ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ghost Capture app , ghosts , iPhone apps

Old 9th January 2010, 05:34 PM   #1
swskeptic
Scholar

I need some debunking help here, please!

Okay, fellow JREFers, help me out here. My friend Ryan took this photo of me a couple months ago:

Now, forget the fact that I look like an idiot and look on the right hand side under the window. Am I the only person that sees something?

Before you read the spoiler, please make sure to write down what you think you see and don't change it after you read what Ryan, his Fiancee and I see.

I see a little girl in a dress and Ryan and his fiancee see the same thing. I asked them what they think they saw before I told them what I saw and he said "a little girl in a dress" so I think it's fairly obvious what it is.

Anyways. I usually would toss this up to double exposure, but for one, I don't think he goes around taking photos of little girls in dresses, and two, because this was taken on an iPhone. I don't think iPhones are prone to visual defects like this. He also swears up and down he isn't *********** with me. He has no monetary reason to do it and he is an enlisted man in the Army so I don't think he would lie to me or make something like this up.

Anways, what I'm asking is if anyone here as any ideas as to what it is. Please help me debunk this so I can tell him it isn't a real ghost, thanks.

-Austin
swskeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 05:36 PM   #2
jimtron
Illuminator

To me it looks like a little girl's dress too. It also looks like a reflection in the window. Could there have been some fabric like that somewhere in the room?
jimtron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 05:42 PM   #3
swskeptic
Scholar

I'm talking to Ryan on Facebook right now and I asked him that, he said they don't have any fabric like that.
swskeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Brattus

Well it looks to me like a poorly doctored photo.
Any number of photo software programs could easily do that.
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 05:51 PM   #5
swskeptic
Scholar

I can personally vouch for him not messing with the picture, please trust me. It's basically a 99.9999repeating% chance that he didn't do that.
Old 9th January 2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Marduk
Banned

any idea what the grid pattern is that appears in the upper right hand side ?
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Actually, to me, it looks like a shoe print. I can't see a little girl at all.
Old 9th January 2010, 06:11 PM   #8
swskeptic
Scholar

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
any idea what the grid pattern is that appears in the upper right hand side ?
Window Pane, like this:

Old 9th January 2010, 06:18 PM   #9
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Trying to look at it two dimensionally, it really does look to me like a distorted reflection of one of the chairs in the room, with the window panes added for effect. Where was the sun?

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Looks to me like a combination of two pictures, whether deliberate or accidental. The faint image is less blurred by camera shake, so it definitely wasn't originally part of the main picture (so not a reflection or whatever).

And it doesn't look like a little girl in a dress to me. It looks like (half of) a figure wearing something like a check-patterned dressing gown, except that it seems to have shoulder pads for some odd reason. I'm wondering what it would look like in negative too - some kind of comic book character, is my guess.

Edit to add - it doesn't look any clearer in negative, but playing around with contrast etc, it rather reminds me of a suit of Japanese armour.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 9th January 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 06:29 PM   #11
learner
Graduate Poster

Its bigfoot in a dress.
Old 9th January 2010, 06:38 PM   #12
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It looks to me like a large, decorated gingerbread man.

Old 9th January 2010, 06:42 PM   #13
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Camera case?

http://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/w...era-corner.jpg

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 06:43 PM   #14
ArcturusA
Thinker

To me it looks like a man wearing some kind of robes. A monk, possibly, although the cloth looks a bit fancy for that.

It seems too clearly human-like to be a reflection, so I'd say its either been doctored or double exposed. Or a software bug, but that's unlikely to have lead to something so clean.
ArcturusA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 06:48 PM   #15
desertgal
Illuminator

I don't see a little girl, just half a 'figure'-and I think it looks more like a costume or dressing gown than a dress. In any case. it's either the reflection of something or a flaw in the picture-but almost impossible to decipher what it really is from one blurry (naturally) picture .

Sorry, don't believe in ghosties.

Last edited by desertgal; 9th January 2010 at 06:51 PM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Marduk
Banned

seems to be an illustration from a childrens book to me
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 06:56 PM   #17
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

I lowered the Gamma and increased the contrast in the image to see what we're talking about more clearly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adjusted1.jpg (38.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 9th January 2010, 07:00 PM   #18
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

This is either a reflection of a doll or a dress, or it's a manipulated photo.

I think it's manipulated.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 07:19 PM   #19
Chimera
Mind Fetishist

Iphone recently released an app called "Freaky Fotos Pro", which allows users to insert ghostly images into photos during or after image capture.

"I always thought 'respect' meant 'don't let on how ridiculous you think other people are'."--Tragic Monkey
Chimera is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 07:20 PM   #20
George
Banned

What I see is a mathematical formula for reducing the fixed iPhone resolution of 2 megapixels to two cubits per firkin. And isn't it time you tidied up Gromits basket?
He looks decidedly uncomfortable. Or perhaps he's just a wee bit concerned about your relationship with the mogwai in your sporran region.
George is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 07:49 PM   #21
swskeptic
Scholar

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Where was the sun?
Nowhere, this was taken at night.

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Edit to add - it doesn't look any clearer in negative, but playing around with contrast etc, it rather reminds me of a suit of Japanese armour.
Actually, I saw that to. So I guess I should clarify and say I saw both things, but I'm not sure it matters much.

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
I lowered the Gamma and increased the contrast in the image to see what we're talking about more clearly...
Thanks, that's really cool

Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Iphone recently released an app called "Freaky Fotos Pro", which allows users to insert ghostly images into photos during or after image capture.
I'm going to check that out, if it turns out he used that I'm going to kick him in the balls.

I don't believe in ghosts either, but I don't believe it right to just out-right call all of it fake, that's arrogant.
Old 9th January 2010, 07:53 PM   #22
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by swskeptic View Post
<Snip>

I'm going to check that out, if it turns out he used that I'm going to kick him in the balls.

I don't believe in ghosts either, but I don't believe it right to just out-right call all of it fake, that's arrogant.
No, no, no, no.

If he messed with your phone in such a manner don't even let on that you know. Turn the tables on him by going along with his little joke, then be patient and get back at him in an even more devious manner.

I'm sure some of your friends here can give you ideas if you're not devious enough.
Old 9th January 2010, 07:57 PM   #23
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
I'm sure some of your friends here can give you ideas if you're not devious enough.
start off by clingfilming his toilets and blame the ghost
then move on to TPing his house while hes sleeping and again blame the ghost
then start to use the ghost as an explanation for anything you want until he confesses
Old 9th January 2010, 08:03 PM   #24
Pup
Philosopher

With the blur it's hard to tell, but are the sleeves of your sweatshirt/shirt the same large light-on-dark windowpane check like the "ghost" is wearing? I can see horizontal stripes spaced about the same, light on dark, but can't tell if there are vertical stripes too to make the checkered effect.

Last edited by Pup; 9th January 2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 08:05 PM   #25
chuck4842
Muse

may be a fabric smudge left from the photographers glove
Old 9th January 2010, 08:12 PM   #26
CompusMentus
Waiting for the Worms

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
start off by clingfilming his toilets and blame the ghost
then move on to TPing his house while hes sleeping and again blame the ghost
then start to use the ghost as an explanation for anything you want until he confesses

Tell him the ghost is communicating with you, instructing you to do strange things. Ask him to meet you in a local shopping precinct, you'll be wearing jim-jams, dressing gown and slippers, when he arrives hold up a mince pie and shout "KEEP YOUR DISTANCE! THIS CAMEL IS PRIMED"

That'll teach him.

Compus
Old 9th January 2010, 08:15 PM   #27
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Dig a fish pond in his back garden late at night. Leave a note saying "Stop or you'll get another one."

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 08:21 PM   #28
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I see the dress, but the head belongs to Thomas the Tank Engine. That's one **********-up ghost.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 08:23 PM   #29
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Nothing else in the photo is in as good focus as the Mystery Thing so I wouldn't think it was anything that was actually there. Definitely looks like checked cloth with some folds in it. Mayyybe a flash went off in the room during the exposure with the camera moving like hell and caught that clear image, before the camera came (mostly) to rest on you as the final subject with poor light and got the rest of the fairly long exposure? It looks very slightly like it might be a negative version of your vest... *shrug*
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 08:38 PM   #30
stilicho
Trurl's Electronic Bard

Okay, fellow JREFers, help me out here. My friend Ryan took this photo of me a couple months ago:
The problem I had with this photo is that you should have stopped there and included two spoilers, one for the location we "should" be looking and the second for what it was supposed to be.

Fortunately, I saw the photo before I read anything you wrote and thought there was something strange about the hands of the human in the figure. Then when I looked at the location you suggested, I saw a clear pattern but not a dress. I see patterns more easily than human forms.

Several others have noticed that it doesn't look much like a girl in a dress or a gown even when prodded. The "head" is configured much like a "smiley". The "gown" is virtually painted as if it's two-dimensional or a depiction of a "gown" on a flat surface. It is vaguely reminiscent of European artwork before the introduction of perspective.

Photographs are susceptible to all kinds of effects (whether iPhone or not). I don't have it any longer but I took a Polaroid of a solitary fleur-de-lis flag in a field in Western Canada once and after I'd developed it there was a fairly clear representation of a Union Jack right next to it. Since I was still there, with my cycling friend, we could both agree there was no physical Union Jack and yet there it was in the Polaroid. The only thing about the photo (apart from the second flag) that we found odd was that the colours were a little indifferent.

In the absence of any explanation, it's going to be an unknown phenomenon and certainly nothing unusual.

LondonJohn: "I don't need to cite."
Rolfe: "I really hate lawyers."

Last edited by stilicho; 9th January 2010 at 08:42 PM.
stilicho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 08:45 PM   #31
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Good thinking, Chimera!

It's only $1.99, and there's less than 25 ghost images in it, so it would be pretty painless to check if that's what was used.

swskeptic, does Ryan have an IPhone, or know anyone who does?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 08:51 PM   #32
Steelmage
Muse

Hurry, send it to coast to coast as proof of a little girl's ghost.

It is better to want what you can't have then to have what you don't want. -Denny Crane, Boston Legal
Steelmage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 08:56 PM   #33
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
Anyways. I usually would toss this up to double exposure, but for one, I don't think he goes around taking photos of little girls in dresses, and two, because this was taken on an iPhone.
Not exactly "case closed" just yet, but...

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 08:57 PM   #34
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

There are apparently several different ghost pic iPhone apps.

Old 9th January 2010, 08:59 PM   #35
swskeptic
Scholar

Good thinking, Chimera!

It's only $1.99, and there's less than 25 ghost images in it, so it would be pretty painless to check if that's what was used.

Yeah, he does, I sent him a text asking if he used that, with a fairly few threatening words included lol

I'd pay the 2 bucks to try it on my iPod Touch but after downloading to iTunes I don't think it'd let me transfer it to my Touch and it would display something along the lines of "The program is not compatible with your iPod" or whatever it says.
Old 9th January 2010, 09:15 PM   #36
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
There are apparently several different ghost pic iPhone apps.
Thanks. I just found these two:

http://www.geeksugar.com/2725488 (Ghost Cam)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MHRwdXRjV4 (Haunted Pics)

But the old-fashioned boy in the Freaky Fotos Pro link Chimera posted looks a lot like the style of the ghost in Ryan's photo.
Old 9th January 2010, 09:51 PM   #37
stilicho
Trurl's Electronic Bard

Thanks. I just found these two:

http://www.geeksugar.com/2725488 (Ghost Cam)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MHRwdXRjV4 (Haunted Pics)

But the old-fashioned boy in the Freaky Fotos Pro link Chimera posted looks a lot like the style of the ghost in Ryan's photo.
Nobody but me thinks the issue is with Ryan's hands and not the other pattern?

LondonJohn: "I don't need to cite."
Rolfe: "I really hate lawyers."
stilicho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2010, 10:03 PM   #38
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by stilicho View Post
Nobody but me thinks the issue is with Ryan's hands and not the other pattern?
Could you explain further how you think the hands could be causing it?

At first I thought the "dress" pattern was an artifact of swskeptic's top.
Old 9th January 2010, 10:06 PM   #39
Roma
Master Poster

looks like an alien to me
Old 9th January 2010, 10:09 PM   #40
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by stilicho View Post
...The only thing about the photo (apart from the second flag) that we found odd was that the colours were a little indifferent.
Well, maybe they were just bored.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal