ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Bill Thompson
Banned

41 Year Old Teacher Sends Nude Pics to 15 Year Old Student

Melinda Dennehy, a high school teacher from Londonderry, N.H. is in trouble with the law after offering sex acts and emailing nude photos of herself to a 15-year old student. (I read one report that said the kid was 16) The teacher had also been texting the teenager and according to the police affidavit said, “[i]n some of those messages, Dennehy told [the teenager] what she wanted.’’
Police learned about the incident after inappropriate photos of Melinda Dennehy were distributed throughout the school. The 41-year old high school teacher is now being charged with one count of indecent exposure. She's free on $7,000 bail and is due in court in late April.

Does anyone thnk the exact same thing would happen if a male teacher send nude photos of himself to 15 year old female student? Would he be out on bail?
Bill Thompson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2010, 11:44 PM   #2
laca
Illuminator

No.
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by laca View Post
No.
So should she be out on bail?

Is the crime less offensive because she is a woman?
Bill Thompson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2010, 11:53 PM   #4
laca
Illuminator

Yes.
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bill Thompson View Post
Is the crime less offensive because she is a woman?
Depends how hot she is.

Old 8th March 2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Is the boy traumatized or something?

I think in most cases it would be scarier for the student if the teacher were a man and the student a girl.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:12 AM   #7
paximperium
Penultimate Amazing

Actually yes.
Why? Do you know how the bail system is suppose to work?
Old 8th March 2010, 12:14 AM   #8
Bill Thompson
Banned

Seriously, despite the male ego, I think when I was 15, it would not be able to handle it very well.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

I think in most cases it would be scarier for the student if the teacher were a man and the student a girl.
Why?

You know, it is not about sex here. The woman is a teacher. It is an authority figure.

I also I think you are wrong. There are 15 year old girls who would laugh it off and there are 15 year old boys who might be messed up and terrified. Women have a lot of power to throw around psychologically when it comes to sex.

Our male dominated society and the male ego tell us it is no big deal. I think it is.

Last edited by Bill Thompson; 8th March 2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:27 AM   #10
Cain
Straussian

From Ratemyteacher (comments prior to the alleged wrongdoing): http://www.ratemyteachers.com/melind...hy/1972732-t/5

I love her. She's the most down to earth and chiil teacher I've ever had. By far one of my favorite teachers of all time. She lets you do ike anything.

LOVE HER!!!<33333

I LOVE U DENNN!!! hahah i <3 Gerda!!!! / Goya

melinda is my favorite! i love gerda <3

I LOVE HER

--------

Other comments refer to the boy as "Armando." The teachers that make the news are usually white, but I wonder if the boys are disproportionately ethnic. I'm guessing this guy had ridiculous game. I means, she's still attractive, even for 41. She's also a *********** idiot for leaving an electronic trail.

Male teachers seem to be a little more discreet about *********** their students, and, as far as I know, wait until the girls have graduated. (They leave their personal e-mail addresses in yearbooks). One of my favorite instructors ended up marrying a student. After he divorced his wife. She was a cheerleader. The student, not the wife.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 12:42 AM   #11
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Why?

You know, it is not about sex here. The woman is a teacher. It is an authority figure.

I also I think you are wrong. There are 15 year old girls who would laugh it off and there are 15 year old boys who might be messed up and terrified. Women have a lot of power to throw around psychologically when it comes to sex.
Which is why I wrote "in most cases."
There are exceptions. I can't say whether she should be out on bail or not because I don't know the details, but one relevant factor might be whether the boy and his family are terrified or "laughing it off" or somewhere in between.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "it is not about sex." I think that sex has something to do with it. I'm just saying there's no one-size-fits-all way to handle this that is best for all cases. She is going to suffer consequences, hopefully neither too lenient nor too harsh for what she did. Of course "too lenient" and "too harsh" are subjective here, but in my way of looking at things, it depends how damaged the boy is.
Old 8th March 2010, 01:19 AM   #12
dtugg
Banned

How come this never happened to me when I was in high school?
dtugg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 01:34 AM   #13
Soapy Sam
NLH

Seriously, despite the male ego, I think when I was 15, it would not be able to handle it very well.
I seem to recall handling it pretty much all the time at 15.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 04:37 AM   #14
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by dtugg View Post
How come this never happened to me when I was in high school?
Your teachers didn't think you were hot? Don't feel bad, I think most of us missed out on this sort of thing.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 08:06 AM   #15
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Male teachers seem to be a little more discreet about *********** their students, and, as far as I know, wait until the girls have graduated. (They leave their personal e-mail addresses in yearbooks). One of my favorite instructors ended up marrying a student. After he divorced his wife. She was a cheerleader. The student, not the wife.
There was a girl in my older sister's high school class who started dating her teacher, but only after graduation AFAIK. This girl went to the U of Illinois as did my sister and as fate would have it ended up on the same dorm floor. It was really, really creepy seeing those 2 together when I helped her move in... this teacher wasn't young and handsome. He was in his 40s or 50s and not at all what anyone would think of as attractive.

I have no idea how that turned out.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 09:40 AM   #16
GreNME
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 09:46 AM   #17
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Bill Thompson, it's interesting you approach the issue of gender discrimination using the example of an extremely rare instance when it's more profitable to be a woman than to be a man.

I assume you're in favor of the Equal Rights Amendment? And that you're outraged by pay inequity that still exists?

Or are you only in favor of the equal treatment of women when it comes to prosecuting them for sex-related crimes?
Old 8th March 2010, 09:52 AM   #18
GreNME
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
Bill Thompson, it's interesting you approach the issue of gender discrimination using the example of an extremely rare instance when it's more profitable to be a woman than to be a man.

I assume you're in favor of the Equal Rights Amendment? And that you're outraged by pay inequity that still exists?

Or are you only in favor of the equal treatment of women when it comes to prosecuting them for sex-related crimes?
No, no. That's all Affirmative Action justifying, and should be resisted.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Cainkane1
Philosopher

http://media-files.gather.com/images...6/f3/inter.jpg

Melinda Dennehy, a high school teacher from Londonderry, N.H. is in trouble with the law after offering sex acts and emailing nude photos of herself to a 15-year old student. (I read one report that said the kid was 16) The teacher had also been texting the teenager and according to the police affidavit said, “[i]n some of those messages, Dennehy told [the teenager] what she wanted.’’
Police learned about the incident after inappropriate photos of Melinda Dennehy were distributed throughout the school. The 41-year old high school teacher is now being charged with one count of indecent exposure. She's free on $7,000 bail and is due in court in late April.

Does anyone thnk the exact same thing would happen if a male teacher send nude photos of himself to 15 year old female student? Would he be out on bail?
When a grown woman risks pregnancy and std's with a male student it isn't as destructive as it is when a middleaged man puts a 15 year old girl in the same danger.

Both situations involve stupid adults. If you want to see just how stupid otherwise intelligent and educated people can be go to youtube and look up perverted justice.

At my mothers church the youth minister who had two 14 year old daughters of his own was arrested after an undercover policewoman posing as a 14 year old girl told him to come over for sex. He was arrested in what he thought was the girls home.

This happens alot.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:13 AM   #20
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Hot! Reward her! She is awesome and we need more teachers like this!

Quote:
Of course not. But we need to accept the double-standard of our very own culture. Embrace it. This "treat 'em the same" is fraud born of equality before the law, and has nothing to do with reality.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 10:39 AM   #21
rustypouch
Philosopher

So doesn't everyone know that sexism and discrimination don't count when it's in a woman's favour?
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 12:49 PM   #22
Bill Thompson
Banned

Why shouldn't the same punishment be given to this woman that would be given to a man?
Old 8th March 2010, 12:51 PM   #23
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
When a grown woman risks pregnancy and std's with a male student it isn't as destructive as it is when a middleaged man puts a 15 year old girl in the same danger.
How so? The woman could give the boy STD's.
Old 8th March 2010, 01:16 PM   #24
shadron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoetheJuggler

Why shouldn't the same punishment be given to this woman that would be given to a man?
That sounded to me like a subvocal "no, no, yes". I would sort of agree with Beerina, with the proviso that accepting it for now is not an excuse to stop trying to change it in the future:

Originally Posted by Beerina
But we need to accept the double-standard of our very own culture. Embrace it. This "treat 'em the same" is fraud born of equality before the law, and has nothing to do with reality.

Last edited by shadron; 8th March 2010 at 01:23 PM.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 02:27 PM   #25
Bill Thompson
Banned

If the 41 woman sent her naked pics and her lesbian desires to a 15 year old girl, would the crime and punishment be just as severe? One has to wonder if this happens often and if it is even reported. In all those Catholic schools all over latin america, it is hard to imagine that it has not happened. Now, you must know where I am going with this. You know it would be serious if it were a male teacher and a male student. Shouldn't it be just as bad if it were a female student and female teacher?
Old 8th March 2010, 02:30 PM   #26
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post

Of course not. But we need to accept the double-standard of our very own culture. Embrace it. This "treat 'em the same" is fraud born of equality before the law, and has nothing to do with reality.
So inequality is cool when it is fun or when we find it entertaining and embrace it

When it is not cool or fun we protest it, like in DADT.

And this makes us all feel good about ourselves.

Last edited by Bill Thompson; 8th March 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 8th March 2010, 02:31 PM   #27
real american
Critical Thinker

If the 41 woman sent her naked pics and her lesbian desires to a 15 year old girl, would the crime and punishment be just as severe? One has to wonder if this happens often and if it is even reported. In all those Catholic schools all over latin america, it is hard to imagine that it has not happened. Now, you must know where I am going with this. You know it would be serious if it were a male teacher and a male student. Shouldn't it be just as bad if it were a female student and female teacher?
I say that the should charge her like any other pervert that hs done that. The women is just like any other pig who woul think of having relations with teenager
"It only stands to reason that where there’s sacrifice, there’s someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there’s service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master." - Ayn Rand

Last edited by real american; 8th March 2010 at 02:33 PM.
real american is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 02:41 PM   #28
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by real american View Post
I say that the should charge her like any other pervert that hs done that. The women is just like any other pig who woul think of having relations with teenager
I agree. She is a pedophile.
Old 8th March 2010, 02:45 PM   #29
cornsail
Illuminator

If the boy was past puberty (which I assume he was) then I don't consider her a pedophile.
cornsail is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 02:54 PM   #30
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
If the boy was past puberty (which I assume he was) then I don't consider her a pedophile.
You're right, she's not a pedophile. She was charged with one felony count of indecent exposure, which seems appropriate. If she's found guilty she'll lose her job.
Old 8th March 2010, 02:55 PM   #31
fallout
Muse

Nothing wrong there.

Every 15 y.o. dream would have been that. (although i'm not sure yet if shes any hawt).
fallout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 03:08 PM   #32
cornsail
Illuminator

I saw a video about a support group for men who were sexually abused as children/teenagers. I remember at least one was coerced into sex by an adult female social worker at age 15 or so (and she wasn't bad looking). Seemed it screwed him up pretty bad.
cornsail is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 03:20 PM   #33
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

I knew of one relationship between a male student and a male teacher in high school. The student was decidedly less than traumatised, and I never thought it necessary to report.

I actually felt bad for the teacher . He was totally being played with.
Old 8th March 2010, 03:43 PM   #34
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
I think you could not be more wrong and if you thought about it a bit more you might change your mind. I hope you would.
Old 8th March 2010, 03:46 PM   #35
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
You're right, she's not a pedophile. She was charged with one felony count of indecent exposure, which seems appropriate. If she's found guilty she'll lose her job.
No, I think you have it a little off the mark. She is not a pedophile in the legal sense only because she did not go through with any physical contact.
Old 8th March 2010, 03:47 PM   #36
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by fallout View Post
Nothing wrong there.

Every 15 y.o. dream would have been that. (although i'm not sure yet if shes any hawt).
Not every. And some 15 year old girls have crushes on their male teachers. Would it be alright with you if those dreams were made real?
Old 8th March 2010, 03:47 PM   #37
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Tu quoque? I'm sorry, it isn't objectionable to point out gender discrepancies in both directions when they exist.

Now if Bill is doing that evenly is another question...
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 03:48 PM   #38
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Why shouldn't the same rewards be given out to equally qualified women doing the same job?

I have no problem at all with the Equal Rights Amendment. I'm all for it. I'm just asking if your position is consistent, or does it only kick in when the gender discrimination favors the woman--something that happens maybe once for every few gozillion times it goes the other way around.
Old 8th March 2010, 03:49 PM   #39
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

I think you could not be more wrong and if you thought about it a bit more you might change your mind. I hope you would.
Look up the definition of pedophile. It's someone who has a sexual attraction to prepubescent children. It's highly unlikely that a 15 year is prepubescent.
Old 8th March 2010, 03:51 PM   #40
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

No, I think you have it a little off the mark. She is not a pedophile in the legal sense only because she did not go through with any physical contact.
Being a pedophile is having a sexual attraction to children. A person can be a pedophile and never have sexual contact with a child. Pedophila is a psychological term, not a legal one.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events