ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th August 2010, 11:35 PM   #1
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker

Wink Precognitive Dream Research

This is a template for an experiment for precognitive dreaming. You can participate in this experiment if you desire. You must provide a plain-text ASCII file, this can be hosted at google docs. You must include the date and time that the article was written within the MD5 tags. This is to eliminate tampering of the original file. Once submitted the file must not be tampered with or changed in any way. You can e-mail the file to ianwilson27@hotmail.com if you wish to participate.

You must attempt to record video, capture images or audio at the time that you think a dream is coming true. That must be submitted along with the text-file that you believe links up to the dream and images.

The new format will be in plain text as follows:

<-- START MD5 ENCRYPTION -->
All HTML Tags must be stripped from this text. Encoded in ASCII.

[Header]
Date:
Time:
Author: Ian Andrew Wilson
E-mail: ianwilson27@hotmail.com
Blog: you-are-dreaming.blogspot.com
Copyright: Public Domain by author 2010. Free for public use.

[Disclaimer]
This is an ongoing personal investigation into precognitive dream potential. In no way is the information contained in this article claiming to be psychic or precognitive in nature. Not all textual translations of a dream can clearly depict the vast dream imagery and symbolism and what may be condensed down to a line of text could represent a largely descriptive visual dream environment. Low-order spelling and grammatical errors are expected as the material is written quickly and right after waking up from sleep. This text shall remain unchanged from the time it was posted, and should rehash into the MD5 code outside of the MD5 tags. In the future should any of the dream context match a real-life event the author will attempt to capture images or articles and describe how these events interconnect with the context within the dream.

All persons, characters and events contained in this article are as they appeared from within a dream, any similarities to public officials or people is completely coincidence and is not meant to reflect this person or persons in any way.

[Journal Entry]

Dream X:

Codes:
TTB: Time-To-Bed: The time the author went to bed.
TA: Time-Awake: The time the author woke up.
T2S: Time-To-Sleep: Estimated time it took to fall asleep.
TTS: Total-Time-Slept: Estimated time of sleep.
ETID: Estimated-Time-In-Dream: Estimated sense of time as it passed in the dream.

<-- END MD5 ENCRYPTION -->

MD5 Checksum: a4404c7cb3294467da7efb3504e4a794
Encrypted online at: http://md5-hash-online.waraxe.us/

Download Plain-text Version: http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9w6...ZjE4ZmYz&hl=en

If you Copy the body from the start and end of the MD5 tags and paste it into a MD5 checksum converter it should match the checksum listed at the end.
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Zep
Banned

Question: Who actually judges, decides if any one "dream is coming true"?
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Aitch

Why should a dream coming true implie precognition?

Why can't it be your brain processing information it has (but you do not necessarily know you have) and building on that?

Or, if you'd prefer a smart-arse one-liner:

My mum dreamed she was going to have a baby; and four weeks later, she did!
Aitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

In order to determine whether dreams come true more often than would be expected by chance (which I presume is the intent) it is necessary first to establish what that chance rate is, and then to establish whether or not it is exceeded. Collecting this data may be an interesting exercise, but it goes no way towards meeting either of these objectives.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 03:30 AM   #5
Ririon
Cool cat

This seems like a way of collecting anecdotes.

Since the OP is quite new here, they have probably only heard it a few times: "The plural of anecdote is not data."
Old 16th August 2010, 03:43 AM   #6
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Not an entirely big deal but do the words "please" and "thank you" have any meaning to you YAD?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 03:49 AM   #7
leon_heller
Graduate Poster

I don't see how it can be described as an experiment!

Last edited by leon_heller; 16th August 2010 at 03:58 AM.
leon_heller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 05:24 AM   #8
fagin
Illuminator

From the OP's blog:

"In 1998, I published a free online course entitled, "A Course on Consciousness" which was a very basic entry level look into some of the concepts that I cover in my Blog. 12 years later, with a broader interest in quantum mechanics, philosophy and rekindled passion for dreaming, I have been inspired to advance forward some of the concepts covered in my out-dated course and work on a new book."

Quantum mechanics - must be scientific.
Old 16th August 2010, 05:36 AM   #9
Drewbot
Philosopher

I video taped myself catching a big fish, the night before, I dreamed I caught a big fish.

I catch large fish almost every day when I am staying up at the lake, I also dream regularly about catching large fish when sleeping at my lake house. Does this qualify?

The dream was all about me fishing, and catching a big Smallie, there was weird dream stuff happening during the dream too. I think I got laid in the dream as well, but that part didn't happen the next day.

Last edited by Drewbot; 16th August 2010 at 05:38 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 09:43 AM   #10
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker

Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to any suggestions to improve controls. I realize that we technologically lack the means (although it's coming) to make objective personal experiences such as dreams. Research at the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International, in Kyoto, Japan may be the solution to the subjective argument.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28286263/

This limit within accessing how people interpret sensory data and convert it into an experience such as Qualia and the hard problem of consciousness may finally be resolved scientifically. As for precognitive events through dreaming more compelling research and evidence may arise as we break through the subjective barriers of the mind and unlock through biofeedback, image reconstruction and mind reading more coherent evidence.

For now, this is a start with the technology of today. It may or may not provide anything compelling. I am positive you will be the best critics and advisers to improve on the controls as well as results if any. I look forward to your participation.

Date: August 16th, 2010
Time: 9:40am

[Journal Entry]

Dream 1:
The first dream I had was regarding this experiment. I was reading forum posts related to this subject. I was receiving some interest in the experimentation. There was some skepticism regarding the experiment which I was responding too, it seemed that the MD5 part of the experiment was likable but other conditions were not. I remember commenting on photographs, video and potentially other articles added in the future might be more compelling if patterns seemed to fit was past linked to a textual metaphor in the past.

In one case, there was a lady who was talking about how this happens to her and her family. She was interested in participating. I was flipping through a few forums looking for more interest in participation.

Edited by LashL:  Snipped for compliance with Rule 4. Do not post lengthy cut & pastes of articles that are available elsewhere. Instead, just post a short quote and a link to the article.

*Just a note, the Under crew were all people I have never met or seen before, I tried googling to see if there is a band called under, but found none as that title. It clearly was under written in text and we were calling her that name in the dream. Kind of a lame name for a band if you ask me. Funny how dreams can create such elaborate and detailed phanerons.

Download Plain-text Version: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9w...YTU4OGEy&hl=en

Last edited by LashL; 1st September 2010 at 09:32 AM.
YouAreDreaming is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

mtfl:dr
Old 16th August 2010, 12:08 PM   #12
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

IA:mtflfmt
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 12:14 PM   #13
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

I have a theory that it is the PURPOSE of dreams to tell the future. More accurately, it is the purpose to generate scenarios of what MIGHT happen to us in the future, so we can be prepared mentally if it actually occurs.

This becomes less and less relevant as we get older, which is why we do most of our dreaming when we are children.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 12:24 PM   #14
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
Dream 1:
This occurred early in the sleep cycle, when dreams are composed mainly of memories and are usually not very interesting.

Quote:
Dream 2:
Ditto.

Quote:
Dream 3
This occurred during REM sleep, when the limbic system is activated and feelings of frustration, anger, and or fear are being generated.

Quote:
Dream 4
REM sleep. Episodic memory becomes partially de-activated, causing confusion over past events.

Quote:
Dream 5
Also REM sleep. The cognitive centers of the brain are partially de-activated during this time, explaining some of the surreal imagery.

The physiology behind these types of dreams are fairly well understood. As I mentioned earlier, it's possible that the brain is attempting to generate novel scenarios so we can be prepared for the unexpected, should it happen in waking life.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 12:38 PM   #15
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I am looking forward to any suggestions to improve controls.
Perhaps you could start by telling us what controls you are proposing, then we can suggest how to improve them.

I must admit I'm stumped as to how to even begin to implement controls for something like this.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 12:49 PM   #16
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker

Thanks aggle-rithm,

I appreciate the more technical feedback. In sleep research there are 5 stages of sleep one REM and 4 NREM. As you are describing, certain dreams should reflect certain changes within our neurology.

Memory becomes the major victim in dreaming due to the fact we have shutdown of the frontal temporal lobes causing a form of sleep induced amnesia. This is further evident in the experience itself when we simply are not able to remember waking life context in some stages of sleep.

For example, I have observed myself wandering in a dream unable to remember who I was or where I was, only that I was engaging a type of sensory experience and reacting to the data.

Having practice lucid dreaming for the last 23 years again neurology seems to affect that state as well, for example the logical and linear critical thinking part of left-brain function seems to fluctuate causing a gradient of self-awareness within a lucid dream.

One can go from being totally awake within the dream and as this slips the clarity of coherent thought degrades back to incoherent thought and more abstract symbolism emerges.

I am not sure if you ever heard of Dr. Jill Taylor, a neurologist who suffered a stroke that acutely affected left-brain function. Might of her descriptions relate to dreaming in that this occurs naturally depending on how brain function is active or deactivated during sleep.

In lucid dreaming this is always the case. The all important left-brain function is the key ingredient to making incoherent noise behave in a more coherent and logical way. At least when I can maintain a balance where I feel fully awake in the dream; I can then at least ask questions, read and mimic normal waking life activities with more clarity and recall when I wake up.

A fascinating personal study from within the subjective phaneron of a dreamworld to see in action how brain activity is clearly tossing and turning the perceptions within the dream.

I'm eagerly awaiting the technological bridge to when we can finally render visual cortex information on to an objective screen and potentially record dreams.

Just the potential for new art-forms, hypnogogic imagery and dream-scapes alone will be stunning if this is a perfected technology. The imagery in dreams can rival Lucas Film special effects and all the splendor of the greatest works of digital artists. Hopefully it happens in my lifetime.

Thanks for your contributions.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:54 PM   #17
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

I'm eagerly awaiting the technological bridge to when we can finally render visual cortex information on to an objective screen and potentially record dreams.

Just the potential for new art-forms, hypnogogic imagery and dream-scapes alone will be stunning if this is a perfected technology.
Don't forget the potential for epic embarrassment.

Old 16th August 2010, 01:13 PM   #18
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Perhaps you could start by telling us what controls you are proposing, then we can suggest how to improve them.

I must admit I'm stumped as to how to even begin to implement controls for something like this.
You and me both to be honest. This isn't going to be an easy road to travel in the least. The easy part of the control is the introduction of a MD5 hash to prevent a person from going back and changing content to match a potential future pattern or outcome.

That at least releases the argument that it is tampered with because all of us can test the HASH against the content if we suspect tampering. I feel that is a good start in control.

Now the second problem is verification of an event? We are dealing with a subjective argument where controllers involved may or may not be in the particular local when a presumed event synchronizes with dream data. This is the hardest part of verification because again the nature of the experience has randomness to it.

The only control at this point with current technology has to be video, camera and audio to a degree. One would have to start to take images and verify date and time when the media was taken. Which presents the next problem with tampering.

We would be left with a textual representation of what was once a very vibrant and visual dream context that needs to match now a vibrant and clear photograph or video... lost in translation comes to mind here hence the urgent need to render visual cortex data during REM if we have breakthroughs in cognitive image reconstruction.

No matter how the cards fall on the table it will be always open to uncertainty and this is part of the paradox of non-linear and non-local experiences. It causes a causality paradox for measurement and we simply are not technologically advanced enough to observe what "could" naturally exist in quantum states of entanglement and superposition as probability and information.

Much of what I have experienced in these micro-pockets of precognition suggest non-linear and non-locality is at work, potentially a not yet understood "spooky action at a distance" and could well just be entanglement and superposition at work here.

If we bridge the subjective argument gap and manage to accumulate a more convincing body of evidence, however that is achieved. It might benefit a new branch of physics that addresses non-linear and non-local information within probability.

This is a first attempt at trying to make more coherent approaches to making objective a subjective experience. I have no doubts it will be a rough journey however I am sincere about this paradox of precognition.

I feel that deja vu is related at the surface level of people who have little dream recall and more amnesia during sleep. Deja reve is the next step where more active memory of dreams provides a subjective link to the source of the deja.

This is where precognitive elements and non-linear context becomes apparent. At least people having these more memory valid deja experiences can at least have a personal insight and may share in my interest.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Old 16th August 2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I meant these kind of controls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_control

You need controls to ensure that any apparent correlation between dreams and later events is not due to other factors (e.g. coincidence or the kind of unconscious processing Aitch referred to back in post #3) beside the one you're trying to establish the existence of (precognition). I see no obvious way of creating a control group with whose accuracy to compare the accuracy of your precognitive dreamers.

Last edited by Pixel42; 16th August 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 16th August 2010, 02:53 PM   #20
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
I once had a dream that I was 89. I remember because someone specifically said "Don't make him get up, he's 89 years old." I got up anyway.

I'll get back to you on whether it came true in 43 years or so.
Old 16th August 2010, 03:13 PM   #21
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

...No matter how the cards fall on the table it will be always open to uncertainty and this is part of the paradox of non-linear and non-local experiences. It causes a causality paradox for measurement and we simply are not technologically advanced enough to observe what "could" naturally exist in quantum states of entanglement and superposition as probability and information.

Much of what I have experienced in these micro-pockets of precognition suggest non-linear and non-locality is at work, potentially a not yet understood "spooky action at a distance" and could well just be entanglement and superposition at work here.

If we bridge the subjective argument gap and manage to accumulate a more convincing body of evidence, however that is achieved. It might benefit a new branch of physics that addresses non-linear and non-local information within probability.

This is a first attempt at trying to make more coherent approaches to making objective a subjective experience. I have no doubts it will be a rough journey however I am sincere about this paradox of precognition.

I feel that deja vu is related at the surface level of people who have little dream recall and more amnesia during sleep. Deja reve is the next step where more active memory of dreams provides a subjective link to the source of the deja.

This is where precognitive elements and non-linear context becomes apparent. At least people having these more memory valid deja experiences can at least have a personal insight and may share in my interest.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
OK. Stop talking nonsense.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 03:49 PM   #22
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Now the second problem is verification of an event? We are dealing with a subjective argument where controllers involved may or may not be in the particular local when a presumed event synchronizes with dream data. This is the hardest part of verification because again the nature of the experience has randomness to it.

The only control at this point with current technology has to be video, camera and audio to a degree. One would have to start to take images and verify date and time when the media was taken. Which presents the next problem with tampering.
Are you suggesting that the dreams will make clear, unambiguous predictions about future events, such that they can be matched up 1:1 with the video, camera, and audio records?

Or, will there be interpretations involved?

If the latter, then controls are useless. It would be like putting a padlock on the front door and leaving the windows wide open.

Old 16th August 2010, 05:21 PM   #23
Zep
Banned

I rarely quote myself, but here is post #2 in this thread.
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Question: Who actually judges, decides if any one "dream is coming true"?
It goes to the questions of accuracy and controls, and is basic.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2010, 07:38 PM   #24
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

What's to stop me from reporting a fake dream per day, and then realizing them in real life, thus claiming a successful precognition? How do you know that the reported dreams are genuine?
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2010, 12:14 AM   #25
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I suspect YouAreDreaming still has no real conception of the magnitude and complexity of the task they have set themselves. Perhaps I could use a simpler example to give them a better idea.

There are numerous self-described psychics who claim to be able to predict future news events. Many make a set of predictions (earthquakes, famous deaths etc) at the beginning of each year, and then point to those that come true as proof of their precognitive ability. But is it?

Say one predicts that there will be an earthquake in Chile, and sure enough there is. Does that really prove that the psychic can predict the future? Well for one thing earthquakes in Chile happen quite often, so it could just be a coincidence. For another this particular psychic might well have been predicting this for the last ten years, knowing it was bound to come true eventually. Then when it does come true they draw attention to it whilst quietly forgetting all the previous years it didn't come true, not to mention the other dozen predictions they made for the year which also didn't come true.

So how do you go about establishing whether these psychics really do have precognitive powers? One way would be to select a particular type of prediction (earthquakes would be fine) and record every single such prediction a bunch of them make. A points system is set up where they get maximum points if a prediction is completely accurate (right country, month and magnitude) and lesser points for lesser accuracy, e.g. for right continent but wrong country. Negative points are awarded for predictions which don't come true at all, and unpredicted earthquakes.

In parallel a control group of seismologists are recruited, who also make predictions at the start of each year but based on their expertise. They are also awarded points for accuracy.

After, say, five years, average accuracy points are calculated for the two groups. I would expect the seismologists score to be strongly negative, as it's still very difficult to predict when and where earthquakes will occur with any accuracy. This score is the baseline, the best that can be acheived with intelligent guesswork.

If the psychics have any genuine precognitive ability at all then I would expect them to beat the baseline score. Note their score might also be negative, but it should still be significantly better than the control group's. If it isn't, it suggests that they are simply making random guesses and cherry picking the lucky ones to maintain their credibility.

Now try to come up with a similar protocol to assess the accuracy of precognitive dreams. It's obviously going to be much harder. The dreams recorded by YouAreDreaming's scheme are self-selected and hence not representative of all such dreams. They could be about anything at all so it would be difficult to set up a control group making intelligent guesses that could be compared with them, and even more difficult to assess them for accuracy using the consistent rules possible in the above example.

I'm not saying you should give up, YouAreDreaming, there are plenty of cleverer people than me here who might be able to help you design a workable test protocol which would produce meaningful results. But I'm afraid I can't currently see one myself.

Last edited by Pixel42; 17th August 2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 17th August 2010, 05:00 AM   #26
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
What's to stop me from reporting a fake dream per day, and then realizing them in real life, thus claiming a successful precognition? How do you know that the reported dreams are genuine?
My wife once said, "I had the weirdest dream last night. I dreamed I was in the grocery store, and I was wandering around and couldn't decide what to buy. It was so weird."

I told her it doesn't really qualify as weird if it happens to her in real life every week.

Old 17th August 2010, 05:04 AM   #27
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

I have no idea why anyone, in this day and age, would think that dreams tell the future. In ancient times, when there were few explanations for how the world worked, I can understand that an experience that seemed so meaningful and significant must point to something important on the horizon. Today, we understand the mechanisms behind the brain in general and dreams in particular so well, that it's hard to understand why anyone would invoke magic in this context.

Old 17th August 2010, 05:33 AM   #28
Drewbot
Philosopher

Dreams are not predictive.

Someone about to go on a flight tomorrow, will likely have dreams about planes, many of those people will have dreams about a plane crash. Only 1 in 1000000 flights will crash, but they always find the people that had a dream about a plane crash from THAT 1 flight, or that missed that flight, and claim they saw the future.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2010, 05:42 AM   #29
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Last night, I dreamed that the local Catholic church (which I attended as a child) collapsed in utter ruin.
Now this was a very specific church, as I was dreaming the events took place at my house.
(even though you can't really see the thing from there...)
So....If the thing comes tumbling down in the near future...
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2010, 05:56 AM   #30
Ririon
Cool cat

A good starting point could be this question:

What kind of common dreams are there which predict specific outcomes in the near future? The dream prediction can not be open to interpretation and can not be made to happen in real life by the dreamer.

Good example: If people commonly dream about specific sports games. Say a sports fan dreams about the next match (including the result) for most matches played by his favorite team. In such a case, you could match him against a small team of professionals (people who set the odds of the games, this is public information, so they need not be involved personally). If he did significantly better than them over time, we might have something.

Bad example: My dream involved water and then my uncle drowned two months later! (The police never suspected me...)
Old 17th August 2010, 06:14 AM   #31
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Ririon View Post
Good example: If people commonly dream about specific sports games. Say a sports fan dreams about the next match (including the result) for most matches played by his favorite team. In such a case, you could match him against a small team of professionals (people who set the odds of the games, this is public information, so they need not be involved personally). If he did significantly better than them over time, we might have something.
Say you dream about an upcoming baseball game, only Troy Aikman has come out of retirement to play first base, and the entire field is covered in jello, and the crowd is actually the Senate from the Star Wars prequels, and everyone on the field is in drag.

Even if the score were accurate, could it really be considered an accurate prediction?

Old 17th August 2010, 06:27 AM   #32
SnakeTongue
Graduate Poster

Lightbulb Dream Dialogue

- It is possible a dream to become reality? If this happen, it is not a form of precognition?
- The answer of the first question flush the second.
- Which is?
- How can be possible a dream become reality if is already part of this same reality?
- How? The dream is not just dreams?
- Yes, but how much far is the dreams away from what we share as 'reality'?
- Well, happens when you are sleep, not awake.
- Of course, but even when you sleep, you still are in this reality, or the dreams happen in our reality, correct?
- Yes.. But I the dreams impossible things can happen.
- But still, when you remember a dream, your remember in our reality? You even can describe the dream using elements of our reality. So, how much a dream have to become true or genuine to be part of reality, if never was outside this reality before?
- So, it is no chance to predict event futures by dreaming that events before to happen?
- I would rather to say that no one can predict a course of events which already happen in your dream. It is like to predict the past...
SnakeTongue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2010, 06:37 AM   #33
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SnakeTongue View Post
- It is possible a dream to become reality? If this happen, it is not a form of precognition?
<SNIP>- I would rather to say that no one can predict a course of events which already happen in your dream. It is like to predict the past...
I think what he is saying is this:

(Secretly plotting): I am going to skip work tomorrow,
I will now write down that I dreamt that I would skip work tomorrow
I will now skip work and say that my dream came true.

or

(Secretly plotting): I am low on gas, if I drive to work tomorrow I will run out of gas.
I will now write down that I dreamt that I would run out of gas on the way to work.
I run out of gas on the way to work.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:25 AM   #34
SnakeTongue
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I think what he is saying is this:

(Secretly plotting): I am going to skip work tomorrow,
I will now write down that I dreamt that I would skip work tomorrow
I will now skip work and say that my dream came true.

or

(Secretly plotting): I am low on gas, if I drive to work tomorrow I will run out of gas.
I will now write down that I dreamt that I would run out of gas on the way to work.
I run out of gas on the way to work.
- I had a dream yesterday, and was about something I did today!
- What?
- In the dream someone told me that to be careful when going to the supermarket. Well, in my way I to the supermarket today I came to almost crash my car. I was waiting to turn into a double way when this really huge truck came from nowhere. I was looking to another side when I take the decision to turn in, when I remembered the dream. Enough seconds to me look to another side and break before the truck hit my car.
- So you really had a dream which gave you an alert of a future event...
- Yes, this is not exciting?
- No, I think not...
- Why?
- Because this remember old grammy always shouting before I leave home to school: "Look at both sides when crossing the streets!"...
- So?
- As you can understand, my grammy was good in predict future events, so good that she did everyday and did not have to sleep!
SnakeTongue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2010, 07:29 AM   #35
Drewbot
Philosopher

The test doesn't allow for people who are actively trying to fool the system.

You could know an outcome, pretend you dreamt it, and claim precognitive abilities.

No one can verify whether you actually dreamt it.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:50 AM   #36
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
The test doesn't allow for people who are actively trying to fool the system.

You could know an outcome, pretend you dreamt it, and claim precognitive abilities.

No one can verify whether you actually dreamt it.
Yes! For instance, I dreamed I made a rather terse post in a thread, and Drewbot understood my meaning perfectly. Then, lo and behold, a couple days later...
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2010, 08:10 AM   #37
Drewbot
Philosopher

Yes! For instance, I dreamed I made a rather terse post in a thread, and Drewbot understood my meaning perfectly. Then, lo and behold, a couple days later...
That's ironic.
I had a dream that someone would not understand one of your clearly written posts, I would translate it for that person, that person would still not get it, I would dumb it down another level, and the dream ended with you saying that you dreamt all this was going to happen...
Old 17th August 2010, 08:12 AM   #38
Ririon
Cool cat

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
Say you dream about an upcoming baseball game, only Troy Aikman has come out of retirement to play first base, and the entire field is covered in jello, and the crowd is actually the Senate from the Star Wars prequels, and everyone on the field is in drag.

Even if the score were accurate, could it really be considered an accurate prediction?
If it worked every game? Sure.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:17 AM   #39
YouAreDreaming
Critical Thinker

Date: August 17th, 2010
Time: 6:07am

[Journal Entry]

Dream 1:
I'm busy with work so went to bed at 2:30am. Falling asleep, I find myself instantly in front of my computers resuming work. I'm awake and very lucid that I am back working and start to think that it's odd that I am on my computer working again. Uncertain of how I thought that I went to bed and was actually still working created some interesting inner debate. Eventually to prove that I was not indeed working I woke myself up and proved that I was already in bed.

Dream 2:
When I fall asleep again, I have a dream that seems to be just continuing skeptical debate about precognition and non-locality. This time it's not on the computer but rather talking with someone I know. There is a lot of context here but on waking suddenly again due to the baby I'm suffering from a type of memory collapse. Have to get a better control on the dream enviroment for the experiment. Always circumstances interfering.

Edited by LashL:  Snipped for compliance with Rule 4. Do not post lengthy cut & pastes of articles that are available elsewhere. Instead, just post a short quote and a link to the article.

Download Plain-text Version: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9w...ut=list&num=50

Last edited by LashL; 1st September 2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:24 AM   #40
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

(stunningly uninteresting dreams snipped)
Nothing in these dreams would surprise me if they really happened. Its the sort of thing that happens to people all the time.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal