ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st July 2010, 09:40 AM   #1
saganite
Black-and-white Cat-foot

TAM 8 Forumite Scavenger Hunt -- Can You Meet Every JREF Forumite this TAM?

So here are the facts:

Over one hundred people have pre-registered for TAM and announced their attendance on the TAM 8 Roll Call! thread. Some, we all know. Others, none of us know. Most fall somewhere in the middle.

Every year, a few shy forumites don't get to meet all the people they'd like to. This is unacceptable -- people come to TAM to mingle and meet. This is a great way to make sure every single person is met, greeted and included.

Here's the deal:

Before you leave for TAM, print out the most recent list of attendees from the Roll Call! thread. I'm making the cut-off Tuesday, July 6th, since the majority of attendees will be arriving on Wednesday, July 7th. When I arrive (Thursday afternoon), I will also bring back-up lists with me which you can collect from me at the reception.

Start: the evening of Thursday, July 8th. The beginning of the kick-off reception is the EARLIEST you may begin collecting signatures. Before that point if you meet forumites then you can arrange to go back to collect their signature later, but please don't cheat and collect a bunch of signatures Wednesday night so you can beat everyone else to the punch.

End: Sunday, July 11th at 10am OR when the first person brings me a complete list of signatures.

Oh, you want to know about a prize? Okay fine, here's the prize:

New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary DVD Collection, including:

- Pink Flamingos
- A Nightmare on Elm Street
- The Player
- The Mask
- Seven
- Austin Powers
- Boogie Nights
- Wag the Dog
- The Wedding Singer
- Rush Hour
- Blow
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- Elf
- The Notebook
- Wedding Crashers
- Documentary on the history of New Line Cinema

Sealed in its original packaging. These go on eBay for a minimum of $100. It's an awesome prize, people.

I'm not going to be all weird and rule-y about having to check in with me beforehand -- just wait until Thursday evening and then get to collecting. Anyone can participate. And it would be cool if you posted here to let me know you're planning to play, so I can get a rough estimate of how many players to keep track of.

Last edited by saganite; 1st July 2010 at 09:53 AM.
saganite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 09:48 AM   #2
bumlet5
Indescribable

I'm in.

"I'm a soundwave tsunami, vocal origami, hijack the mic and it's not like anyone could stop me." -mc chris
"I've seen so much death" <("<) (>")> <("<) (>")> <("<) (>")> -Nathan Fillion
bumlet5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 09:52 AM   #3
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

I'm in!
Old 1st July 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Sounds like a great idea for a game! I fully endorse it!

Unfortunately, I probably shouldn't play, because I would have an unfair advantage over most of the other players. But, I might run around with the list, anyway, as an excuse to meet people.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
saganite
Black-and-white Cat-foot

See, I figure while there will be a lot of people that will be easy to find right off the bat, others will be trickier. Not everyone will have their avatar on their badge, and there will be several newcomers whom nobody has met yet, who may be very difficult to find.

Newbies -- you can make things easy on the players by putting your forum name on your badge, or much harder by shielding your identity.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I predict that xenxabar will win this handily.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:39 AM   #7
saganite
Black-and-white Cat-foot

Update #1: I've created a checklist that's much prettier and less cumbersome than just printing names out from the internet would be, so it's in your best interest to just find me at the reception (I'll be the blonde wearing a purple top and white jeans, with a freakin' panda avatar on my badge.) Extra bonus: my signature will already be on those particular checklists.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:40 AM   #8
saganite
Black-and-white Cat-foot

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Xenxabar may or may not be eligible for this hunt, depending on whether or not he can adequately bribe me with homemade beef jerky.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:57 AM   #9
bumlet5
Indescribable

Originally Posted by saganite View Post
Extra bonus: my signature will already be on those particular checklists.
You're way too nice!

Xenxabar may or may not be eligible for this hunt, depending on whether or not he can adequately bribe me with homemade beef jerky.
With this knowledge, I now know what the price for my signature will be for him.

"I'm a soundwave tsunami, vocal origami, hijack the mic and it's not like anyone could stop me." -mc chris
bumlet5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 11:20 AM   #10
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Originally Posted by bumlet5 View Post
With this knowledge, I now know what the price for my signature will be for him.
Bacon chocolate tacos?
Old 1st July 2010, 11:51 AM   #11
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Thank you for organizing this, Saganite! I won't be competing but I'll be happy to sign checklists.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:18 PM   #12
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Originally Posted by SkepticScott View Post
Thank you for organizing this, Saganite! I won't be competing but I'll be happy to sign checklists.
You may regret that!
Old 1st July 2010, 12:30 PM   #13
bumlet5
Indescribable

Mmm... Vosges Bacon Chocolate.

I hope to go home soon. I have some there.

Old 1st July 2010, 12:37 PM   #14
rustypouch
Philosopher

Bonus points for however brings my sig!
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 12:40 PM   #15
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

(I'll be the smokin' hot blonde wearing a purple top and white jeans, with a freakin' panda avatar on my badge.)
To further clarify for the newbies.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 12:41 PM   #16
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I won't be signing any lists. So no one can win!

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 12:50 PM   #17
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
So we'll just change the rules to be the person with the most signatures wins.

One person will not be allowed to bollix it for everybody.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:52 PM   #18
bumlet5
Indescribable

I'll figure out a way.

Old 1st July 2010, 01:04 PM   #19
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Only those who buy me a beer or give me something of value will have their list signed.

Old 1st July 2010, 01:18 PM   #20
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Only those who buy me a beer or give me something of value will have their list signed.
Sure. I'll give you something of value... to me...
Old 1st July 2010, 03:26 PM   #21
hcmom
Tagger

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Or sgf8...

hcmom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 04:08 PM   #22
Yogzotot
Scholar

In theory I am in for the fun of it, but... I assume the DVD collection is Region 1? :-p
Old 1st July 2010, 05:01 PM   #23
saganite
Black-and-white Cat-foot

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
So we'll just change the rules to be the person with the most signatures wins.

One person will not be allowed to bollix it for everybody.
Those are already the rules, just to make sure people like Scrut can't RUIN EVERYONE'S FUN. It's whoever brings me all the sigs first, OR whoever has the most by the cut-off point, 10am Sunday.
Old 1st July 2010, 05:03 PM   #24
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
You may regret that!
LOL! You have an evil plan in mind to make me regret it?
Old 1st July 2010, 05:07 PM   #25
saganite
Black-and-white Cat-foot

Originally Posted by Yogzotot View Post
In theory I am in for the fun of it, but... I assume the DVD collection is Region 1? :-p
Unfortunately, yes. Although worst case scenario, you could always just auction it off online. Still a good prize.
Old 1st July 2010, 05:37 PM   #26
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Originally Posted by Cleon
And I will come in on the other end of the spectrum, since I couldn't even remember who xenxabar was last time.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 06:47 PM   #27
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, Saganite. Look at you organizing a TAM event.

*Sniff* You're all grown up.

Just so the contestants know, Scrut will sign anything as long as you are a woman.

Last edited by KingMerv00; 1st July 2010 at 06:48 PM.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 07:10 PM   #28
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post
Just so the contestants know, Scrut will sign anything as long as you are it is a woman.

ftfy.
Old 1st July 2010, 07:18 PM   #29
Allecher
Critical Thinker

Saganite - will Scrut's signature on my <ahem> arm count toward the contest?
Old 1st July 2010, 07:34 PM   #30
Dicon
is not a radish

I think extra points should be awarded if the forumite signed it while naked.
Dicon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 07:41 PM   #31
stephenenelson
Scholar

Additional incentive: those who find me get chocolate. While supplies last.
stephenenelson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2010, 07:51 PM   #32
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Originally Posted by stephenenelson View Post
Additional incentive: those who find me get chocolate. While supplies last.
Darn! If I had a car, I'd pick you up at the airport!

Oh, wait, that might be before the "official" start of the hunt...
Old 1st July 2010, 08:41 PM   #33
phyz
Muse

Originally Posted by KingMerv00 View Post
Scrut will sign anything as long as you are a woman.

Honestly, he's not even that picky. Even when he's sober.
phyz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2010, 06:32 AM   #34
bumlet5
Indescribable

You know, it might be interesting to have a prize for Most Signatures for a First TAMmer. Not sure how the details would be worked out, though...

Old 2nd July 2010, 06:46 AM   #35
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

I think we need another prize. Meeting everyone is one thing. Remembering who they are is quite another. Award a prize for being able to state everyone's real name given their forum names.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2010, 06:59 AM   #36
Doubt
Philosopher

I will do my best to make it a little harder by not having an avatar badge this year.

Or maybe I will sign my name as Scrut.
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:09 AM   #37
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
I think we need another prize. Meeting everyone is one thing. Remembering who they are is quite another. Award a prize for being able to state everyone's real name given their forum names.

~~ Paul
Does calling you "Paul A. Reallylongname" count?

I'm in. I'll even sign without bribes. I'm more of a eurogamer anymore, so winning alone isn't all that important to me...until the points are tallied.
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:14 AM   #38
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post

~~ Paul

If you call everyone you meet "Dave", you have a good chance of being correct.
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:24 AM   #39
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
That's right, Dave.
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:39 AM   #40
SkepticScott
TAM Volunteer Guy

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
TAM isn't Dave-Con, or so says the Dave Conspiracy.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events