IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th August 2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Arus808
Philosopher

Las Vegas man sues for $38 QUADrillion

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...b09c17782.html

Quote:
A Las Vegas man has filed a $38 quadrillion complaint against an Alpine attorney.

John Theodore Anderson, also known as John-Theodore:Anderson in his filings, claims attorneys Douglas Shumway, Benjamin Schramm and Michael Van fraudulently served him with a lawsuit, according to court records.

The dispute stems from a complaint Anderson originally filed against clients of the law firm of Shumway, Van and Hansen for $918 billion. Shumway said his client, Private Capital Group et al, came into possession of mining property in Southern Utah recently after the original owner of the mine defaulted on a loan. The capital group then tried to sell the property, and Anderson put a $918 billion lien on it. In response, Shumway filed a lawsuit for $10,000 in damages to remove the lien, because he said the property cannot be sold with a cloud on the title.
WTF???

To be honest I think the guy that is suing is one of the Sovereign Citizen conpsiracists.

Quote:
also known as John-Theodore:Anderson

“Life may begin at 30, but it doesn’t get real interesting until about 150.”
“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

Last edited by Arus808; 24th August 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Arus808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2010, 04:28 AM   #2
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Quote:
He[Anderson] said he was paid $500 when he signed the contract, but did not get the $4,000 monthly payments that were promised him over 16 months of work.
Um, so he continued to work for 16 months, despite not being paid?

Originally Posted by Anderson
... AND THEY KNOW IT
Looks like he's been taking legal advice from Mr George Simpson.
Old 25th August 2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Ya know, I remember the days when $918 billion was an amount to be concerned about. Now we're heaving almost 2x that onto the debt every year.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Ya know, I remember the days when $918 billion was an amount to be concerned about. Now we're heaving almost 2x that onto the debt every year.
With apologies to Everet Dirkson - a trillion here, a trillion there and pretty soon you are talking about real money

Yes, I know if probably didn't say these exact words.
Old 25th August 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Skeptic
Banned

When the lower court rejects the claim, no doubt this "sovereign citizen" will ask the supreme court to issue a writ of mandamus to the lower court forcing them to pay him the $38 Quadrillion because the lower court got it all wrong.

In those who bemusingly follow the "sovereign citizens"' fight with the courts, such writs, when demanded in such circumstances, are known as a "writ of mandumbass", since filing the request that the court issue one is good evidence that that's what you are, in case it wasn't clear before.

Could be worse, however. The greatest lawsuit ever is by a certain Mr. David Merrill, who sued Jesus Christ on behalf of his motor scooter.

He defended his sanity by claiming (in a thread on the Quatloos! blog I cannot find right now) that he has no idea why everybody's laughing at him -- he wasn't suing that Jesus Christ, but some mysterious person that appeared to him and claimed to be Jesus Christ.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Zep
Banned

918 quadrillion dollars, eh? Given that it is a very low probability he can demonstrate how he got to that number, I would tend to suspect he is actually a-numeric. That or he is barely 5 years old and it's the biggest number EVAR! Both possibilities suggest he needs to be taken into wardship of the state...
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2010, 11:47 PM   #7
bozman
Muse

The ridiculous amount he's suing for sounds like something Dr. Evil would say in "Austin Powers."
bozman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

"Your Honor, my client, John Theodore Anderson, is merely asking for a settlement of a GaBaJillion dollars!"
Moon-Spinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2010, 12:55 AM   #9
Zep
Banned

I'm wondering if his lawyer is on a percentage...
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2010, 01:06 AM   #10
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
918 quadrillion dollars, eh? Given that it is a very low probability he can demonstrate how he got to that number ...
Actually, the article explains exactly how he got to that number:

Quote:
Anderson said the property has been valued $36 billion and asked for 12.5 percent of that value, $4.5 billion. He also asked for additional compensatory damages of four times that amount and punitive damages of 200 times the amount, which added up to $918 billion.

Once Anderson accepted service in the suit, he filed a second complaint for $38 quadrillion, having multiplied the $918 billion complaint by 204 two times.
While you and I may find his calculations and assumptions to be loony, he did, in fact, "...demonstrate how he got to that number."
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2010, 01:27 AM   #11
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Actually, the article explains exactly how he got to that number:

While you and I may find his calculations and assumptions to be loony, he did, in fact, "...demonstrate how he got to that number."
Yeah, I read that. My question stands: WHY did he multiply $38 billion by 204? And why do that twice?? And why is he prepared to do that yet again in a further suit?

What am I missing about that figure and that process? To me, it seems to have been pulled from someone's freckle.
Old 26th August 2010, 03:57 AM   #12
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Hey, if you're going to sue someone, sue them good. And who knows, maybe he'll magnanimously agree to settle out of court for $12 quadrillion, and everybody wins; he gets his money, and the lawyers save $26 quadrillion, which is something few of us do daily.
Old 26th August 2010, 04:38 AM   #13
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Fry - "One gajillion dollars!"
Auctioneer - "Sir, that's not a real number."
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2010, 05:29 AM   #14
Alareth
Philosopher

Ridiculous. It's not like the dry cleaners lost his pants or something
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2010, 05:58 AM   #15
fagin
Philosopher

I need some of that. I currently owe someone at work a bazillion trazillion gazillion £'s on a bet I lost.
He did agree I could pay it off at 1p a year, but that could take a while, and I hate feeling indebted.
Old 26th August 2010, 06:58 AM   #16
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
With apologies to Everet Dirkson - a trillion here, a trillion there and pretty soon you are talking about real money

Yes, I know if probably didn't say these exact words.
To put a trillion in perspective, the US federal government first spent only one trillion in one year around 1988, pre-inflation adjustment.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2010, 07:50 AM   #17
Moon-Spinner
Graduate Poster

Judge: "Mr. Anderson, Why the heck do you think you're entitled to 38 QUADRILLION dollars??!!!"

John Anderson: "Hey, times are tough, ya know....."
Moon-Spinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events