IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:34 PM   #1
RSLancastr

Please read earlier posts tagged "JVPLand" before reading this one.

STOPJAMESVANPRAAGH ========== RSL IN JVPLAND: cHAPTER 7B: PINK PANTHER ANSWER? ==========

After about two weeks of waiting in vain for a reply from JVP to my "Pink Panther" email, I decided to ask the question in a more public manner. I figured that he would be more likely to at least give an answer which his supporters would buy, if it was asked in their view.

Also, many of the regular posters/chatters on his site say that they are mediums as well, so I figured some of them might take a swipe at answering it if he did not.

On June 20 2010 I created a message board topic there, titled "Pink Panther Question For Mediums."

I did not get a copy of it (for reasons explained below), but it was mostly a rehash of the email I had sent to JVP (minus some of the anger - I did not mention the coffee mug), ending with the following:

Quote:
Can someone explain to me how/why "real mediumship" would work this way:

Medium: [question]

Sitter: [answer]

Medium: Because he/she (the spirit) is telling me [same answer]
A couple of people replied. One complained that I was paraphrasing, not giving an actual transcript. It is a legitimate complaint, especially in light of the fact that I had often refused to answer questions about a reading withouta recording - or at least a transcript - of the reading. People would tell me about a reading they had received (from JVP or someone else) and ask me to explain how the medium had known this or that. I would explain that I couldn't come up with an intelligent answer without at least a transcript, because I have found that people usually don't remember the details which are a giveaway of cold reading. It's part of how/why cold reading "works." So, here I was, doing what I had complained of others doing. I acknowledged that paraphrasing was not the ideal, but that I had decided that it was acceptible here because I was asking about the concept rather than the specifics, and the concept was clear even without a verbatim transcript. My only other choice would have been to not ask the question at all, and I truly wanted an answer. I have since come up with transcripts of several other instances of JVP using this question/answer/repeat answer thing, such as of a reading he gave to an audience member on the tv show The Circle, which contained the following:

Quote:
JVP: Was your mother buried?

Woman: (nods "yes")

JVP: Because she's telling me she was buried.
Another person posted on the "Pink Panther Question for mediums" topic, saying that sometimes it is difficult to understand what a "spirit" is trying to say.

Before I could reply to that, JVP himself replied to the topic, saying the following:

Quote:

Posted on: Today at 04:24 PMPosted by: JVP
Insert Quote
“I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud.”
C. G. Jung

First off Robert, if I didn't know you better I would take your comments as a rude insult, but since you yourself admit you have limited experience with mediums and the process of mediumship....I take your comments as mere ignorance. I am not here to defend my work to you or anyone. I must tell you that when I do my work (as I have tried to explain to you) it is a different form of communication. I am communicating within the realm of another dimension....You cannot apply physical laws to another dimension, doesn't work. I can see how it might appear to a cynical eye that what I am doing is "cold reading", but I assure you I am not. When I have asked questions it is really to establish what I am hearing/thinking is being given to me outside myself and the person understands it. I have often said communicating at and receiving such high speed messages...I am lucky to be able to get anything I can understand. I would compare it to standing on the side of a freeway with cars going 60 MPH with some one shouting something out to me and I have to pickup exactly what they are trying to say. Over the years I have gotten much better at tuning into it. I often start my messages by giving the name of a person or the description of their home or the name of the doctor who worked on them. What would you call that? Mind reading? It might be hard for you to comprehend a different form of communication than we have in this dimension. Also, I still have NOT received any response from you regarding how I would know information regarding the logo on a dead boys shirt that he died in? Or the correct obscure design of a tatoo on a person rearend? I left this on a previous post....don't worry you don't have to answer, I am just pointing this out.

As said in the prior post anytime your are asked to investigate more you turn it down or don't even repond to the inquiry...Interview people who have had such detailed amazing readings there is no rational explanation but communication...why won't you do that before you attack me and my work? Yet you come back on this site spewing the same old tired skeptical arguments. There is nothing anyone can do to "closed minded skeptics" they have their point of view and that is that. Fine, so be it...but just don't spread your ignorance here attacking me, calling me a "cold reader" under the guise of "tryng to understand" I don't buy it anymore.

Over the last one hundred and fifty years psychic history has shown that there is a core group of critics who will not accept that psychic phenomena can exist. These closed-minded materialists apply a test that will guarantee the psychic phenomena being investigated will not be accepted under any circumstances.

The test, also called the 'I will not believe in the afterlife even if you can prove it to me’ test, is applied by those materialists working for the establishment who investigate psychic phenomena. As “investigators” they become the prosecutors, judge and jury who make sure that those who are producing genuine psychic phenomena are accused of fraud or cheating.

Nice to have met you, have a nice day.
If that last sentence wasn't clear enough, a couple of minutes later I received an automated email from the site. The subject was "Topic removed: Pink Panther Question for mediums" saying:

Quote:
A topic you are watching has been removed by CAMMY_WebAdmin.

Regards,
The JVP Message Board Team.
This was quickly followed by similar emails saying that other message board topics I had created over the past month were being removed.

":Have a nice day" indeed.

And thus ended my month-long visit to JVPLand.

I have popped in a few times since, and still receive emails from some of the regulars there, but... it's over. I will put some closing thoughts in an EPILOGUE, but the story is over.

Mod InfoThread closed; for continued discussion see: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=179581
Posted By:Locknar

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?

Last edited by Darat; 6th July 2010 at 05:10 AM.
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:45 PM   #2
RobertlewisIR
Student

It seems to me, especially now, that his facade of kindness was a well scripted and rehearsed performance; nothing more than a feeble attempt to spare himself from your criticism.

I've always found his character more likable than Browne or Edward, but it strikes me that this is simply a very well-used tool of a moderately clever con man. I don't think he has an ounce of sincerity left.
RobertlewisIR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:37 PM   #3
RSLancastr

Before all of this, I found his character to be more likeable than Browne's, but I would say the same of a gaboon viper.

RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:42 PM   #4
sadhatter
Philosopher

Wow, so his answer is " no i didn't" well that is enough for me. Why if he could find things as specific as an ass tattoo, could he not just relate some information to you that he could not possibly know without psychic ability
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:44 PM   #5
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
Before all of this, I found his character to be more likeable than Browne's, but I would say the same of a gaboon viper.
He was just a better businessman, he knew if he was nice there was a chance that you would feel like a jerk if you made the site. But, unfortunately when confronted with something he couldn't cover with his facade of being nice, he went into typical " your close minded" mode and used this as an excuse to not talk to you.

I wish i had the stones to call someone out when i was in a similar situation. WAy to go rob.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2010, 02:23 PM   #6
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster

Out of curiosity RSL, are you feeling better off for not going into the "enemy camp" now?
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2010, 03:57 PM   #7
RSLancastr

GMF: Not sure. I knda wish I had gone, but given how "ungentlrmanly" things gotat the end, Isorta wonder if it was best that I didn't go.

Old 3rd July 2010, 10:33 PM   #8
Empress
Piggish

Oh. Well. He's communicating in another dimension where people shout at him as they speed past on their way to exciting after-worldly events, making it hard for him to understand, as his ears are still stuck in our lowly dimension. It all makes sense now. However could we have doubted?

JVP's implications and accusations notwithstanding, I maintain that you have conducted yourself as the highest form of gentleman, Robert. I salute you, and have truly enjoyed the series. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Jonquill
Critical Thinker

I just wonder how someone could have described an inticate tatoo on their butt as they drove past at 60 miles an hour
Jonquill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:02 PM   #10
Empress
Piggish

Duh, they were mooning him. Be honest. Don't we all have that urge?
Old 4th July 2010, 01:16 AM   #11
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

GMF: Not sure. I knda wish I had gone, but given how "ungentlrmanly" things gotat the end, Isorta wonder if it was best that I didn't go.
At least you have a good story for your new website. "How this website nearly never got done."
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 02:10 AM   #12
skullerello
a force for cool

Robert, stick by your guns, and don't be juiced by the tactics of these slimey con-men. Regardless how smooth they dance.
Old 4th July 2010, 08:48 AM   #13
RSLancastr

Sticking, Skullerello!

Old 4th July 2010, 09:40 AM   #14
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

Quote:
Blah Blah Blah...your comments as mere ignorance. I am not here to defend my work to you or anyone...Blah Blah Blah...don't worry you don't have to answer, ...Blah Blah Blah...spewing the same old tired skeptical arguments... Blah Blah Blah...closed minded skeptics...Blah Blah Blah...there is a core group of critics who will not accept that psychic phenomena can exist. These closed-minded...Blah Blah Blah...make sure that those who are producing genuine psychic phenomena are accused of fraud or cheating.
Quote:
A topic you are watching has been removed by CAMMY_WebAdmin.

Regards,
The JVP Message Board Team.
It's funny isn't it. No matter who sings the tune, it is always the same.

Keep up the good awesome work, Robert!

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 09:42 AM   #15
bozman
Muse

I'm still not entirely sure what this is all about, but what about trying to stop Benny Hinn while you're at it?

I can't stand that sleaze ball.
bozman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 10:00 AM   #16
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster

Going by what JVP eventually mentioned regarding "how accurate he really is", I'm guessing that most likely he would have had stooges in the audience so that if you make a site about him, he can claim "but what about that time I showed you this and that..."

Either way, you can always go another time on your own.
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 12:13 PM   #17
RSLancastr

We'll see.

Old 4th July 2010, 12:27 PM   #18
steve s
Philosopher

Quote:
I am not here to defend my work to you or anyone.
Isn't he the one who said he wanted to explain the art of mediumship to you?

Quote:
I can see how it might appear to a cynical eye that what I am doing is "cold reading", but I assure you I am not.
How is what he's doing any different than cold reading? What he's doing is the very definition of cold reading.

Quote:
I would compare it to standing on the side of a freeway with cars going 60 MPH with some one shouting something out to me and I have to pickup exactly what they are trying to say.
If the child is showing him a Pink Panther, how is that like someone shouting as they speed by? Why does he say the woman's husband is saying "I'm her husband" if he's having trouble hearing what it is he's saying? Why doesn't he come right out and say "I'm having trouble hearing him, you're going to have to tell me a lot."

Quote:
Over the years I have gotten much better at tuning into it. I often start my messages by giving the name of a person or the description of their home...
A description of the home is pretty easy. When people send in for tickets, they probably give their name and address. A quick trip to Google Earth will show you what their house looks like. Here's mine. It's a modest suburban ranch-style house. It has a large tree in the backyard and another in the front. You can even see my red car. A medium could talk for five minutes with that much info about someone. "Do your neighbors invite you to go swimming in their pool?" "Oh, how could he have known my neighbors have a pool?"

Quote:
Also, I still have NOT received any response from you regarding how I would know information regarding the logo on a dead boys shirt that he died in? Or the correct obscure design of a tatoo on a person rearend?
The same way he "knew" about the Pink Panther.

JVP: Did she have any tattoos?

Person: Yes. She had a teddy bear tattoo on her rear.

JVP: I thought so, because I'm seeing a teddy bear tattoo on her rear.

Person: (Later) It was amazing! He knew she had a teddy bear tattoo on her rear.

Steve S

Last edited by steve s; 4th July 2010 at 12:37 PM.
steve s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2010, 12:37 PM   #19
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Isn't he the one who said he wanted to explain the art of mediumship to you?

How is what he's doing any different than cold reading? What he's doing is the very definition of cold reading.

If the child is showing him a Pink Panther, how is that like someone shouting as they speed by? Why does he say the woman's husband is saying "I'm her husband" if he's having trouble hearing what it is he's saying? Why doesn't he come right out and say "I'm having trouble hearing him, you're going to have to tell me a lot."

A description of the home is pretty easy. When people send in for tickets, they probably give their name and address. A quick trip to Google Earth will show you what their house looks like. Here's mine. It's a modest suburban ranch-style house. It has a large tree in the backyard and another in the front. You can even see my red car. A medium could talk for five minutes with that much info about someone. "Do your neighbors invite you to go swimming in their pool?" "Oh, how could he have known my neighbors have a pool?"

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0dfb53973a.jpg

JVP: Did she have any tattoos?

Person: Yes. She had a teddy bear tattoo on her rear.

JVP: I thought so, because I'm seeing a teddy bear tattoo on her rear.

Person: (Later) It was amazing! He knew she had a teddy bear tattoo on her rear.
Yes, I cover this and more (though not Google Earth - thanks for that - in my article where I respond to him.

Steve S[/quote]

Old 4th July 2010, 02:49 PM   #20
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

There's a close-up photo of my home on Google Earth taken from just across the street. It would be the simplest thing in the world for a "medium" with access to my address to tell me that my house has a porch, a blue front door and a window box. Honestly, the internet has made life so easy for these parasites...
Old 4th July 2010, 03:40 PM   #21
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Alice Shortcake View Post
There's a close-up photo of my home on Google Earth taken from just across the street. It would be the simplest thing in the world for a "medium" with access to my address to tell me that my house has a porch, a blue front door and a window box. Honestly, the internet has made life so easy for these parasites...
That's not even half of it. With an internet connection, you can instantly make a public records check and pull your birth records, marriage records etc.

Not to mention access to people's facebook accounts etc.

The amount of information one could obtain is astounding. With face recognition software getting better and better every day, I'm only pondering how long will it take for techno-psychic to take the game.
Old 4th July 2010, 04:10 PM   #22
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by bozman View Post
I'm still not entirely sure what this is all about,
Bozman, did you ever do as I suggested (both in an earlier post and at the top of EVERY chapter) and read the earlier chapters? That would tell you "what this is all about."
Quote:
but what about trying to stop Benny Hinn while you're at it?I can't stand that sleaze ball.
As I have said in these forums many times, and discussed in "Chapter 0: Prologue" of the JVPLand threads, I created the opening page for just such a site (www.StopBennyHinn.com) back in 2007. I hope to get back to it soon, along with four others I created at the same time.

When I do, I will announce it in this forum.

RSL

Old 4th July 2010, 06:43 PM   #23
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, yes:
Quote:
Over the last one hundred and fifty years psychic history has shown that there is a core group of critics who will not accept that psychic phenomena can exist.
and these people are called scientists. You know the guys and gals that make it possible for you to live in the 21st Century World with the rest of us.

Old 4th July 2010, 07:16 PM   #24
shandyjan
Master Poster

Ah, so the gloves came off, and all because you asked a simple question, that he knows most of us can see and would have liked to ask a psychic ourselves? (thats what I shouted at the tv when I last watched both him and John Edward) Because he cannot really answer that one honestly without proving he's a con.
I was wondering why he would be so nice, after reading the StopSylvia, maybe googling you. Then I had the thought, money and fame are the true gods. Just maybe with knowing your positin and the problems the stroke caused for you and Susan, he may have been wanting you on his team, and end to both yours and his problems? (A fairly big gain for him to have you debunk Sylvia, and proclaim him above tricks)
Just one of many thoughts crossing my mind!
Old 4th July 2010, 08:23 PM   #25
RSLancastr

Interesting take on it, Shandy!

Old 5th July 2010, 10:15 AM   #27
RSLancastr

Thanks, Aepervius!

I wish I could edit the OP to add that at the top - sort of a table of contents!

Old 5th July 2010, 06:08 PM   #28
Susan Gerbic
Graduate Poster

Awesome Work Robert! I'm almost done with all the threads in this series but wanted to comment on why he says what he says every time.

I think that JVP has gotten into a rhythm with his shtick. Much the same as all the magicians I have watched the last year (hanging out with Mark Edward has taught me a LOT about that world). These people say the same thing over and over and over again. It WORKS and it is SMOOTH.

I bet by this time JVP couldn't NOT say "because he is showing me (blank)" if he tried."
Old 5th July 2010, 06:50 PM   #29
RSLancastr

Good point!

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal