ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nostradamus

Old 10th October 2010, 12:20 AM   #361
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Rwalsh View Post
The Jokes and Mocking End here.

You first.

What Part are you people having a hard time Grasping

Why you think anyone would believe this drivel.

Nostradamus May have not Predicted EVERYTHINHG.

Nostradumbass didn't predict anything, even in ALLCAPS.

But he Certainly knew ALOT.

Who?

Not all of his Writings like Stated in the PREFACE THAT HE WROTE, DEALS WITH CURRENT OR FUTURE EVENTS.

So WHAT? The WAY you're PRESENTING IT, he couldn't EVEN do postdictions.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 12:27 AM   #362
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

What are you talking about? Your going on the Desciptions that the Christians made up of the return of jesus? Ya I also heard when Jesus returns to earth, he is a theif and a Homeless Bum.

I'm sure you're hoping to get some kind of reaction with that, but given that were mostly atheists (and some heretics) here, I'd say you're heading for Disappointment City.

The Year 2000 is the Millennial AGE HELLO? Its not the year 1000 is it? NO its the year 2000. The Same year- Millennium that Nostradamus writes a bunch of times pertaining to OUR FUTURE.

Looking forward to your explanation of why the term millenium doesn't apply to the year 1000 but does apply to the bimillenial year 2000. I'll bet it's a doozy.

I wish, For me right now to be right in front of you so you could hear the exact raging words from my mouth.

Don't sweat it, mate. Reading them is just as much fun, I promise. I'm pissing myself, as a matter of fact.

But ITS NO USE- I WANT TO CALL ALL OF YOU SO MANY VULGAR NAMES- that Im willing to remain silent as to putting these on Paper.

The Jade monkey is in the glove compartment.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 12:28 AM   #363
fromdownunder
Illuminator

What are you talking about? Your going on the Desciptions that the Christians made up of the return of jesus? Ya I also heard when Jesus returns to earth, he is a theif and a Homeless Bum
You are quite welcome to google the origiinal meaning of Millennium (you might even try spelling it correctly to avoid more confusion), and ascertain that I am correct in that the original definition is what I said it was.

Quote:
The Year 2000 is the Millennial AGE HELLO? Its not the year 1000 is it? NO its the year 2000. The Same year- Millennium that Nostradamus writes a bunch of times pertaining to OUR FUTURE.
No, the year "2,000" is a man made date based on a calander invented by Dionysius Exiguus (Dennis the Little or Dennis the Short), 1,500 years ago. Again, google this and look it up. Don't take my word for it. Research is your friend.

Quote:
I wish, For me right now to be right in front of you so you could hear the exact raging words from my mouth. But ITS NO USE- I WANT TO CALL ALL OF YOU SO MANY VULGAR NAMES- that Im willing to remain silent as to putting these on Paper.
Why? Because you do not like facts?

Quote:
ITS OBVIOUSLY A WASTE OF TIME FOR ME, Speaking to the WEAK SENSE Like nostradamus has warned me about- speaking to Them- to you

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT
Well, it's not a waste of time, just show the evidence. That would be pretty compelling.

Most people on the Board have Sigs. which appear at the foot of every post. I don't, but I do like to be a little less anonymous so that polite people can, and only if they wish, address me by my given name.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 10th October 2010 at 12:29 AM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 12:32 AM   #364
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
You are quite welcome to google the origiinal meaning of Millennium (you might even try spelling it correctly to avoid more confusion), and ascertain that I am correct in that the original definition is what I said it was.

No, the year "2,000" is a man made date based on a calander invented by Dionysius Exiguus (Dennis the Little or Dennis the Short), 1,500 years ago. Again, google this and look it up. Don't take my word for it. Research is your friend.

Why? Because you do not like facts?

Well, it's not a waste of time, just show the evidence. That would be pretty compelling.

Most people on the Board have Sigs. which appear at the foot of every post. I don't, but I do like to be a little less anonymous so that polite people can, and only if they wish, address me by my given name.

Norm
Dont you Worry. I will shut you all up soon enough with this so called evidence- you are EXPECTING

But First! I must needs recording So dont go ape **** crazy when I post non-future predictions most of this is also history!!!!!!!!

Edited by LashL:  To properly mask profanity. Please see Rule 10 re: the auto-censor.

Last edited by LashL; 14th October 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 12:39 AM   #365
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Century X

The year of the great seventh number accomplished, It will appear at the time of the games of slaughter: Not far from the great millennial age, When the buried will go out from their tombs.
Except that's not what the quatrain says. Here's what it says:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus
Au revolu du grande nombre septiesme
Apparoistra au temps Jeux d'Hecatombe,
non esloigne du grande eage milliesme
Que les entres sortiront de leur tombe
and the translation:

Originally Posted by Google Translate
At the revolution of the great seventh number
Games appear at the time of slaughter:
Not far from the great millennial EAGE
That we can pull out of their graves
I'm afraid I missed the Great Revolution of 2007. Actually, how do you know that Nostradamus is even referring to 2007? He could be talking about 3007, or even the year eleventy-seven. Every thousand years, there's a millenium, you know. Nostradamus did not say that this revolution would happen in the second millennial EAGE.

In addition, the way your version is translated indicates that there are Games of Slaughter, not that there are games around the time of slaughter. Even if I'm willing to accept the word "Age" as a substitute for the nonsense word "EAGE" that's in the original quatrain (and I'm not), there is still no mention of any bodies rising from the grave around the millenium. Rather, there's a mention of something or someone being pulled out of their graves (The old millenium? The losers in the games of slaughter? Victims of the Great Revolution of 2007? Nobody knows). This quatrain is essentially meaningless unless you're willing to twist, pull, and stretch the actual words that Nostradamus wrote to mean what you want them to mean.

Also, why are you skipping over Quatrain 72 in the same Century? Let me refresh your memory:

Century X, Quatrain 72
L'an mil neuf cens nonante neuf sept mois,
Du ciel viendra un grand roi deffraieur.
Resusciter le grand roi d'Angolmois.
Avant que Mars regner par bonheur.
The translation:

Originally Posted by Google Translate
The year one thousand nine hundred ninety nine seven months
From the sky will come a great King deffraieur.
Life the great king of Angolmois.
Before Mars to reign by good luck.
But not only did a great King of Terror (if you're willing to substitute the word "terror" for the word "deffraieur" in Nostradamus' original quatrain, which I am not) fail to come from the sky to bring life back to the King of the Mongols (again, provided that you're willing to accept the nonsense word "Angolmois" as an anagram of "Mongolois", which I am not), he neither reigned in March of 2000, nor did he reign under the ancient Roman God of War by good luck, not having had the luck to drop from the sky or exist in any way that we can determine by examining the most important news stories of the year one thousand nine hundred ninety nine:

Originally Posted by Associated Press
A first-place vote gave the story 10 points, a second-place vote nine points, and so on. Stories are followed by the points they received.

1. Clinton impeachment trial 1,741 2. Columbine 1,588 3. Kosovo 1,135 4. Y2K and turning millennium 1,002 5. JFK Jr. dies flying plane 710
I'm sure that a reigning King of Terror dropping from the skies would have driven news of the Clinton blowjob right off the pages in a manner of minutes. Or was JFK Jr. the King of Terror that dropped from the skies? Even if he was, I hardly see what the Mongols got out of it

Why didn't you mention this quatrain, Rwalsh, since it's presumably on the same page in the book, only two away from the one you did quote? After all, it's one of the few that clearly and definitively gives a date that was far in the future of Nostradamus' own lifetime! Previously published Nostradamus books made a really big deal out of this quatrain due to the clarity of its date (rare in a Nostradamus quatrain) and its prediction of destruction and doom (not so rare for a Nostradamus quatrain).

Did you ignore it because it's so clearly wrong, whereas the one you chose might still have a chance to be right some day?
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 12:39 AM   #366
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Dont you Worry. I will shut you all up soon enough with this so called evidence- you are EXPECTING

But First! I must needs recording So dont go ape sh8t crazy when I post non-future predictions most of this is also history!!!!!!!!
You mean postdictions. I will not be impressed. I am sure Nosti is not the first or only one to write about history. But he was surely the most obscure one.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 12:43 AM   #367
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Were they Crushed to death? Carried out of there Tombs?? You know what a Tomb is right??? Tomb is a burial Chamber.

So WHAT?

A THOUSAND YEARS IS A MELLENIUM! IT HAPPENS IN THE MELLENIUUUUMMMM

THE GREAT MELLENIAL AGE IS 2000

Nup. A thousand years is indeed a millenium (note the spelling).

2000 years is a bimillenium. I'm afraid you''ll have to start your decipherings all over. Bummer.

Were talking about Nostradamus period of 1500's here.. When He speaks of the Mellenium you know it means the year 2000 and onward-

How exactly do we know this? Take your word for it?

I don't think so.

You Skeptics sure are Bold.,

It's our five-year mission.

Even when you are Proven Highly Wrong your still think you are 100 percent right without even being open free-thinkers to any new ideas other than your own.

I must have missed the 'Proven Highly Wrong' part. When did that happen?

HECK I COULD HAVE EVEN DREW PICTURES OF THE POOR CHINA PEOPLE BEING CRUSHED TO DEATH BEFORE IT EVER HAPPENING

NO YOU COULDN'T

YA THIS IS MY PAINTING

YA I DO ONE EVERY DAY OR SO

That would be a much better use of your time than this Nostradumbarse foolishness.

Old 10th October 2010, 12:50 AM   #368
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
That would be a much better use of your time than this Nostradumbarse foolishness.
Agreed. Painting is quite good therapy, and relaxes people who have too much angst. Well... most of them. it did wonders for Drew Barrymore in 50 First dates.

Norm
Old 10th October 2010, 12:52 AM   #369
Sean84
Muse

It would appear our dear friend RWalsh does not play well with others anywhere.

Originally Posted by nostradamus.org admin
Deathelm has been banned permanently for continuing to abuse the forum with nonsensical and disturbing posts contrary to posting guidelines a mere day after the last temporary ban lifted.
For anyone wondering, I got the name "deathelm" from the picture he posted earlier that he said was his own work.

I've got a feeling someone already mentioned this...
Sean84 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 12:59 AM   #370
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Dont Expect from me to reply Here AFTER- I shall post, anew tomorrow.

♪ One of these things is not like the other thing ♫

Old 10th October 2010, 01:34 AM   #371
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Century X

The year of the great seventh number accomplished, It will appear at the time of the games of slaughter: Not far from the great millennial age, When the buried will go out from their tombs.

So being Buried, and crushed to Death. Like Nostradamus Predicted!

The quatrain says nothing whatsoever about anyone being crushed to death in whatever event it was predicting.

Anyway, do you have any evidence that you predicted it before the event? Did you actually tell anyone?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 01:38 AM   #372
Mojo
Mostly harmless

But First! I must needs recording So dont go ape [redacted] crazy when I post non-future predictions most of this is also history!!!!!!!!

There is no such thing as a "non-future prediction". Predictions, by definition, are made before the event they predict. That's what the "pre" bit means.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 01:52 AM   #373
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
Yogi Berra.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 03:29 AM   #374
fromdownunder
Illuminator

How about, if I provide firm evidence that I predicted specific and exact results of future events on this very Board back in 2006, and not just generalisations, and then provide links to show evidence that what I predicted came true, would you be willing to accept that I can predict the future?

I have unassailable evidence that I DID predict the future, way back in 2006 and it is on this very Forum, and I predicted specific results before the event.

My post was "Australia to win the ICC Cup, regain the Ashes, then go on and win the World Cup to make it three in a row."

And guess what? my very specific prediction came true. I guess that makes me better than Nosti hey? I will save the link until somebody requests it, but it it here on these Boards. I am so much totally better than Nosti! (And REO Speedwagon)

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 10th October 2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10th October 2010, 08:35 AM   #375
Craig4
Philosopher

Dude,
This is JREF; it's where irrational beliefs come to die. Look at it this way, if your ideas can survive here you're probably onto something.

Now, do you have any evidence that you deciphered this quatrain thingy prior to the earthquake. Do you have a post about it at some other forum or a some other documentation that predates the earthquake?
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 10:25 AM   #376
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Bad spelling: Check.
Multiple threads on the same subject: Check.
CAPITALS: Check.
Copy/paste of loads of stuff from other sites: Check
General incoherence: Check

has anyone mentioned mentioned "Love jam " yet?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006...uardianreview1
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 10:28 AM   #377
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

So no more postings?

But First! I must needs recording So dont go ape **** crazy when I post non-future predictions most of this is also history!!!!!!!!
Edited by LashL:  To properly mask profanity in quote.
"Post non-future predictions"? You are correct. It is history. I predict that you will post some sort of picture.

Oh, with the millennium thing, whose calendar will you be using? Thai, Byzantine, Jewish, and Arabic are just a few that I can think of.

Last edited by LashL; 14th October 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 11:30 AM   #378
Skeeve
violent pacifist

Originally Posted by Sean84 View Post
It would appear our dear friend RWalsh does not play well with others anywhere.
Rwalsh was banned from there???? I would think he'd fit right in.

I just spent 20min going through a few threads and I feel like like a just left an asylum. A very old and dirty asylum. I need a shower.
Skeeve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 11:45 AM   #379
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Originally Posted by Rwalsh
Nostradamus is Accurate,
Lovely. So now please use him to predict something important that will happen in the next six months.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 02:10 PM   #380
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

A THOUSAND YEARS IS A MELLENIUM! IT HAPPENS IN THE MELLENIUUUUMMMM

THE GREAT MELLENIAL AGE IS 2000
The word is 'millennium'. It comes from the Latin mille (thousand) and annus (year) and means a period of one thousand years. Just because the Gregorian/Julian calendars reached 2000 at a particular time, measured inaccurately from the supposed birth of a Jewish prophet, has no significance whatever. Pick an event and any date can be a millennial anniversary. For example, supposing Nostradamus was predicting the future, perhaps he was referring to the millennial anniversary of the founding of Barking Abbey in east London? Then the year in question would be 1666....
Were talking about Nostradamus period of 1500's here.. When He speaks of the Mellenium you know it means the year 2000 and onward-

You Skeptics sure are Bold., Even when you are Proven Highly Wrong your still think you are 100 percent right without even being open free-thinkers to any new ideas other than your own.
Do try and provide some evidence for your beliefs.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 02:22 PM   #381
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

The Year 2000 is the Millennial AGE HELLO? Its not the year 1000 is it? NO its the year 2000.
Really? Why?

I wish, For me right now to be right in front of you so you could hear the exact raging words from my mouth. But ITS NO USE- I WANT TO CALL ALL OF YOU SO MANY VULGAR NAMES- that Im willing to remain silent as to putting these on Paper.
Don't hold back on our account.

ITS OBVIOUSLY A WASTE OF TIME FOR ME, Speaking to the WEAK SENSE Like nostradamus has warned me about- speaking to Them- to you
Again provide evidence for your assertions about Michel de Nostradamus
And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT
Huh?

1. Stop getting so annoyed at us because you can't provide evidence for your beliefs.
2. May I suggest you spellcheck your rants before posting?

I'm looking forward
Instead of attempting to fit past events to Nostradamus's 'predictions' who not made a prediction, from them, one an event that hasn't happened yet? Say the forthcoming US elections.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 03:54 PM   #382
edona7
Scholar

OK, I've been reading this thread since the beginning, and one of the things I'm having trouble understanding is - RWalsh has said several times that Nostradamus didn't always speak of the future in his Quatrains. So, how do we know which unit of 1000 years he was referring to as Millennial (assuming we don't use the classic, 1000 year reign of Christ definition, which was probably a definition well known to him)?
Old 10th October 2010, 05:50 PM   #383
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by edona7 View Post
OK, I've been reading this thread since the beginning, and one of the things I'm having trouble understanding is - RWalsh has said several times that Nostradamus didn't always speak of the future in his Quatrains. So, how do we know which unit of 1000 years he was referring to as Millennial (assuming we don't use the classic, 1000 year reign of Christ definition, which was probably a definition well known to him)?
I feel the Quatrains are- mixed up. Century I would label as the years predated back to 1000 years in this area.

Century X- will appear to have some correct timeframe- So For that Century X is 2000. and the Rest should be catagorized for Century V- the 1500s.

So If I research an even that happend in 1400's Then should most likely be placed in Century IV.
so if it extends past Century 12. Then this means 2200 years.

So Assuming that Century X is 2000 year and that the Quatrain was placed there as a not so clouded but recognizable event that soon occurred.

The Question is.. Why Write Centuries? If not in meaning to calculate the 100years as a Century.

But.. some things trouble me...

Nostradamus writes
They are perpetual prophecies, for they extend from now to the year 3797

So Nostradamus says specifically.. "FOR THEY EXTEND FROM NOW-"

Now meaning the time he wrote the message From Salon this first of March, 1555. From the Preface.

So.. Calculated from now to 3797. So maybe

3797 - 1555 = 2242

So really I think he is saying that in total he records the past 2242 Years. in 12 Centuries.

Again the Question remains is why he wrote- They Extend Now? but really they extend all the research points that these years given are the calculations and understanding how the Centuries work.

And Again, How can the Prophecies Extend from Now-1555. When really there are prophicies dated back to the 1200s and less. Ya- Basically He was just clouding up his meaning. To truly understand the work is to analyze even the slightest word/wording.

Not to necessarily say the World will end in 2242- but thats how far Nostradamus was able to record. or atleast to my knowledge I havnt been able to find anything out conclusively yet. about that far future..

Century I - 1100 Century
Century II - 1200 Century
Century III - 1300 Century
Century IV - 1400 Century
Century V - 1500 Century
Century VI - 1600 Century
Century VII - 1700 Century
Century VIII - 1800 Century
Century IX- 1900 Century
Century X - 2000 Century
Century XI - 2100 Century
Century XII - 2200 Century

Last edited by Rwalsh; 10th October 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 07:32 PM   #384
Apology

I feel the Quatrains are- mixed up. Century I would label as the years predated back to 1000 years in this area.

Century X- will appear to have some correct timeframe- So For that Century X is 2000. and the Rest should be catagorized for Century V- the 1500s.

So If I research an even that happend in 1400's Then should most likely be placed in Century IV.

So Assuming that Century X is 2000 year and that the Quatrain was placed there as a not so clouded but recognizable event that soon occurred.

The Question is.. Why Write Centuries? If not in meaning to calculate the 100years as a Century.

Nostradamus writes

Now meaning the time he wrote the message From Salon this first of March, 1555. From the Preface.

3797 - 1555 = 2242

So really I think he is saying that in total he records the past 2242 Years. in 12 Centuries.

Again the Question remains is why he wrote- They Extend Now? but really they extend all the research points that these years given are the calculations and understanding how the Centuries work.

And Again, How can the Prophecies Extend from Now-1555. When really there are prophicies dated back to the 1200s and less. Ya- Basically He was just clouding up his meaning. To truly understand the work is to analyze even the slightest word/wording.

Not to necessarily say the World will end in 2242- but thats how far Nostradamus was able to record. or atleast to my knowledge I havnt been able to find anything out conclusively yet. about that far future..

Century I - 1100 Century
Century V - 1500 Century
Century IX- 1900 Century
Century X - 2000 Century
I repeat what is written on page 10 of the Introduction to Nostradamus' Prophecies:

Originally Posted by The Prophesies of Nostradamus, Introduction by Erika Cheetham, Page 10, Paragraph 2

The word Century has nothing to do with one hundred years; it was so called because there were a hundred verses, or quatrains, in each book, of which Nostradamus intended to write ten, making one thousand quatrains in all.
Now I'm going to skip a little bit of irrelevant stuff for the purposes of not infringing on Ms. Cheetham's copyrights, following JREF rules, etc. A few sentences later, on the same page:

Originally Posted by The Prophesies of Nostradamus, Introduction by Erika Cheetham, Page 10, Paragraph 3
In order to avoid being prosecuted as a magician, Nostradamus writes that he deliberately confused the time sequence of the Prophesies so that their secrets would not be revealed to the non-initiate.
Everything you've written in your last post is entirely wrong, and entirely in your imagination. That old huckster, Nostradamus himself, wrote that he deliberately mixed up the predictions in order to throw prosecutors off the track. It really doesn't matter if you're reading the copy that Ms. Cheetham translated, edited, and introduced; any other translator/editor would have given you the exact same information in their own Introduction to the book, since it's well-known Nostradamus trivia that helps the translator/editor to explain away the many, many flaws in Nostradamus' predictions. You are claiming to have some special, arcane knowledge of Nostradamus' meaning, yet it's clear that you haven't even bothered to read the Introduction to the book. Have you even googled about a bit to find out more about Nostradamus' life? Allow me to help you:

Myths & Hoaxes About Nostradamus

and of course, the biggest Myth and Hoax surrounding Nostradamus is the one that says he was able to predict the future, hth.
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology

Last edited by Apology; 10th October 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 07:35 PM   #385
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by apology View Post
i repeat what is written on page 10 of the introduction to nostradamus' prophecies:

Now i'm going to skip a little bit of irrelevant stuff for the purposes of not infringing on ms. Cheetham's copyrights, following jref rules, etc. A few sentences later, on the same page:

Everything you've written in your last post is entirely wrong, and entirely in your imagination. That old huckster, nostradamus himself, wrote that he deliberately mixed up the predictions in order to throw prosecutors off the track. It really doesn't matter if you're reading the copy that ms. Cheetham translated, edited, and introduced; any other translator/editor would have given you the exact same information in their own introduction to the book, since it's well-known nostradamus trivia that helps the translator/editor to explain away the many, many flaws in nostradamus' predictions. You are claiming to have some special, arcane knowledge of nostradamus' meaning, yet it's clear that you haven't even bothered to read the introduction to the book. Have you even googled about a bit to find out more about nostradamus' life? Allow me to help you:

myths & hoaxes about nostradamus

and of course, the biggest myth and hoax surrounding nostradamus is the one that says he was able to predict the future, hth.

magician, ha@!!!!!
Old 10th October 2010, 07:42 PM   #386
Skeeve
violent pacifist

magician, ha@!!!!!
LOL, of all the previous text, he chooses "magician".

Awesome!
Skeeve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 07:59 PM   #387
Sean84
Muse

magician, ha@!!!!!
True; Nostradamus was no magician. The Amazing Randi was a magician. Nostradamus ain't got **** on him.

*snip*
When? Nowish? Laterish? Sometime in the pastish?

I'm having trouble deciphering this 'evidence' prediction. How many online translators do I need to pass it through to see the hidden clouded meaning?
Sean84 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2010, 08:55 PM   #388
Apology

magician, ha@!!!!!
Yes, magician. You really should study up on a little bit of 16th century history so you can understand what Nostradamus was really about a little better; the crime of being a magician in Nostradamus' lifetime was punishable by death. However, he needn't have worried, since he was really just a bad astrologer, bad doctor*, and bad poet. The only thing that Nostradamus was ever any good at was bull-******** people, much like he's managed to bull-**** you some 444 years after his death. Had you going for at least the last two years, hasn't he

*He wasn't actually a doctor at all; he was expelled from Medical School at University of Montpelier in 1529. Didn't stop him from calling himself a doctor and practicing medicine though.

Last edited by Apology; 10th October 2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10th October 2010, 09:38 PM   #389
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

So if they are "predated back to 1000 years" then they're not prophecies, they're poetic history lessons

Nostradamus writes

3797 - 1555 = 2242

Century I - 1100 Century
{snip}
You're contradicting yourself. Either you claim that his prophecies start at 1100 AD and end around 2200 AD, or you claim that his prophecies start around 1555 AD and end around 2655 AD. Which is it?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 12:06 AM   #390
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

And I feel that you are mixed up. Why do you believe that your confused labelling of some ill-conceived notion that you can't even express in English would be of any use at all to anyone, anywhere, ever?

You forgot the bit where you say, "Take away the number you first thought of."

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune . . .

. . . or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?

Nostradamus writes

And he sees the vision splendid
Of the sunlit plains extended
And at night the wondrous glory
Of the everlasting stars.

3797 - 1555 = 2242

Don't know much about geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for

Cold hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey and yellow, white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion

Century I - 1100 Century
Century V - 1500 Century
Century IX- 1900 Century
Century X - 2000 Century

Well this is clearly wrong. Everyone knows the world is going to end in 2012.

Roger Waters (Dark side of the Moon)
William Shakespeare (Hamlet)
A.B. "Banjo" Paterson (Clancy of The Overflow)
Sam Cooke (Wonderful World)
Graeme Edge (Days of Future Passed)

Old 11th October 2010, 12:06 AM   #391
Craig4
Philosopher

No really, I'd like to know about this earthquake you predicted. You said your decipher predicted it before it happened. Do you have evidence of this. Did you post something about an earthquake happening at a specific date and place prior to the earthquake happening?
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 12:57 AM   #392
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

magician, ha@!!!!!
/ its IRRELIVANT

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 05:15 AM   #393
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
I'm afraid I missed the Great Revolution of 2007. Actually, how do you know that Nostradamus is even referring to 2007? He could be talking about 3007, or even the year eleventy-seven. Every thousand years, there's a millenium, you know. Nostradamus did not say that this revolution would happen in the second millennial EAGE.
It doesn't even have to be a year. It could be any date with a "7" in it.

Or, it could be an address.

Or, the "seventh" country among a completely arbitrary group of countries.

Or, it could refer to Seven of Nine in Star Trek: Voyager.

That's the beauty of Nostradamus' style!

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 04:15 PM   #394
Rwalsh
Banned

@ Apology

Ive used Google Translate many times- And its sometimes translates the meaning as best as possible, But it has many, much flaws.
Ive tried it myself talking to others in there language and it comes out as something different alot as well.
Thanks for your interest and courtesy

aggle-rithm - Star Trek couldn't possibly be the answer

Craig4 - I did have some articles, yet there no longer available. Sorry.

Rrose Selavy - This Love Jam sounds terrific. But im sure it was a fairly effective myth back in Nostradamus time, Surely it must have been what is called today as Viagra. Many men are plagued with not enough energy in that area- And.. perhaps back in those times even before they had some treatments for it. But Ive also read that Nostradamus had other books,. like on good hygiene as well, which might I add was a very uncommon practice during the Black Plague in my opinion.... Again Thank you.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 11th October 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11th October 2010, 05:25 PM   #395
bookitty
Philosopher

But Ive also read that Nostradamus had other books,. like on good hygiene as well, which might I add was a very uncommon practice during the Black Plague in my opinion.... Again Thank you.
Black plague? Do you mean the bubonic plague or the black death? If so, to which outbreak are you referring? The Justinian plague of the 6th century, the massive outbreak in the 1300's or the random outbreaks that followed?

I'd also like to know which books you've read that discuss the hygiene of the 6th, 14th or 17th centuries. Or, if you prefer, any books you've read that discuss common cures or medical practices of the mid 15th century. If you're going to say that the other books of Nostradamus included unusual or uncommon information, then you need a comparison to what else was being taught.
Old 11th October 2010, 06:07 PM   #396
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
Black plague? Do you mean the bubonic plague or the black death? If so, to which outbreak are you referring? The Justinian plague of the 6th century, the massive outbreak in the 1300's or the random outbreaks that followed?

I'd also like to know which books you've read that discuss the hygiene of the 6th, 14th or 17th centuries. Or, if you prefer, any books you've read that discuss common cures or medical practices of the mid 15th century. If you're going to say that the other books of Nostradamus included unusual or uncommon information, then you need a comparison to what else was being taught.

Whatever Plagued took Nostradamus Family.

I heard of some books, Perhaps if you read my statement. I SAID I HEARD OF SOME BOOKS THAT HE WROTE ON HYGENE AND SUCH?

I HEARD- I SAID I HEARD ARE YOU DAFFED?

I HEARD OF THEM, IM JUST NOT FAMILIAR WITH THEM

And you might I add, aggrivate me with your every StateMENT.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 11th October 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11th October 2010, 06:11 PM   #397
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

So in what way did you hear of them? You don't know what they are but you're sure they exist. What kind of person would believe in something without any proof whatsoev-

Oh.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 06:22 PM   #398
Apology

@ Apology

Ive used Google Translate many times- And its sometimes translates the meaning as best as possible, But it has many, much flaws.
Ive tried it myself talking to others in there language and it comes out as something different alot as well.
Thanks for your interest and courtesy

aggle-rithm - Star Trek couldn't possibly be the answer

Rrose Selavy - This Love Jam sounds terrific. But im sure it was a fairly effective myth back in Nostradamus time, Surely it must have been what is called today as Viagra. Many men are plagued with not enough energy in that area- And.. perhaps back in those times even before they had some treatments for it. But Ive also read that Nostradamus had other books,. like on good hygiene as well, which might I add was a very uncommon practice during the Black Plague in my opinion.... Again Thank you.
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? When you read any book about Nostradamus, you're trusting that the translator hasn't twisted the translation to support their own contentions of what they think it means, aren't you? How do you know, when reading Cheetham's translations, that she didn't have an interpretation in mind before she even attempted to translate a particular quatrain, and translated it in such a fashion that it supported her original interpretation? You don't.

At least, with Google Translate, in spite of its flaws, you know that there isn't a human being with an agenda behind it, twisting the translations to suit their own purposes. Google Translate doesn't care if its translating Nostradamus, an international love-note, or today's Racing Form---there's no agenda, it just does as it's programmed to do.

Nostradamus translators and editors often based their books off of previous works by other translators. Initially, this seems reasonable--saves time and duplication of effort, does it not? However, this is a sloppy way to do research, because mistakes of the past are carried forward into the present and beyond. For instance, Cheetham's famous Hister/Hitler prophecy:

Century II, Quatrain 24
Bestes farouches de faim fleuves tranner,
Plus part du champ encontre Hister sera.
En caige de fer le grand fera treisner,
Quand rien enfant de Germain observera.
Now here's what Cheetham says it says:

Originally Posted by Erika Cheetham
Century II, Quatrain 24
Beasts wild with hunger will cross the rivers,
the greater part of the battlefield will be against Hitler.
He will drag the leader in a cage of iron,
When the child of Germany observes no laws.
Now here's the part where we're supposed to rock back on our heels, gobsmacked, because Nostradamus predicted Hitler by name. OMG, HITLER!!!

Except, you know, he really did no such thing. The word Hister is the name of a portion of the Danube river in Latin. Nostradamus even clearly calls the Danube "Hister" in his almanacs. However, used out of context, Cheetham can make excuses for Nostradamus and declare it's a misspelling (after all, he was predicting WWII!!!) and twist the meaning of the quatrain from a battle along the Danube (likely) into a prediction of Hitler's reign (less likely).

Let's pretend, however, that the quatrain does refer to Hitler, and look at some of the other details. I don't recall any battles in WWII in which the leader of the opposition was dragged in a cage. It simply didn't happen. And what, exactly, does "When the child of Germany knows no laws" mean? For there were certainly many, very strict laws in Nazi Germany, and if one broke them, one was punished severely, even to death.

Other than using the word "Hitler", which I've shown is a false interpretation, this most famous of quatrains is entirely meaningless. And yet, modern interpreters base their work upon Cheetham's faulty work and continue to trumpet this quatrain as the definitive prediction of Hitler. Cheetham's own work was based on previous faulty works, and there's much to suggest that Nostradamus based the Prophecies on the works of older prophets, philosophers, and historians.

In short, it's a crock, based on a crock, and twisted by mistranslation into a bigger crock. Please don't waste as much of your time on Nostradamus and his so-called prophecies as I did. There's too many things that are more constructive, important, and entertaining that you could do.
Old 11th October 2010, 07:00 PM   #399
bookitty
Philosopher

Whatever Plagued took Nostradamus Family.

I heard of some books, Perhaps if you read my statement. I SAID I HEARD OF SOME BOOKS THAT HE WROTE ON HYGENE AND SUCH?

I HEARD- I SAID I HEARD ARE YOU DAFFED?

I HEARD OF THEM, IM JUST NOT FAMILIAR WITH THEM

And you might I add, aggrivate me with your every StateMENT.
I find it very strange that you've spent years trying to decipher the works of a 15th century author without once picking up a history book. How can you expect to understand him when you don't even know what life was like during his time?
Old 11th October 2010, 08:21 PM   #400
Craig4
Philosopher

@
Which would be another way of saying, no. No you didn't predict an earthquake before it happened.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal