ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nostradamus

Old 4th October 2010, 02:54 AM   #281
Fiona

Rwalsh: Nostrdsamus is nonsense. You know it is, really. But you are not the first to find him interesting and you certainly won't be the last

You have already found the only true use for his writing: it leads you to learn about things you have not come across before. May I suggest you recogmise this benefit and use it? For example, you now know for certain that Narbonne and Carcassonne exist and where they are. Carcassonne has led you to the Cathars. The history of the Cathars is really interesting and well worth spending some time on. Forget Nostradamus and read about that instead. You will learn a lot about theology and about persecution: and if you find that interesting you will be lead to other periods of history; other persecutions and wars and stuff: other heresies if that is what captures your imagination.

It doesn't much matter what you choose to study: it might be art you were led to because you stumbled on the painting of lady godiva, for example. Any and all of these can be rich fields and you don't need the woo. You can become very special just by really mastering one area of study: it is more work than being special cos of imaginary experiences, but it is a lot more solid. Or you can become a dilletante: that doesn't make you so special but it is still worth while: if you dip into different stuff that crosses your path and gain a little knowledge about a lot of stuff it enriches your life: and eventually you start to make wee connections out of the ragbag and that lets you widen your outlook beyond what you were brought up to believe.

But whatever you do recognise this: knowledge does not come easy: it does not fall into your head from the sky or from dreams: it takes effort and it is worth effort. There are generations of really smart people who went before you whatever you try to learn: it is very unlikely you are going to come up with anything really original: and the more you learn the more you realise that: and those bastards said that too But you can spend a lifetime in the pursuit and you will lose nothing.
Fiona is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 02:57 AM   #282
fromdownunder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Normal Dude View Post
Please tell me this is your idea of a graceful exit from the forum.
We can only hope.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:00 AM   #283
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Maja View Post
Rwalsh, did I understand correctly that you have found the Wikipedia articles on Carcassonne and Narbonne difficult to decipher?

By "decipher" he means "twist to fit the quatrain".

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:05 AM   #284
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Rwalsh View Post
But one of them is not from same father.

I state that one of them is not from same Father.
And That the younger will be the new Heir after his father.

But Nostradamus wrote there would be four of them, of which two would not be from the same father. Why do you not believe what Nostradamus wrote?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:15 AM   #285
Cuddles
Decoy

Mod WarningThreads merged. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.
Posted By:Cuddles
Old 4th October 2010, 03:22 AM   #286
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I'll bet he never saw that coming.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:31 AM   #287
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets

And I tell you that though I see you only by letter and do not cultivate your acquaintance, yet when I shut my eyes I recall your physical appearance, your singular honesty, goodness, faith, probity, learning and erudition.
I call Poe's Law. Rwalsh suddenly learns how to spell and punctuate when trying to make a humorous point.
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:34 AM   #288
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Akenhaten
I'll bet he never saw that coming.
I'll bet he can find a Nostrodamus quatrain which, after years of study, can be deciphered as predicting it.

Last edited by Pixel42; 4th October 2010 at 03:35 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:37 AM   #289
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Femke View Post
I call Poe's Law. Rwalsh suddenly learns how to spell and punctuate when trying to make a humorous point.
I assumed it was a quotation. I just googled it, and guess what:

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/nost...tertojean.html
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:55 AM   #290
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I assumed it was a quotation. I just googled it, and guess what:

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/nost...tertojean.html

Obviously written with you in mind though.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 04:21 AM   #291
dafydd
Banned

The gullible teenager
Will flood a forum
Shoe-horning and retro-fitting
Teeth will gnash and hissy fits will ensue.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 04:40 AM   #292
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Nostradafydd!

Old 4th October 2010, 04:59 AM   #293
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Nostradafydd!
I spared you from the original medieval Welsh quatrain.I can sum up all the quatrains for you.

"Sometime,somewhere,something might happen.It is up to future generations to shoe-horn events into the garbage that I have set down.Watch out for me in your dreams.Over and out."

Wise words from the great seer Nostradafydd.

Last edited by dafydd; 4th October 2010 at 05:32 AM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 06:08 AM   #294
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

There is only one thing left to say.

YOU ARE WRONG JAMES RANDI!!!!!!!
About what?
Please, elaborate.
Old 4th October 2010, 06:36 AM   #295
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Yes but James Randi has not posted here for years, and had minimum presence when he did. This forum has nothing to do with Randi, except that it bears the name.
I think I'd say that the forum has a lot to do with Randi, but Randi doesn't have much to do with the forum.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 07:02 AM   #296
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Agreed. The forum is hosted and paid for by the James Randi Educational Foundation, but Randi himself doesn't post here very much.
Old 4th October 2010, 08:28 AM   #297
Ririon
Cool cat

Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Apology I think you owe Ririon?
Poetry.

Apology's apology accepted. No flowers or chocolate necessary. A beer or a donation to JREF will do just fine.
Old 4th October 2010, 08:32 AM   #298
Noztradamus
Master Poster

~~~~~
Your spelling, punctuation, grammar, syntax and general sentence structure are atrocious and have been reported to the relevant authority.
~~~~~

Grammar Nazi
Old 4th October 2010, 11:19 AM   #299
Apology
Reader's of the Boden Codex

Originally Posted by Nostradamus
Century 10, Quatrain 10
Un troll va s'aventurer
de dessous le pont ça va venir
il inspire le rire plutôt que la peur
jusqu'à la saint-glinglin
And the translation:

Originally Posted by Google Translate
A troll will venture out
from beneath its bridge it will come
it will inspire laughter rather than fear
until the cows come home.
As true today as the day it was written
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 11:57 AM   #300
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

Are you standing on the back of a train, speeding off to the horizon as you shake your fist at Randi who stands, dusty and worn, but still ready for the fight, watching you receed in the distance as he chuckles softly to himself? Because that's the mental image I'm getting here.

I watch too many westerns.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 02:11 PM   #301
bookitty
Philosopher

Playing with the quatrains of Nostradamus can be great fun. Take Apology's pop-culture deciphers for example. Great stuff right there. The quatrains can even inspire one to brush up on history (I had to look up Edward VIII, I thought he was a Charles.) I totally understand the interest.

What I don't understand is wrapping one's ego around it. In the 450 years since they came out, at least a gazillion people have tried their hand at breaking the code and, in their time, they all came up with the "right" answer.

Rwalsh, why are you so invested in your deciphers that you are unwilling to examine them critically? Why is maintaining your answer more important than learning something?
Old 4th October 2010, 03:44 PM   #302
kerikiwi
Philosopher

... read everything that Nostradamus writes and ask him.
I am not the first to point out to you that we can't ask him, because he is dead.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 09:51 PM   #303
lopeyschools
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
I am not the first to point out to you that we can't ask him, because he is dead.
Ah yes, but now we have mighty Nostradafydd. Hail great one ! Bearer of much truths! His first prophecy (or history or comment or drunken poetry)

"Sometime,somewhere,something might happen. It is up to future generations to shoe-horn events into the garbage that I have set down.Watch out for me in your dreams.Over and out."

- Nostradafydd
lopeyschools is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 11:47 PM   #304
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Mae'n brydgell ac mae'r brochgim stwd
Yn gimblo a gyrian yn y mhello:
Pob cólomrws yn féddabwd,
A'r hoch oma'n chwibruo.

- Nostradafydd?

Old 4th October 2010, 11:53 PM   #305
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

I shall not post anylonger.
I can not, answer everyones questions but I try my best.

*Flounce*

Which quatrain predicted that?
Old 5th October 2010, 03:01 AM   #306
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Originally Posted by nathan View Post
*Flounce*

Which quatrain predicted that?
All of them! If you decipher them in a particular way.
Old 5th October 2010, 03:47 AM   #307
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Rwalsh has just re-appeared in the MDC subforum to declare that "There is no million dollars". So it seems there was more than one thing left to say after all.
Old 5th October 2010, 05:12 AM   #308
Evolved Wookie
A rigidly defined area of doubt and uncertainty

Please forgive a brief OT question; the OP has powerfully reminded me of a thread which I have a whim to revisit, but can not, for the life of me, actually find.

Could someone PM me (or just post here) a link to the ETcorngod thread?

Thanks in advance; a cuddle and a cookie are offered to those who can help*!

*: This is a genuine offer, although I do require you to collect them from me.

"No. Liars aren't creative." - Justinian2
Evolved Wookie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 05:21 AM   #309
dafydd
Banned

Mae'n brydgell ac mae'r brochgim stwd
Yn gimblo a gyrian yn y mhello:
Pob cólomrws yn féddabwd,
A'r hoch oma'n chwibruo.

- Nostradafydd?
Lewys Ap Carroll.
Old 5th October 2010, 05:24 AM   #310
DC
Banned

Quote:
Nostradamus predict the death of Princess Diana, The Queen, And for the Heir!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No he did not.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 05:46 AM   #311
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
Originally Posted by Nostradamus
Century 10, Quatrain 10
Un troll va s'aventurer
de dessous le pont ça va venir
il inspire le rire plutôt que la peur
jusqu'à la saint-glinglin le marteau du Darat tombe.

Predictable

Old 5th October 2010, 05:52 AM   #312
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Evolved Wookie View Post
Please forgive a brief OT question; the OP has powerfully reminded me of a thread which I have a whim to revisit, but can not, for the life of me, actually find.

Could someone PM me (or just post here) a link to the ETcorngod thread?

Thanks in advance; a cuddle and a cookie are offered to those who can help*!

*: This is a genuine offer, although I do require you to collect them from me.

rut rut rut

Old 5th October 2010, 06:44 AM   #313
Evolved Wookie

You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir.

...sorry...dead god...you're a gentle-dead-god and a dead-scholar-god, lord...

Evolved Wookie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 07:00 AM   #314
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Just remember my cookie.

Old 5th October 2010, 07:24 AM   #315
Evolved Wookie

Just remember my cookie.

Fondly, I assure you!

Old 5th October 2010, 08:14 AM   #316
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader

I shall not post anylonger.
Six pages and finally a prediction that comes true. Nostradamus was a git, but Rwalsh obviously has the gift.

Don't you wish someone had slapped baby Hitler really really hard? [i] Dr. Buzzo 02/13 [i]
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 10:39 AM   #317
Apology

Never forget
"When I began to talk with him, I could not help thinking that he was not really wise, although he was thought wise by many, and wiser still by himself; and I went and tried to explain to him that he thought himself wise, but was not really wise; and the consequence was that he hated me, and his enmity was shared by several who were present and heard me." - Plato, Apology
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 12:38 PM   #318
malbui
Beauf

There's a quatrain that's being puzzling me for years but I think it suddenly makes sense. With modernised spelling, it runs:

"Un nouveau débarque à la toile sans araignée
Raconte n'importe quoi et puis se sauve
Laissant derrière, dans le royaume du Chaud Vieillard
Des habitués morts de rire"

With hindsight it's all so simple.
Old 5th October 2010, 03:56 PM   #319
Apology

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
There's a quatrain that's being puzzling me for years but I think it suddenly makes sense. With modernised spelling, it runs:

"Un nouveau débarque à la toile sans araignée
Raconte n'importe quoi et puis se sauve
Laissant derrière, dans le royaume du Chaud Vieillard
Des habitués morts de rire"

With hindsight it's all so simple.
LOL! (or as the French would say) Ehn ehn ehn ehn!
Old 6th October 2010, 11:25 AM   #320
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Damn you, Pharaoh. It's been just long enough since I last ventured into that web of silliness that I've forgotten some of the finer moments, so now I must read it again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal