ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags consciousness

Old 3rd December 2010, 05:52 AM   #321
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Happy to hear it.Perhaps you could tell me how quantum processes can cure cancer,aids and hepatitis c.
I did not make such a claim.
Old 3rd December 2010, 05:58 AM   #322
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I did not make such a claim.
What was your post about then? Do quantum processes have an effect at the molecular level,especially in cells? I was merely pointing out to my neighbour that no diseases have ever been cured by quantum theory.She didn't know the quantum theory from a hole in the ground.I was just commenting on the fact that new age wooists use the word quantum without having the faintest idea what it means.

Last edited by dafydd; 3rd December 2010 at 06:06 AM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 06:12 AM   #323
nathan
Zygoticly Phased

What was your post about then?
It was about sentence of yours that I quoted. Here it is that sentence again:

When I pointed out that biology takes place at the molecular level and quantum effects were confined to the sub-atomic level I may as well have been speaking Chinese to her.
Quantum effects are not confined to the subatomic level.

I was merely pointing out to my neighbour that no diseases have ever been cured by quantum theory.
You didn't say you said that. You said you said quantum effects are constrained to the subatomic level, therefore ...
Old 3rd December 2010, 07:09 AM   #324
Cuddles
Decoy

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Warning malicious site!!!

I clicked on the above link to see what he was talking about and it was blocked by my firewall as a malicious site.

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!!

ETA:

Post reported and link removed from quote for that reason.

I have never reported a post nor did I ever think I would have reason to do so, but a potential malicious link left me no alternative.

Sorry alfa1, I don’t presume it was any intent on your part and I would recommend you do an intensive scan of your system.
There's nothing wrong with the link, it's just a Chinese news site. It's possible there was something dodgy about one of the adverts when you visited, but there's nothing wrong with the site itself.
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:19 AM   #325
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

Where does the 20 in your universe equation come from, alfa?

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:26 AM   #326
dafydd
Banned

It was about sentence of yours that I quoted. Here it is that sentence again:

Quantum effects are not confined to the subatomic level.

You didn't say you said that. You said you said quantum effects are constrained to the subatomic level, therefore ...
I'm sorry,I didn't make myself clear.To my knowledge,the quantum theory has no effect upon diseases.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:35 AM   #327
alfa1
Banned

X 20 is from here:

Dark matter 23%, Dark energy 72%, matter 4.6%
Picture: Estimated distribution of dark matter and dark energy in the universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:53 AM   #328
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
X 20 is from here:

So, the M in the original equation wasn't really the mass of the universe, it was actually the mass of the normal matter in the universe? And if so, shouldn't the constant be 21.7, rather than 20?
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:44 AM   #329
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
There's nothing wrong with the link, it's just a Chinese news site. It's possible there was something dodgy about one of the adverts when you visited, but there's nothing wrong with the site itself.

Yep that's possible but I felt it was more prudent to error on the side of safety.
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:04 AM   #330
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

A parallel Universe can be very close to us!
Just so long as you are there.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:07 AM   #331
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it was slugs, snails, puppy-dog tails.

What's a snip? (Hey I may as well try and learn something)
Little boys are made of snakes, and snails and puppy dog tails.
Little girls are made without penises, but have a nifty place for one when they grow up.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:42 AM   #332
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

I'm sorry,I didn't make myself clear.To my knowledge,the quantum theory has no effect upon diseases.
It has been suggested by some that cell phone signals may cause cancer. In fact, this is demonstrably impossible. Why?

(The answer relies upon quantum mechanics.)
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:11 AM   #333
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

X 20 is from here:

I don't see a 20 in there.

Please explain where it came from.

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:46 AM   #334
Craig4
Philosopher

This means the Universe will not go to ZERO volume like Stephen Hawking and others said!
You'll perhaps excuse some of us if we defer to the one of the greatest minds of our time.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:50 AM   #335
Craig4
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
I am the first in the world who wrote a link between spirituality and frutti di mare.
As long as you don't put cheese on it. I hate seeing people put cheese on frutti di mare.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:22 PM   #336
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
That's the spirit. Be all the troll that you can be.
Aim high.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:28 PM   #337
dlorde
Philosopher

This means the Universe will not go to ZERO volume like Stephen Hawking and others said!
Did he actually say that, or did he say that if a certain interpretation of GR is correct, and if the universe was in a particular state, it was predicted to collapse into a singularity? Did he say that a singularity would have zero volume, or did he say that we don't know for sure exactly what happens to spacetime in a singularity? Did he say that it was generally accepted that this won't actually happen? That the latest data suggests it will just keep on expanding?

IIRC, that's what he told me when I saw him recently in London (at the Royal Albert Hall).
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:00 PM   #338
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Vorticity View Post
It has been suggested by some that cell phone signals may cause cancer. In fact, this is demonstrably impossible. Why?

(The answer relies upon quantum mechanics.)
The book was called "Healing With Quantum Biology", not "Give Yourself Cancer With A Cell Phone".Why are you on my case?
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:15 PM   #339
Craig4
Philosopher

Originally Posted by A Laughing Baby View Post
My theory is still truer, sorry. I mean, take a look at it:

Sex=F(Un)

Accept your mathematical defeat and move on with some grace.
The fun I missed going into the social sciences.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:27 PM   #340
Vorticity
Fluid Mechanic

The book was called "Healing With Quantum Biology", not "Give Yourself Cancer With A Cell Phone".Why are you on my case?
You stated that "To my knowledge,the quantum theory has no effect upon diseases." I'm simply trying to point out an example which shows why this is incorrect.

It is also incorrect to say that quantum mechanics has no effect above the level of the subatomic. See, for just one of many counterexamples, the phenomenon of superfluidity.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:47 PM   #341
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Vorticity View Post
You stated that "To my knowledge,the quantum theory has no effect upon diseases." I'm simply trying to point out an example which shows why this is incorrect.

It is also incorrect to say that quantum mechanics has no effect above the level of the subatomic. See, for just one of many counterexamples, the phenomenon of superfluidity.
I was trying to tell my neighbour that the book was rubbish and the quantum theory would not cure any diseases.Which part of that do you not understand?I'll be sure to tell her about superfluidity next time I see her.

Last edited by dafydd; 3rd December 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:51 PM   #342
dafydd
Banned

I did know what superfluidity was,but thank you for the link.
Old 3rd December 2010, 05:31 PM   #343
quarky
Banned

It looks safe to risk going off-topic in this thread.

Parallel universes could solve a lot of woo problems, if, it turns out, that our understanding of consciousness is very limited.
I don't poo-poo the bizarre possibilities; things always become more and more fantastic as we learn...but we should try to adhere to the rules while we describe the universe that is the main one that we are familiar with. Math works for that.

Philosophical stuff is fun; intriguing if its good and deep; and possibly correct, in the long run. Had this thread been posted in R&P, it would be sort of hot.

oops! at 9 pages, its sort of hot here.

Last edited by quarky; 3rd December 2010 at 05:32 PM.
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:27 PM   #344
alfa1
Banned

100-23-72=5 not 4.6
That is why is 20 and not 21.739130434
alfa1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:30 PM   #345
quarky
Banned

yowza
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:05 PM   #346
dasmiller

100-23-72=5 not 4.6
So, M in the original equation didn't refer to the ordinary mass, it referred to the fraction of the universe that isn't dark matter or dark energy?
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:11 PM   #347
AdMan
Philosopher

alfa1, can you still not tell that no one here is taking you seriously?
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:22 PM   #348
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

I was trying to tell my neighbour that the book was rubbish and the quantum theory would not cure any diseases.Which part of that do you not understand?I'll be sure to tell her about superfluidity next time I see her.
I think the problem he has is that you were bragging about trying to correct misinformation (quantum cures disease) with misinformation (quantum is restricted to subatomic sizes).
I don't think he's questioning your motives.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:04 PM   #349
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Check out the conspiracy theory forum. Now they get some cranks with staying power.
Oh, Gawd yes! All one has to do is either look at the "Realistice" thread, or search for the ex-member Heiwa's multiple abuses of engineering to see this.

But at the same time, the staying power is really based on other non-CT woo peddler's tactics: Repetition of debunked points as if they've never been addressed, let alone refuted. Really, they're no different from other woo pushers. It's just that some of them are severely obstinate. Much like some of the homeopathy advocates that come around here.
"... my favorite meal is grilled filet of spherical cow of uniform density ... with a side of mashed potatoes of indeterminate volume, peas arranged in an optimal packing configuration, and a glass of ideal fluid." (PhysicsForums)
ElMondoHummus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 03:35 AM   #350
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
I think the problem he has is that you were bragging about trying to correct misinformation (quantum cures disease) with misinformation (quantum is restricted to subatomic sizes).
I don't think he's questioning your motives.
I was trying to keep it simple for my neighbour.As an interested layman I am quite familiar with the quantum theory.There are some picky people here.
Old 4th December 2010, 05:44 AM   #351
alfa1
Banned

“I defined half-cannibals those who are eating meat” Adrian Ferent
The top clerics of the world are half-cannibals, in December in Romania the savages will kill the pigs waiting for the birth of Jesus, the half-cannibal president of Argentine said: Eat pork, spice your sex life!
Like I said: 98% of people are at animal level!
I am wondering what Waves the mankind is sending in the Universe…to Aliens civilizations.

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/artic...or_better_sex/
Old 4th December 2010, 07:07 AM   #352
EHocking
Philosopher

.. in December in Romania the savages will kill the pigs waiting for the birth of Jesus...
How long have these pigs been waiting?

I think they may have missed the alleged event by over two thousand years.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 09:19 AM   #353
Craig4
Philosopher

The top clerics of the world are half-cannibals, in December in Romania the savages will kill the pigs waiting for the birth of Jesus, the half-cannibal president of Argentine said: Eat pork, spice your sex life!
I am wondering what Waves the mankind is sending in the Universe…to Aliens civilizations.

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/artic...or_better_sex/
Ooooookay lets all just smile nod, and back out of the room slowly.
Old 4th December 2010, 09:50 AM   #354
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

...]
No, humans behave worse than animals, given the opportunity.
Old 4th December 2010, 09:59 AM   #355
dasmiller

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
...]

No, humans behave worse than animals, given the opportunity.

That must be the other 2% of humanity, then.

Last edited by dasmiller; 4th December 2010 at 10:01 AM.
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 10:31 AM   #356
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Ah, I see the self quote emitting ‘sphinctertron’ is still being employed. Are you familiar with the term ‘Carnivore’?

You do understand that not all animals are Carnivores, don’t you?

You do understand that some plants are Carnivorous, don’t you?

You do understand the word “cannibal” has a very specific meaning, don’t you?

So where is this cannibalism to which you, well, ‘half’ refer? Evidently much as your purported “link between science and spirituality” doesn’t actually involve any science, what you like to refer to as being “half-cannibals” similarly doesn’t actually involve any, well, cannibalism. How surprising.

And it is as meaningless when you say it now as when you said it before.

Originally Posted by alfa1;6622071

[url
http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2010/01/28/argentine_prez_says_eat_more_pork_for_better_sex/[/url]
Why electromagnetic waves of course, though no to any “Aliens civilizations” that we know of.
"Not a seat but a springboard” (1942 Winston Churchill) "As he who, seeking asses, found a kingdom" (1671 Milton "Paradise Regained") "for it seem'd A void was made in nature, all her bonds Crack'd; and I saw the flaring atom-streams And torrents of her myriad universe, Ruining along the illimitable inane, Fly on to clash together again, and make Another and another frame of things For ever." (1868 Tennyson "Lucretius")
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2010, 11:34 AM   #357
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I am a WAVE and the wave function is:
|ψ> = c1|Φ1> + c2|Φ2> + c3|Φ3> + c4|Φ4> + c5|Φ5> + c6|Φ6> + c7|Φ7>
are 7 states |Φi > because are 7 major chakras or energy centers.
Actually, the best function of a wave is to indicate goodbye.
Old 4th December 2010, 04:56 PM   #358
dafydd
Banned

Have you heard about the cannibal who passed his friend in the jungle?

Two cannibals kidnapped a clown from a circus,roasted him and served him up.While they were eating one cannibal turned to the other and said " Does this taste funny to you?"

Sorry.
Old 4th December 2010, 05:58 PM   #359
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

100-23-72=5 not 4.6

And you've lost me again.
I still don't know where you're getting 20 from.

Perhaps I lack the math skills.
Can you please go through and explain all your steps, to help my understanding?

Old 4th December 2010, 06:33 PM   #360
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by X View Post
And you've lost me again.
I still don't know where you're getting 20 from.

Perhaps I lack the math skills.
Can you please go through and explain all your steps, to help my understanding?
Yes, could you go through all the steps of solving for X?
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy