ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags consciousness

Old 30th November 2010, 09:39 AM   #241
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
madurobob Wow Funky math aside, a theory is useless !

Show me another theory Who am I? and I will delete my wave function!
This reminds me so much of a parody piece I wrote for SkepticReport a few years ago...

Quote:
“We know that there’s this microscopic flatworm that breathes fire,” he said. “It’s been shown that it can move through walls. We also speculate that it can astral-project itself to other dimensions.” But, Markbotch concedes, “The only thing we can’t prove is that it actually exists.” While lacking direct evidence, Markbotch infers the worm’s existence through deductive reasoning. “What other flatworm do you know of that breathes fire?” he asked rhetorically. “What other invertebrate can pass through walls? It has to be this one.”
http://www.skepticreport.com/sr/?p=412

Proving once again that any sufficiently advanced woo is indistinguishable from parody.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 09:59 AM   #242
Craig4
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
It never rose above 0.0.Is is just me or are our chew toys wearing out more quickly nowadays?
Check out the conspiracy theory forum. Now they get some cranks with staying power.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 01:21 PM   #243
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

"I defined people at animal level those who are living at the first 3 chakras level"
Adrian Ferent

Ah, a three for one deal. “the first 3 chakras level” for one “animal level”, how can you beat that?

So again…

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Where do you place yourself in those ‘levels’?

How many “chakras level”s do you have in your system?

What units do you measure your “chakras” in?

Do you have any definition or evidence of “chakras” yet or is it just some vague word you like to bandy about?

Since you have “chakras or energy centers” and now “chakras level” you can determine both location and magnitude. Now if you could establish direction as well then we can determine a “chakras” vector field. I mean, that is, once you actually define and show some evidence for “chakras”. So how about it? Are you ever going to define or show any kind of evidence for “chakras” or are you just going to keep pretending that there is any kind of science in your purported “link between science and spirituality”?
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 01:43 PM   #244
quarky
Banned

It can be fun to 'bandy about' vague words.

As far as ever linking the mythical and the logical, I'd put my $ on the sub-atomic realm.
Once you've tasted quantum-woo, there's no going back.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 02:08 PM   #245
ben m
Philosopher

"I defined people at animal level those who are living at the first 3 chakras level"
Adrian Ferent
And you got 98% from that? Better check your arithmetic. When I plug in three chakra levels I get 45.5% exactly. 98% sounds like a six, six and a half.
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2010, 03:19 PM   #246
A Laughing Baby
A baby. Goo goo ga ga

No one, and I mean NO ONE explain the basics of number theory to alfa1. The second he sees a prime spiral, we are SCREWED.
Old 1st December 2010, 06:49 AM   #247
alfa1
Banned

My Big Bang theory
In my view the Big Bang is cyclic and the size of the Universe can not go under 10^(-43) cubic meters.

V = M*20*v/m = 10^(-43) cubic meters

V – Smallest volume of the Universe
M - Mass of the Universe
m – Planck mass
v – Planck volume
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 07:38 AM   #248
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

My Big Bang theory
In my view the Big Bang is cyclic and the size of the Universe can not go under 10^(-43) cubic meters.

M - Mass of the Universe
m – Planck mass
v – Planck volume
You got any workings out to support this or did you just pull the equation out of thin air ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 07:43 AM   #249
Craig4
Philosopher

My Big Bang theory

M - Mass of the Universe
m – Planck mass
v – Planck volume
Given up on the chakras have you?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 07:48 AM   #250
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Apparently so.

Ambiguity is the last refuge of the ignorant.
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 07:48 AM   #251
Mirrorglass
Illuminator

My Big Bang theory

M - Mass of the Universe
m – Planck mass
v – Planck volume
Why?
Old 1st December 2010, 08:25 AM   #252
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

My Big Bang theory
Enjoy your view.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 08:46 AM   #253
alfa1
Banned

I see people are interested in Big Bang, string theory...

The energy of the string is huge: minimum energies of strings are actually couple times of the Planck energy(more than billion x billion time of a proton energy).
The question is how such strings with such huge energy generate 'small energy' particles like electrons, protons...?
It's like using mountains to build small rocks!
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 08:49 AM   #254
Cuddles
Decoy

The energy of the string is huge
But how long is this piece of string?
Old 1st December 2010, 11:10 AM   #255
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

What fun! Let me try!

"I see people are interested in football, truffles..."

Old 1st December 2010, 11:13 AM   #256
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
It's kept in here:

Old 1st December 2010, 11:18 AM   #257
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
You got any workings out to support this or did you just pull the equation out of thin air ?
Probably not from air, something more solid, after a full meal, mayhap.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 11:19 AM   #258
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Snip!
Now you have two pieces of string!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 11:23 AM   #259
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

alfa1, I never got answers to my questions from page 1 of this thread:

Originally Posted by Vorticity View Post
Are the 7 states |Φi > orthonormal? Are they complete? What Hilbert space do they span?

Are the amplitudes ci fixed, or are they constrained by the observation of observables?

Does the wave function |ψ> serve to completely specify the individual? If so, how can it be that a given human is constrained and characterized via the specification of a mere seven complex numbers?
I'm completely serious. You seek to use the notation of quantum mechanics. Such usage is meaningless unless you preserve the notation's meaning.
Old 1st December 2010, 11:24 AM   #260
ben m
Philosopher

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
"I see people are interested in football, truffles..."
98% of truffles are at animal level. That's why pigs are good at finding them.
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 03:37 PM   #261
quarky
Banned

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Snip!
Now you have two pieces of string!
No snippers small enough.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 04:54 PM   #262
Marcus
Master Poster

Please read some of the other threads in the science section to see what constitutes a properly entertaining science woo. You've really got a ways to go.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 05:38 PM   #263
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2010, 11:31 PM   #264
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Chinese scientists are using the country's most expensive ever science project, a light-emitting synchrotron, to solve the mystery of acupuncture points.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13159050.htm

Why am I suddenly picturing Bender dressed in a 70's era disco outfit?

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Apparently so.

Ambiguity is the last refuge of the ignorant.

Maybe it is, sometimes, but who really knows?
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:45 AM   #265
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It came from somewhere much lower than thin air.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:47 AM   #266
dafydd
Banned

The energy of the string is huge: minimum energies of strings are actually couple times of the Planck energy(more than billion x billion time of a proton energy).
The question is how such strings with such huge energy generate 'small energy' particles like electrons, protons...?
It's like using mountains to build small rocks!
You will have to do much better to be as entertaining as our other trolls.1/10 .Must try harder
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:02 AM   #267
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Vorticity View Post
alfa1, I never got answers to my questions from page 1 of this thread:

I'm completely serious. You seek to use the notation of quantum mechanics. Such usage is meaningless unless you preserve the notation's meaning.
Knowing stuff takes all the fun out of quantum mechanics. Shame on you!

Old 2nd December 2010, 06:08 AM   #268
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

I propose we come up with a term for the casual use of quantum physics terms in order to bolster claims of the paranormal. We could call it "quantum magic". We give it over to the woos, let them come up with whatever whacko interpretations they want to, and keep actual quantum physics discussions within the circle of people who actually understand it. Or at least want to understand it.

"Quantum magic" is just like quantum physics except the terminology is fuzzier and it makes no useful predictions and explains nothing.

Old 2nd December 2010, 06:10 AM   #269
Mirrorglass
Illuminator

I propose "wuantum theory".
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:14 AM   #270
Cuddles
Decoy

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Why am I suddenly picturing Bender dressed in a 70's era disco outfit?
I don't know, but I actually work at one of those (a synchrotron that is, not a 70s disco) and I've never seen him here.

That's actually a bit of a mistranslation though. The English term is "synchrotron light source", presumably "light-emitting synchrotron" is the literal translation of the Chinese.
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:28 AM   #271
Marcus
Master Poster

I propose we come up with a term for the casual use of quantum physics terms in order to bolster claims of the paranormal. We could call it "quantum magic". We give it over to the woos, let them come up with whatever whacko interpretations they want to, and keep actual quantum physics discussions within the circle of people who actually understand it. Or at least want to understand it.

"Quantum magic" is just like quantum physics except the terminology is fuzzier and it makes no useful predictions and explains nothing.
It is the favorite word of woos of all types these days. I see you are from Austin as well, no doubt you have also noticed all the people infected with quantumosis.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:38 AM   #272
dafydd
Banned

I recently found a wooist friend reading a book called "Healing Through Quantum Biology." When I pointed out that biology takes place at the molecular level and quantum effects were confined to the sub-atomic level I may as well have been speaking Chinese to her.I think that people should be forced to take a physics test before they are allowed to buy such books.The book was very funny.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:11 AM   #273
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
I recently found a wooist friend reading a book called "Healing Through Quantum Biology." When I pointed out that biology takes place at the molecular level and quantum effects were confined to the sub-atomic level I may as well have been speaking Chinese to her.I think that people should be forced to take a physics test before they are allowed to buy such books.The book was very funny.
See, this clearly shows that you don't really understand either quantum mechanics or healing.

After all, there's, like, vibrations with, you know, resonance and stuff, and some of the vibrations even have frequencies. And there are these energy flows, which make auras, although the vibrations do that, too, sort of. And the auras kind of control energy flows. And crystals can make the energy flows change color and, uh, do other stuff, only better. And there are natural essences, and oneness with the universe. And quantum stuff, too.

Oh! and magnets.

I hope this clears it up for you .
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:41 AM   #274
Cuddles
Decoy

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
See, this clearly shows that you don't really understand either quantum mechanics or healing.

After all, there's, like, vibrations with, you know, resonance and stuff, and some of the vibrations even have frequencies. And there are these energy flows, which make auras, although the vibrations do that, too, sort of. And the auras kind of control energy flows. And crystals can make the energy flows change color and, uh, do other stuff, only better. And there are natural essences, and oneness with the universe. And quantum stuff, too.

Oh! and magnets.
Yeah, but how the **** do they work?
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:36 AM   #275
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Oh! and magnets.

I hope this clears it up for you .
And for a mere $65... you, yes, you, can harness all these flowitizations and essencestuffies...
and imagine the joy of being free from cellphone radiation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1113-N- 001.jpg (110.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1113-N- 002.jpg (83.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:51 AM   #276
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Oh! and magnets.
Yeah, but how the **** do they work?
Ah, that's an insightful question. We now know that the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids with ratios, and those ratios harmonized the vortexes of the first lodestones, or something, which channels the lodestone crystals, kind of. And also the Mayans.

(okay, that's probably enough diversion for me for one morning)

Last edited by dasmiller; 2nd December 2010 at 10:52 AM.
dasmiller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:57 AM   #277
AdMan
Philosopher

Radios? Where??!
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:16 AM   #278
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I see you are from Austin as well, no doubt you have also noticed all the people infected with quantumosis.
no, but I don't get out much...

Old 2nd December 2010, 11:19 AM   #279
Craig4
Philosopher

Knowing stuff takes all the fun out of quantum mechanics. Shame on you!
What I'm amused by (in an admittedly geeky way) is how woo types instead of making quantum mechanics too weird, the don't make it weird enough. Reading the "Elegant Universe" is way more out there than anything brought to you by the practitioners of pseudoscience.

I'm always amazed at the ability of people to ignore the amazing while in search of the absurd.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:45 AM   #280
alfa1
Banned

In one day the Universe will be a crowded place!

In my view the Big Bang is cyclic and the size of the Universe can not go under 4*10^(-43) cubic meters.

V = M*20*v/m = 4*10^(-43) cubic meters

M - Mass of the Universe
m – Planck mass
v – Planck volume

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy