ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd August 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

528 lb woman gives birth than dies of heart attack

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35458030..._and_parenting

This woman gave birth to a baby girl. She was 528 lbs and a few days later she got a fever and died of a heart attack. The father weighs 154 lbs.
Old 2nd August 2010, 01:25 PM   #2
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Dang, that's a lot of weight to gain during pregnancy!
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:31 PM   #3
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35458030..._and_parenting

This woman gave birth to a baby girl. She was 528 lbs and a few days later she got a fever and died of a heart attack. The father weighs 154 lbs.
The father weighed 154 lbs, or the baby did?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Damn, poor widower may have to come to the US to find another 500lb woman.

If he's reading this, I recommend he frequent IHOPs if he comes to the US.
Old 2nd August 2010, 03:00 PM   #5
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

OP fail: the mother died five months after giving birth.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_666992.html
Old 2nd August 2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post

Sorry
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:03 PM   #7
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------

So, let's make sure I get this. This woman had a 500lb baby girl which died soon after being born. Said baby had a skinny old, chubby chasing Daddy. Oh! Really this 500lb girl died 5mths after. Yes, did I gettit?

ETA: Note to self: Read links before you post.
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)

Last edited by welshdean; 2nd August 2010 at 04:07 PM.
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Quote:
BUCHAREST, Romania — A 25-year-old woman weighing 528 pounds (240 kilograms) gave birth to her first baby on Thursday at a hospital equipped to treat obese people.
One doesn't normally think of Romania as being a place that would need a hospital specifically equipped to treat obese people.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:38 PM   #9
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post

So she gave birth then died of a heart attack. Just like the OP said.

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Polaris
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
One doesn't normally think of Romania as being a place that would need a hospital specifically equipped to treat obese people.
A summary of my last few seconds of thought: "please let her not be from Texas, please let her not be from Texas, please let her not be from...oh thank Christ!"
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:38 PM   #11
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Damn, poor widower may have to come to the US to find another 500lb woman.
WTF? See what Mycroft noted in #8. You think the US has an exclusive on fat?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:39 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

You don't necessarily need a special hospital wing or anything, just a large bed or surgical table.

Quote:
.....spokesman at Bucharest University Emergency Hospital.

Lacatus was admitted there from her village in southern Romania because the local hospital did not have any beds that could bear her weight,....
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:33 AM   #13
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------

Wink

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You don't necessarily need a special hospital wing or anything, just a large bed or surgical table.
My bolding

Hmmm, I think at 520+lbs they may have been better suited putting her in a hanger!

Quote:
Originally posted by SezMe
WTF? See what Mycroft noted in #8. You think the US has an exclusive on fat?
Not an 'exclusive on fat' but certainly leading the world.
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:19 AM   #14
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Why? You need special equipment do deal with the morbidly obese like her. Unless it surprises you that Romania would have anyone at the 500 lbs weight, there is nothing remarkable then.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:51 AM   #15
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
You're right. But that still does not justify WildCat's post.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 05:18 AM   #16
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
You're right. But that still does not justify WildCat's post.
Yes it does! USA #1!!1!!!11!!1!
Old 3rd August 2010, 05:29 AM   #17
Nosi
Master Poster

The article mentioned she had a thyroid problem. Untreated thyroid problems can cause major issues.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 05:32 AM   #18
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You don't necessarily need a special hospital wing
No, just a hospital wing of her own.
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:46 AM   #19
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
We're #1!!! We're #1!!!!

Old 3rd August 2010, 08:22 AM   #20
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Quote:
BUCHAREST, Romania A 25-year-old woman weighing 528 pounds (240 kilograms) gave birth to her first baby on Thursday at a hospital equipped to treat obese people.
Did she give birth to additional babies later?
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:26 AM   #21
paximperium
Penultimate Amazing

I find it very distasteful that people consider jokes about the morbidly obese to be funny or even appropriate especially in a case where someone actually died.
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:31 AM   #22
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by paximperium View Post
I find it very distasteful that people consider jokes about the morbidly obese to be funny or even appropriate especially in a case where someone actually died.
I do too.

Old 3rd August 2010, 10:37 AM   #23
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
So she gave birth then died of a heart attack. Just like the OP said.
For long enough values of "then", it is actually quite common.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events