ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags consciousness

Old 23rd November 2010, 04:00 PM   #41
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

Actually Alfa, all fun aside. I was the first person in the world to realize the link between science and spirituality, and here's the proof with a time stamp. ( this is me )

Last edited by Halfcentaur; 23rd November 2010 at 04:10 PM.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 04:23 PM   #42
alfa1
Banned

No wave function here: "The Tao of Physics" and "The Dancing Wu-Li Masters"
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 04:24 PM   #43
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
I am the first in the world who wrote a link between science and spirituality.
FALSE. Refer please to Genesis, chapter 1, verse 3, to wit...

"And God said,

... and there was light."

The most important question: Who am I?
FALSE.

The most important question is, "Where will I spend my eternity?" It was appointed unto man once to die after which is the judgement; this means that man cannot receive a second chance after death, to repent and to strengthen up his ways. Such an opportunity will pass forever after death. Do not loose it; especially because God has prepared for you an eternal salvation.
I found the answer:
I am a WAVE
FALSE.

For it is written: "... I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die..." -- John 11:25-26 (NIV)
... and the wave function is:
|ψ> = c1|Φ1> + c2|Φ2> + c3|Φ3> + c4|Φ4> + c5|Φ5> + c6|Φ6> + c7|Φ7>
FALSE.

Vorticity has addressed the mathematical shortcomings of your claim. To wit:
Originally Posted by Vorticity View Post
Are the 7 states |Φi > orthonormal? Are they complete? What Hilbert space do they span? Are the amplitudes ci fixed, or are they constrained by the observation of observables? Does the wave function |ψ> serve to completely specify the individual? If so, how can it be that a given human is constrained and characterized via the specification of a mere seven complex numbers?
The flaws of your claim are glaringly obvious to anyone with even a modicum of knowledge in theoretical physics, higher-order maths and theology.
are 7 states |Φi > because are 7 major chakras or energy centers.
Evidence, please? First prove that chakras exist, as this seems to be the basis for your entire claim.
Belief itself proves nothing.

Last edited by Fnord; 23rd November 2010 at 04:29 PM.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 04:33 PM   #44
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
What is it about electronic engineers that causes them to think they understand quantum mechanics better than physicists........

Overestimation of their current potential by distorting the applied field.
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 04:35 PM   #45
Zanders
Muse

Seconding what Fnord said. First prove to us that chakras exist.

You completely ignored it when I asked earlier.
Zanders is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:00 PM   #46
quadraginta
What was the question?

Originally Posted by Swagomatic View Post
Well, I was going to mention that, but now I don't have to. Thanks. As old Zeron was fond of saying, "you can state your wave, but you can't wave your state"

To be fair, it depends on whether or not someone presses charges ... in most jurisdictions, at any rate.

This is why the observer is so important to the quantum state.
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:21 PM   #47
quarky
Banned

I farted and burped simultaneously. For all i know, I am the first.
If you think its irrelevant, or easy, try to do it.
You can read about the experience on my blog, or buy the book and the t-shirt.

My ego swells with every moment I revel in this achievement, yet I remain humble and accessible.

How cool is that?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:25 PM   #48
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
I thought the primary equation was b4I4q ru/18 qt(pi)?
Quit posting my JREF password.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:26 PM   #49
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I worked 2 years to find a link between spirituality and science, for the wave function....
And I took 2 minutes to dismiss the whole enterprise.

That, my friend, is just good ol' American efficiency there.
marplots is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:34 PM   #50
ynot
Philosopher

I found the answer:
I am a WAVE and the wave function is:
WOW! You are a special and unique person! (just like everyone else).

Methinks someone forgot to take their medication today.
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:36 PM   #51
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giggywig View Post
You are obviously 8 generations ahead of him, so your equation must account for like 27 chakras!
I like to think of it as "eight louder".
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:58 PM   #52
The Kilted Yaksman
Sense Offender

I found the answer:
Nope.
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:05 PM   #53
Apathia
Illuminator

No! I am the first!
This very day I answered the ultimate question of poetry.

So what say you rhymes with the word 'orange?'
The answer I say is too great a challenge!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:35 PM   #54
LordoftheLeftHand
Dominus Sinistrae

This thread is a thinly veiled advertisement for a couple of books:
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/who-am-i/2294872
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...ing-god/238736
And courage never to submit or yield - Milton, Paradise Lost
LordoftheLeftHand is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:43 PM   #55
afslav
New Blood

And I bought four copies because I'm really interested in his ideas and I think they're just too advanced for me to understand with only one reading.

alfa, do your books address the wave equation this wave function is a solution for?

Last edited by afslav; 23rd November 2010 at 06:44 PM.
afslav is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:30 PM   #56
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
No! I am the first!
This very day I answered the ultimate question of poetry.

So what say you rhymes with the word 'orange?'
The answer I say is too great a challenge!
Trivial:

I'll paint this door a lovely orange
then hang the door upon the door hinge.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:39 PM   #57
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Overestimation of their current potential by distorting the applied field.
Watt? With great power comes great current squared times resistance.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:47 PM   #58
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by Zanders View Post
Seconding what Fnord said. First prove to us that chakras exist. You completely ignored it when I asked earlier.
It is in the nature of wooists to ignore requests for proof of their first assumptions, for they would rather be believed than ever actually prove their claims.
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:08 PM   #59
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
Trivial:

I'll paint this door a lovely orange
then hang the door upon the door hinge.
You are The First!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:16 PM   #60
Gilmar
Muse

Originally Posted by SumDood View Post
Would one test the polarity of a Bogin-time reversal module with bare hands and a volt-meter? Only if you wanted to disrupt the existing continuum belt!
YES, that's why they say i'm MAD, but i will SHOW THEM ALL!!!!
Gilmar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:22 PM   #61
The Man

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Watt? With great power comes great current squared times resistance.
Are you charging me with inducing an impedance to the conduction of a less reactive attenuation of insulated potentials? What The Farad? I’m phased by your capacitance for the permittivity of your own ohmnipotence.
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:36 PM   #62
Loss Leader
Opinionated Jerk

I AM THE FIRST TO WRITE THIS FUNCTION!

f(x) = [something completely made up] + [some complex math]

where x = the set of all nonsense that needs to look true

What is my Gladiator Profile?
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:06 PM   #63
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Oh goody, another physics crank
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:13 PM   #64
alfa1
Banned

Read at least a book about chakras...
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:16 PM   #65
AdMan
Philosopher

Read at least a few threads in this forum about what most skeptics think of chakras.

ETA- Hint: try the search function.

Last edited by AdMan; 23rd November 2010 at 10:18 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:23 PM   #66
ben m
Philosopher

Read this one! I just wrote it. It is more accurate than Alfa1's books.

A FREE EBOOK ABOUT CHAKRAS

Chapter 1: Chakras

Chakras do not exist.

Chapter 2: The Importance of Chakras

Some people once thought chakras existed. Some probably still do. They are wrong, chakras don't exist.

Chapter 3: A History of Chakra-Related Beliefs, for Historico-Cultural Interest Only

(Chapter 3 appears to be cut-and-pasted from Wikipedia and can be found there in its entirety. -Eds.)

THE END.
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:26 PM   #67
alfa1
Banned

How many bodies do you have?
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:29 PM   #68
AdMan
Philosopher

In my basement? Who told you that?? It's a vile lie!
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:35 PM   #69
The Man

Have now or have I had?

When working, at least one other than myself. Up to four or five on weekdays. Why, do you need us to help you move or something like that?

Last edited by The Man; 23rd November 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:44 PM   #70
dio
Thinker

You mean, like, the whole forum?
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:47 PM   #71
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

With deeds, or just de facto?
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:11 PM   #72
The Man

Alfa1, as a “wave” with a “wave function” what happens to you or your ‘functionality’ when you encounter someone else 180 degrees out of phase with you? This thread should give you a clue.
Old 24th November 2010, 01:36 AM   #73
Wrathernaut
Thinker

I found the answer:
I have solved your equation of who you are.

By subsituting the following symbols for each of the 7 chakras:
U, R, I, D, 1, 0, T the solution is obvious.
Wrathernaut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 02:00 AM   #74
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Mod InfoJust a quick note to let you know that I'm watching this thread. Some responses so far have been approaching uncivil or offtopic. Please remember your Membership Agreement while continuing to enjoy the extremely interesting and challenging discussion.
Posted By:arthwollipot
Old 24th November 2010, 02:27 AM   #75
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

OK. That is actually the Wave2 (W2) function.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 03:16 AM   #76
alfa1
Banned

When you will die for sure you will realize that you have another body!
Read about OBE!
Old 24th November 2010, 03:18 AM   #77
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Always handy to keep a spare.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 03:32 AM   #78
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

I'm not going to die for sure. My will requires that my body be placed in a box before death and continue to perpetuate in a quantum dead/non-dead state forever! I'll have two bodies: dead and non-dead!

Read about OBE!
I’ve already read about OBE! Read about OBE!
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 24th November 2010 at 03:34 AM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 05:27 AM   #79
Rincewind
Master Poster

well I for one am disappointed.

I saw the word "quantum" in the tag and though it must be true.

Apparently not...

Last edited by Rincewind; 24th November 2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: speeling...
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 05:32 AM   #80
Giggywig
Master Poster

Talk about untestable claims.
Read about OBE!
Order of the British Empire?
Giggywig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy