IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th December 2010, 04:59 PM   #1
INRM
Philosopher

Mastercard Hacking: Retaliation? Or Manufactured Controversy

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/technology/09net.html
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/r...his-cyber-war/

I wonder if this Mastercard hacking was actually a retaliation for credit card companies and PayPal for cutting off funding to Wikileaks, or is a manufactured controversy by the establishment to lend credence to the argument that

- Wikipedia is dangerous and has criminal supporters
- Hackers have gone out of control and there's a serious cyber-security issue
- We need to monitor the internet, and give more power to censor and control the internet

What are your opinions on the matter?

INRM
"No matter how I die, it was murder"
SNL Parody of Julian Assange

Last edited by INRM; 10th December 2010 at 05:02 PM.
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by INRM View Post
my opinion?

your posts & threads are waaay too paranoid.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

I wonder
Yeah, you should stop doing that.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2010, 05:30 PM   #4
INRM
Philosopher

I should rephrase the question which I posted at the bottom of the thread asking people what their opinions on the matter were...

How many people disagree strongly with the opinion?
How many people disagree slightly with the opinion?
How many people do not either disagree nor agree with the opinion at all?
How many people agree slightly with the opinion?
How many people disagree strongly with the opinion?

Thunder,

I am well aware of your opinion in particular. While I did ask people their opinions, there are rules against attacking the arguer, and only attacking the argument.

You could just say you disagree with the opinion, for example.

INRM
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2010, 05:31 PM   #5
AnnoyingPony
Critical Thinker

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/technology/09net.html
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/r...his-cyber-war/

I wonder if this Mastercard hacking was actually a retaliation for credit card companies and PayPal for cutting off funding to Wikileaks, or is a manufactured controversy by the establishment to lend credence to the argument that

- Wikipedia is dangerous and has criminal supporters
- Hackers have gone out of control and there's a serious cyber-security issue
- We need to monitor the internet, and give more power to censor and control the internet

INRM
First of all, Wikipedia has nothing to do with Wikileaks.

Secondly, Wikileaks has released sensitive information before, except last time it was about Kenya and they received a medal for it.

Thirdly, I've heard that the Mastercard hacking was done by the Anonymous of 4chan. Anonymous has hacked sites that suppress free speech before, and they are strongly anti-censorship and anti-Scientology, among other things.

I think that Wikileaks is a good thing, myself. Yet somehow, my opinion appears to be the minority one. I think that governments are for the people, by the people. They are not above the people; they do not deserve to keep their information secret. Wikileaks encourages us to question the state and reveals what's really going on the Middle East, two things that I support.

inb4 "Wikileaks iz a-puttin' are troopz in danger"
AnnoyingPony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2010, 07:17 PM   #6
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnnoyingPony View Post
I think that Wikileaks is a good thing, myself. Yet somehow, my opinion appears to be the minority one. I think that governments are for the people, by the people. They are not above the people; they do not deserve to keep their information secret. Wikileaks encourages us to question the state and reveals what's really going on the Middle East, two things that I support.
So you believe that there is nothing that a government should be allowed to keep secret from it's enemies?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2010, 05:43 AM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm mildly amused that conspiracy theorists have all kinds of bizarre theories about Assange. How he works for Israel or the CIA or the Illuminati.

That he is so obviously anti-establishment is taken as evidence that he actually works for the establishment.
Old 11th December 2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I'm mildly amused that conspiracy theorists have all kinds of bizarre theories about Assange. How he works for Israel or the CIA or the Illuminati.

That he is so obviously anti-establishment is taken as evidence that he actually works for the establishment.

As I've said before, they have to hate him, because he shows exactly how full of it they themselves are. If Alex Jones and his ilk were interested in showing the actual nefarious things that governments are getting up to, they'd have been posting wikileaks type information for years.
Old 11th December 2010, 10:01 AM   #9
deeper
Critical Thinker

My opinion is, this thread is going nowhere. No evidence has been presented, so people are being asked for their opinion of some baseless speculation. I've no idea why people think they can infer a conspiracy by looking at events from such a distant position, it seems to imply that everything is a potential product of conspiracy, which is a little paranoid in my opinion.
deeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by deeper View Post
My opinion is, this thread is going nowhere. No evidence has been presented, so people are being asked for their opinion of some baseless speculation. I've no idea why people think they can infer a conspiracy by looking at events from such a distant position, it seems to imply that everything is a potential product of conspiracy, which is a little paranoid in my opinion.
Or is that what they want you to think?
Old 11th December 2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Dragonrock
Militant Elvisian Tacoist

a manufactured controversy by the establishment
What "establishment"? Are you suggesting that big business all got together and decided to put the world more under their thumb? How did they decide which business was gonna get screwed?

"Sorry Mastercard, it's your turn in the barrel."

There is no God but the Great Taco In The Sky and Elvis is his prophet.
Dragonrock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2010, 01:26 PM   #12
sadhatter
Philosopher

I dread the day the op has one of those farts that are so bad they make the person producing it leave the room. We will get a 15 page + post going on about how the government is tainting his food to try and kill him.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories