ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags consciousness

Old 16th August 2012, 05:07 AM   #1481
abaddon
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
You couldn't have. There are no such things as equatons.
Of course there are. They live on planet Equata.
Old 16th August 2012, 06:00 AM   #1482
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Lulu have replied saying they cannot see what I can as far as plagiarism goes in his book. They also suggest I carry through on my threat to contact the publishers of the websites where material has apparently been lifted.

I have also provided a link to this thread.
Old 4th November 2012, 09:49 AM   #1483
alfa1
Banned

Spirituality and science

"I am the first in the world who wrote a link between spirituality and science“ Adrian Ferent
For the first time. you will see links between spirituality and science on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ZkR78-g74
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 10:51 AM   #1484
Daylightstar
Illuminator

First time? hehehe, it's like repeats on tv:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=192790
Old 5th November 2012, 06:01 AM   #1485
Squeegee Beckenheim
Philosopher

So he's started a new thread to deflect from being caught out in the last one for extensive plagarism?
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 01:13 PM   #1486
alfa1
Banned

My Evolution theory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Eiwx...ature=youtu.be

“Darwin developed his Evolution theory on animals, I developed my Evolution theory on people” Adrian Ferent
"What did Darwin not understand? The evolution of consciousness" Adrian Ferent
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 01:33 PM   #1487
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
My Evolution theory:

“Darwin developed his Evolution theory on animals, I developed my Evolution theory on people” Adrian Ferent
People=animals

Besides:

Could not see anything vaguely resembling an attempt to describe the evolution of consciousness on your link. Just the same waffle as you have spammed elsewhere on these forums.

Present an argument in this thread if you can.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:39 PM   #1488
ehcks
Master Poster

Oh good, he set the video's comments to moderated. Hurray self-inflicted echo chambers!

But at least he didn't disable ratings yet.
Old 27th November 2012, 04:00 AM   #1489
Acleron
Master Poster

My Evolution theory:

What has an electronics engineer, who doesn't understand either biology or quantum physics, to do with Darwin
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 04:05 AM   #1490
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Hi, alfa1, thanks for the link.
I especially liked the background colour and and also that you resisted the temptation to overlay a cheesy planetarium-type of soundtrack on your video.

Now about the details I have just one nit-picking question:
Why do you postulate the existence of God?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 06:54 AM   #1491
alfa1
Banned

We have a limit - the existence of God
Old 27th November 2012, 09:20 AM   #1492
AdMan
Philosopher

God doesn't exist. Or do you have evidence that he does?

None of your silly equations, please.
Old 27th November 2012, 12:23 PM   #1493
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Meaninglessly vague bald assertions. How dull.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:18 PM   #1494
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Meaninglessly vague bald assertions. How dull.
Quite right, hairy assertions are interesting.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 03:40 PM   #1495
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Well, alfa1, you must realise that doesn't answer my question.
What leads you to postulate the existence of God?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 03:46 PM   #1496
alfa1
Banned

My Consciousness equation!
Old 27th November 2012, 11:03 PM   #1497
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

Kepler, Newton, Maxwell, Dirac and Einstein all gave us equations that described various phenomena in a quantitative way, allowing us to make accurate predictions, some of which were extremely surprising. Such mathematical models are essential to the technology that we are using now.

I put it to you that your consciousness equation is useless in telling us anything about the phenomena of consciousness and therefore can quantitatively predict absolutely nothing about it or any related phenomena. It is quite simply utter gibberish with no value to anyone.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 27th November 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:12 AM   #1498
Acleron
Master Poster

It is not a fact and is nothing to do with evolution.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #1499
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Well, alfa1, you must realise that doesn't answer my question.
What leads you to postulate the existence of God?
Ok.
So, back to evolution, then.
Old 28th November 2012, 08:27 AM   #1500
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.

So, the god of the gaps again, and more useless information, so into the round file it goes.

Paul

A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 01:34 PM   #1501
alfa1
Banned

Do you know a better Consciousness equation?
Old 28th November 2012, 01:37 PM   #1502
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

1) Chemicals
2) Physics
3) ???
4) Consciousness

http://www.oecd.org/els/health-syste...uesteddata.htmlink is 2013 data (2011 Data below):
UK 9.4% of GDP of which 82.8% is state expenditure = 7.8% of GDP from taxes
US 17.7% of GDP of which 47.2% is state expenditure = 8.5% of GDP from taxes
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 01:39 PM   #1503
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Not really an equation, more of an algorithm...

http://www.oecd.org/els/health-syste...uesteddata.htmlink is 2013 data (2011 Data below):
UK 9.4% of GDP of which 82.8% is state expenditure = 7.8% of GDP from taxes
US 17.7% of GDP of which 47.2% is state expenditure = 8.5% of GDP from taxes
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 10:17 PM   #1504
Sideroxylon
Gavagai!

I made a time machine out of a cardboard box with drawn-on dials and buttons. Do you know of a better time machine? Your equation is just as useful at describing consciousness and its evolution as my "time machine" is for going back to meet that dude Socrates.

Your equation is completely useless at describing consciousness or its evolution.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:03 AM   #1505
dafydd
Banned

Jack Daniels x a lot= unconsciousness.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 09:33 AM   #1506
Mojo
Mostly harmless

My Evolution theory:

Evolution is thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the far end.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:30 AM   #1507
Craig4
Philosopher

What are the applications?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:49 AM   #1508
Astreja
Springy Goddess

Sure do!

Amount of measurable brain activity in the standard consciousness waveform ranges (e.g., alpha and beta), measured in microvolts...

...divided by the amount of Jack Daniels in mL/minute.

You're welcome.
Astreja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2013, 06:17 AM   #1509
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I can fly to planet Jupiter in less than 1 hour:
My equation is very important:

m = m0( 1 / ( 1 – v^2 / c^2 )^1/2 – (v / c) / ( 1 – v^2 / c^2 )^1/2)

m = m0 ( 1 – v / c) / ( 1 – v^2 / c^2 )^1/2

m = m0 ( 1 – v / c )^1/2 / ( 1 + v / c )^1/2

This equation is very important because is the first proof that we can travel close to the speed of light.
All the theories until now explained that close to the speed of light the mass of the spaceship, rocket ship… will be infinite.
My equation demonstrates that close to the speed of light the mass of the spaceship will be close to zero. The secret is this equation connecting the mass and the negative mass.
That is why the UFOs can move in any direction very fast; it is a lot of Dark energy in the universe.
This means I can fly to planet Jupiter in less than 1 hour.
I can proclaim myself the owner of the planets Mars, Jupiter, Neptune…because I discovered the way to go there.

An abstract of my theory on my blog: http://​adrianferent.blogspot.com/
I sure am glad that this stupid, idiotic poster is now banned from JREF. I was getting so tired of his nonsense.

On 10 JUN 2014, 'Gaeten’ claimed that it was Satan who provided the Ten Commandments to Moses. “This is not God who gave the Moses law to Moses but Satan, and the reason why he did that is because he wants people to go to hell.”
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...6#post10065066

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 03:57 AM   #1510
BTMO
Overlord of the Underthings

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I made a time machine out of a cardboard box with drawn-on dials and buttons. Do you know of a better time machine?
Whoa! That is just freaky! I made one like that, too. Are you me? From another time, I mean? Yours sounds more advanced, so I am assuming you are me from the future.

BTW - Mine just says "Time Machine" on the side. My plan is to come back and finish it later....
Old 18th April 2013, 05:01 AM   #1511
Fast Eddie B
Master Poster

"Safety Not Guaranteed" is a little indie film not far removed from this discussion.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2013, 02:41 PM   #1512
abaddon
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
"Safety Not Guaranteed" is a little indie film not far removed from this discussion.
Except this discussion ended four months ago. Hence the need for time machines.
Old 18th April 2013, 06:26 PM   #1513
Fast Eddie B
Master Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Except this discussion ended four months ago. Hence the need for time machines.
Sorry.

I was visiting the future so I could find out what gold was going to do...

...just so I could tell kevsta the opposite!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy