IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Tacita
Muse

Ancient Astronaut (a Specific One)

A friend wanted me to explain/debunk an ancient astronaut image he saw, apparently the guy looks like he's in a space suit (or old timey diving suit) with helmet covering his whole head, gloves, and wires and/or tubes running everywhere, and "buttons" (like Darth Vader, not like clothing) on the chest.

I don't know what this image is or where it's from, so I am having trouble searching for references to it. Does this ring a bell for anyone? Or maybe it's been discussed here before? I believe it was a stone carving but I could be wrong.
Tacita is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 11:21 AM   #2
wendyinthewind
Human Salad Sandwich

could be something on here that will help you

http://www.alien-ufo-pictures.com/ancient_aliens2.html

Silence! The Creator spake!~AJM8125
wendyinthewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Robo Sapien

Originally Posted by Tacita View Post
A friend wanted me to explain/debunk an ancient astronaut image he saw, apparently the guy looks like he's in a space suit (or old timey diving suit) with helmet covering his whole head, gloves, and wires and/or tubes running everywhere, and "buttons" (like Darth Vader, not like clothing) on the chest.

I don't know what this image is or where it's from, so I am having trouble searching for references to it. Does this ring a bell for anyone? Or maybe it's been discussed here before? I believe it was a stone carving but I could be wrong.

Complete bunk, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_astronauts
Old 5th May 2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Tacita
Muse

I know it's bunk. I wasn't looking for pics in general of them or an explanation, just hoping someone might recognize the specific one I described, so I can do a search for that particular one. Something along the lines of what it's called or where it was discovered.

That first link might have it, I'll look through there. Thanks!

Last edited by Tacita; 5th May 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Tacita is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

I believe you are talking about this one?

Google Maya astronaut
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Uncayimmy
Banned

Maybe it was an ancient biker.

Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Morwen
Reality junkie

Google for "Palenque Astronaut".

"La vida, esa chulería de la materia" -- Emile Ciorán
Morwen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Marduk
Banned

http://www.alien-ufo-pictures.com/suited-alien.jpg
this one ?
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Trent Wray

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
It took you long enough ...
Trent Wray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Policenaut
Infidel Defiler

Here the complete and 100% accurate breakdown of the mayan astronaut:

http://image38.webshots.com/38/4/93/...2zAyonR_fs.jpg

Make sure to wear a tin foil hat while looking at that picture or the space mayans will abduct, anally probe, and decapitate you. Their rocket fuel is the sacrificial blood of morons.
Policenaut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 12:40 AM   #11
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Policenaut View Post
Here the complete and 100% accurate breakdown of the mayan astronaut:

http://image38.webshots.com/38/4/93/...2zAyonR_fs.jpg

Make sure to wear a tin foil hat while looking at that picture or the space mayans will abduct, anally probe, and decapitate you. Their rocket fuel is the sacrificial blood of morons.

Quote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /38/4/93/62/2416493620046766032zAyonR_fs.jpg on this server.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 01:00 AM   #12
Policenaut
Infidel Defiler

It's a conspiracy. The space mayans don't want you to see the truth. Duct tape your ass shut before they get you!

Here's a working link (BEWARE): http://i42.tinypic.com/bfhvg2.jpg
Policenaut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 01:01 AM   #13
DC
Banned

are you guys claiming Erich von Däniken was wrong?
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 07:19 AM   #14
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by DC View Post
are you guys claiming Erich von Däniken was wrong?
are you claiming anything he said was right
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Tacita
Muse

Sorry, it wasn't the Maya one for sure, he's already had that debunked by someone matter of factly telling him that in the original, or in the position it was originally found (?) the Maya is facing downward, not space-ward (I have no idea whether that's true or not, but that satisfied him).

The biker one is close, where is it from and/or what is it called? I'm pretty sure it's not the metal one. I'll try to get more info from him, maybe one of us is misremembering.

Last edited by Tacita; 6th May 2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:21 AM   #16
Marduk
Banned

Doggone it,

mwahahaha
Old 6th May 2010, 09:58 AM   #17
Tacita
Muse

I was just informed that I'm not supposed to post on behalf of others, so I just deleted much of this post. Here is an image he says comes very close:

http://www.bibleufo.com/uamexnastro.jpg

I'll search some more here on the forums for older posts where it might already be discussed.

Last edited by Tacita; 6th May 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Marduk
Banned

1. very common figurine from Japan called Dogu, from a shamanistic culture, the Jomon
British museum has a collection of them at the moment
see here
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_o...r_of_dogu.aspx
2. The Kayapo figure has no providence (ufonuts claim its anywhere between 700bce and 4000bce. but, it was probably manufactured in the 50s
3 & 4 have frequently been claimed to be ancient, but again they have no providence. They have been manufactured by someone who is familiar with 1970s NASA technology though, thats very obvious. So is probably a hoax from a sitchenite
5 is a typical figure of a warrior priest (Aztec I think) which is wearing a head covering leopard headdress.

This is important Tacita, when something has no providence it always means its irrelevant. I could manufacture something and then bury it for a fortnight, then go dig it up, that way it would at least have providence that I am vouching for its authenticity as regards it came out of the ground. When it comes to ancient artifacts providence is everything, if there is none, there is always a reason why not.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:28 AM   #19
Marduk
Banned

I was just informed that I'm not supposed to post on behalf of others, so I just deleted much of this post. Here is an image he says comes very close:
Your "friend" isnt known as "King of the Americas" is he ?

at some point hes going to start claiming that there are pictures of alien spaceships in renaissance art
This website should see that conclusion safely dead and buried
http://www.sprezzatura.it/Arte/Arte_UFO_1_eng.htm

Last edited by Marduk; 6th May 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:56 AM   #20
Marduk
Banned

Okay, Native indian headresses

heres yours

heres another

Heres one shown wearing a bird headdress

and heres what will show them not to be spacesuits, a modern repro figurine of the same thing but this time with a remarkable innovation called "colour" (thats "color" for you colonial pedants)

so either this is a jaguar Headdress mistaken for an NASA type space helmet (its always NASA too for some reason) or the aliens have space helmets designed to emulate native american Headdresses. Now go back and look at the central nob like structure on the image you posted above the mans head. Its the Jaguars nose isnt it.

ask your friend which he thinks is now more likely

Also might want to ask him why if its an alien its clearly showing a human face. Thats a little unlikely that any other sentient species which evolved elsewhere but here will look anything remotely like us (and no I dont give a damn what utter BS explanation Roddenberry came up with to keep his episodes cheap to make)

Last edited by Marduk; 6th May 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:59 AM   #21
Tacita
Muse

Not that I'm aware of.

Thanks for the help with the rest! And I found the paintings link here by searching. Next time I'll do that before asking stupid questions.

He did find the image finally and it looks just like that last headdress. I asked him to come up with a fully body pic before embarrassing myself further.

Last edited by Tacita; 6th May 2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: missed last post
Old 6th May 2010, 11:13 AM   #22
Philosaur
Muse

1. very common figurine from Japan called Dogu, from a shamanistic culture, the Jomon
British museum has a collection of them at the moment
see here
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_o...r_of_dogu.aspx
2. The Kayapo figure has no providence (ufonuts claim its anywhere between 700bce and 4000bce. but, it was probably manufactured in the 50s
3 & 4 have frequently been claimed to be ancient, but again they have no providence. They have been manufactured by someone who is familiar with 1970s NASA technology though, thats very obvious. So is probably a hoax from a sitchenite
5 is a typical figure of a warrior priest (Aztec I think) which is wearing a head covering leopard headdress.

This is important Tacita, when something has no providence it always means its irrelevant. I could manufacture something and then bury it for a fortnight, then go dig it up, that way it would at least have providence that I am vouching for its authenticity as regards it came out of the ground. When it comes to ancient artifacts providence is everything, if there is none, there is always a reason why not.
I was confused until I realized you must mean "provenance":

prov·e·nance   [prov-uh-nuhns, -nahns] Show IPA
–noun
place or source of origin: The provenance of the ancient manuscript has never been determined.
Philosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 11:20 AM   #23
Philosaur
Muse

You might also Google "Dogon Astronaut" or "Dogon Sirius". I swear I've seen the picture you described, and for some reason it reminds me of the Dogon.

They supposedly had cave paintings that "proved" they knew that Sirius was a binary star system. It's been exhaustively investigated, and pretty much debunked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sirius_Mystery
Philosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 11:24 AM   #24
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Philosaur View Post
I was confused until I realized you must mean "provenance":

prov·e·nance   [prov-uh-nuhns, -nahns] Show IPA
–noun
place or source of origin: The provenance of the ancient manuscript has never been determined.
You can't have been as confused as I was. This is a result of me getting older, in the last few weeks I have been spelling things my own way, like "Seperate" and "Hippocrit". Now its providence instead of provenance. I cant wait to see what I get wrong next

thanks for pointing out my abject failure
Old 6th May 2010, 11:25 AM   #25
Marduk
Banned

You might also Google "Dogon Astronaut" or "Dogon Sirius". I swear I've seen the picture you described, and for some reason it reminds me of the Dogon.
Can't be Dogon, its Amerind. Different continent yanno

They supposedly had cave paintings that "proved" they knew that Sirius was a binary star system. It's been exhaustively investigated, and pretty much debunked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sirius_Mystery
The original claim made by Giraud was that they said it was a tertiary system. But pseudo historians try to dumb that bit down by not even mentioning it and no one else can be bothered to purchase a copy of "the pale fox" to see what they actually said.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pale-Fox-M-G...3170505&sr=1-1

Last edited by Marduk; 6th May 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Marduk
Banned

In case anyone is still interested in this alien woo
heres the original picture that Tacita was talking about

Old 6th May 2010, 11:45 AM   #27
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation

Source
Old 6th May 2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Philosaur
Muse

You can't have been as confused as I was. This is a result of me getting older, in the last few weeks I have been spelling things my own way, like "Seperate" and "Hippocrit". Now its providence instead of provenance. I cant wait to see what I get wrong next

thanks for pointing out my abject failure
The smiley was supposed to take the sting out.

Can't be Dogon, its Amerind. Different continent yanno

Oops. My response should have been pointing at the OP.
Quote:
The original claim made by Giraud was that they said it was a tertiary system. But pseudo historians try to dumb that bit down by not even mentioning it and no one else can be bothered to purchase a copy of "the pale fox" to see what they actually said.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pale-Fox-M-G...3170505&sr=1-1
...Cough....trinary, ternery, or triple....
Old 6th May 2010, 11:48 AM   #29
Philosaur
Muse

In case anyone is still interested in this alien woo
heres the original picture that Tacita was talking about
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...arduk/face.jpg
They were SCUBA DIVERS?!!?
Old 6th May 2010, 04:40 PM   #30
Marduk
Banned

They were SCUBA DIVERS?!!?
Thats one of my favourite woo alien claims
The Amphibious star teachers myth

It all starts with this character

His name was Oannes and he was introduced to the Selucid King Antiochus I Soter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiochus_I_Soter
by the Book, the Babyloniaca, written by the Babylonian priest Berossus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berossus
Antiochus immediately saw him as a long lost brother of Poseidon and incorporated him into his own pantheon where he was transmitted to the rest of the Hellenistic world and worshipped everywhere

Alien Astronaut enthusiasts claim this is sufficient proof that an amphibian Alien was present in ancient times and they back up their claims with images like this

which shows Oannes on an Assyrian cylinder seal which post dates the Babyloniaca.

What they don't know is that Berossus was a priest in Babylon during the time it was a vassal state to the Selucid Empire and there was no love lost there. Berossus was in fact ordered to write the book on the Kings whim as he wanted to know all about the new land that he had conquered.

So Berossus wrote about the Fishman Oannes and Antiochus ran with it
I guess he didn't hear the snickering of the priests because
Oannes didn't exist before the Babyaloniaca
He was completely invented by Berossus

He was based on this character

His name was Uan and he was a wise fisherman
you can see his legs and that he is in fact wearing a fish costume. this is a complicated form of symbolism, it means "look hes a fisherman".
His appearence was incorporated into religious practice and priests traditionally dressed that way from the Assyrian period (this explains why there are two Uans on that cylinder seal.)

He in turn was based on the Sumerian wise fisherman Adapa
http://www.piney.com/Adapa.html
who looks like this

So theres no possible outer space or alien connection there

But
There is a definite connection between Adapa the fisherman of Eridu and someone I know you all know and love

Thats right, the fisherman of Rome whos vestal garments are based on ancient greek vestments. which are based on the tradition of Uan the fisherman

I have yet to see any Alien conspirasists claiming that the Pope wears an alien hat, seems they are missing a trick by not knowing all the facts
but that wouldnt be the first time would it

Last edited by Marduk; 6th May 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 7th May 2010, 04:12 PM   #31
Lucian
Illuminator

Thats one of my favourite woo alien claims
The Amphibious star teachers myth

It all starts with this character
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...duk/Oannes.jpg
<snip of interesting and informative information>
Okay, when I first saw this guy, I totally thought he was juggling. I know there's no object in the air: it's the position of the hands. I see the other figures have their arms/hands in similar positions, but this one in particular says "juggling" to me. I really like the idea of the alien merman who came to earth to teach humans to juggle.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2010, 04:26 PM   #32
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

I beg to differ. In his lower hand, he holds a purse. Clearly the ancient alien astronauts were gay
Old 7th May 2010, 04:49 PM   #33
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
I beg to differ. In his lower hand, he holds a purse. Clearly the ancient alien astronauts were gay
Well, yes, on closer inspection it does appear to be a dainty purse. A mershemale? Perhaps the alien fish-folk have transcended our narrow concepts of gender identity. Don't some fish change sexes? Anyway, I still say he's about to start juggling his purse and little scroll of paper.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2010, 04:52 PM   #34
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
He was just trying to find someone to ride his "rocket ship".
Old 7th May 2010, 04:56 PM   #35
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
He was just trying to find someone to ride his "rocket ship".
Space probing has never been the same.
Old 7th May 2010, 08:49 PM   #36
Trent Wray

I'm still trying to find out if this guy is supposed to be on the toilet, or whether or not he actually crapped out that skull he's holding. I mean, just look at the poor bustard's facial expression :

Marduk is the undisputed heavyweight champion of ancient woo theories
Trent Wray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2010, 09:17 PM   #37
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trent Wray View Post
I'm still trying to find out if this guy is supposed to be on the toilet, or whether or not he actually crapped out that skull he's holding. I mean, just look at the poor bustard's facial expression :

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...duk/alien2.jpg

Marduk is the undisputed heavyweight champion of ancient woo theories
He crapped a skull out of his knee? Well that proves he's an alien, right?
Old 7th May 2010, 09:23 PM   #38
Trent Wray

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
He crapped a skull out of his knee? Well that proves he's an alien, right?
I've always assumed that's what doctors were testing reflexes below the knee for .... to see if any of us would crap skulls out of our knees after being "tapped" there ....
Old 7th May 2010, 11:00 PM   #39
skeptiform5
Scholar

I believe thats the image.
skeptiform5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2010, 04:43 AM   #40
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Well, yes, on closer inspection it does appear to be a dainty purse. A mershemale? Perhaps the alien fish-folk have transcended our narrow concepts of gender identity. Don't some fish change sexes? Anyway, I still say he's about to start juggling his purse and little scroll of paper.
If you look at the better quality carvings you will see that its actually a bucket hes holding, its just the Greek description that makes it look like a purse. In traditional mesopotamian religious rites this bucket held either sacred water or anointing oil, what you are seeing a piece of paper was actually originally a pinecone (this can be seen best in the Adapa picture) which was what they used as a sprinkler

Originally Posted by Trent Wray View Post
I mean, just look at the poor bustard's facial expression
Lets not forget, this as it is from an Olmec culture, is the civilisation that first developed the hot chilli as a food item. I can well sympathise with him as have often found myself with that same facial expression after a hot mexican the night before

Last edited by Marduk; 8th May 2010 at 04:46 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal