ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags consciousness

Old 24th November 2010, 07:54 PM   #121
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
@alfa1: Please provide valid evidence for the existence of chakrae.
Perhaps the first step (before providing evidence for the existence of chakras) is to tell us what chakras are?

I have no idea, and I can't be arsed to look it up. Luckily, we have at least one expert here who can tell us...

(I'm not being entirely snarky. I really want to know what they are supposed to be. Knowledge makes my kundalini rise. )
Old 24th November 2010, 08:24 PM   #122
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

This Wikipedia Article explains the chakra myth fairly well. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
"...Chakra is a concept referring to wheel-like vortices which, according to traditional Indian medicine, are believed to exist in the surface of the etheric double of man. The Chakras are said to be "force centers" or whorls of energy permeating, from a point on the physical body, the layers of the subtle bodies in an ever-increasing fan-shaped formation. Rotating vortices of subtle matter, they are considered the focal points for the reception and transmission of energies. Different systems posit a varying number of chakras; the most well known system in the West is that of 7 chakras ... Texts describing the chakras go back as far as the later Upanishads, for example the Yoga Kundalini Upanishad..."

Certainly a detailed article, but one based on tradition and apocryphal accounts only.
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 08:32 PM   #123
quarky
Banned

The lower chakras are disgusting, but fun for a time.
Eventually, the higher chakras get lit up, and we become groovy.

One of them, the grooviest one, is actually above your head, kind of floating in the realm of your other body. Why not? It makes more sense than an endless mortgage, traffic jams, a cubicle, and Dancing with the stars.

I'm not being snarky at all.
Reality is snarky, if anything.

Make something up. Its allowed. Take it seriously, if you must. That's allowed too, but it's less fun. Logic and reason are taking us to a place that is very non-magical.
Even after we've solved the problem of inter-planetary travel, we'll mostly have to work in oppressive mines. I've seen the movies.

Woo comes to the rescue, but only if you can handle it...or really hate a cubicle.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 08:46 PM   #124
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by SumDood View Post
You are WAY off. Would one test the polarity of a Bogin-time reversal module with bare hands and a volt-meter? Only if you wanted to disrupt the existing continuum belt! Eigenstates only correspond to the innate differential between the first member of any set. To properly deduce the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, one must first lay forth the principles postulated by the great quantum philosopher Zeron Druthers, in which he configured the locations of the Chi lines via sub-protian scanning. This is basic theoretical quantum. Try cracking a book sometime.
Last time I cracked a book i got thrown out of the library.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 08:46 PM   #125
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
Not easy to understand the chakras.
How I did more than 20 years ago: I read 3 acupuncture books; start with the acupuncture and maybe in one day you will understand the chakras.
Special Pleading?* I had hoped for better. I have also read many books on chakrae, accupuncture, and other similar topics.

Oh, and I understand the chakra myth just fine. I also understand the concept of faith very well. IMO, your claims for the existence of chakrae seem to be entirely faith-based (and thus, religious), and therefor lack any valid evidence to support them.

Is your claim for the existence of chakrae fact-based or faith-based?

If the former, then please provide valid evidence for the existence of chakrae. If the latter, then your claim is no more valid than any other religious claim -- that is, irrelevant to anyone other than you, the believer.

*Special Pleading is: (1) The assertion of new or special matter to offset the opposing party's allegations; (2) A presentation of an argument that emphasizes only a favorable or single aspect of the question at issue; or (3) A claim that certain pre-requisites are necessary for the understanding of the original claim.

For example, a typical claim that uses Special Pleading is: "Horoscopes work, but you have to understand the theory behind Astrology for them to work correctly."
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2010, 09:40 PM   #126
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

How I did more than 20 years ago:I read 3 acupuncture books; start with the acupuncture and maybe in one day you will understand the chakras.
(bolding added)

I've had 3 years of science in high school and 2 college classes. Doing that required me to read 5 science books. That happened less than 20 years ago. Even though I have read more books than you, that does not make me a science expert.

You fail.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 02:49 AM   #127
Aepervius
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quarky View Post
I farted and burped simultaneously. For all i know, I am the first.
If you think its irrelevant, or easy, try to do it.
You can read about the experience on my blog, or buy the book and the t-shirt.

My ego swells with every moment I revel in this achievement, yet I remain humble and accessible.

How cool is that?
Reverse the w in a mirror.

I don't know if your ego swells, but I betcha it certainly smelled at that moment .
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 03:20 AM   #128
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Why is it that you are just spouting nonsense without addressing any of the questions and comments in the thread? If you refuse to engage in any sort of discussion, why come here? You already have your blog.
He has a couple of vanity published books to sell, and they're not doing well.
catsmate1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 04:32 AM   #129
Wrathernaut
Thinker

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
He has a couple of vanity published books to sell, and they're not doing well.
Wow, 214 pages of this guy? I'll pass.
Wrathernaut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 05:44 AM   #130
alfa1
Banned

Chinese scientists are using the country's most expensive ever science project, a light-emitting synchrotron, to solve the mystery of acupuncture points.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13159050.htm
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 06:12 AM   #131
dafydd
Banned

Chinese scientists are using the country's most expensive ever science project, a light-emitting synchrotron, to solve the mystery of acupuncture points.

The only mystery is why people believe it.When will you be providing us with proof that chakras exist?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 06:13 AM   #132
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

For chakras read some Yoga books
For evidence you have none. Welcome to the JREF, you need to actually explain you ideas, then present the evidence.

Waving your hands at someone else's work, is lazy.

So you don't know what a chakra is and you can't explain why you think they exist.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 06:15 AM   #133
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

How I did more than 20 years ago:I read 3 acupuncture books; start with the acupuncture and maybe in one day you will understand the chakras.
So again you just show, you don't even know what you really think.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 06:17 AM   #134
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

That is called moving the goal posts, you still haven't shown what a chakra is or how your equation is more than just monkeys typing randomly.
Old 25th November 2010, 07:49 AM   #135
ArmillarySphere
Muse

There's no particular mystery about acupuncture points. While prodding the surface layer of the skin with needles may in fact affect the immune system, there's no extra benefit to certain points as opposed to putting them in at random. This has been shown in controlled studies, though I'm afraid I don't have the reference on hand at the moment.
ArmillarySphere is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 08:50 AM   #136
alfa1
Banned

In my book Who am I? you can read about chakras.
A whole chapter about chakras is waiting for you!

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/who-am-i/2294872

Last edited by alfa1; 25th November 2010 at 08:56 AM.
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 09:01 AM   #137
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

The connection has timed out

The server at adrianferent.host22.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Last edited by Jeff Corey; 25th November 2010 at 09:03 AM.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 09:26 AM   #138
madurobob
Philosopher

Well, with a bit of work we can ensure that the number one google hit for this nonsense is this thread here at the jref forums. Perhaps that can save a brain or two from falling for this pseudo-scientific claptrap.

Please keep posting, and please be sure to include this in each post:
|ψ> = c1|Φ1> + c2|Φ2> + c3|Φ3> + c4|Φ4> + c5|Φ5> + c6|Φ6> + c7|Φ7>
are 7 states |Φi > because are 7 major chakras or energy centers.
Old 25th November 2010, 09:51 AM   #139
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I'll get on this right after the other million or so things I want to do before I croak.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 11:45 AM   #140
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

This post was reported as an attempt to sell a product.

This entire thread has been a lame attempt by the OP to get people to buy his book, which does not prove the existence of chakrae.
Old 25th November 2010, 02:22 PM   #141
dafydd
Banned

I'd rather stick forks in my eyes than read your book.Tell me what chakras are,and provide proof that they exist.

Last edited by dafydd; 25th November 2010 at 02:29 PM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 02:30 PM   #142
dafydd
Banned

That only proves that your book exists.
Old 25th November 2010, 03:45 PM   #143
Marduk
Banned

I am the first in the world who wrote a link between science and spirituality.
I thought that was Plato
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2010, 04:06 PM   #144
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
I thought that was Plato
He is the million and first.
Old 25th November 2010, 04:15 PM   #145
Mirrorglass
Illuminator

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
Well, with a bit of work we can ensure that the number one google hit for this nonsense is this thread here at the jref forums. Perhaps that can save a brain or two from falling for this pseudo-scientific claptrap.

Please keep posting, and please be sure to include this in each post:
|ψ> = c1|Φ1> + c2|Φ2> + c3|Φ3> + c4|Φ4> + c5|Φ5> + c6|Φ6> + c7|Φ7>
are 7 states |Φi > because are 7 major chakras or energy centers.
Yes, I bet there are vast hordes of people googling that particular phrase.
Old 25th November 2010, 07:12 PM   #146
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mirrorglass View Post
Yes, I bet there are vast hordes of people googling that particular phrase.
Well, sure, Alfa1 has not gone on his speaking tour and appearance on Ellen yet. But, just you wait and see...
Old 25th November 2010, 07:37 PM   #147
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

This is very interesting. It was published 10 months ago. Have they had any results?

I expect that, as a respected scientific operation, they will publish both positive and negative findings?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2010, 08:43 AM   #148
alfa1
Banned

‎"The highest skepticism: Skeptic about your death"

Adrian Ferent
Old 26th November 2010, 09:23 AM   #149
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Adrian Ferent
Considering that is out of blue, it may make sense to you but its is very opaque to the rest of us.

You have no evidence of life after death, life before birth or chakras that you have presented as of yet.

You have come to site that promototes questions, reasoning and critical thought and all you can do is hand wave and now quote yourself. Rather weak.

You can't even explian what you mean when you use the word chakra, you have presented no evidence but you quote yourself? Amazing.
Old 26th November 2010, 09:51 AM   #150
dafydd
Banned

Adrian Ferent
So we can take it that you have no evidence of the existence of chakras?
Old 26th November 2010, 09:52 AM   #151
dafydd
Banned

Adrian Ferent
I am not.It will happen one day.Any more meaningless quotes?
Old 26th November 2010, 10:35 AM   #152
Mahaha
Scholar

Why don't they ever answer? Isn't there one that instead of "just knowing" can prove something?
Mahaha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2010, 11:03 AM   #153
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Mahaha View Post
Why don't they ever answer? Isn't there one that instead of "just knowing" can prove something?
Those who know won't say, those who say don't know.

Oldest cop-out in the book.

Flowery language grows best in a garden well fertilized with bull dung.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2010, 11:22 AM   #154
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
‎"The highest skepticism: Skeptic about your death" Adrian Ferent
Considering that is out of blue, it may make sense to you but its is very opaque to the rest of us.
It's both a 'non-Sequitur' and a 'Red Herring', in that it has nothing to do with the original claim, and that it relies on the emotional aspects of the topic of death to divert the reader from the fact that Adrian Ferent can not prove any of his claims.
You have no evidence of life after death, life before birth or chakras that you have presented as of yet.
Adrien apparently knows nothing about science, so what do you expect?
You have come to site that promotes questions, reasoning and critical thought and all you can do is hand wave and now quote yourself. Rather weak.
Actually, he seems to have come to the site to gain attention in the hope of selling his book ... but I agree that even this effort is rather weak.
You can't even explain what you mean when you use the word chakra, you have presented no evidence but you quote yourself? Amazing.
I think it's called 'Appeal to False Authority'. Yet, according to his Curriculum Vitae, he has been unemployed since 2005. I wonder why?
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
So we can take it that you have no evidence of the existence of chakras?
He has no evidence for the existence of his authority on the subject, and much less evidence for the subject itself. Ce te astepti? Cei care pot, fac. Cei care nu pot, predau. Cei care nu stiu nimic, scrie ficţiune!

Last edited by Fnord; 26th November 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:55 AM   #155
AdMan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
I think it's called 'Appeal to False Authority'. Yet, according to his Curriculum Vitae, he has been unemployed since 2005. I wonder why?

Turns out there's only three degrees of separation between me and Adrian on LinkedIn. Scary.

Adrian, I'm still not buying any of your BS books--sorry.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2010, 12:20 PM   #156
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
I thought the primary equation was b4I4q ru/18 qt(pi)?
In Australia it is b4 i√u ru/18 as far as I can recall.

Possibly only Australians will get this.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"

Last edited by Robin; 26th November 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2010, 12:48 PM   #157
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
In Australia it is b4 i√u ru/18 as far as I can recall.

Possibly only Australians will get this.
i√u should be i4Q

No, I'm not Australian...
Old 26th November 2010, 01:27 PM   #158
alfa1
Banned

After death job: look for chakras!

Have Fun!
Old 26th November 2010, 01:34 PM   #159
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

alfa1, get off your trollerskates and answer some basic questions. Proof that there are such things as chakras and proof that there is life after death.

If you can't do something as simple as that, get back on your trollerskates and go somewhere else where people will believe your statements without any proof.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2010, 06:44 PM   #160
dafydd
Banned

After death job: look for chakras!

Have Fun!
Why don't you ever answer questions? Do you want a dialogue or are you just trolling?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy