ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th November 2010, 06:06 AM   #1
mushy
Banned

Fact or Faked: Paranormal files. Has anyone watched this rubbish?

They show it on the syfy channel here in the UK. I'm only after watching an episode (ive only seen two). Basically a bunch of investigators follow up on weird or odd footage and try to see if it could be real.

The really annoying thing about it is, that they are the worst investigators in history and out of the 4 cases ive seen. They suggest that each on has "something weird going on". The latest one was a guy who apparently asked ghosts questions and then took a picture and the answer to the question was written on the picture. They were unable to debunk this because their efforts at double exposure (in the back of a van under a blanket) were not as clear as the people in question. They also ignored the fact that the people in question told them a psychic had said there was a body buried under the house and that was who was communicating with them. When they looked under the house they found bones. However they were the bones of a cow and chicken. Which screams obvious hoax.

Yet they ignored this and concluded that there is something paranormal happenening. Complete rubbish.
mushy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I watch it for the heck of it. Yeah its fake.
Old 7th November 2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Learjet
Thinker

For a good laugh, check out the caretaker/cuter episode. They pronounced the "caretaker" video as unexplained when it was clearly a spider.

And the awful loud music. The show is actually worse than Ghost Hunters.
Learjet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Originally Posted by Learjet
The show is actually worse than Ghost Hunters.
This is not possible. Watching Ghost Hunters is like watching paint dry. This must be like watching dry paint dry.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Brattus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mushy View Post
They show it on the syfy channel here in the UK. I'm only after watching an episode (ive only seen two). Basically a bunch of investigators follow up on weird or odd footage and try to see if it could be real.

The really annoying thing about it is, that they are the worst investigators in history and out of the 4 cases ive seen. They suggest that each on has "something weird going on". The latest one was a guy who apparently asked ghosts questions and then took a picture and the answer to the question was written on the picture. They were unable to debunk this because their efforts at double exposure (in the back of a van under a blanket) were not as clear as the people in question. They also ignored the fact that the people in question told them a psychic had said there was a body buried under the house and that was who was communicating with them. When they looked under the house they found bones. However they were the bones of a cow and chicken. Which screams obvious hoax.

Yet they ignored this and concluded that there is something paranormal happenening. Complete rubbish.
It is either genuine paranormal activity or it is faked there is no other possible explanation!

Taking pictures of real ghost and trying to do double exposure under a blanket in a van are two different things.
Debunking does not apply here!

Cow and chicken bones are not the same as real ghost bones.
They did not dig deep enough.
Debunking does not apply here.

"Worst investigators in history?" Where is your data to back up this claim?
Have you run studies on every investigator that has ever lived?
Without that information for all you know they could be the 14th worst investigators in history.
Once again debunking does not apply here!

I typed it! So that is the way it is!
Agree with everything I type or agree with everything I type those are your choices!

Last edited by Brattus; 7th November 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

So you've watched a show and thought it was rubbish. Cool. Anything you'd like to discuss about it? Any questions you'd like to ask?

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 09:12 AM   #7
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
This is not possible. Watching Ghost Hunters is like watching paint dry. This must be like watching dry paint dry.

~~ Paul
And the paint is in the can!
"1000 ways to die" goes all "scientific" on myths also.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

It seems clear from the title that the programme's makers are starting from a false premise. The most likely explanation of most apparently paranormal phenomena - people being honestly mistaken - is not even being considered.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

I think they were having trouble with the alliteration if they included the third option. "Fact, Faked or Mistaken" doesn't have the same ring to it.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 10:35 AM   #10
phatred
Scholar

Ha, I glanced at Fact or Fact Paranormal Files on my tv guide and said to myself "I got a hundred bucks on fake".
phatred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 11:15 AM   #11
shandyjan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
I think they were having trouble with the alliteration if they included the third option. "Fact, Faked or Mistaken" doesn't have the same ring to it.
I think most of these shows would fall under fake or mistaken, but I don't hold my breath itll be in any of the titles or the declarations at the end!
Mushy, reading Sledge and Brattus..I'd say they want you to get a sense of humour! You seem to have no humour whatsoever for a young person, and you ignore posts to fight with with the same people, yet blame them!

Last edited by shandyjan; 7th November 2010 at 11:16 AM.
shandyjan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Lucian
Master Poster

And "Fact, Faked, Mistaken or We Don't Really Have Enough Data to Reach a Firm Conclusion" is even worse.

"The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club."
Oh, I like that; I like that very much.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 01:03 PM   #13
bookitty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mushy View Post

I don't have TV so no, I haven't watched the show and based on your description, I don't think I'll bother. It sounds really, really annoying.

The problem with most of the paranormal shows is that there's nowhere to go after a scientific conclusion. You can point out that orbs are dust, or that the heat from a living body will be visible to infra red for a long time, or that doors can creak and close on their own, etc. But what do you do for the second show? "Oh look it's another easily explained phenomena in a creepy dark place!"

These shows are relatively cheap to film and have some staying power. There is very little reason not to cheat or exaggerate.
Old 7th November 2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Zanders
Muse

I find it sad that there are shows like this all over the television channels polluting people's minds.

It seems like people aren't interested unless it's "paranormal", "mysterious" or "unexplained"
Zanders is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Oh, I like that; I like that very much.
Much as I'd like to take credit for it...

Old 7th November 2010, 11:07 PM   #16
mactonite
Critical Thinker

I have seen that silly little show. It holds about as much weight as Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal