ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amega wands , crystals , zero point energy

Old 19th February 2010, 02:59 AM   #1
alawaiman
New Blood

Thumbs down "Amega Wand" Chrystal/Mineral healing scam

My father has come to me with this new product called "Amega" which is an item that contains special minerals or chrystals. "wanding" it over someone's area of pain or illness aparantly heals it. I think it is a scam and should go through the million dollar challenge because I have seen no scientific evidence of such a device. It sounds like a scam to me, especially since each wand costs $250.

check amega global's website and tell me what you think.
alawaiman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I think you have a great deal to learn about:
1. The philosophy of the MDC.

2. How the MDC works.

3. The purpose of this sub-forum.

4. The requirement for evidence in this Forum.

5 The reasons that 'argument from incredulity' is a logical fallacy.

6. The correct, polite way to request feedback from the members of this Forum.

7. The correct spelling of 'crystals'.

8. The importance of 'first impressions'.

Doubtless you will learn many of these things once your thread has been moved to the correct sub-forum. Shouldn't be long.

Cheers,

Waenre

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Madalch
The Jester

Originally Posted by alawaiman View Post
My father has come to me with this new product called "Amega" which is an item that contains special minerals or chrystals. "wanding" it over someone's area of pain or illness aparantly heals it. I think it is a scam and should go through the million dollar challenge because I have seen no scientific evidence of such a device. It sounds like a scam to me, especially since each wand costs $250.

I'm pretty sure that it is a scam, but I doubt they'd try to apply for the challenge. For one thing, the manufacturers know it won't win (since their product is a scam), and for another, they make far more money selling it to gullible people.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Here's a testimonial from the Australian version of the site (exactly as it appears):

Quote:
Hi my name is Mark Krivokuca 18 years of age, living on the Gold Coast of Australia and I am a Tennis Player and Coach. Usually after a few sets of tennis I would start to feel very tired. However since I started using Amega Global products, my Energy  has increased phenomenally. I am now able to run more and do extreme exercises longer, with very little fatigue. It is quite extraordinary, as I now feel Supercharged with increased Energy, more active and hitting Aces all day long. Thanks Amega Global, for helping me achieve a Winning formula.

No matter what else, I definitely need some more Energy  

Perhaps if the author was more Supercharged with increased Energy   he/she would have the Winning formula for editing the HTML more carefully.

I suspect they aren't quite the real deal. Just a suspicion, mind.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I think you have a great deal to learn about:
1. The philosophy of the MDC.

2. How the MDC works.

3. The purpose of this sub-forum.

4. The requirement for evidence in this Forum.

5 The reasons that 'argument from incredulity' is a logical fallacy.

6. The correct, polite way to request feedback from the members of this Forum.

7. The correct spelling of 'crystals'.

8. The importance of 'first impressions'.

Doubtless you will learn many of these things once your thread has been moved to the correct sub-forum. Shouldn't be long.

Cheers,

Waenre
I am all for calling out an idiot when one wanders in. But Mrs Manners is gearing up to break down your door.

This poster simply seems a bit new to the MDC and possibly dosn't spend a great deal of time in skeptical forums, so they don't realize that poor spelling is very frowned upon. Their post may have been a bit hard to read due to some grammar and spelling mistakes, but for the first reply to their first post, that is a bit ....unfriendly.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

When I first joined the Forum, I lurked for an entire year without posting.

I read the MA and the various FAQs and help files, and visited all the sub-forums, reading and learning from the more experienced posters.

I did this because I was aware of the high standards I knew that the JREF held itself to and the last thing I wanted to do was embarrass myself in such august company.

It's quite likely that a year is a bit excessive. It's even more likely, however, that 2 minutes is not enough.

I hope that my 'bit unfriendly' will encourage the new poster to find a compromise solution somewhere between these two extremes.

Frankly, I find this:

to also be a bit unfriendly, and I crafted my response in what I thought to be a style appropriate for that demand from a newcomer.

Your mileage may vary.

Akhenaten

ETA: I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but the OP was originally made in the MDC sub-forum.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 19th February 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 19th February 2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
This poster simply seems a bit new to the MDC and possibly dosn't spend a great deal of time in skeptical forums...

I thought the poster sounded like an advertisement (description of the product, cost, and website plug), but YMMV.

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Madalch
The Jester

Does it come with Olpha?
Old 19th February 2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
Does it come with Olpha?
Is it made by Oompa-Loompas?
Old 19th February 2010, 03:11 PM   #10
bigtim
Student

Yeah, I presume such newbie posts like this are nothing more than attemps to drive up web-site stats.
bigtim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

Originally Posted by bigtim View Post
Yeah, I presume such newbie posts like this are nothing more than attemps to drive up web-site stats.

OK, I was bored and Googled a bit.

Originally Posted by Someone Trying to Pyramid Scheme Suckers with This Stuff
Most of the Amega Global products work off of the foundation of zero point energy. If you don’t know what zero point energy is (and neither did I when I first heard of it), it is defined as: “the infinite, formless, non-frequency energy that contains all potential in the Cosmos’ quantum vacuum. When this energy is condensed down into matter, information is stored in the molecular structures and has vibratory frequency, commonly known as the electromagnetic spectrum”

Mized® Fusion Technology is a process that changes the structure of molecules and charges matter to give off a zero point energy force that is called AMized® resonance. This allows your body to be able to access the healing energy from within itself. It helps to balance the energy in your body and bring everything such as mental, emotional, physical and even spiritual into a unison.

Now unless your a scientist, let me put it into plain English for you. When you use a product that has been charged with zero point energy, it reminds your body cells “where they came from”. In other words, it reminds them that they were once healthy cells and to return to such a state. Thus, it puts the body in a favorable state to return to ”source” from within and subside the pain that it is having. Getting rid of pain is not the only benefit that coming in contact with zero point energy could afford you.

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 04:04 PM   #12
Stray Cat
Philosopher

As the OP hasn't stuck around to read any responses since posting, I'm presuming it's spam.
Old 19th February 2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Hmm ... buzzwords check out ...

balance the energy
electromagnetic spectrum
fusion technology
healing energy
non-frequency energy
quantum vacuum
resonance
spiritual
vibratory frequency
zero point energy

There's at least one "Your / You're" error.

But there's no bolding, italics, underlines, CAPS LOCK, colours or multiple-sized fonts.

Can't be real.
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 04:13 PM   #14
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
As the OP hasn't stuck around to read any responses since posting, I'm presuming it's spam.
Maybe he felt that at least one response was too hostile to merit sticking around.
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2010, 04:28 PM   #15
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Maybe he felt that at least one response was too hostile to merit sticking around.
Then perhaps he/she should charge him/herself up with one of those wands in order to be able to counter the negative force of the sceptic power.
Old 20th February 2010, 03:10 AM   #16
Alley Cat
Scholar

I am all for calling out an idiot when one wanders in. But Mrs Manners is gearing up to break down your door.

This poster simply seems a bit new to the MDC and possibly dosn't spend a great deal of time in skeptical forums, so they don't realize that poor spelling is very frowned upon. Their post may have been a bit hard to read due to some grammar and spelling mistakes, but for the first reply to their first post, that is a bit ....unfriendly.
Yes, I agree. I think some of the old lags who've responded here are the victims of some serious bullying elsewhere in this playground and have forgotten how to play nicely.

I'm ashamed for them.

WELCOME Alawaiman
Alley Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2010, 04:05 AM   #17
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Alley Cat View Post
Yes, I agree. I think some of the old lags who've responded here are the victims of some serious bullying elsewhere in this playground and have forgotten how to play nicely.

I'm ashamed for them.

WELCOME Alawaiman

Well, for my own part, I can but acknowledge your vast experience here and hope that one day I might aspire to attaining similar insights into the history of the other contributors.

Old 20th February 2010, 06:14 AM   #18
Alley Cat
Scholar

Well, for my own part, I can but acknowledge your vast experience here and hope that one day I might aspire to attaining similar insights into the history of the other contributors.
You're welcome
Alley Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2010, 06:37 AM   #19
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Quote:
Most of the Amega Global products work off of the foundation of zero point energy. If you don’t know what zero point energy is (and neither did I when I first heard of it), it is defined as: “the infinite, formless, non-frequency energy that contains all potential in the Cosmos’ quantum vacuum. When this energy is condensed down into matter, information is stored in the molecular structures and has vibratory frequency, commonly known as the electromagnetic spectrum”

Mized® Fusion Technology is a process that changes the structure of molecules and charges matter to give off a zero point energy force that is called AMized® resonance. This allows your body to be able to access the healing energy from within itself. It helps to balance the energy in your body and bring everything such as mental, emotional, physical and even spiritual into a unison.

Now unless your a scientist, let me put it into plain English for you. When you use a product that has been charged with zero point energy, it reminds your body cells “where they came from”. In other words, it reminds them that they were once healthy cells and to return to such a state. Thus, it puts the body in a favorable state to return to ”source” from within and subside the pain that it is having. Getting rid of pain is not the only benefit that coming in contact with zero point energy could afford you.
My first response was to label it as gibberish, but then I realized that the whole thing was worded to not run afoul of any government regulations related to false advertising claims. In any case, it is too nonsensical to even be classified as wrong.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2010, 07:39 AM   #20
AvalonXQ

I wouldn't blame him.
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2010, 08:04 AM   #21
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I'm ashamed for them.

WELCOME Alawaiman

Originally Posted by AvalonXQ View Post
I wouldn't blame him.

Have a look at the time the OP was made.

Have a look at the poster's profile, noting especially the 'last activity' bit.

Notice anything?

Old 20th February 2010, 08:33 AM   #22
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Have a look at the poster's profile, noting especially the 'last activity' bit.

Notice anything?
I'm with you on that one... I checked that out yesterday:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1&postcount=12
Old 20th February 2010, 08:49 AM   #23
Alley Cat
Scholar

Oooh! You're so cynical on here.

It's still no excuse to be unfriendly.

I'm always nice to people and chunks of meat.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:00 AM   #24
Alley Cat
Scholar

... well. Maybe Shirley is an exception to my rule
Old 20th February 2010, 12:00 PM   #25
sadhatter
Philosopher

I'm ashamed for them.

WELCOME Alawaiman
Um i said a bit unfriendly , not that they were scum of the earth that require sympathetic shame.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2010, 05:16 PM   #26
Wolrab
Master Poster

Have a very happy 2674th Akhenaten! (or is it 2676? I forget)
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2010, 07:43 PM   #27
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

Considering that his/her profile indicates he/she couldn't have read at least one response (he/she left immediately after posting and hasn't been back), I consider this to be unlikely.

- Tragic Monkey
Old 20th February 2010, 07:46 PM   #28
Wolrab
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Oops...my bad....that would be when you called it a wrap.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2010, 09:10 PM   #29
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I think he is a school kid. Need to wait until it is his turn to be one the computer again. If it was spam then the same spam would be with several similar forums and it is not.

I think we should just let this thread die until he comes back.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2010, 10:52 PM   #30
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post

I get a little fuzzy on the details myself. I wonder if an Amega Wand (chrystal powered) would help to improve my memory.

Many thanks, Wolrab.

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Considering that his/her profile indicates he/she couldn't have read at least one response (he/she left immediately after posting and hasn't been back), I consider this to be unlikely.

Funny that. It's almost like us shameful, cynical old lags had checked that out before we made any comment in order to avoid embarrassing ourselves by being a bit unfriendly.

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I think he is a school kid. Need to wait until it is his turn to be one the computer again. If it was spam then the same spam would be with several similar forums and it is not.

I think we should just let this thread die until he comes back.

Not too sure, rjh. I wonder what the more experienced posters think.

Old 21st February 2010, 03:10 AM   #31
alawaiman
New Blood

Lightbulb

To the people who have viewed or responded to this post,

First of all , I would like to apologize for any feelings I may have hurt or anyone I may have offended(Akhenaten) by not using the "spell check" tool on my post. It was very late at night and I had just finished work. My father was rambling on about this new product and I had my suspicions. I have been a fan of James Randi for a few years now an have quite a good understanding on how he approaches these types of situations.
The purpose of the post was just to ask if anyone has ever heard about the product and had opinions. Yes, I am new to the forum and did not expect people to fall off their chairs because I misspelled certain words. I will try to be more careful. I found it interesting how this forum became an argument on how to treat new forum members and not about the actual topic at hand.
I appreciate those who identified that certain individuals were a bit rude. I was a bit shocked myself. After all, I thought this was a forum where people have discussions and could be themselves. Seeing that this forum uses little face icons and coloring, I thought it was like any other forum. I didn't know it would be a presidential debate where every word was nitpicked. (Did I spell that one right?) hehe,

Anyways, The question still remains and I hope to see more posts and replies. Thank you for your comments up to now and hope to hear of any evidence or more significant information about this "Amega" product line.
alawaiman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2010, 03:16 AM   #32
Sean84
Muse

*snip*

Anyways, The question still remains and I hope to see more posts and replies. Thank you for your comments up to now and hope to hear of any evidence or more significant information about this "Amega" product line.
The question is: Will it blend?
Sean84 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2010, 04:00 AM   #33
Stray Cat
Philosopher

I have been a fan of James Randi for a few years now an have quite a good understanding on how he approaches these types of situations.
Apparently you don't.

Because if you did, perhaps you'd realise that if there were any credible evidence to show it worked, you'd have found it by now.
Old 21st February 2010, 04:01 AM   #34
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

First up, my sincere apologies to you.

To the people who have viewed or responded to this post,

First of all , I would like to apologize for any feelings I may have hurt or anyone I may have offended (Akhenaten) by not using the "spell check" tool on my post.

Not at all mate. My feelings are not something I bring to the Forum. Picking on a spelling mistake was a cheap snipe at a suspected spammer, which you aren't. I reiterate my apology.

It was very late at night and I had just finished work. My father was rambling on about this new product and I had my suspicions. I have been a fan of James Randi for a few years now an have quite a good understanding on how he approaches these types of situations.

Not quite as cynically as me. That's why he has a famous website and I don't. The cream always rises to the top, as they say.

The purpose of the post was just to ask if anyone has ever heard about the product and had opinions.

Yeah, it's a total scam, as you correctly suspected.

Yes, I am new to the forum and did not expect people to fall off their chairs because I misspelled certain words. I will try to be more careful. I found it interesting how this forum became an argument on how to treat new forum members and not about the actual topic at hand.

We're a strange lot. None stranger than me. Although, in fairness to myself, 'falling off chairs' is a tad over the top.

None the less. I hope you took notes, because you will find that it's ever thus.

I appreciate those who identified that certain individuals were a bit rude. I was a bit shocked myself. After all, I thought this was a forum where people have discussions and could be themselves.

There's a nasty undercurrent of telling it like it is here. It has advantages.

Seeing that this forum uses little face icons and coloring, I thought it was like any other forum. I didn't know it would be a presidential debate where every word was nitpicked. (Did I spell that one right?) hehe,

Sincere replies are being crafted, even as you read this.

Again, my apologies

Notwithstanding that, the points in my initial response to you are still valid.

Welcome to Thunderdome, and long may you enjoy your time here.

ETA: Also, what Stray Cat said. I'm just being a bit mellow at the moment

Last edited by Akhenaten; 21st February 2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 21st February 2010, 04:18 AM   #35
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

<snip>

Not too sure, rjh. I wonder what the more experienced posters think.
Is there any doubt now? I stick to my post.

Back to the OP. There are many scams. Far too many for a handful of skeptics to debunk. However it is not up to these people to debunk them. It is up to the people who promote these things to provide the evidence that they work. The question you must ask is 'have they provided that evidence?'
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2010, 04:51 AM   #36
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Agreed rjh.

The person bringing a new claim here has the responsibilty for doing the initial reasearch.

Getting us to do it is kinda cheating.

Regards, as always.

Old 21st February 2010, 01:28 PM   #37
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

They come here ask a question and then after they have the answer they leave. It would be much better if they got the answer because we taught them how to do a search and get the answer. Then when they get another similar issue they know how to find the answer themselves.
Old 21st February 2010, 02:49 PM   #38
alawaiman
New Blood

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
Apparently you don't.

Because if you did, perhaps you'd realise that if there were any credible evidence to show it worked, you'd have found it by now.
Tell me Mr. Cat, what is the purpose of a forum? Discussion, experience, opinions maybe? Or is it a place for people like you to be selfrighteous and critisize others. If thats what it is for you, then I suggest you take a step back and think about what you are doing.

I am looking for anyone who has personal experience with the product, have talked to friends who have used it, or have testimonials. Obviously no one here knows anyone who uses the product, so I assume it is still small time and has not quite spread around the general public. That's the answer I was looking for.
Old 21st February 2010, 04:03 PM   #39
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Tell me Mr. Cat, what is the purpose of a forum? Discussion, experience, opinions maybe? Or is it a place for people like you to be selfrighteous and critisize others. If thats what it is for you, then I suggest you take a step back and think about what you are doing.

I am looking for anyone who has personal experience with the product, have talked to friends who have used it, or have testimonials. Obviously no one here knows anyone who uses the product, so I assume it is still small time and has not quite spread around the general public. That's the answer I was looking for.

And yours is the answer I was looking for.

I think perhaps I might refer you back to Post #2.

Byee!

Old 21st February 2010, 04:48 PM   #40
Stray Cat
Philosopher

The purpose of a sceptics forum is to be sceptical about extraordinary claims that come along without extraordinary evidence to back them up.

I am looking for anyone who has personal experience with the product, have talked to friends who have used it, or have testimonials.
Then you would need a new age, hippy, crystal lickers forum.

Obviously no one here knows anyone who uses the product, so I assume it is still small time and has not quite spread around the general public. That's the answer I was looking for.
Maybe no one here uses the product because it is unsubstantiated woo that doesn't really work for anything except extracting the money from gullible people's pockets.

But if you can find any evidence to show that it does work or how it works, then I'm sure there will be plenty of people here (myself included) that will look into it.

Until then...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal