ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nostradamus

Old 3rd October 2010, 08:57 PM   #201
wasapi
Master Poster

If I had hours and hours of time on my hands to research something, it wouldn't be this.

Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:58 PM   #202
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Is there a reason all this Nostradamus crap couldn't go in one thread?

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:59 PM   #203
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Is there a reason all this Nostradamus crap couldn't go in one thread?
So people wouldnt get mixed up with other deciphers. It really needs a new topic
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:00 PM   #204
Brattus
Graduate Poster

I don't get it. Is this a joke thread? If so what's the punch line?
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:00 PM   #205
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Wow! Nosti actually had a quatrain which named real places. Colour me impressed. I read a book once which had a character eating Breakfast outside of Tiffanys in New York. I looked it up on Wiki and shock upon shock, there is a Tiffinys in New York. I didn't realise it was true, or prophesy, so I'm off the find Holly Golightly.

Norm
Nostradamus is Descriptive more than you could ever know!
Rwalsh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:01 PM   #206
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Originally Posted by Rwalsh View Post
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1..._2425824_n.jpg

Nostradamus Writes...
Century 1 Quatrain 5

They will be driven away for a long drawn out fight.
The countryside will be most grievously troubled.
Town and country will have greater struggle.
Carcassonne and Narbonne will have their hearts tried.

These are actual places in france as descriptive in the wiki.
Havnt Really Deciphered Much of this. But It seems to me that Both Carcassonne and Narbonne maybe allied somehow against invasion. Or perhaps they fought against one another.. I remember reading both Carcassonne and Narbonne and It was really hard for me to decipher the history. Rather its easy just to place the links of the history of the places. I have to come up with a conclusion. But never-the-less. Nostradamus is descriptive in this quatrain.

Other than that it takes hours and hours to research and get a grasp of the idea of what Nostradamus is explaining here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbonne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne
You mean he predicted the struggle between the Huguenots and the Catholics, an event that happened within his own lifetime? Color me shocked! He certainly was talented, that Nostradamus.
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:03 PM   #207
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

So people wouldnt get mixed up with other deciphers. It really needs a new topic
No, it really doesn't. You see, it's like this: Nostradamus is crap. He didn't predict the future. No one has ever deciphered anything he wrote to predict the future. People like you twist and mangle his writing to fit things that have already happened. This is not clever or interesting.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:03 PM   #208
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
You mean he predicted the struggle between the Huguenots and the Catholics, an event that happened within his own lifetime? Color me shocked! He certainly was talented, that Nostradamus.
This is only Century 1. Trust me, There is quatrains that far exceeds his time!!!! Im only posting one per day..
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:03 PM   #209
Doc Daneeka
Muse

Having been to both Narbonne and Carcassonne several times, it's hard to imagine that happening these days. Perhaps he was speaking out of his...er...something or other.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:06 PM   #210
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc Daneeka View Post
Having been to both Narbonne and Carcassonne several times, it's hard to imagine that happening these days. Perhaps he was speaking out of his...er...something or other.
Awesome, Could you tell me a brief history? More conflict wise? Wars? How the whole area was inflicted? Troubled?
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:06 PM   #211
fromdownunder
Illuminator

This is only Century 1. Trust me, There is quatrains that far exceeds his time!!!! Im only posting one per day..
So do we have to put up with "impossible to provide evidence for" crappy interpretations for the next thirty years?

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 3rd October 2010 at 09:09 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:08 PM   #212
desertgal
Illuminator

Awesome, Could you tell me a brief history? More conflict wise? Wars? How the whole area was inflicted? Troubled?
Why can't you do your own research?
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:09 PM   #213
Fiona

Does it occur to you that every town and city has trouble at some time in its history? they just have to be there long enough
Fiona is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:09 PM   #214
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
I read some stuff a while ago.. I just havnt come up with the report for this one yet.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:09 PM   #215
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
He only reads Nosti and Wiki.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:14 PM   #216
Sean84
Muse

Then you're trolling...

Is it your intention to throw them out once a day in a separate thread in the hope that someone can't perfectly refute your interpretation and therefore you can point to that thread and declare some pathetic victory?

Why not just post the one that you think has the best evidence that he actually predicted some future event?

Poop or get off the pot.
Sean84 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:16 PM   #217
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean84 View Post
Then you're trolling...

Is it your intention to throw them out once a day in a separate thread in the hope that someone can't perfectly refute your interpretation and therefore you can point to that thread and declare some pathetic victory?

Why not just post the one that you think has the best evidence that he actually predicted some future event?

Poop or get off the pot.

Those ones are a bit tricky...But I suppose.... I can create one that was past Nostradamus time and not our current time... Those ones are slightly different and, yea-.. its critical thinking all over.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 3rd October 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:16 PM   #218
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

No. Just no. Sweet non-existant Jesus, no.

So your game plan is to throw out one of these threads every day. Exactly what is this supposed to achieve? Hundreds of threads full of people telling you Nostradamus was crap?

Old 3rd October 2010, 09:19 PM   #219
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
No. Just no. Sweet non-existant Jesus, no.

So your game plan is to throw out one of these threads every day. Exactly what is this supposed to achieve? Hundreds of threads full of people telling you Nostradamus was crap?
Not every day.. I have 50 or so... most of the time im pretty lazy... I know I should be MORE OBTUSE. More CONCENTRATED, less flawed. To accomplish the necissary.. but--- Im still learning.

Nostradamus writes...
I do not say that the knowledge of this matter cannot yet impress itself upon your young mind..

Otherwords im still learning with this young little brain of mine. It dose impresss me... but at the same time, its very sad sometimes.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 3rd October 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:20 PM   #220
Fiona

Those ones are a bit tricky...But I suppose.... I can create one that was past Nostradamus time and not our current time... Those ones are slightly different and, yea-.. its critical thinking all over.
Are you seriously saying that predictions of things which haven't happened yet are "a bit tricky": but these imprecise and "tricky" things are perfectly clear after the event?
Fiona is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:29 PM   #221
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
Are you seriously saying that predictions of things which haven't happened yet are "a bit tricky": but these imprecise and "tricky" things are perfectly clear after the event?
yes
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:11 PM   #222
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

My dear friend, you seem to have misread the Introduction of the book! Let me enlighten you:

Originally Posted by The Prophesies of Nostradamus, pg. 10
The word Century has nothing to do with one hundred years; it was so called because there were a hundred verses, or quatrains, in each book, of which Nostradamus intended to write ten, making one thousand quatrains in all.
So, you see, the fact that the prediction is in Century I does not mean that Nostradamus was telling us that those predictions would happen sooner than the ones in Century III. I've heard it said that there is no timeline to the predictions, because he mixed the nearer predictions in with the far future predictions so they would appear more random and throw off those pesky government officials. Any prediction could be in the far future, even the ones in Century I.
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:14 PM   #223
Maja
Thinker

These are actual places in france as descriptive in the wiki.
Havnt Really Deciphered Much of this. But It seems to me that Both Carcassonne and Narbonne maybe allied somehow against invasion. Or perhaps they fought against one another.. I remember reading both Carcassonne and Narbonne and It was really hard for me to decipher the history. Rather its easy just to place the links of the history of the places.
Rwalsh, did I understand correctly that you have found the Wikipedia articles on Carcassonne and Narbonne difficult to decipher?
Maja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:17 PM   #224
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

<snippage of extraneous drivel>
Trust me... We are only getting started with Nostradamus works and my deciphering. Perhaps one of the reasons why Nostradamus wrote it, for the simple reason of Free Courage. I shall post Anew! Everyday.. or try to..
Please don't. We already have three Nostrodumbass threads on the front page and that's two too many.
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:32 PM   #225
Rwalsh
Banned

Originally Posted by Maja View Post
Rwalsh, did I understand correctly that you have found the Wikipedia articles on Carcassonne and Narbonne difficult to decipher?
well, It dosnt label the full history of the two places... So yea its difficult without knowing and Ive sampled other sites as well

But Ya. If I had to guess what its all about it be the two places that had allied together against enemy invasions..
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:41 PM   #226
Fiona

well, It dosnt label the full history of the two places... So yea its difficult without knowing and Ive sampled other sites as well

But Ya. If I had to guess what its all about it be the two places that had allied together against enemy invasions..
There is your problem. You don't have to guess: you have to learn.

Honestly, Rwalsh, this is rubbish: if you are having fun then fair enough: but it is a game at best.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:46 PM   #227
Rwalsh
Banned

dont be angry please.

Last edited by Rwalsh; 3rd October 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:51 PM   #228
Sean84
Muse

I thought your claim was that you were somehow the only one capable of deciphering the quatrains. Now it's all guesswork?

Are you on any prescription medication? [/Rainman]
Sean84 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:00 PM   #229
Rwalsh
Banned

The River Connected the two places!
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:04 PM   #230
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

No it doesn't.

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:04 PM   #231
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Otherwords im still learning with this young little brain of mine. It dose impresss me... but at the same time, its very sad sometimes.
Well, I would strongly recommend putting this area of study aside for a while and doing something more practical and og long-term use in your life; something which will bring you into the company of people with widely different interests and hobbies ... such as square dancing, a reading group, a rambling/country walking group or something? I don't think I have read whether you are still of school age or older.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:06 PM   #232
Brattus
Graduate Poster

yes
HA HA HA!!! I knew the punch line was coming! I just had to wait for it.

One of the best joke threads I've seen on here!
Thanks for the belly laugh!
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:09 PM   #233
Rwalsh
Banned

In the Corbières (near Narbonne), on the 12th calends of June 1093, Vicount Aymeric II of Narbonne authorised a community of monks to live in a protected, isolated site in the foothills {accroché au Massif des Corbières} of the Pyrénées (near to today's Spanish border). Called Fontfroide, it lay at the confluence of two cold, bolder-strewn, rushing mountain streams, from which the site derives its name. This community observed the rules of Saint Benoît, the only Order at the time, practiced in the west. Construction on the permanent Abbey began some 50 years later (cloisters and chapter house), after the group affiliated with the Order of Citeaux in 1145 (http://www.fontfroide.com/chronologie.htm) The Abbey was an outpost in the fight against the Cathar heresy of the 12th and 13th centuries. One of its abbots, Jacques Fournier, was elected Pope under the name of Benoît XII (1334 - 1342). This proved to be its zenith in influence.

Fontfroide lost its protector, Pope Benedict XII upon his death in 1342. The tough economic years began as the harbor at Narbonne silted, compounded by the arrival of the plague. Three-quarters of the monks were lost to the Black Death. By 1476 the cistercian abbeys throughout France had all but been abandoned. The Abbey at Fontfroide was put on prebend. Over the next several hundred years, a succession of three noble families enjoyed the title (income and rents) of Abbot of Fontfroide (including de la Rochefoucauld from 1667 to 1717), without having to become priests in the Catholic Church (les abbés commendataires). In 1764 Louis XV consented to the extinction of the title and for the local episcopate to have jurisdiction.

The Révolution forced abandonment of most Church property, forfeit to the State. Fontfroide was no exception. On February 14, 1791, the last monk left, and the structure enjoyed a secular existence. From 1858-1901, a new Cistercian community flourished, but upon the death of its leader the Abbey once again closed.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:10 PM   #234
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Yes, And Ive read other peoples work. They will take somethin, without any fact or illustration. Be completly wrong, and speak as if it had something to do with Russia or Iraq or something.

Which To my knowledge in that quatrain you it has names of places like France. So how could this be??? When nostradamus writes names of places in france in some of his quatrains yet people are talking about nuclear bombs in IRAQ.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Yes Normal Dude.. It is pointless to read something without any conclusive facts. PERTAINING to the Quatrains.

The most Important Part of the Book is to read the PREFACE to Cesar Nostradamus. And the Epistle to Henry the II. To me these are the most fundamental, and Essential things you need to Know before Deciphering any of the quatrains. Its something you have to re-read atleast... well. You need to re-read all of it alot.

There ARE RULES and Doctrain you need to know about before Deciphering. You cant just pick any quatrain and decipher it. You got to know which ones are more descriptive. Particularly the names and Descriptions, Not to know times and Dates.

You cant take a Quatrain, and go Blah Blah Blah 9/11., You need Evidence and FACTS.

You also need to know EVERYTHING in the Facts and Evidence to know what it means.
There is no evidence or facts. It's all imagination with a very healthy dose of cherry picking and misconstruing meanings.

And to say the least...Im sure everyone here has had a Da-javu moment in there lifetime they can remember? Isnt this a form of seeing into the future without knowing it until that moment.
No, it isn't.

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:11 PM   #235
Fiona

In the Corbières (near Narbonne), on the 12th calends of June 1093, Vicount Aymeric II of Narbonne authorised a community of monks to live in a protected, isolated site in the foothills {accroché au Massif des Corbières} of the Pyrénées (near to today's Spanish border). Called Fontfroide, it lay at the confluence of two cold, bolder-strewn, rushing mountain streams, from which the site derives its name. This community observed the rules of Saint Benoît, the only Order at the time, practiced in the west. Construction on the permanent Abbey began some 50 years later (cloisters and chapter house), after the group affiliated with the Order of Citeaux in 1145 (http://www.fontfroide.com/chronologie.htm) The Abbey was an outpost in the fight against the Cathar heresy of the 12th and 13th centuries. One of its abbots, Jacques Fournier, was elected Pope under the name of Benoît XII (1334 - 1342). This proved to be its zenith in influence.

Fontfroide lost its protector, Pope Benedict XII upon his death in 1342. The tough economic years began as the harbor at Narbonne silted, compounded by the arrival of the plague. Three-quarters of the monks were lost to the Black Death. By 1476 the cistercian abbeys throughout France had all but been abandoned. The Abbey at Fontfroide was put on prebend. Over the next several hundred years, a succession of three noble families enjoyed the title (income and rents) of Abbot of Fontfroide (including de la Rochefoucauld from 1667 to 1717), without having to become priests in the Catholic Church (les abbés commendataires). In 1764 Louis XV consented to the extinction of the title and for the local episcopate to have jurisdiction.

The Révolution forced abandonment of most Church property, forfeit to the State. Fontfroide was no exception. On February 14, 1791, the last monk left, and the structure enjoyed a secular existence. From 1858-1901, a new Cistercian community flourished, but upon the death of its leader the Abbey once again closed.
And?
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:17 PM   #236
Rwalsh
Banned

The wars AGAINST the Cathars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:19 PM   #237
Rwalsh
Banned

From May 1243 to March 1244, the Cathar fortress of Montségur was besieged by the troops of the seneschal of Carcassonne and the archbishop of Narbonne
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:22 PM   #238
Fiona

Yes Rwalsh. What have the cathars got to do with Nostradamus?
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:22 PM   #239
Lucian
Master Poster

The wars AGAINST the Cathars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism
...took place long before Nostradamus was born.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:26 PM   #240
Fiona

Rwalsh do you realise that Nostradamus lived not too far from those places?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal