ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nostradamus

Old 2nd October 2010, 01:41 AM   #41
Ladewig
Hipster alien

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
On the evidence of the example put forward in this thread, I beg leave to doubt that.

It's actually Harry who's suspected of having a different father. I don't think anyone has ever suggested that William's paternity is questionable.
No one has ever suggested it until 1555 !

Or to put it in a more serious reply: at the end of the OP, Rwalsh asserted William is not Charles's son.
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.

Last edited by Ladewig; 2nd October 2010 at 02:25 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:45 AM   #42
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Can you answer any of them?

Here's one more. When Nostradamus was writing about Princess Di's death and potential heirs to the British throne, why was it necessary "to cloud the meaning of the message"?
The writings are bestowed upon the one Nostradamus chooses... to decipher on this millennial occasion. Under no circumstances is this to be taken lightly. It must be read several times, meticulously calculated, and a correct infused bond of internal companionship is formed. It is Clouded only for "A" certain mind to read..
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:52 AM   #43
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Rwalsh View Post
The writings are bestowed upon the one Nostradamus chooses...
I'm pretty sure that Nostradamus isn't in any shape to be choosing anyone right now.
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:53 AM   #44
23_Tauri
Illuminator

It's actually Harry who's suspected of having a different father. I don't think anyone has ever suggested that William's paternity is questionable.

23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:54 AM   #45
Ladewig
Hipster alien

The writings are bestowed upon the one Nostradamus chooses... to decipher on this millennial occasion. Under no circumstances is this to be taken lightly. It must be read several times, meticulously calculated, and a correct infused bond of internal companionship is formed. It is Clouded only for "A" certain mind to read..
Can you give some examples of the meticulous calculations that you have performed as part of this deciphering?
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:55 AM   #46
Sean84
Muse

So which of their Masonic slaves have the Reptoids awarded that honor? Or what other nonsense are you talking about?
Sean84 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:56 AM   #47
bookitty
Philosopher

Nostradamus wrote his quatrains in the mid 1500's and they haven't been out of print since. (Say what you will, the man could work a room.) Interpreting them has been the favorite game of charlatans, seekers, arm-chair philosophers and even men of learning for the last 450 years or so.

During that time there have been countless assassinations, abdications, thrones overthrown, cuckolded kings, power-grabs, young deaths, fires, floods, comets, famines, border battles, wars, revolutions, and a host of other dramatic events that were particularly important in their time but have since been rendered footnotes in history. Nearly all of them were held up as proof of this or that prediction. A few years later it was forgotten and the next event took its place.

What makes you think that the tragic death of a secondary royal family member's first wife will be at all interesting in 200 years?
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:57 AM   #48
23_Tauri
Illuminator

One question.... WHY?

Suggesting their his prophecies were veiled doesn't make sense. If I have the unique talent of precognition I would make the best show of my super-human powers, and make my predictions as accurate as possible for the rulers of the day. This would better save my head from Madame Guilloutine, for one thing.
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:59 AM   #49
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Not true. The deciphers I compiled became evident of future events.

Did you make your "decipher" before or after the events you claim it predicted?

If you really want to impress people, try posting your "deciphers" before the events they allegedly predict, rather than retrofitting them to past events.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:04 AM   #50
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
If you really want to impress people, try posting your "deciphers" before the events they allegedly predict, rather than retrofitting them to past events.
To be fair he has predicted, right here on this thread, that Harry will succeed his father Charles as King rather than William, because Charles will reveal that William is not his natural son on his deathbed.

Of course by the time Charles dies and none of this happens we will all have forgotten this ridiculous thread ...
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:49 AM   #51
Debaser
Muse

I just love the fact that everyone who has speculated about 'issues' of parentage (and you know you're out there) has apparently got it A about T and it's the balding, toothy one who isn't Chuck's but the ginger one who is.

Talk about 'man bites dog'.
Debaser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 04:37 AM   #52
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

The OP is one in a long chain that reaffirms the value of Nostradamus' prophecies as a verbal Rorschach Inkblot Test.

Also, predicting the death of an octogenarian in the next few years is quite a daring bet.
Old 2nd October 2010, 04:49 AM   #53
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
I just love the fact that everyone who has speculated about 'issues' of parentage (and you know you're out there) has apparently got it A about T and it's the balding, toothy one who isn't Chuck's but the ginger one who is.

Talk about 'man bites dog'.
I always thought ginger was a recessive gene...
Old 2nd October 2010, 05:24 AM   #54
Mojo
Mostly harmless

To be fair he has predicted, right here on this thread, that Harry will succeed his father Charles as King rather than William, because Charles will reveal that William is not his natural son on his deathbed.

Of course by the time Charles dies and none of this happens we will all have forgotten this ridiculous thread ...

And not a successful prediction until it happens.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 05:33 AM   #55
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
The OP is one in a long chain that reaffirms the value of Nostradamus' prophecies as a verbal Rorschach Inkblot Test.

In this case not even that. There are enough details even in Rwalsh's short extract from this "epistle" to make it a simple matter to demonstrate that it cannot apply to Diana. The only thing that fits is the "will be unable to live beyond her thirty-sixth year", but since the text clearly isn't about Diana it can't be considered a hit.

Old 2nd October 2010, 05:39 AM   #56
Mojo
Mostly harmless

She will leave three males, and one female, and of these two will not have had the same father.

Now within the context he states that Of these two, they will not have the same Father. Meaning that One of Princess Diana Son is not from King Charles.

No, "within the context" he says that this woman will have had four children, three boys and one girl, and they will have had four different fathers. That is what "of these two will not have had the same father" means: "these" refers back to the three males and one female mentioned earlier in the same sentence.

Old 2nd October 2010, 06:55 AM   #57
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by 23_Tauri View Post
I always thought ginger was a recessive gene...

I was arguing from that premise in a different thread, but it was pointed out to me that I was wrong.

Sure, red hair is recessive and you need to have it on both sides of the family to get a red-headed kid. Everybody knows there is red hair on Diana's side, and I don't suppose we're accusing Harry of being a changeling. However, as it was pointed out to me, there is also red hair on Charles's side. Charles's younger brother has two red-haired daughters. And there isn't any serious question about paternity there.

I still think the photo-comparison is pretty deadly, though....

Rolfe.
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:13 AM   #58
desertgal
Illuminator

Good grief is right.

For God will take notice of the long barrenness of the great dame...
Who exactly is the "grand dame"? Diana, her mother, or the Queen?

Diana first conceived when she was 20 years old The Queen had Charles in her early 20's, Frances Shand Kydd had her first child at 19. So much for "long barrenness".

Quote:
...who thereupon will conceive two principal children.
Diana conceived three children, not two. She had a miscarriage in 1983. The Queen conceived three "principle" children - Charles, Andrew, and Edward. Mrs. Shand Kydd conceived five children.

Quote:
But she will be in danger...
WHO will be in danger? The Queen? She's probably been in danger a few times, but she's still alive. Mrs. Shand Kydd? Never in danger, and died at 68. Diana? The only thing Diana was ever in danger from was a drunk driver, her own thoughtlessness, a paternal egomaniac, and a couple of reckless fools who equated cameras with guns. There was nothing extraordinary about that accident except that it was completely avoidable. Drunk and reckless driving accidents happen every day around the world, so we're all living on the edge.

Quote:
...and the female to whom she will have given birth will also,
because of the temerity of the age, be in danger of death in her
eighteenth year, and will be unable to live beyond her thirty-sixth
year.
What does this mean? That the daughter Diana didn't have would have been in danger at the age of 18, and would not have lived past 36? Okaaay...

If Diana was the daughter and Elizabeth II the mother figure, then that also makes no sense, considering that the Queen did not give birth to her.

If the "great dame" is Diana's mother, then, again, no sense. Frances Shand Kydd had five children, the first at the age of 19. She was not "long barren". None of her daughters were in danger of death at the age of 18.

The only correlation you could possibly draw out of this "prediction" is that Diana died at age 36, but so have millions of people. You're really stretching.

Quote:
Quote:
She will leave three males, and one female
Diana didn't have a daughter, and only two sons. The Queen had three sons and a daughter, but Diana wasn't her child. Frances Shand Kydd had three daughters and two sons.

Quote:
...and of these two will not have had the same father.
I strongly doubt any of the Queen's children have a different father. Neither did Mrs. Shand Kydd's. As for Diana, that baseless rumor has been making the rounds for years. Diana met James Hewitt in 1986. Harry was born in 1984. You do the math.

In any case, the "ginger hair" is the only thing those who suggest that Hewitt is Harry's father have to hang their hat on, and it's a stretch. The entire Spencer family has ginger hair. Diana's sister is a pure redhead, and so was her brother before his hair turned gray. Diana herself had ginger hair before she dyed it blonde. Several of the Windsors have ginger hair, the Princess Royal for one. And Harry bears a strong resemblance to Prince Philip when he was younger.

Quote:
Three males... and one Female.

The more important in this situation

Prince Harry, Prince Phillip, Charles, And the Queen herself.

The most immidiate family to the throne.
Since when? You forgot William. You know, Harry's older brother?

Quote:
Prince Harry the younger son will be the King of the Throne when Charles Passes. This is my Decipher.
How do you figure? William is next in the line of succession after Charles. And there's no such title as "King of the Throne".

Quote:
Now that said, There is no Queen to take the Heir of Britian. And therefor it will be Ruled by a Male Figure. The King, no Queen

Elizebeth is currently 84 years, 3 months and 21 days old
So...an elderly woman might die eventually? Tell us a new one.

Quote:
How Long dose she Really Have to live, Not Long.
Don't know how long the Queen will live, but take note: her mother lived to 101. Elizabeth is a fairly active woman with a healthy lifestyle. Don't think we can kill her off just yet.

Quote:
And then Thats when you will start to see things really change in this world.
Really? The death of a ceremonial head of state, to be replaced by another ceremonial head of state, is going to change the world? Not so much.

And I have to agree with Bookitty - why would Nostradamus make a prediction about a former wife of a possible future ceremonial king hundreds of years hence? Aside from the public hysteria over her death, Diana's life and death were not that significant in the grand scheme of things, except to her sons.

For Pete's sake, if you are going to present this "prediction" as having some basis in fact, you might want to base your conclusions on FACT. So far, I see erroneous details and tabloid tittle tattle.

Last edited by desertgal; 2nd October 2010 at 09:09 AM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:45 AM   #59
jhunter1163
Beer-swilling semiliterate

I feel like I should point out that the Queen Mother lived to be 101, so it's not exactly a sure bet that Elizabeth II is going to die anytime soon.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:57 AM   #60
Ersby
Fortean

Three males... and one Female.

The more important in this situation

Prince Harry, Prince Phillip, Charles, And the Queen herself.

The most immidiate family to the throne.
In the Epistle, if you were to continue the quote, you'd see that Nostradamus calls them "three brothers", and later refers to "the daughter"

Anyway, I promised myself I'd stay away from Nostradamus threads after drmabus.

History of Psi in the Ganzfeld 1974-2010
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:25 AM   #61
Debaser
Muse

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
I strongly doubt any of the Queen's children have a different father.
Well, you say that...but I believe there are those who point to the nine year gap between Charles / Anne and Andrew / Edward as being odd and have suggested various alternative fathers, bizarre as that seems. (Even more strange given Phil's favourites seem to be Anne or Andy). Now that could be your four kids (3 sons, 1 daughter) with two different dads...but still...
Debaser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:28 AM   #62
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The Queen conceived three "principle" children - Charles, Andrew, and Edward.

Four.

Old 2nd October 2010, 10:31 AM   #63
desertgal
Illuminator

Four.
Sorry, I was referring to the line of succession, which puts Anne behind her brothers...I got the sense that the OP only views male heirs as "principle".
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:37 AM   #64
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Sorry, I was referring to the line of succession, which puts Anne behind her brothers...I got the sense that the OP only views male heirs as "principle".

She's still in the succession though.

Old 2nd October 2010, 10:37 AM   #65
desertgal
Illuminator

Well, you say that...but I believe there are those who point to the nine year gap between Charles / Anne and Andrew / Edward as being odd and have suggested various alternative fathers, bizarre as that seems. (Even more strange given Phil's favourites seem to be Anne or Andy). Now that could be your four kids (3 sons, 1 daughter) with two different dads...but still...
I know the rumors, but I was discounting them as unfounded.

Andy...tiny possibility. Edward...looks enough like Philip that I doubt it. And it never surprised me that Anne and Andy were favorites with Dad - Charles' never ending angst probably wants to make Philip punt him into a wall.
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:41 AM   #66
desertgal
Illuminator

She's still in the succession though.
True. Too bad she isn't first.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:04 AM   #67
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Nah, doesn't fit. Nostradamus said the mother of the four children would not be able to live beyond 36: the Queen was 37 when Edward was born (and is still alive).

Last edited by Mojo; 2nd October 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:37 AM   #68
Debaser
Muse

Nah, doesn't fit. Nostradamus said the mother of the four children would not be able to live beyond 36: the Queen was 37 when Edward was born (and is still alive).
Ah, but you're forgeting to work in reptillian years. Easy mistake to make.
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:00 PM   #69
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

I know the rumors, but I was discounting them as unfounded.

Andy...tiny possibility. Edward...looks enough like Philip that I doubt it. And it never surprised me that Anne and Andy were favorites with Dad - Charles' never ending angst probably wants to make Philip punt him into a wall.
Plus Edward is a completely useless waste of space.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:43 PM   #70
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Er, more so than Charles?

Rolfe.
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:52 PM   #71
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Nostradamus is Accurate,
Actually, no, no he wasn't/isn't. In the first place his words were as close to meaningless mismatched phrases strung together haplessly as you can get without writing what passes for much popular song over the past 90 years or so - though less witty and you can't really dance to it. In the second place, the situation of the first part means either it is impossible to rationally attach specific meaning/historical/current events to the aforenoted drivel, or it is possible to attach pretty much any event(s)/person(s) to it you choose to.

Neither is defensible in supporting any chance that N. predicted anything. Correctly, anyway.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:56 PM   #72
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Er, more so than Charles?

Rolfe.
Not really. Only difference being that Edward doesn't publicly whine and Charles never stops.
Old 2nd October 2010, 04:10 PM   #73
Skeeve
violent pacifist

I'm sad for Rwalsh.
Skeeve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 05:41 PM   #74
wasapi
Master Poster

Whats clear is the Death in the age. Im not to say I am correct about every word of this statement, but its evident of the apparent Age of Diana's Death. Thats Enough for me to beleive furthermore.
Rwalsh,

Several years ago an elderly man - in his late 80's - believed very much in Nostradamus. He also was an astrologer who had studied (his adult sons verified) astrology for 60 years.

I admit he was an interesting old guy, a retired scientist, and when he found that my birth certificate gave the exact time and location of birth, requested that I allow him to do a detailed horoscope. He said that astrology was his "religion" and never charged money. Out of curiosity I accepted.

The result was several pages, full of many mathematical formula's that were meaningless to me. But the past, present, and future he came up with for me in great detail were easy to understand.

Out of dozens, there were perhaps 4 signifigant hits.

So my question is, are you saying that though he wasn't correct about many things, 4 signifigant hits should make me a believer in astrology? I'm not trying to be flippant, it's just that based on your wording that I qouted, it sounds as if this would be your position.

Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:27 PM   #75
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hey, how about a game? I'll pick a random quatrain, and provide a historical event. You have to explain how the quatrain predicts the event. Ready?

Century IX Quatrain 36
A great King taken by the hands of a young man, Not far from Easter confusion knife thrust: Everlasting captive times what lightning on the top, When three brothers will wound each other and murder.

October 3, 1919 – Mexican Revolution leader Emiliano Zapata is ambushed and shot dead by government forces in Morelos.
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:52 PM   #76
Sean84
Muse

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Hey, how about a game? I'll pick a random quatrain, and provide a historical event. You have to explain how the quatrain predicts the event. Ready?

Century IX Quatrain 36
A great King taken by the hands of a young man, Not far from Easter confusion knife thrust: Everlasting captive times what lightning on the top, When three brothers will wound each other and murder.

October 3, 1919 – Mexican Revolution leader Emiliano Zapata is ambushed and shot dead by government forces in Morelos.
There is far too much male rape in that quatrain for it to be even remotely related to the event.

Please don't try to turn a completely logical thread about Nostradamus into a realm of smut and buggery.
Sean84 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:14 AM   #77
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

RWalsh

What interests me is: why is it that you want to believe in these 'predictions'?
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:59 AM   #78
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

And it never surprised me that Anne and Andy were favorites with Dad - Charles' never ending angst probably wants to make Philip punt him into a wall.
It's rumoured (with what reliability I don't know) that Philip has often privately expressed the view that Charles should never be King. He's fervently hoping that his mother outlives him. It's supposed to be the main reason why the Queen has not abdicated in his favour despite her age, though her own strong sense of duty is probably reason enough.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:22 AM   #79
Rwalsh
Banned

The New Saxon post is my work. I beleive in Aryan. Proud Walshmen. This is not copyright material.
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:26 AM   #80
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
RWalsh

What interests me is: why is it that you want to believe in these 'predictions'?
What makes me "Want" To beleive?

Its something Ive always been involved in. On my own before Nostradamus I spoke of things in the world, predictions I seen which would occur.

These writings Nostradamus gives way, are also lessons to be learned. Book of knowledge.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal