ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Two must read articles about the anti-vaccination movement

Both from City Journal (The Manhattan Institute)

The Whooping Cough’s Unnecessary Return

Quote:
Vaccines, which save millions of lives every year, are one of the most successful public-health interventions in the history of modern medicine. Among the diseases that they prevent is the whooping cough. Why, then, is that sickness making a scary comeback in California, which is currently weathering its largest whooping-cough epidemic since 1947, with over 7,800 cases and 10 deaths in 2010?

The Virus of Hysteria
Review of new book [/i]Deadly Choices: How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatens Us All by Paul A. Offit[/i]

Quote:
From experience I know that it is best, when reviewing a book about the vaccine question, to declare a financial interest, or in my case, a lack of one. As far as I know I own no shares in vaccine companies, except perhaps through mutual funds whose holdings I haven’t examined closely. I don’t think, therefore, that my economic future depends to any great extent on the sale of vaccines. In view of what I am about to say, conspiracy theorists will have difficulty believing this, but it’s true.

Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:45 AM   #2
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

Thanks. I will file these on my http://factsnotfantasy.com blog.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Emet
Illuminator

Dr. Offit also made a short video about Autism and the MMR vaccine:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/735439?src=ptalk

Last edited by Emet; 3rd February 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Emet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Almo
Masterblazer

That's going on my Facebook feed. I know the parents who are anti-vaxers will flip, but whatever.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 05:40 AM   #5
neutrino_cannon
Master Poster

Thank you for the links!

One good turn deserves another, no? I present:

Pakistan, the gift that keeps on giving!

"Man would have been too happy, if, limiting himself to the visible objects which interested him, he had employed, to perfect his real sciences, his laws, his morals, his education, one half-the efforts he has put into his researches on the Divinity"

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Necessity of Atheism
neutrino_cannon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Emet
Illuminator

Quote:
Dr. Paul Offit appears on The Colbert Report:
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=10440
Emet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Brian Dunning's InFact series covers vaccines as well.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Emet
Illuminator

Didn't want to start a new thread, but just came upon this video.

It may be a bit NSFW.

Immunize!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Morrigan
Crone of War

Originally Posted by neutrino_cannon View Post
Thank you for the links!

One good turn deserves another, no? I present:

Pakistan, the gift that keeps on giving!
Wow... it's like the Taliban go out of their way to be as evil as possible, like cartoon villains.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology