ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancer , Francine Scrayen , homeopathy , Penelope Dingle

Old 10th June 2010, 05:01 AM   #1
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Cancer death puts homeopathy in dock

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225877659069

Quote:
A homeopath told a patient with rectal cancer to avoid mainstream medicine because alternative treatment alone could cure her, an inquest was told.

The evidence given by her sister, as reported there, is astonishing.

See also: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...10/2923936.htm

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 05:16 AM   #2
McHrozni
Illuminator

Quote:
She said she had been told by one of the couple's close friends that the Dingles had a pact with the homeopath treating Dingle, Francine Scrayen.

Under the pact, they agreed that only alternative medicine would be used and Dr Dingle would then write a book about curing his wife's cancer.
Hm. I wonder if, under this pact, he could be forced to write a book titled: "How my homeopathic remedies killed a woman".

I'd buy it.

McHrozni
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 05:20 AM   #3
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Appalling. However, like the baby with the eczema, we'll be told that this is a bizarre aberration of a maverick practitioner, and no responsible homoeopath would give such advice. Nobody will confront the fact that this is what they all believe and advise, it's just that most of them have sufficient common sense to abandon their principles if they encounter real, serious illness and confine themselves to "supporting the patient in a complementary role" and prescribing remedies to "alleviate the side-effects of chemotherapy".

The fact is that they all talk the talk. Very few of them may walk the walk all the way, but does that excuse the talk? Peter Fisher may deplore the homoeopaths who tell people to avoid anti-malarials and take homoeopathic prophylactics as well, but they're only following the logic of his own basic position.

Rolfe.
Old 10th June 2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Peter Fisher may deplore the homoeopaths who tell people to avoid anti-malarials and take homoeopathic prophylactics as well, but they're only following the logic of his own basic position.

Indeed - how does he know the homoeopathic malaria prophylactics don't work?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 05:37 AM   #5
Rolfe

I think he's spent his life carefully only dealing with the self-limiting, the chronic but non-life-threatening, and the worried well. He's comfortable that homoeopathy "works" within these parameters. He doesn't believe homoeopaths should step out of this comfort zone, but he has never analysed the reasons for this belief.

Rolfe.
Old 10th June 2010, 05:40 AM   #6
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

From the second link above - "She had dozens of bottles of pills. She had to follow her homeopath's instructions exactly," she said."

Wonder if the coroner will question the homeopath as to the mechanism by which her treatment would cure cancer. I predict silence or obfuscation but am not willing to rule out batguano insanity as a reply.
Old 10th June 2010, 06:05 AM   #7
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Homeopathy. Never. Works.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

I really wish these alt-med nutters would be held accountable for this kind of stuff.

BTW, I am unfamiliar with the colloquialism "in dock." What exactly does that mean? Searching shows that it is widely used in British and Australian media, but I can't find an explanation of meaning of the phrase. The best match I can come up with would be "on the spot" or "on the hot seat" or "under fire." Is that even close?
Old 10th June 2010, 07:10 AM   #9
Spiro
Scholar

The dock is the walled podium in a UK court where the accused stands during their trial.
Spiro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Originally Posted by Spiro View Post
The dock is the walled podium in a UK court where the accused stands during their trial.
Got it. Thanks. So, all of homeopathy is on trial? Cool.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Psi Baba View Post
Got it. Thanks. So, all of homeopathy is on trial? Cool.
You wish...
Old 10th June 2010, 12:38 PM   #12
cassis
Collector of three letter words

Originally Posted by Spiro View Post
Although this may not have been the poster's intention, I took it to mean "into storage" or "to bed" or "put away" or "into port", i.e. to imply that the death cast enough doubt on homeopathy that it should be locked up and put away. I thought the poster had taken a little license with the phrase "in[to dry] dock". The quoted meaning is more accurate of course but given the topic, both ideas have merit, I would say.

Last edited by cassis; 10th June 2010 at 12:39 PM.
cassis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Rolfe

"In the dock" is a standard figure of speech for "on trial", in the sense of standing accused of causing harm.

Don't you have docks in them furrin courts?

Rolfe.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:41 PM   #14
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Something to do with "Admiralty Law".

Old 10th June 2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by cassis View Post
Although this may not have been the poster's intention, I took it to mean "into storage" or "to bed" or "put away" or "into port", i.e. to imply that the death cast enough doubt on homeopathy that it should be locked up and put away. I thought the poster had taken a little license with the phrase "in[to dry] dock". The quoted meaning is more accurate of course but given the topic, both ideas have merit, I would say.

I just used the headline of the story for the thread title. Headlines rarely have room for the definite article.

Old 10th June 2010, 12:55 PM   #16
geni

So what type of homeopathy is Francine Scrayen? Multiple remedies is unusual. On the other hand all their web listingings are for homeapathy so not a case of a wondering quack.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 01:18 PM   #17
shadron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Multiple remedies is unusual. On the other hand all their web listingings are for homeapathy so not a case of a wondering quack.
...even when you can charge by the bottle? Was she by any chance providing the 'medicines'?
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 01:33 PM   #18
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post

Homeopathy. Never. Works.

Worst. Idea. Ever.
That's not true, homeopathy can help in the alleviation of at least two diseases/conditions that I can think of off the top of my head.
Low blood sugar
Dehydration

Granted, you have to have to proper forumation of homeopathic solutions, solid pillules in the first case and a liquid remedy in the second, but I think you can see that both of these life-threatening cases could be satifactorily treated with a homeopathic remedy.

I am not a doctor and my words should not be taken as an endorsement of said treatments.
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 01:36 PM   #19
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Appalling. However, like the baby with the eczema, we'll be told that this is a bizarre aberration of a maverick practitioner, and no responsible homoeopath would give such advice.
And the savvy homeopathic practitioners will encourage you to get conventional medical treatment so that they can claim to have cured you despite the negative effects of "allopathy". (Or just lie and say that medical science could do nothing about the condition, but they improved markedly after they took the homeopathic--which just so happened to take place about the time you'd expect the conventional treatment to cause an improvement.)
Old 10th June 2010, 01:39 PM   #20
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kmortis View Post
That's not true, homeopathy can help in the alleviation of at least two diseases/conditions that I can think of off the top of my head.
Low blood sugar
Dehydration

Granted, you have to have to proper forumation of homeopathic solutions, solid pillules in the first case and a liquid remedy in the second, but I think you can see that both of these life-threatening cases could be satifactorily treated with a homeopathic remedy.
And, to have any reasonable chance of helping with these conditions, you'd have to take the homeopathic remedy in doses far greater than are normally recommended by the homeopaths. (10 to 20 drops of water per day won't do much to alleviate dehydration.)
Old 10th June 2010, 01:43 PM   #21
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
And, to have any reasonable chance of helping with these conditions, you'd have to take the homeopathic remedy in doses far greater than are normally recommended by the homeopaths. (10 to 20 drops of water per day won't do much to alleviate dehydration.)
I never said it was a perfect cure.....

You're overthinking it a bit....
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 01:43 PM   #22
geni

Originally Posted by shadron View Post
...even when you can charge by the bottle? Was she by any chance providing the 'medicines'?
Well the building that is her postal adress is pretty new (it doesn't show up on google streetview).....

But seriously the charge for the remedies tends to be fairly low with the money being made up on consultation fees.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 01:46 PM   #23
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
And the savvy homeopathic practitioners will encourage you to get conventional medical treatment so that they can claim to have cured you...

Under the microscope: Actress Olivia Newton John on breast cancer and her love for white toast

Quote:
I used homeopathy, acupuncture, yoga and meditation in conjunction with my chemotherapy to help me get stronger again after the cancer.

I also chanted with Buddhist friends and prayed with Christian friends. I covered all my bases.

Or, as the story is headlined elsewhere: "Olivia Newton John uses Homeopathy."

Last edited by Mojo; 10th June 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10th June 2010, 03:13 PM   #24
Daylightstar
Illuminator

She covered all her bases.

Which really means she had no faith in either one of them. Since most of these are faith based magical thinking, it's not going to work so well.
Sorry Olivia, enjoyed your movies. Rest in peace.

Oh wait, she got chemo as well.
Old 10th June 2010, 07:13 PM   #25
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

"In the dock" is a standard figure of speech for "on trial", in the sense of standing accused of causing harm.

Rolfe.
No. The accused sits at a table next to their lawyer (the other lawyer and lawyer's client sits at a table on nearby). They do not have to stand, and if they do, it is just at the table.

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 07:22 PM   #26
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Odd outcome can be in any system. Few are accounted others may not.

Can Chemical Medicines+Potentised Remedies be the solution for many unclear disorder to cover both Matter & Energy.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 07:34 PM   #27
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Odd outcome can be in any system. Few are accounted others may not.
This doesn't make sense.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 10:39 PM   #28
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
This doesn't make sense.
As this is not accounted;-

The BBC have found someone whose cancer was cured by homeopathy
http://www.badscience.net/2010/02/th...by-homeopathy/

Can Chemical Medicines+Potentised Remedies be the solution for many unclear disorder to cover both Matter & Energy.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 10:51 PM   #29
Filippo Lippi
Graduate Poster

I thought you were a sceptic now?
Old 10th June 2010, 11:03 PM   #30
kerikiwi
Philosopher

No, the BBC has not. The woman is totally deluded.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2010, 11:17 PM   #31
Yuri Nalyssus
Graduate Poster

Not quite the same thing though, is it? Someone can believe they have cancer but be mistaken and appear then to be cured by a bogus treatment. It's a bit more difficult to be mistaken about whether or not you're dead.

Yuri
Old 11th June 2010, 08:10 PM   #32
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yuri Nalyssus View Post
Not quite the same thing though, is it? Someone can believe they have cancer but be mistaken and appear then to be cured by a bogus treatment. It's a bit more difficult to be mistaken about whether or not you're dead.

Yuri
You can google other cases in favour of alternative systems. If a person is both sided, he is called a justified person otherwise biased or selfish.

Old 11th June 2010, 08:52 PM   #33
kerikiwi
Philosopher

If a person is both sided, he is called a justified person otherwise biased or selfish.
By ' both sided' do you mean a person who accepts both real medicine(medicine supported by evidence that it actually works) and 'alternative' medicine?
That's not 'justified', that's something else.
If a person only accepts that which is supported by evidence, that's not biased and selfish, that's something else.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:29 PM   #34
tuoni
Critical Thinker

Has the fact that the link points to a website whose domain is "BAD SCIENCE" not given you a clue as to its validity?
tuoni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2010, 09:59 PM   #35
quadraginta
What was the question?

Rolfe.

I think (not sure) that a dedicated enclosure ("dock") for the defendant may have been a regular part of court furnishings in England when this phrase developed. Perhaps it still is.

The closest U.S. analogue would be the "witness stand", which doesn't carry the same opprobrium of being charged with a crime. U.S. defendants normally sit with their attorneys at a table in front of the judge, just like the prosecution team.
Old 12th June 2010, 10:23 AM   #36
Eos of the Eons
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
She covered all her bases.

Which really means she had no faith in either one of them. Since most of these are faith based magical thinking, it's not going to work so well.
Sorry Olivia, enjoyed your movies. Rest in peace.

Oh wait, she got chemo as well.
She got chemo wayyyyyyyy too late, but I thought I read it was too late to even try chemo? *goes back to article*

No mention of chemo for dingle. None received. She only needed surgery at first, but waited too long, and then it was too widespread to do anything for her.
The Lateral Truth: An Apostate's Bible Stories by Rebecca Bradley, read it!

Last edited by Eos of the Eons; 12th June 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Eos of the Eons is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2010, 11:52 AM   #37
Schrodinger's Cat

Appalling. However, like the baby with the eczema, we'll be told that this is a bizarre aberration of a maverick practitioner, and no responsible homoeopath would give such advice. Nobody will confront the fact that this is what they all believe and advise, it's just that most of them have sufficient common sense to abandon their principles if they encounter real, serious illness and confine themselves to "supporting the patient in a complementary role" and prescribing remedies to "alleviate the side-effects of chemotherapy".

The fact is that they all talk the talk. Very few of them may walk the walk all the way, but does that excuse the talk? Peter Fisher may deplore the homoeopaths who tell people to avoid anti-malarials and take homoeopathic prophylactics as well, but they're only following the logic of his own basic position.

Rolfe.
Just curious, would you consider medical marijuana given to people to alleviate the side effects of chemotherapy alternative medicine? Or, since it actually has been demonstrably effective and is often recommended by mainstream doctors, would you consider that conventional medicine?

Last edited by Schrodinger's Cat; 12th June 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Schrodinger's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2010, 12:39 PM   #38
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post
Just curious, would you consider medical marijuana given to people to alleviate the side effects of chemotherapy alternative medicine? Or, since it actually has been demonstrably effective and is often recommended by mainstream doctors, would you consider that conventional medicine?

I certainly wouldn't consider it to be homoeopathy.

Old 12th June 2010, 01:15 PM   #39
quadraginta
What was the question?

Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post

This brings up the thorny problem of defining "alternative medicine". My working definition tends to lean towards "treatments which have not been clearly demonstrated by rigorous science to be effective." Obviously, everyone won't agree with that one, but it's not unlike trying to define what exactly constitutes "country music". A lot depends on your perspective.

I don't think that there is any real question in the scientific community concerning the efficacy of marijuana as a palliative for the discomforts of chemotherapy, so I'd have to say, no, it isn't "alternative" medicine in that sense.

Whether or not it is an "approved" medicine seems to be more a matter of politics and geography than science. This might lead us into an alternative definition of "alternative".
Old 12th June 2010, 01:50 PM   #40
Rolfe

I wouldn't call it alternative, no. It's being used rationally, because of an apparent rational effect, though for obvious reasons it hasn't had enough formal testing to call it evidence-based either.

I wouldn't call cough mixtures alternative medicine either, even though that might be more feel-good, feel you're doing something, than actual pharmacological effect.

Rofe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology