ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Julian Assange , rape charges

Closed Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 08:05 AM   #201
Cavemonster
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Wow, this post is just fill of ignorance. No it's not an open invite for you to have sex just because she's in bed with you, and No means No, so when she says No Condom, No Sex, it means No. With attitudes like yours it's not surprising the number of women that think all men are arrogant jerks.
So any significant other that said aloud "Not tonight, I'm tired" and then proceeded to have sex anyway has been raped?

I disagree. Communication is complicated and it most definitely is not all verbal. Consent is complicated too.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2010, 11:36 AM   #202
babycondor
Muse
 
babycondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 634
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
So any significant other that said aloud "Not tonight, I'm tired" and then proceeded to have sex anyway has been raped?

I disagree. Communication is complicated and it most definitely is not all verbal. Consent is complicated too.
Seconded. With someone I'm voluntarily in bed with, no means no, unless I change my mind. There is a fine line between coercion and friendly persuasion. Therein lie the difficulties and dangers with which human sexual relations are fraught.
babycondor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2010, 12:23 PM   #203
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,458
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Wow, this post is just fill of ignorance. No it's not an open invite for you to have sex just because she's in bed with you, and No means No, so when she says No Condom, No Sex, it means No. With attitudes like yours it's not surprising the number of women that think all men are arrogant jerks.
If only it were that simple. As evidence suggests, "no" doesn't always mean no. If it did, why would some women continue to communicate with abusive men who they have told they don't want to talk to anymore? Why would they have sex with a man whom they have stated they would "never" have sex with?

(This goes the same for men as well. "No" doesn't always mean no although, it is more likely to.)

As an example: My wife and I didn't have condoms and she said, "I don't want to get pregnant again so no sex without a condom."

Well, we did have sex, she did get pregnant and we had our third child.

After our youngest daughter was born she said, "I'm glad we didn't have condoms that night."

Several questions arise out of your post and this incident:

1) Did I rape her?
2) Does the fact that she was very verbal and encouraged me to have sex with her in the middle of the event, outweigh the fact that she said "No condom, no sex" at the beginning of the event.
3) Can her words "I'm glad we had sex that night" be translated to mean "I'm glad you raped me that night?"

The trouble is, you are trying to make black and white decisions with nothing but grey on your pallette of evidence.
__________________
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

(Mark Twain)
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2010, 06:04 PM   #204
ThunderChunky
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,460
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
2) Did he start having sex with her while she was asleep?
Is kissing someone in their sleep assault? What if you wake someone up by kissing them and then have sex without a condom (without objection), is that rape?
ThunderChunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 11:45 AM   #205
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
There's no "surprise" part as far as I can see, I don't know where that comes from, or if it's just a rumor that being repeated.
Via twitter @davidallengreen I reached this Jessica Valenti blog post:
Originally Posted by Jessica Valenti
The truth? There’s nothing in Swedish law about “sex by surprise” or broken condoms. (Here’s the penal code, see for yourself.) And despite reports to the contrary, Assange’s accusers have always said that this was not consensual sex.

So what are actually very serious charges are being diminished by shoddy reporting and victim-blaming – and it all starts with AOL News. All of the news sources and blogs reporting that the Assange charges are simply “sex by surprise” cite this piece from Dana Kennedy at AOL News
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 11:52 AM   #206
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
So any significant other that ...
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
...As an example: My wife and I didn't...
I hope that you can see the difference between two persons in a relationship that know each other well and that have learned to understand their partners verbal and non-verbal communications, and the situation around a 'one-night-stand' or at least a very young relationship.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 12:20 PM   #207
Cavemonster
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
I hope that you can see the difference between two persons in a relationship that know each other well and that have learned to understand their partners verbal and non-verbal communications, and the situation around a 'one-night-stand' or at least a very young relationship.
I can, but I was using the context of a relationship for the sake of clarity to address PhantomWolf's contention that a verbal "no" is definitive for anything that may happen afterwards.

Even during a one night stand consent and communication are still far more nuanced than that.

At the risk of getting too personal,
when I was on my first date with a former girlfriend, we had been fooling around. I got up to leave, and she convinced me to stay the night. I said, basically "Okay, but I don't want to have sex tonight, I've rushed into sex in my last few relationships and I think it's better to wait a little bit."

We did end up having sex that night, without me verbally explicitly rescinding my "no". I assure you I made my consent clear in other ways


The takeaway is that individuals change, clarify or modify consent over the course of an encounter very regularly, and we can communicate those changes very clearly without words. A verbal limitation of consent does not mark the final word for anything that happens in an evening, between a married couple, or a hook-up or anything inbetween.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 12:38 PM   #208
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
The takeaway is that individuals change, clarify or modify consent over the course of an encounter very regularly, and we can communicate those changes very clearly without words. A verbal limitation of consent does not mark the final word for anything that happens in an evening, between a married couple, or a hook-up or anything inbetween.
Agreed, as long as this goes both ways. A verbal "no" might later be changed by non-verbal communication, but the reverse holds also; a verbal "yes" might later be changed by for example resisting.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 12:43 PM   #209
Cavemonster
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
Agreed, as long as this goes both ways. A verbal "no" might later be changed by non-verbal communication, but the reverse holds also; a verbal "yes" might later be changed by for example resisting.
Absolutely.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 12:59 PM   #210
egslim
Graduate Poster
 
egslim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,857
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Wow, this post is just fill of ignorance. No it's not an open invite for you to have sex just because she's in bed with you, and No means No, so when she says No Condom, No Sex, it means No. With attitudes like yours it's not surprising the number of women that think all men are arrogant jerks.
And if the woman says 'Stop!' while the man is already inside her, he should stop and get out.

But what if the woman says 'Stop!' while she simultaneously thrusts her hips hard against the man's?

That's a verbal 'no', but a non-verbal 'yes'.
egslim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 02:37 PM   #211
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,458
Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
I hope that you can see the difference between two persons in a relationship that know each other well and that have learned to understand their partners verbal and non-verbal communications, and the situation around a 'one-night-stand' or at least a very young relationship.
No, I don't see the difference. You will have to explain it because no matter how much I think about it, there isn't any.

I spend my life figuring out the intricacies of interpersonal communications and for pretty much everything in life it works great except when I have sex with a woman and then it means nothing, some arbitrary time limit now exists that she and I have to somehow know and the rest of society has to agree with or else having sex is very likely rape.

Where does a woman who likes to role play fit into this?
__________________
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

(Mark Twain)
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 03:02 PM   #212
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 44,989
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
We don't know the details here but a guy repeatedly raping a woman has happened.

This might all be complete BS but I think we need to keep in mind that we are largely ignorant of everything that is happening.
I am not trying to say women are never victims. But I am calling BS on these supposed victims and on the attitude women are so incompetent they need protection from the man beasts.

Was he much older? Did he have a position of power over the women? Did they have a long term abusive relationship the woman was stuck in? Did they claim it was date rape?

No. Show me the evidence this guy had some advantage over these women that made them his victims as opposed to just as responsible?
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 03:04 PM   #213
Matthew Best
Illuminator
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 4,741
If a man and woman both agree beforehand that they will only have sex with a condom, and the condom then breaks, how can you tell which of them raped the other? Isn't it just as possible that the woman raped the man, as the man raped the woman, in those circumstances?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 03:09 PM   #214
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 44,989
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Wow, you just did the whole, "all women react to being raped in exactly the same manner" fallacy.
I resent the implication women are incapable of participating in casual sex. This idea all women are manipulated vulnerable incompetent children when it comes to having sex is ludicrous.

I'm certainly not saying that is never the case. Of course date rape occurs and is a serious problem. NO CLAIM of date rape was made until the prosecutor started putting words in the women's mouths. There was even a protestation cited in one of the articles where one of the women involved said all they wanted was for Assange to get an STD test and no force was involved.

I'm beginning to suspect those of you convinced this was some kind of date rape or coerced sex haven't read all the available information. It sounds like you read the account of the charges read in the arraignment and nothing else.
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 03:13 PM   #215
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 44,989
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
If a man and woman both agree beforehand that they will only have sex with a condom, and the condom then breaks, how can you tell which of them raped the other? Isn't it just as possible that the woman raped the man, as the man raped the woman, in those circumstances?
Exactly. Why under any circumstances is a broken condom evidence of coercion or date rape?

Hint: the use of a condom that broke is evidence of consensual sex, not coerced sex. The broken condom is not consistent with the charges as written up by the prosecutor.
__________________
(*Tired of continuing to hear the "Democrat Party" repeatedly I've decided to adopt the name, Pubbie Party, Repubs "Republics" and Republic Party in response.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 03:35 PM   #216
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
No, I don't see the difference. You will have to explain it because no matter how much I think about it, there isn't any.
The point with my comment that I didn't really expand on was - with a person that you've known for a long time your learn to understand not only the verbal but most specifically the non-verbal communications. You may then be in a position to know when a "no" means "preferably not", or even "I'm just playing with you" as apposed to a "real" no. This is not a simple judgement, it takes a lot of experience with each other to build trust and understanding to be able to handle a situation like this. With a person you don't know well, the safe thing is to play it safe - try to communicate as clearly as possible.

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Where does a woman who likes to role play fit into this?
Now that is a tough situation. There was a court case about this kind of situation here in Sweden a couple of months ago. I won't try to describe all the details, especially since I don't know all of them, but as I understand it the two persons had agreed on BDSM-type sex that would include pain for the woman. The problem was that that woman was described as having had problems with hurting her self - that she wasn't psychologically stable and because of that it was tried in courts if the man was in the wrong.

At least the first level courts did not agree, and the man was set free.

They had set up "safe words" that could be used to stop the role play.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 03:41 PM   #217
Here_to_learn
Master Poster
 
Here_to_learn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Exactly. Why under any circumstances is a broken condom evidence of coercion or date rape?

Hint: the use of a condom that broke is evidence of consensual sex, not coerced sex. The broken condom is not consistent with the charges as written up by the prosecutor.
But is the "broken condom" in the charges at all?

The case is only about what is in the prosecutions case. If the prosecutors case does not say "broken condom - therefore a crime", your argument as I understand it is irrelevant.

Could you please show me where the prosecutors case involves a broken condom.
Here_to_learn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:04 PM   #218
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I resent the implication women are incapable of participating in casual sex. This idea all women are manipulated vulnerable incompetent children when it comes to having sex is ludicrous.
Wow, talk about going off on totally absurd tangent. On what planet does "Women react in a different manner to being raped" equal "Women are incapable of participating in casual sex" or "women are manipulated vulnerable incompetent children when it comes to having sex." Try and learn to read what is written and not what you wish was written.

Quote:
I'm certainly not saying that is never the case. Of course date rape occurs and is a serious problem. NO CLAIM of date rape was made until the prosecutor started putting words in the women's mouths. There was even a protestation cited in one of the articles where one of the women involved said all they wanted was for Assange to get an STD test and no force was involved.
You don't know what was said and by whom, none of us do, we weren't there, and all we have is 2nd, 3rd, or more versions that might or might not have anything to do with what really happened.

Quote:
I'm beginning to suspect those of you convinced this was some kind of date rape or coerced sex haven't read all the available information. It sounds like you read the account of the charges read in the arraignment and nothing else.
And I suspect that you are taking the newspaper reports as the pure gospel when none of them were there and they are all guessing too. Most of them are just reprinting gossip and what Assange's Lawyers have been saying.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:12 PM   #219
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
If a man and woman both agree beforehand that they will only have sex with a condom, and the condom then breaks, how can you tell which of them raped the other? Isn't it just as possible that the woman raped the man, as the man raped the woman, in those circumstances?
This isn't about a condom breaking. The only issue that there might be is that it was reported by the Daily Fail that Woman A suspected that he broke it on purpose, but there is nothing obvious about that in the charges.

The Charges are based on two things.

1) He held Woman A down with his body and sexually assaulted her
2) He had sex with Woman B while she was asleep.

Let's stick to what has actually been charged rather than inventing stuff shall we?

Here's the law:

Quote:
A person who by assault or otherwise by violence or by threat of a criminal act forces another person to have sexual intercourse or to undertake or endure another sexual act that, having regard to the nature of the violation and the circumstances in general, is comparable to sexual intercourse, shall be sentenced for rape to imprisonment for at least two and at most six years.

This shall also apply if a person engages with another person in sexual intercourse or in a sexual act which under the first paragraph is comparable to sexual intercourse by improperly exploiting that the person, due to unconsciousness, sleep, intoxication or other drug influence, illness, physical injury or mental disturbance, or otherwise in view of the circumstances in general, is in a helpless state.
Shall we just stick to that?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:13 PM   #220
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by egslim View Post
And if the woman says 'Stop!' while the man is already inside her, he should stop and get out.

But what if the woman says 'Stop!' while she simultaneously thrusts her hips hard against the man's?

That's a verbal 'no', but a non-verbal 'yes'.
I'd say go with the verbal, if she didn't mean it, you'll find out pretty fast.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:14 PM   #221
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Show me the evidence this guy had some advantage over these women that made them his victims as opposed to just as responsible?
You mean like that he was awake and she was asleep?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:21 PM   #222
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
No, I don't see the difference. You will have to explain it because no matter how much I think about it, there isn't any.

I spend my life figuring out the intricacies of interpersonal communications and for pretty much everything in life it works great except when I have sex with a woman and then it means nothing, some arbitrary time limit now exists that she and I have to somehow know and the rest of society has to agree with or else having sex is very likely rape.

Where does a woman who likes to role play fit into this?
Whether it is confusing or not, today the onus is on the man to make sure that he has a clear, indisputable, and unimpared consent (verbal or non-verbal) to go ahead. If you don't gain that then you are seriously opening youself up to criminal charges, even if the person you are engaging in is your spouse or partner. If you follow the basis that no means no, unless countered, then you'll be safe, and if you get it wrong and no meant yes, she'll let you know verbally or otherwise. You can't just assume that no means yes, or no means that you just have to keep at it till she finally gives in. Both of those situations are you forcing your intentions on her, and guess what that is called in most countries?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:25 PM   #223
little grey rabbit
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,167
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Whether it is confusing or not, today the onus is on the man to make sure that he has a clear, indisputable, and unimpared consent (verbal or non-verbal) to go ahead. If you don't gain that then you are seriously opening youself up to criminal charges, even if the person you are engaging in is your spouse or partner. If you follow the basis that no means no, unless countered, then you'll be safe, and if you get it wrong and no meant yes, she'll let you know verbally or otherwise. You can't just assume that no means yes, or no means that you just have to keep at it till she finally gives in. Both of those situations are you forcing your intentions on her, and guess what that is called in most countries?
Of course you are also seriously opening yourself up to criminal charges if you have consensual sex with two swedish sluts who then lie about what happened.

Call me old-fashioned, but where I come from nice girls don't give oral sex in a cinema before at least having been bought one dinner.

By all accounts both these women thrust their attentions on Mr Assange and then cried rape. Join the dots.
little grey rabbit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:26 PM   #224
Matthew Best
Illuminator
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 4,741
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You mean like that he was awake and she was asleep?
If you could provide evidence of that it would be great, but it seems like it's just going to be one person's word against another.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:27 PM   #225
Cavemonster
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,157
Phantomwolf,
This whole line of discussion is in response to this post of yours.

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
In the end it comes down to two things:

1) Did she tell him no sex without a condom?
2) Did he start having sex with her while she was asleep?

If either answer is yes, then case closed, he's guilty. Nothing else matters...

We are arguing that she may have said no sex without a condom, but that doesn't close the case or assure his guilt because she could have retracted that denial of consent later in a million verbal or non verbal ways.

So contrary to your statement there, other things do matter, and given your last post:

Quote:
and if you get it wrong and no meant yes, she'll let you know verbally or otherwise.
I think you agree.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:28 PM   #226
little grey rabbit
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,167
In reality these women ought to be pilloried by all victims of true sexual assault for opening up the possibility in people's mind that sexual assault claims can sometimes be made as payback.
little grey rabbit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:42 PM   #227
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,192
Originally Posted by little grey rabbit View Post
Of course you are also seriously opening yourself up to criminal charges if you have consensual sex with two swedish sluts who then lie about what happened.

Call me old-fashioned, but where I come from nice girls don't give oral sex in a cinema before at least having been bought one dinner.

By all accounts both these women thrust their attentions on Mr Assange and then cried rape. Join the dots.
Originally Posted by little grey rabbit View Post
In reality these women ought to be pilloried by all victims of true sexual assault for opening up the possibility in people's mind that sexual assault claims can sometimes be made as payback.
Disgusting. Your assumptions about what happened do not constitute 'all accounts' and your assumptions about what happened also do not rule out these women being sexually assaulted.

You'd think I'd learn to just stay out of any thread involving rape.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:45 PM   #228
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
If you could provide evidence of that it would be great, but it seems like it's just going to be one person's word against another.
I just going by the charges. Do you know for different that it didn't happen that way? Were you there? How about we let the courts do their job and sort it out since they will have all the evidence on both sides and we don't?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:46 PM   #229
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by little grey rabbit View Post
In reality these women ought to be pilloried by all victims of true sexual assault for opening up the possibility in people's mind that sexual assault claims can sometimes be made as payback.
So you were there and saw what happened?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:47 PM   #230
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by little grey rabbit View Post
Of course you are also seriously opening yourself up to criminal charges if you have consensual sex with two swedish sluts who then lie about what happened.

Call me old-fashioned, but where I come from nice girls don't give oral sex in a cinema before at least having been bought one dinner.

By all accounts both these women thrust their attentions on Mr Assange and then cried rape. Join the dots.
Ahhh the good ole "Bad Girls can't be raped" defence.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:49 PM   #231
little grey rabbit
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,167
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Disgusting. Your assumptions about what happened do not constitute 'all accounts' and your assumptions about what happened also do not rule out these women being sexually assaulted.

You'd think I'd learn to just stay out of any thread involving rape.
A case of different values. I think sleasing on to someone and then shouting rape for the benefit of a your career is disgusting. You obviously don't.

Sexual assault is a problem - it can only become more of a problem and more traumatic for genuine victims when the process is abused as a kind of payback - whether for political reasons as here or simply over a child custody battle.

For all genuine victims of rape these two women should be pilloried.
little grey rabbit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:50 PM   #232
little grey rabbit
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,167
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Ahhh the good ole "Bad Girls can't be raped" defence.
Oh give me a break. You think this is just a big a joke as I do.

Score another one for the Brotherhood.
little grey rabbit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:51 PM   #233
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by little grey rabbit View Post
A case of different values. I think sleasing on to someone and then shouting rape for the benefit of a your career is disgusting. You obviously don't.

Sexual assault is a problem - it can only become more of a problem and more traumatic for genuine victims when the process is abused as a kind of payback - whether for political reasons as here or simply over a child custody battle.

For all genuine victims of rape these two women should be pilloried.
Again. You were there? You saw what happened? No? Then how about waiting on the facts and not what you and the media feeding frenzy have made?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:53 PM   #234
little grey rabbit
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,167
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Again. You were there? You saw what happened? No? Then how about waiting on the facts and not what you and the media feeding frenzy have made?
Please don't tell me you have a straight face when you write this stuff.
little grey rabbit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:53 PM   #235
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by little grey rabbit View Post
Oh give me a break. You think this is just a big a joke as I do.

Score another one for the Brotherhood.
No I don't think it's a "big joke". If the charges are true, it's a very serious matter and the guy deserves the book thrown at him, and people like you do too for harasing the victims. How about you wait for the facts before making judgements.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:54 PM   #236
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by little grey rabbit View Post
Please don't tell me you have a straight face when you write this stuff.
So you were there? Or are you basing everything on the media reports?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 05:57 PM   #237
little grey rabbit
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,167
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
No I don't think it's a "big joke". If the charges are true, it's a very serious matter and the guy deserves the book thrown at him, and people like you do too for harasing the victims. How about you wait for the facts before making judgements.
No its not a serious matter.

The girl threw himself at him, gave him oral sex in a cinema and then took him back to her place. Whether or not he wore or condom the next morning is not a serious matter. It is an utterly trivial matter

What is a serious matter is that there is a class of people who think it is okay to deal in this kind of particularly nasty entrapment and another class of people who loudly declare how awful it all is while privately cackling and smirking away between themselves.

Julian Assange is most likely an idiot - but the hypocrisy and abuse of process on display is no laughing matter.
little grey rabbit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 06:02 PM   #238
Matthew Best
Illuminator
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 4,741
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I just going by the charges. Do you know for different that it didn't happen that way? Were you there?
I suspect we know roughly as much as each other about the circumstances leading to this case.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 06:37 PM   #239
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,192
Originally Posted by little grey rabbit View Post
No its not a serious matter.

The girl threw himself at him, gave him oral sex in a cinema and then took him back to her place. Whether or not he wore or condom the next morning is not a serious matter. It is an utterly trivial matter
This shows just how many incorrect assumptions you are basing your belief off of. He isn't being charged because he didn't wear a condom.

Quote:

What is a serious matter is that there is a class of people who think it is okay to deal in this kind of particularly nasty entrapment and another class of people who loudly declare how awful it all is while privately cackling and smirking away between themselves.

Julian Assange is most likely an idiot - but the hypocrisy and abuse of process on display is no laughing matter.

It's entrapment now to retract consent?
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2010, 06:41 PM   #240
little grey rabbit
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,167
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
This shows just how many incorrect assumptions you are basing your belief off of. He isn't being charged because he didn't wear a condom.




It's entrapment now to retract consent?
No its entrapment to throw yourself at a celebrity so you can then make a complaint of rape for personal gain.
little grey rabbit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.