ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

TAM8 Shared Google Calendar

I think somebody set one of these up last year, so I figured I'd do it this year.

Currently it only has the workshops and shows. I'll add more as more details get released:

XML Link: http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds...m/public/basic

ICAL Link: http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/...blic/basic.ics

HTML Link: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed...rica/Las_Vegas

If anybody wants to help, and you have a gmail account so I can give you access, let me know.

I know there was some weirdness with time zones last year, so please let me know if you see any problems.

Last edited by Sc00ter; 25th March 2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Fixed HTML url for correct timezone
Sc00ter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2010, 09:17 AM   #2
mumchup
Graduate Poster

I'm going to check it out when I get home from work. I'll pm my email if it's required...
mumchup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2010, 09:43 AM   #3
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Seriously cool idea, Sc00ter!
Old 25th March 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
Seriously cool idea, Sc00ter!
Thanks, but I didn't think of it. I wish I could remember who set up last years.
Sc00ter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2010, 09:34 PM   #5
ricklesgibson
Scholar

What do you think, could we add extra curricular activities to it? Like if people wanted to meet for dinner somewhere, could we add that in and specify a place and time to meet?
ricklesgibson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ricklesgibson View Post
What do you think, could we add extra curricular activities to it? Like if people wanted to meet for dinner somewhere, could we add that in and specify a place and time to meet?
I'm kind of eh about that.. Twitter/Facebook seems to be a better venue for that.. Once you start to specialize this and try to cram ever single thing into the calendar it will get cluttered with a bunch of stuff people won't care about.
Old 26th March 2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Hang on a mo. What's a calendar for if not to record calendrical events? What if I don't pay any attention to Twitter and very little to Facebook? I vote for clutter.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Hang on a mo. What's a calendar for if not to record calendrical events? What if I don't pay any attention to Twitter and very little to Facebook? I vote for clutter.

~~ Paul
Or... you could make an extra-events calendar and share that That's way to much to keep track of, the actual TAM schedule will be enough work for me.
Old 27th March 2010, 03:01 AM   #9
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Originally Posted by ricklesgibson View Post
Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post

~~ Paul
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
Or... you could make an extra-events calendar and share that That's way to much to keep track of, the actual TAM schedule will be enough work for me.
I'm with Paul. I don't do Twitter, and don't access FB mobile-y; a calendar is perfect.

I believe the extra-events could be put on the calendar, if you make multiple calendars and color-code them: restaurant/food meet-ups could be on one calendar, social events on another of the calendars, TAM official events could be put on another of the calendars.

Like that.

(My Google calendar is a wonder to behold; a veritable rainbow of events.)
Old 27th March 2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
I believe the extra-events could be put on the calendar, if you make multiple calendars and color-code them: restaurant/food meet-ups could be on one calendar, social events on another of the calendars, TAM official events could be put on another of the calendars.
Right, but each "color" has to be a different calendar. If somebody wants to do one for non-official TAM events that's fine. The one that I posted links to will be for official TAM events. I'm not going to put extra stuff on it.
Old 27th March 2010, 07:49 AM   #11
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

That's very useful, thanks! Is it possible to share the calender read-only, so I can view it in google calendar, alongside my own?

ETA: Oh, wait, I can do that already, from your third link. For anyone else, there's a link at the bottom right of the page (+Google Calendar) which lets you add Sc00ter's calendar to your own.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 27th March 2010 at 08:15 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2010, 08:28 AM   #12
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
That's very useful, thanks! Is it possible to share the calender read-only, so I can view it in google calendar, alongside my own?

ETA: Oh, wait, I can do that already, from your third link. For anyone else, there's a link at the bottom right of the page (+Google Calendar) which lets you add Sc00ter's calendar to your own.
You can do that or subscribe to the ical link in your own calendar. I think doing either has the exact same effect.
Old 28th March 2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Geek Goddess
Hot enough to melt 4" rebar

Can you add me, Scooter, you have my gmail

Jenny McCarthy - wacko
Geek Goddess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2010, 04:13 PM   #14
BrianEngler
Thinker

Great idea Scooter! Thanks. I did subscribe to yours in my own Google calendar as described. Events are in the right sequence but, since I'm on the east coast, the times translated to my calendar are off by the time zone difference. Not a big deal though.
BrianEngler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2010, 08:35 AM   #15
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by BrianEngler View Post
Great idea Scooter! Thanks. I did subscribe to yours in my own Google calendar as described. Events are in the right sequence but, since I'm on the east coast, the times translated to my calendar are off by the time zone difference. Not a big deal though.
Right, that happens. The problem is that when you go to Vegas, if it's not setup correctly, then the time will shift. This happened with my phone last year, I got to vegas and all the times were off by 3hrs, because my phone/google, corrected for the time zone change.
Old 28th April 2010, 07:43 AM   #16
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Bumping this, since I just updated it.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:04 AM   #17
DocM
Thinker

Hm, breakfast is at 16:30. That seems a bit late, even for me...

Pretty sure I can correct that, though. Thanks for the work you put into this.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by DocM View Post

It's set for the LV time zone. If I set it for your current time zone, everything will shift.

For example, I'm in eastern, so I set all the events 3hrs ahead. If I set it up as what it is in the schedule everything will be skewed 3hrs behind. That happened to me last year.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:11 AM   #19
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by DocM View Post

In fact, I think I already explained that.. Oh, I did (http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9&postcount=15).

If you click on the "HTML Link" you'll see that it has the correct times.
Old 28th April 2010, 05:22 PM   #20
JamyeJ
Scholar

Does anybody know who did the iPhone app for last year, and can we incorporate this calendar into an app again?

That was the coolest!
JamyeJ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2010, 01:32 AM   #21
DocM
Thinker

The App was "Follow Me". (http://www.cesweb.org/followme.asp)

The way I understood it, it was more of a demo last year, and usually the app is not free. Still, it would be cool to have it this year too.
Old 1st May 2010, 09:31 AM   #22
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
I have created a Google TAM 8 Unofficial Events Calendar. Here is the link to Google Calendar.

Here is the thread I have created for the unofficial events calendar.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:54 PM   #23
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Posted in the wrong place, sorry!
Old 2nd July 2010, 05:46 AM   #24
Sc00ter
Critical Thinker

Updated with the latest. BUMP!
Old 6th July 2010, 08:56 PM   #25
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Just a quick related plug....

I mention this Google Calendar of events as well as a bunch of other online tools to help you enjoy TAM8 in my Digital Guide to The Amazing Meeting 8 over at my blog. Lots of good tips and links.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events