, I had a question that Sweaty is not going to want to touch with a 10ft pole...

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Let's just focus on the part that deals with Duane and Harvey Anderson. We know patterson was a stone-face liar. So who was lying - Roger Patterson, Greg Long, or Harvey and Duane Anderson?
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2010, 03:53 PM   #1259
Vortigern99
Philosopher
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,942
Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
Since your 'doll hand illusion' required 2 changes in positioning, it doesn't even qualify as a potential explanation for Patty's bending fingers...since Patty's arm doesn't even appear to move at all ....let alone in two different ways.
The figure itself is moving. Spektator's moving the camera and doll-arm approximates 1) the change in position relative to the camera and 2) the change in shadow and light resulting from this movement.
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 05:09 AM   #1260
Aepervius
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,679
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post

I can't open the picture it says it is a 1*1 pixel gif when I click on the link.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 06:17 AM   #1261
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,455
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I can't open the picture it says it is a 1*1 pixel gif when I click on the link.
Sorry! I'll see if I can try again.



I'd think the easiest way to test this is go out and get a doll and a camera and try for yourself. Probably a doll with cupped hands would work the best--maybe a china doll?

I'm not sure, but I think that any two discontinuous photos of a subject, if lined up and animated (a skill I don't have) would show some illusionary movement. That's the principle of moving-picture film, anyway. I've seen footage of Randi illustrating a similar illusion to show how Uri Geller convinces people that a pre-bent piece of silverware is still bending, by a slow turn of the handle so the bend becomes gradually more apparent.
__________________
Even when you keep piling them up, lies never compress to become the truth.

Last edited by Spektator; 10th May 2010 at 06:33 AM.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 09:10 AM   #1262
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,723
It's really rather simple after the fact .
We had gone round and round, here and at BFF about rubber gorilla hands, and how they could be made to flex without sophisticated prosthetics, then Eureka !
Spektator laid " Finger Flex Ken "on us and it was a kick in the nuts to all " Disney couldn't have done it for less than a million bucks " aficionados world-wide...

That was a great moment in PGF debunking ...

It's insane how PGF'ers go through all these gyrations to find a finger bending here, or a a toe flexing there, when Patty grabbing a rock or a stick and brandishing it, would have tilted the scales at least slightly the other way ..
__________________
" What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about? "

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 10:04 AM   #1263
SweatyYeti
Illuminator
 
SweatyYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,915
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post

That was a great moment in PGF debunking ...

It's insane how PGF'ers go through all these gyrations to find a finger bending here,





Quote:
or a a toe flexing there..





....a calf muscle bulging here...






....hair standing-up over here......







Here are a couple of frames from the gif, alternated....showing the change in the degree of dark shading in the neck hair...(despite the bright sunlight shining directly down on the back/neck)...






Like Greg says.....it's just insane.
__________________
The wisdom of Diogenes....
"So far, I am not aware of any evidence which indicates with any degree of likeliness, however small, that Bigfoot creatures exist....anywhere in the world."

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 11:17 AM   #1264
The Shrike
Master Poster
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,845
A question for Kitakaze - or anyone else who's done some digging into the people and places linked to PGF lore:

From a "follow the money" perspective, is there any one other than Bob H. who should be on a short list of potential Patty mimes?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 03:03 PM   #1265
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
A question for Kitakaze - or anyone else who's done some digging into the people and places linked to PGF lore:

From a "follow the money" perspective, is there any one other than Bob H. who should be on a short list of potential Patty mimes?
From the money angle? Well, Jerry Merritt had a an interest, financially...

Originally Posted by Me @ BFF
In the file that Vilma Radford kept the original contract, she also kept the receipt for a check for $200 that George Radford had lent to Jerry Merritt one week before Patterson came to Vilma for money. A note on the receipt states, "Contingent on 10% share of Big Foot contract." It was signed by Merritt.
http://www.bigfootforums.com/index.p...t&#entry594043

However, there really is no reason to think that Jerry was in the suit. You could really choose any of these guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bigfootboys1.jpg (64.4 KB, 3 views)
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 04:11 PM   #1266
Correa Neto
Philosopher
 
Correa Neto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,233
Hey, if its about making someone eat bugs science, I can replicate Spektator's results and post them tomorrow!
Way too easy...
__________________
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 04:37 PM   #1267
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
Hey, if its about making someone eat bugs science, I can replicate Spektator's results and post them tomorrow!
Way too easy...
For the sake of doing something gross for a laugh science, I offered to join inn in the bug eating, but I really should have thought of this before; there's no way inn would be up for doing a youtube vid involving a silly bet related to Bigfoot stuff. He simply would not want that kind of attention.

I think if 100% Spek is shown not to have hoaxed us, a gentlemanly apology is in order, but inn, buddy, you don't have to get all Timon and Pumbaa with me.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 04:55 PM   #1268
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
Originally Posted by SweatyYeti;5917249Here are a couple of frames from the gif, [I
alternated[/i]....showing the change in the degree of dark shading in the neck hair...(despite the bright sunlight shining directly down on the back/neck)...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ckHairAG12.gif
You made me dust off Picard...



Quote:
Like Greg says.....it's just insane.
Sweaty calling something insane makes me all...



Sweaty, I bet a can make you turtle. Joyce and her husband and Joyce's alleged Bigfoot sighting vs Harvey and Duane Anderson and their alleged hoaxer Patterson sighting - let's rumble.

I lay heavy odds you will make a run for the border.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 05:57 PM   #1269
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,711
Quote:
You know who would be the perfect host/moderator?
LOL. Scott Herriott. He's one of the first on my list of "folks who pretend to believe in Bigfoot". He has so much fun acting like he and cry-eyes buddy filmed a Bigfoot in a mountain nest. Rock on, Scott.

The joke is on the true believer. Everybody laughs thinking there are a few people out there who really believe. Hello. Wake up. LOL!
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 07:01 PM   #1270
wolftrax
Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
Who would pretend to believe in bigfoot?
wolftrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 07:21 PM   #1271
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10,711
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
Who would pretend to believe in bigfoot?
Oh... somebody who likes to have fun. Immerse themselves in the subculture of Bigfooters. Play the game with others who are also playing the game. The game of saying "I believe in Bigfoot" and everything that then goes, or could go, with it.

We could back up and ask a fundamental question. We both know that there are great numbers of Bigfoot hoaxers - from hoaxing material things to telling a fabricated encounter story. These are people who would say "I saw a Bigfoot" or "I found evidence of Bigfoot". They would, by default, go on to say that Bigfoot exists and that they believe in Bigfoot. This must be true because a person cannot say "I saw a Bigfoot but Bigfoot does not exist." So the initial question is - do Bigfoot hoaxers pretend to believe? Does it improve the hoax and the folktale to pretend to believe in Bigfoot?

We know almost nothing about Bigfoot hoaxers even though we suggest that they predominate Bigfootery (even outnumbering the innocently mistaken). We don't know if these hoaxers are skeptics or "denialists". My opinion is that most Bigfoot hoaxers do not truly think that Bigfoot exists at all. I would go on to say that I think a significant number of believers (who hoax nothing of consequence) are simply pretending to believe. They do this because it is their ticket to Bigfootery. It's how you get into the club. You join the club because it's fun, not because Bigfoot exists, or even probably exists. It doesn't exist - but it doesn't matter either. Just go for it.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 08:00 PM   #1272
wolftrax
Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
Now wait a minute, Scott welcomes disbelief in the film, as well as skepticism. He doesn't expect anybody to accept it as evidence. He has been one of the most skeptical people of most, if not all, of the "evidence" of sasquatch long before you started even posting here at JREF. He's one of the rare people who have applied that skepticism with believers and more times than not has faced the usual attempts at ostracism that goes along with that, and yet his sense of humor and level headedness has risen above that.

So he's not fitting into what you have described here.
wolftrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 08:09 PM   #1273
DennyT
Master Poster
 
DennyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,525
ah yes, thanks for the smoking gun

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post

....a calf muscle bulging here...
Thanks for posting these. I will leave the fingers issues to others.

The heel of this long "foot" strikes first, then the rest of the boot section comes down quickly, leaving the flexible rubber "toe" section trailing behind in the air briefly, then flapping down like a fly swatter. The flapping toes are confirmation of Bob H.'s impression of the toes extending past the "boot" part of the the lower part of the suit. The effect of this long toe section is are not unlike the familiar effect of swim "fins" on the gait of a human, and can be seen in the funny movements of the feet and knees which are seen in the "skeleton walk" animation. Perhaps someone could post this.

Of course this gif also confirms that the subject exhibits heel strike, falsifying Meldrum's foolish contention that the subject is not a heel striker. I think that it was a considerable accomplishment for Bob H. to not stumble during this walk. Meldrum also tries to pass off the flapping of the distal "foot" as active muscle-generated dorsiflexion which he would attribute to the infamous "mid tarsal break." These "feet", were they real, would be better suited to an amphibian than to a giant hairy biped. To suggest that these "feet" would be desirable products of evolution is just stupid. Yes, Dr. Meldrum, I'm lookin at you.

This is a smoking gun, demonstrating that the feet of the subject are not natural appendages. They are huge flapping fakes.

Thanks, Swet.
more, on the 'muscle', later.
__________________
unlikely to stay thirsty, my friends.

Last edited by DennyT; 10th May 2010 at 09:03 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 08:36 PM   #1274
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
LOL. Scott Herriott. He's one of the first on my list of "folks who pretend to believe in Bigfoot". He has so much fun acting like he and cry-eyes buddy filmed a Bigfoot in a mountain nest. Rock on, Scott.

The joke is on the true believer. Everybody laughs thinking there are a few people out there who really believe. Hello. Wake up. LOL!
Somewhere around here is Scott talking about the video. I'm undermotivated to go and find it right now. He was very forthright about it and made clear that he was more caught up in the other guy's emotional meltdown. Scott is into talking about Bigfoot, just as you and I are, yet he is simply more open, or simply open, if you will, to the possibility Bigfoot being a real animal. I'm glad he's around. I think he's one of the best people Bigfootery has.

Scott aside, I had a really interesting conversation with Phil Morris a few nights back. He thought it was loopy to think that Patterson ever actually believed in Bigfoot. I made the case that he most certainly did believe in Bigfoot, and all the hoaxing he did was to further the cause to look for the creature.

I'm interested to know what you think. Yes, I did change the subject. But we can talk about Scott in the "Anybody seen one?" thread if you like.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 08:59 PM   #1275
DennyT
Master Poster
 
DennyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,525
Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
...bulging calf muscle...
Again, this makes no anatomic or physiologic sense if this were really the muscle of a biped. The gastrocnemius muscle, which is located here in primates, is relaxed at foot strike, not contracting. It contracts in the push-off stage of walking. Again, this is a smoking gun, signifying that this not actual contracting muscle.

This "bulge", from other views seems to have been sewn on or glued on to the fabric in the calf area. There are a number of bulges in various places which appear and disappear as the subject moves. Most of these result from the fact that the suit is not made of four-way stretch fabric, just as Bill Munns says. So when the subject moves, the suit bulges in various places. Bill, and or Meldrum, however, on the seeing the inevitable bulges which result from walking in something that is kind of like hip waders, say they are muscles, hernias, or, most bizarre, "flab." Munns then goes on to say that costume "flab" hadn't been invented yet, so therefore we are not looking at a suit. Bizarre.

Thanks for posting this Sweti, I hadn't seen it before. The more images you post, the more smoking guns.
__________________
unlikely to stay thirsty, my friends.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 10:27 PM   #1276
Vortigern99
Philosopher
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,942
It's good to have someone with detailed bio-medical knowledge of human anatomy commenting on these images and questions. My understanding of human musculature includes their attachment points and placement on the body, but not the exact moments of contraction during movement. Your observations in this regard are much appreciated, Parnassus.
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 10:28 PM   #1277
rockinkt
Muse
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 797
Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Again, I think you persist in hyperbole and putting words in my mouth. That is neither good debate nor is it particularly honest. You may be in law enforcement, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of your testimony is not given credence, if you conduct yourself in court in this same way.
Evidence and unequivocal proof are clearly not the same thing.
You are entitled to your opinion about the statements made by witnesses, but I can't agree with your conclusion.
One more try.
You are using forty year old recollections and non-tested statements of select people as if it somehow makes it a fact that Patterson was hoaxing Bigfoot around Yakima.
It is true that there is a lot of suppositions and insinuations - but there is no direct evidence that (edit) places Patterson making a print or dressing himself (or anyone else) in costume to fool people.

Do I believe that he hoaxed and was the reason for the sightings around Yakima? You bet. Does that make it a fact? Nope. Does it prove a pattern? You bet. But there is no way that anybody could get that evidence into a court of law.

Regarding your indignant purse swinging about twisting your words around - I was just being sarcastic at your bold statement about judges and juries regarding the evidence brought forward by Long about Patterson.

Like my post on the Rules of Evidence pointed out - the use of such evidence is the exception and must only be allowed under very specific conditions. The chances of you or anyone else getting such evidence into court in the US or Canada is pretty well zero.

I am getting weird vibes off you Parnassus. Somehow the ghost of LT seems to rear up its head when I read some of your posts...
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 10th May 2010 at 11:02 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 10:42 PM   #1278
rockinkt
Muse
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 797
Originally Posted by AtomicMysteryMonster View Post
That gold/swindler guy story is interesting, but let's not forget that Patterson drew Patty before filming the PGF. And since he copied the design from a person who isn't a bigfoot researcher, the "Since he researched them, he'd know what one looks like" argument doesn't work. I think that would hold up pretty damn well in court...
Rules of Evidence. Read them. Experience them. Understand them.

Perhaps a lecture on what Circumstantial Evidence actually is (like I had to do for Roger Knights on the BFF) rather than what is erroneously thought by the vast majority of people is in order.
Hint: It ain't links in a chain...
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 10:55 PM   #1279
rockinkt
Muse
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 797
Actually - this crap about evidence and proof is all a tempest in a teapot on this board and I should stop trying to help people understand the finer points.

Patterson was a crook and liar and a hoaxer. That is my opinion and that of the people I seem to be at odds with in this thread - which is a little weird.

My reasoning was that I was just trying to help with what I knew would be the arguments bought up in relation Kitakaze's posts on the BFF and within bigfootery in general.
Some people got that - others didn't.

I would be happy to discuss the minutiae of investigation and evidence and law with those who still have a bone to pick - but let's take it to PM.
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2010, 11:36 PM   #1280
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,151
I've started my first thread at the BFF...

Bob vs Bob Internet Radio Show - Let's make it happen!

Will it happen? Can it happen? And if so, will it be a Rumble in the Valley? A Bungle in the Jnugle? Hold on to your butts, and let's ride this crazy horse into town.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.