ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 11th October 2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Parasitic
Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 41
Creationism Should Not Be Taught In Public Schools(Grade 9 Persuasive Essay)

In the last 2 hours, I wrote a small persuasive essay on why creationism should not be taught in school. It's due tomorrow. Give me your best.

Creationism should not be taught in public schools. Many people in north America believe that creationism is a valid scientific theory, And it should be taught alongside evolution in schools all across Canada and America. There are many reasons why it should not be taught in public schools, Here is a couple of reasons why.

Creationism is not science, It is a religious belief. The amount of supporting documentation of this is astounding. First off, In order for creationism to be science, you must be able to make a hypothesis, . This hypothesis must be testable and falsifiable. It must be able to make predictions that can be compared to the real world and determined true of false. Creationism cannot provide this, Furthermore, All of the predictions creationism make are not testable. They make no checkable claims on how to identify the design, the designer. Or the designers motives and goals. As a result, directly off the jump creationism cannot be classified as science. And if it was, it would be at the same level of Astrology, Alchemy, And reincarnation.

Secondly, If you teach creationism, alongside evolution, you must also teach alternative theories. Oregon state Physics graduate Bobby Henderson made this quite clear with his open letter that was sent to the Kansas state board of education about his beliefs on Pastafarianism. This letter states, in a satirical protest why if you teach Christianities point on creationism, you must also teach the other hundreds of theories, including his theory on creationism, Known as Pastafarianism, Or the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.His theory states that the world was created by 1 one specific, unambiguous deity. Known as the flying spaghetti monster. Although his letter states that the intelligent designer movement uses unspecific, ambiguous designers, and that any conceivable deities can fulfill that role. This whole letter can be found at http://www.venganza.com/about/open-letter/ .

Lastly, Christian creationism is not the happy loving religion that everyone thinks. Infact it condones rape, murder, Torture, and more. At this point things get very controversial so I am not going to get into much detail, but here is a small, extremely limited list of atrocities committed in the name of Christian creationism.
-6th century, Thousands of pagans were slain
-Emperor Karl(Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 saxons unwilling to convert to Christianity beheaded.
-Battle of belgrad, 1456. 80,000 Turkish Muslims were slain.
-Battle of Askalon 1099, 200,000 heathens slain in the name of Jesus Christ.
This list is very small, although other people against Christian creationism have made a more elaborate list that can be found at www.notachristian.org/christianatrocities.html

In conclusion, Teaching the false, religious, biased, theory alongside evolution in public schools, is just absurd. And I believe I have provided enough evidence as to why that is. Creationism is wrong, it condones horrible atrocities, It has no scientific value, and is laughed at within the real scientific community. And that is why in my opinion, I think it should not be taught in public schools.

Help me edit please?
Or if you wanna try to debunk it, that is cool to.
Parasitic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,712
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
In the last 2 hours, I wrote a small persuasive essay on why creationism should not be taught in school. It's due tomorrow. Give me your best.

Creationism should not be taught in public schools. Many people in North America believe that creationism is a valid scientific theory, and it should be taught alongside evolution in schools all across Canada and America. There are many reasons why it should not be taught in public schools; here are a couple of reasons why.

Creationism is not science, it is a religious belief. The amount of supporting documentation of this is astounding. Firstly, in order for creationism to be science, you must be able to make a hypothesis. This hypothesis must be testable and falsifiable. It must be able to make predictions that can be compared to the real world and determined true or false. Creationism cannot provide this. Furthermore, all of the predictions creationism make are not testable. They make no checkable claims on how to identify the design, the designer, or the designer's motives and goals. As a result, directly off the jump creationism cannot be classified as science. And if it was, it would be at the same level of Astrology, Alchemy, and reincarnation.

Secondly, if you teach creationism alongside evolution, you must also teach alternative theories. Oregon State Physics graduate Bobby Henderson made this quite clear with his open letter that was sent to the Kansas State Board of Education about his beliefs on Pastafarianism. This letter states, in a satirical protest, if you teach Christianity's point on creationism, you must also teach the hundreds of other theories, including his theory on creationism.Known as Pastafarianism, or the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, his theory states that the world was created by 1 one specific, unambiguous deity; Known as the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Although Further, his letter states that the intelligent designer movement uses unspecific, ambiguous designers, and that any conceivable deities can fulfil that role. This whole letter can be found at http://www.venganza.com/about/open-letter/ .

Lastly, Christian creationism is not the happy loving religion that everyone thinks. In fact it condones rape, murder, torture, and more. At this point things get very controversial so I am not going to get into much detail, but here is a small, extremely limited list of atrocities committed in the name of Christian creationism.
-6th century, Thousands of pagans were slain
-Emperor Karl(Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 saxons unwilling to convert to Christianity beheaded.
-Battle of Belgrade, 1456. 80,000 Turkish Muslims were slain.
-Battle of Askalon 1099, 200,000 heathens slain in the name of Jesus Christ.This list is very small, although other people against Christian creationism have made a more elaborate list that can be found at www.notachristian.org/christianatrocities.html

In conclusion, teaching the false, religious, biased, theory alongside evolution in public schools, is just absurd. And I believe I have provided enough evidence as to why that is. Creationism is wrong, it condones horrible atrocities, it has no scientific value, and is laughed at within the real scientific community. And that is why In my opinion, I think it should not be taught in public schools.

Help me edit please?
Or if you wanna try to debunk it, that is cool too.
I don't think you have evidenced that Creationism, rather than Christianity or Christians, are responsible for the list of atrocities you have included. I think that whole section should be left out, it weakens your argument as it's not a consequence of Creationism per se.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Last edited by Agatha; 11th October 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,712
How old is grade 9, btw?
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Vic Vega
Graduate Poster
 
Vic Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,119
Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
How old is grade 9, btw?
About 15.
__________________
"The sleeping and the dead
Are but as pictures. 'Tis the eye of childhood
That fears a painted devil."

--Shakespeare - Macbeth
Vic Vega is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 02:34 PM   #5
gph
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 349
Parasitic, you're alot more up on this stuff than I was in Grade 9. I remember my grade 9 public school English teacher being offended that I didn't believe in gods. She asked me why and my "insightful" answers was "because I think religion is stupid". This was at the beginning of the school year. I can't say she ever grew to like me but she seemed more tolerant as the year went on.

My suggestion is to drop the 4th paragraph because it opens the door to hijack your solid main arguments.

Edit: My English teacher probed me about god beliefs because she found out I took the newly formed evolutionary anthropology class as an elective.

Last edited by gph; 11th October 2010 at 02:39 PM.
gph is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Dragonrock
Militant Elvisian Tacoist
 
Dragonrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kotzebue, Alaska. A.K.A. Santa's first stop on his way out.
Posts: 10,005
As others have said, leave out the bit about christian atrocities. It makes your paper a general attack on christianity rather than a specific rebuttal to creationism.
__________________
...it rings a bell in my head that just don't chime...--pillory

There is no God but the Great Taco In The Sky and Elvis is his prophet.
Dragonrock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Marduk
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,197
this is one of the best reasons I have seen not to teach it (apart from that its crap obviously)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clergy_Letter_Project
It proves that creationism is not a Christian belief but in fact represents the beliefs of religious fundementalists. And schools should not do anything to further the aims of extremists, ergo if they teach fundementalist Christian beliefs, shouldn't they also balance that by teaching the beliefs of fundementalist Islamic groups such as Al Quaeda that Americans are minions of the great satan and need to be exterminated, and hijacking airplanes and flying them into buildings is a good way to do it ?
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Parasitic
Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 41
Quote:
As others have said, leave out the bit about christian atrocities. It makes your paper a general attack on christianity rather than a specific rebuttal to creationism.
Quote:
I don't think you have evidenced that Creationism, rather than Christianity or Christians, are responsible for the list of atrocities you have included. I think that whole section should be left out, it weakens your argument as it's not a consequence of Creationism per se.
I understand what you are both saying.
Although my argument there is, Creationism is a huge part of Christianity. Christianity has some major flaws ie; Rape, murder.. so on. So, why would we teach something so wrong in school?

Although that is really the paragraph were i take my perspective, and personally attack Christianity. Which in the pre-requisite sheet, is required. It says, Make one of your arguments a personal anecdote, A regular anecdote. A fictional anecdote, OR Your point of view on the issue you are arguing.

Quote:
How old is grade 9, btw?
I am 14.
Parasitic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 03:14 PM   #9
cwalner
Philosopher
 
cwalner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,104
I would use something other than Pastafarianism as the counterpoint to Abrahamic creationism. Pastafarianism is a mock religion that nobody truly adheres to. This weakens the persuasiveness of the argument and can even be seen as a strawman.

If you want something approachable to North Americans, I would suggest using Norse or Greek creation myths. This has the advantage of showing that even though these beliefs were once as widely held in their own place and time as Christianity is in North America, they still did not constitute science.

If you want something that is actually part of a religion with modern adherents, the Hindu creation myth would likely be best. This has the advantage of addressing Church/State separation since only teaching the creation myth of one group of religions, you are officially giving those religions preference to other, which is a constitutional no-no in public schools
__________________
Vecini - Inconceivable!
Inigo - You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
cwalner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 03:16 PM   #10
BobTheDonkey
Illuminator
 
BobTheDonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,501
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
I understand what you are both saying.
Although my argument there is, Creationism is a huge part of Christianity. Christianity has some major flaws ie; Rape, murder.. so on. So, why would we teach something so wrong in school?
That, my young friend, is an argument for another paper. This paper is about Creationism and should focus solely on that subject. While most of us on this forum would agree with your comments in the 4th paragraph, this is the wrong time/place


Quote:
Although that is really the paragraph were i take my perspective, and personally attack Christianity. Which in the pre-requisite sheet, is required. It says, Make one of your arguments a personal anecdote, A regular anecdote. A fictional anecdote, OR Your point of view on the issue you are arguing.
Technically, the whole essay is your point of view on the whole thing . Just because you have supporting evidence for your point of view does not mean it's not your point of view...
__________________
TSIG: Everyone wants to be 'special' but nobody wants to admit they ride the bus.
BobTheDonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 03:18 PM   #11
cwalner
Philosopher
 
cwalner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,104
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
I understand what you are both saying.
Although my argument there is, Creationism is a huge part of Christianity. Christianity has some major flaws ie; Rape, murder.. so on. So, why would we teach something so wrong in school?

Although that is really the paragraph were i take my perspective, and personally attack Christianity. Which in the pre-requisite sheet, is required. It says, Make one of your arguments a personal anecdote, A regular anecdote. A fictional anecdote, OR Your point of view on the issue you are arguing.
Regardless, it still weakens your argument. I say combine personal and fictional anecdote and talk about how, as an athiest, you felt left-out in Kindergarten because the teacher taught creationism and because you argued for evolution, the other students teased you and called you a monkey.
__________________
Vecini - Inconceivable!
Inigo - You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
cwalner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Marduk
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,197
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
Creationism is a huge part of Christianity. Christianity has some major flaws ie; Rape, murder.. so on. So, why would we teach something so wrong in school?
Creationists are very much in the minority when it comes to Christian belief, Rape Murder etc are actually against Christian values, the people that do that in the Christian Gods name are usually criminals or terrorists who do not reflect the beliefs of the majority of believers who generally are nice, quiet law abiding citizens

if youre going to attempt to claim creationism shouldn't be taught because Christians are murderers and rapists youre not going to get a very good mark.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 04:05 PM   #13
Parasitic
Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Creationists are very much in the minority when it comes to Christian belief, Rape Murder etc are actually against Christian values, the people that do that in the Christian Gods name are usually criminals or terrorists who do not reflect the beliefs of the majority of believers who generally are nice, quiet law abiding citizens

if youre going to attempt to claim creationism shouldn't be taught because Christians are murderers and rapists youre not going to get a very good mark.
Seem quite quick to defend Christianity.
I dont say that because you disagree, i say that because you looked past the other 2 arguments i proposed.
Parasitic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 04:13 PM   #14
Marduk
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,197
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
Seem quite quick to defend Christianity.
I dont say that because you disagree, i say that because you looked past the other 2 arguments i proposed.
I am not a christian or a believer in any type of flood God, so I have no pro monotheism bias at all. What I said was factual. If you are having problems with accepting the facts and using them to your advantage then you will have problems openly debating anyone on any subject.


would you like a great anecdote from a recognisable and factual source about the evils of religion ?
try
"Nearly all serial killers are very devout men who were raised by members of Pentecostal sects, fundamentalist Catholics or were 'hard-shell' Baptists and Methodists."
Thats from an FBI criminal profiler

btw I am not aware that I have looked past anything, this is my third post in this thread, I am just mentioning things that need to be improved, if I don't mention something its because it doesnt need any help or because someone already mentioned it

Last edited by Marduk; 11th October 2010 at 04:20 PM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 04:28 PM   #15
cwalner
Philosopher
 
cwalner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,104
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
Seem quite quick to defend Christianity.
I dont say that because you disagree, i say that because you looked past the other 2 arguments i proposed.
You posted here, stating you were looking for constructive criticism. You should listen to it when it is offered.

This assignment is for a persuasive essay. The fact is that most likely your audience (the teacher grading your essay, and the class if presented orally) will have a bias towards Christianity. As such attacking Christianity for being evil (that it condones rape, murder, and torture) is likely to insult your audience and cause them to look less favorably on the other arguments in the essay. Therefore, it will not be very persuasive and will get a lower grade, regardless of whether it is factual or not.

Many of us already agree with your position on both creationism and Christianity, so don't need to be persuaded. However, if your goal is to persuade a predominantly Christian audience that creationism should not be taught in public schools, then attacking the moral authority of Christianity itself is not a successful strategy.
__________________
Vecini - Inconceivable!
Inigo - You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
cwalner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 04:31 PM   #16
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy
 
Gawdzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern St. Louis County, Missouri.
Posts: 21,942
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
"Nearly all serial killers are very devout men who were raised by members of Pentecostal sects, fundamentalist Catholics or were 'hard-shell' Baptists and Methodists."
Thats from an FBI criminal profiler
Park Deetz? Did the profiler say the men became serial killers because they were raised in those cults? If not it's rather like saying Stalin killed all those people in the name of atheism?
__________________
World War II Diplomatic and Political Resources
Hyperwar, WWII Military History
Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.
Morgan Freeman does the voice-over on all my posts.
Gawdzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 04:36 PM   #17
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 12,701
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
I understand what you are both saying.
Although my argument there is, Creationism is a huge part of Christianity. Christianity has some major flaws ie; Rape, murder.. so on. So, why would we teach something so wrong in school?
Because your goal with the essay is to show Creationism is wrong, not that everything is wrong with Christianity - at least, your opening says so.

ETA: and in addition to Marduk's remark on that, the RC Church, the largest Christian denomination, has endorsed evolution.

Instead of the Pastafarianism, you could use Russell's Teapot if you really want to impress your teacher. Though that one fits better in the paragraph before, where you argue that the designer of Creationism is not known.

Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
Although that is really the paragraph were i take my perspective, and personally attack Christianity. Which in the pre-requisite sheet, is required. It says, Make one of your arguments a personal anecdote, A regular anecdote. A fictional anecdote, OR Your point of view on the issue you are arguing.
So, you don't really need an anecdote, but only clearly state your point of view on the issue? You're doing the latter quite fine already.
__________________
Proud member of the Solipsistic Autosycophant's Group

Last edited by ddt; 11th October 2010 at 04:41 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 04:37 PM   #18
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 12,701
Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Park Deetz? Did the profiler say the men became serial killers because they were raised in those cults? If not it's rather like saying Stalin killed all those people in the name of atheism?
Duh, we all know that Stalin got those inclinations while he was enrolled at seminary.
__________________
Proud member of the Solipsistic Autosycophant's Group
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 04:43 PM   #19
Marduk
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,197
Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Park Deetz? Did the profiler say the men became serial killers because they were raised in those cults? If not it's rather like saying Stalin killed all those people in the name of atheism?
Stalin was an atheist ?
since when, I heard he trained as an eastern orthodox priest.
Personally I have always understood that rape and murder were human traits and not endemic to any of the major religions, but thats outside the remit of the essay parasitic has been asked to write. He was asked specifically
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
Although that is really the paragraph were i take my perspective, and personally attack Christianity. Which in the pre-requisite sheet, is required. It says, Make one of your arguments a personal anecdote, A regular anecdote. A fictional anecdote, OR Your point of view on the issue you are arguing.
and I think that sentence carries the weight that people who react in extremist ways often use religion as an excuse, this adds weight to not giving time to extremist religious beliefs imho. I have no idea wether or not the quote intimates any further meaning than that on the part of the profiler, it is an anecdote that fits the requirement of the essay instruction.

Next you'll be telling me that H****r (name obscured to prevent humourous derail) wasn't really a catholic.
hehe
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 05:05 PM   #20
154
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,887
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Creationists are very much in the minority when it comes to Christian belief, Rape Murder etc are actually against Christian values, the people that do that in the Christian Gods name are usually criminals or terrorists who do not reflect the beliefs of the majority of believers who generally are nice, quiet law abiding citizens

if youre going to attempt to claim creationism shouldn't be taught because Christians are murderers and rapists youre not going to get a very good mark.
Wow.

Never thought I'd say this.

Thank you, Marduk.
154 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 05:35 PM   #21
Marduk
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10,197
Originally Posted by 154 View Post
Wow.

Never thought I'd say this.

Thank you, Marduk.
save it fundie,

when I said the same for Islam your personal bigotry wouldnt let you agree

Last edited by Marduk; 11th October 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 05:49 PM   #22
TimCallahan
Philosopher
 
TimCallahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,293
The reason creationism shouldn't be taught alongside evolutionism is the same reason that 2 + 2 = 5 shouldn't be taught alongside 2 + 2 + 4.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 06:09 PM   #23
bikerdruid
hermit hippy weirdo
 
bikerdruid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,359
Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
The reason creationism shouldn't be taught alongside evolutionism is the same reason that 2 + 2 = 5 shouldn't be taught alongside 2 + 2 + 4.
excellent analogy.
__________________
Subvert the Dominant Paradigm!!
bikerdruid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 06:34 PM   #24
steve s
Illuminator
 
steve s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,662
Or the same reason why the Flat Earth Society shouldn't be invited into geography classrooms. Or why the holocaust deniers aren't invited into history classes.

Stick to the reasons why creationism isn't science. Dump the paragraph about Christian atrocities. And in the paragraph about alternative theories, you might want to find another word than 'theory.' Creationism, and all those other things you mentioned, doesn't even rise to the level of theory. Calling them 'theories' only confuses the issue. Ceationists love to say "Evolution is only a theory." Since all of science is theory, that's all it needs to be.

Steve S
__________________
"Nature abhors a moron." -- H. L. Mencken
steve s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 09:05 PM   #25
Parasitic
Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
You posted here, stating you were looking for constructive criticism. You should listen to it when it is offered.

This assignment is for a persuasive essay. The fact is that most likely your audience (the teacher grading your essay, and the class if presented orally) will have a bias towards Christianity. As such attacking Christianity for being evil (that it condones rape, murder, and torture) is likely to insult your audience and cause them to look less favorably on the other arguments in the essay. Therefore, it will not be very persuasive and will get a lower grade, regardless of whether it is factual or not.

Many of us already agree with your position on both creationism and Christianity, so don't need to be persuaded. However, if your goal is to persuade a predominantly Christian audience that creationism should not be taught in public schools, then attacking the moral authority of Christianity itself is not a successful strategy.
If i believe the criticism is formed by looking passed the points of the essay, i am going to dispute it.

Your second paragraph there really made me think, If i was in a different situation, I would revise EVERYTHING i have on the essay. Although i am not.

I'd have to say, the mark i will get on this will not be a true mark. It will be an opinionated mark. I am willing to take that risk. Although this way the mark is a either an 4. Or a 1. Grammatically, and organizationally, i have followed the rubric at the 4 level to a tee.

When the teacher taught the lesson, He said. Think of something controversial... Now think of something controversial, that no-one else in the class is going to think of. Considering the class is all still in grade 9, And not interested in the same things as me.(ie: Discussing religion in an adult community) i decided to pick this topic.

The only reason why i personally attacked Christianity is because it is a Persuasive essay, And also. An opinionated piece.

From now on, when giving me help. Remember this is grade 9, Although you all have a very interesting opinions.
Parasitic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 10:26 PM   #26
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go
 
quixotecoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,963
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
The only reason why i personally attacked Christianity is because it is a Persuasive essay, And also. An opinionated piece.

From now on, when giving me help. Remember this is grade 9, Although you all have a very interesting opinions.
I would expect an essay in grade 9 to focus on the topic.

If the topic is convincing the audience that global warming is real, I don't want to hear about how Republicans are fundamentally dishonest and lied to get us into Iraq.

If the topic is that gun ownership should be restricted, I don't want to hear how the NRA is full of ignorant, uncultured rednecks.

If the topic is that restrictions on logging should be relaxed, I don't want to hear that environmentalists are a bunch of dirty, hippie stoners.

If you want to write an essay to convince people that Christianity is bad (part from needed a better set of arguments) that's fine, but making 1/5 of an essay this short an off-topic rant is not fine.

If you want to improve this essay, drop that paragraph and use the wordage to give contrast evolutionary theory with your description of creationism as not making testable claims.

You might also put something in that justifies the statement, "Secondly, if you teach creationism alongside evolution, you must also teach alternative theories." As it stands, that's just an unsupported assertion with an unstated assumption that creationism is specifically Christian.

You make that leap and assume the reader will follow you, but you've never substantiated that creationism is Christian in the first place, so why are the alternatives non-Christian? Even if they are, why do we need to teach alternatives?
__________________
If people needed video games to live, a national single payer plan to fund those purchases would be a great idea.

Last edited by quixotecoyote; 11th October 2010 at 10:27 PM.
quixotecoyote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 10:38 PM   #27
roger
Penultimate Amazing
 
roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 11,293
While I mostly agree with your conclusions, I can't say I find the essay persuasive.

That's because you make assertions, rather than argue your point. For example, you state that science requires testability, etc. Of course, that is correct. But then you say creationism offers nothing testable or falsifiable. Okay, I agree, but I agree because I already know this. You need to offer examples. I understand you cannot make an ironclad case on one sheet of paper, but you offer only assertions, not evidence.

I would cut the latter half of the paper dealing with non-creationism topics, and replace it with drawing out your main argument. Along the lines of (I paraphrase):

Scientific theories are testable and falsifiable. (give an example). Explain why testing allows us to know something is true. Explain why falsifiable is important. Show how the example meets both those criteria.

In contrast, Creationism offers arguments that are neither testable or falsifiable. For example, consider the argument X. Explain why X is not testable or falsifiable.



Note that I didn't have to assert that Creationism was a religious belief, I did not assert it was false, etc. I just demonstrated that it was not science. So, I would go with that, and finish with a final paragraph arguing that given how far behind our schools are compared to other countries we need to restrict our science classes to teaching solidly proven science. Creationism hasn't meet that criteria, so it should be kept out of the classroom.

Of course you haven't proven that evolution is solidly proven, but you really don't have room for that. But the argument is to *not* teach creationism, so I think you are fine there.
__________________
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 10:42 PM   #28
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go
 
quixotecoyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,963
Originally Posted by roger View Post
That's because you make assertions, rather than argue your point. For example, you state that science requires testability, etc. Of course, that is correct. But then you say creationism offers nothing testable or falsifiable. Okay, I agree, but I agree because I already know this. You need to offer examples. I understand you cannot make an ironclad case on one sheet of paper, but you offer only assertions, not evidence.
I think for the length of the essay, he gave enough examples of creationisms non-testability: "They make no checkable claims on how to identify the design, the designer. Or the designers motives and goals."

As I said above though, it would be good to contrast this with the scientific approach.
__________________
If people needed video games to live, a national single payer plan to fund those purchases would be a great idea.
quixotecoyote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 10:58 PM   #29
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing
 
MG1962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,927
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
I understand what you are both saying.
Although my argument there is, Creationism is a huge part of Christianity. Christianity has some major flaws ie; Rape, murder.. so on. So, why would we teach something so wrong in school?
Actually no - the majority shareholder of Christianity is the Roman Catholic Church, they are actually bigger than all the other Christian denominations combined

They dont subscribe to Creationism
MG1962 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2010, 08:06 AM   #30
cwalner
Philosopher
 
cwalner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,104
Parasitic,

I know that it is too late to edit further, based on the due date, but would like to ask you a favor.

Please post the final version of the essay that you turned in, and when received back, the grade and any coments from your teacher. I am curious to see if our suggestions helped you in this assignment.
__________________
Vecini - Inconceivable!
Inigo - You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
cwalner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2010, 11:51 AM   #31
Abe_the_Man
Thinker
 
Abe_the_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 205
I know it's probably too late but I agree that the Christian atrocities part should definitely be cut away. The first thing I thought when I read your statistics was "why is this relevant?". It would be more suitable for a paper on why Christianity is bad. Creationism and Christianity are two separate things. A person can be a Christian without being a creationist. A person can be a creationist without being a Christian (Vedic Literalists, fundamentalist Muslims etc). What you basically said was that creationism is not science and followed that up with a very basic definition of what science is. You then went on to say that creationism is a major part of Christianity which is not true. Rather Christianity is a big part of creationism in predominantly Christian countries. You then went on to assert that Christians condone murder and rape (yes it's in the bible but again this has nothing to do with creationism) and list of people killed by Christianity.

Essentially there are two statements being made in your essay:
1) Creationism should not be taught in school because it is not science or fact based
2) Creationism should not be taught in school because the bible says some nasty things. Also Christians have committed atrocities in the past.

Your second statement is not logical. You'd do well to expand the first statement with examples of good and bad science and relate them to the creationism/evolution debate.
__________________
Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's? -Nietzsche
Abe_the_Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:35 PM   #32
Parasitic
Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 41
After editing all grammar, I received an 88% on this essay.
Parasitic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:43 PM   #33
Gawdzilla
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy
 
Gawdzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern St. Louis County, Missouri.
Posts: 21,942
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Or the same reason why the Flat Earth Society shouldn't be invited into geography classrooms. Or why the holocaust deniers aren't invited into history classes.
Hey! I've been a member of the Flat Earth Society since 1981. I hung my membership certificate up in the Quartermasters' berthing on board USS Reeves in the Persian Gulf.
__________________
World War II Diplomatic and Political Resources
Hyperwar, WWII Military History
Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.
Morgan Freeman does the voice-over on all my posts.
Gawdzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:50 PM   #34
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 5,712
Originally Posted by Parasitic View Post
After editing all grammar, I received an 88% on this essay.
Glad to hear it.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.