ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags consciousness

Old 24th November 2010, 05:43 AM   #81
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
Short: You have 7 quantum states, the superposition of those states multiplied with the probability to be on each state give you the wave function...
Um, there is a little mre to the wave forms than just using a phi.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 05:47 AM   #82
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I worked 2 years to find a link between spirituality and science, for the wave function....
Well it seems you still haven't explianed it very well, some what are the values of the chakras

Take a whack at some of the variables will you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3...in_a_potential
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 05:51 AM   #83
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Read at least a book about chakras...
So you can't explain your ideas, as me beloved mother says
"Well dear if you can't write your ideas clearly, how do you know what you think?"

I was taught composition by me mum, I love her and have great sympathy for all her students.
Old 24th November 2010, 05:53 AM   #84
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

How many bodies do you have?
An almost infinite regression of states depending upon the nature of the defintion of a body. (And how finely you want to parse time.)

Lets play astral tag!
Old 24th November 2010, 05:56 AM   #85
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

When you will die for sure you will realize that you have another body!
Read about OBE!
Private Joker: The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Full Metal Jacket
Old 24th November 2010, 06:25 AM   #86
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

By the way, "link between science and spirituality" gets over 20,000 hits on google. Only some of which appear to be alfa1's sites.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 07:37 AM   #87
quarky
Banned

Wasn't there a singer named Chakra Con?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 07:54 AM   #88
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

I have -- The entire "Messages from Michael" series, by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro; "Microchakras" by Sri Shyamji Bhatnagar, and a dumpload of literature at "Edgar Cayce's Association for Research and Enlightenment."

Did you know that I can also cast horoscopes, read palms, run a numerological analysis on your name, and perform a Tarot reading?

Did you know that I have had two years of Seminary training?

Did you know that I am an electrical engineer?

Now, please provide evidence that chakras exist. Keep in mind that I am not the only member of JREF that is not easily fooled by technobabble or spiritualist doubletalk. Also keep in mind that your score on the Coker scale is already 46/100...
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 07:57 AM   #89
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

When you will die for sure you will realize that you have another body! Read about OBE!
I have. Out-of-Body Experiances are merely the results of biochemical interactions in the brain as it undergoes anoxia. Only this, and nothing more.

Please provide evidence that chakras exist.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 08:20 AM   #90
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
Wasn't there a singer named Chakra Con?
I was thinking the little monkey dude from Land of the Lost.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:34 AM   #91
!Kaggen
Illuminator

“Because science will be very complicated, those who will explain with science "Who am I?" will not be able to communicate with the rest of the population!”
Adrian Ferent aka alfa1

http://alfastring.tk/

Ok.... give the man a million $, he predicted the future.
!Kaggen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 09:05 AM   #92
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by !Kaggen View Post
“Because science will be very complicated, those who will explain with science "Who am I?" will not be able to communicate with the rest of the population!”
Adrian Ferent aka alfa1
See, this is exactly why I asked for a simple English explanation anyone could understand - an explanation with testable claims and predictions.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:15 AM   #93
alfa1
Banned

A lot of people are trying hard to link spirituality with science without success!
Are a lot of institutes involved in transdisciplinarity and interdisciplinary study of science and religion
http://www.metanexus.net/Here are more people interested in Transdisciplinarity - References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transdisciplinarity
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 09:17 AM   #94
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

I worked 2 years to find a link between spirituality and science, for the wave function....
You wasted 1/6th of your life on that gibberish?
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 09:20 AM   #95
Giggywig
Master Poster

A lot of people are trying hard to link spirituality with science without success!
Including you.
Giggywig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 09:20 AM   #96
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Are a lot of institutes involved in transdisciplinarity and interdisciplinary study of science and religion
http://www.metanexus.net/Here are more people interested in Transdisciplinarity - References:
The first link returned...
Quote:
404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
The second was informative, but generally worthless.

Please provide evidence that chakrae exist.

Last edited by Fnord; 24th November 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:23 AM   #97
Olowkow
Philosopher

http://www.metanexus.net/
This is the link the OP meant to post.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:32 AM   #98
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

Oh dearie me - not MORE self-published books. Why can't these people understand that putting something in print doesn't make it true?
Old 24th November 2010, 09:33 AM   #99
dlorde
Philosopher

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
See, this is exactly why I asked for a simple English explanation anyone could understand - an explanation with testable claims and predictions.
Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." ?
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 10:33 AM   #100
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by dlorde View Post
Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"?
Yes.

He also said, "If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor."

The OP has yet to provide valid evidence for the existence of chakrae. Without this, his entire thesis falls apart. He should either provide such evidence, or admit that he can not. The burden of proof is upon him, and we are not obligated to do his research for him.

@alfa1: Please provide valid evidence that chakrae exist.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:14 AM   #101
alfa1
Banned

The Chinese are very interested in acupuncture:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13159050.htm

My theory is about chakras and can be extended to the acupuncture points.

I am a WAVE and the wave function is:
|ψ> = c1|Φ1> + c2|Φ2> + c3|Φ3>+ ... + c(n-1)|Φ(n-1)> + cn|Φn>
are n states |Φi > because are n acupuncture points or energy centers.
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 11:19 AM   #102
AdMan
Philosopher

Why is it that you are just spouting nonsense without addressing any of the questions and comments in the thread? If you refuse to engage in any sort of discussion, why come here? You already have your blog.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 11:20 AM   #103
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Irrelevant to claim. Interest proves nothing.
A theory is an hypothesis that is based upon an idea and backed by valid evidence.

Please provide valid evidence that chakrae exist.

Last edited by Fnord; 24th November 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:28 AM   #104
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Why is it that you are just spouting nonsense without addressing any of the questions and comments in the thread?
If you repeat a lie often enough and loud enough, someone will eventually believe in it -- just look what this practice has done for Christianity.
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
If you refuse to engage in any sort of discussion, why come here? You already have your blog.
Speculation: Maybe his blog isn't getting enough hits?
Old 24th November 2010, 11:43 AM   #105
alfa1
Banned

For chakras read some Yoga books
Old 24th November 2010, 11:56 AM   #106
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

I have. "Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha (2nd ed.)", by Swami Satyananda Saraswati; "Health, Healing, And Beyond: Yoga And The Living Tradition Of Krishnamacharya", by T. K. V. Desikachar; "Lilias! Yoga Gets Better with Age", by Lilias Folan; and many others. NONE of these "yoga books" presented valid evidence for the existence of chakrae.

(Hint: Assumptions, beliefs, interests, popularity, speculations and testimonials prove nothing.)

Last edited by Fnord; 24th November 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:09 PM   #107
dafydd
Banned

Please provide proof that chakras exist.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 12:10 PM   #108
dafydd
Banned

Please provide proof that chakras exist.The books just say they exist,and that is not proof.Do you have any?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 12:23 PM   #109
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Actually, I'd settle for a nice falsifiable prediction.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:27 PM   #110
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Actually, I'd settle for a nice falsifiable prediction.
Mneh ... I'm a little more hard-line than that, but a solid f/p would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Fnord; 24th November 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:41 PM   #111
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Mneh ... I'm a little more hard-line than that, but a solid f/p would certainly be a step in the right direction.
Judging from the course this thread has taken so far, and from the sordid history of many, many "I HAVE THE ANSWER" threads, I doubt that either of us is going to get what we asked for.

But hope springs eternal.
Old 24th November 2010, 01:05 PM   #112
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Nothing wrong with hope ... until it inspires inaction (i.e., "I'm hoping to win the lottery, so I'm going to quit my job"). I also hope that alfa1 won't disappoint us, just like all the rest have before him, but I'm not giving up my medical insurance.

@alfa1: Please provide valid evidence for the existence of chakrae.

Last edited by Fnord; 24th November 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 24th November 2010, 03:56 PM   #113
quarky
Banned

quarky's single quark hypothesis encompasses spirit and science. But I don't want to hi-jack a perfectly good thread.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 04:29 PM   #114
Zanders
Muse

Direct me to the book that presents scientific proof. I know what cakras are supposed to be
Zanders is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 04:36 PM   #115
Mahaha
Scholar

When you will die for sure you will realize that you have another body!
And you obviously know this because you have died and come back? Do you even listen to yourself?!

And seriously, stop avoiding questions? We know what chakras are, we asked if you can prove in any way that they exist.

If you avoid the question one more time you're going to look like a jackass more than you do now.
Mahaha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 05:29 PM   #116
quarky
Banned

The after death possibilities of consciousness are speculation, but so are assured denials of the possibility.
Old 24th November 2010, 06:13 PM   #117
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
The after death possibilities of consciousness are speculation, but so are assured denials of the possibility.
Possibility proves nothing.

I believe in an 'afterlife', but belief proves nothing, either.

We will either know that there is an 'afterlife', or we will know nothing at all.
Old 24th November 2010, 07:25 PM   #118
alfa1
Banned

Not easy to understand the chakras.
How I did more than 20 years ago:I read 3 acupuncture books; start with the acupuncture and maybe in one day you will understand the chakras.
Old 24th November 2010, 07:33 PM   #119
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

How I did more than 20 years ago:I read 3 acupuncture books; start with the acupuncture and maybe in one day you will understand the chakras.
You realize that using a book concerning an unsubstantiated treatment as evidence for an unsubstantiated idea is kind of . . . not a good idea?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 07:40 PM   #120
AdMan
Philosopher

And where do I find credible evidence that acupuncture works? Are you going to direct me to a book on chakras?
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy