IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th February 2011, 08:37 PM   #1
khan2012
New Blood

Subquantum Kinetics?

What are the flaws with this theory of Paul A. Laviolette, PH.D. ?

http://www.etheric.com/LaVioletteBooks/ether.html

Quote:
The Transmuting Ether
Subquantum kinetics proposes the existence of a primordial transmuting ether composed of subtle "etheron" particles. These continually react with one another in prescribed manners and also diffuse through space. Potentially, there may be many subquantum reactions taking place in the transmuting ether, but only a few of these may be important for describing the origin of the fields composing the matter and energy of our universe.

[...]

Subquantum Kinetics Predictions
and their Subsequent Verification

http://www.etheric.com/LaViolette/Predict2.html

khan2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by khan2012 View Post
No evidence supporting it, no useful predictions that it makes. (His "predictions" are simply reanalyses of existing well-understood phenomena -- e.g., he "predicts" the Hubble red shift.)

"Subquantum kinetics proposes the existence of a primordial transmuting ether composed of subtle "etheron" particles. "

This could just as well be written "Fairie chromodynamics proposes the existence of a primordial philosopher's stone composed of the multicolored wings of pixies."
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I was going to complain about the lack of equations on the linked website but then I ended up here:

http://www.etheric.com/LaVioletteBoo...k-Secrets.html

Quote:
Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion:
Tesla, UFO's and Classified Aerospace Technology

by Paul A. LaViolette

Bear & Co., Rochester, VT. Now available.
Paperback: 512 pages, ISBN 978-1-59143-078-0, $24.00 USD

To order click here.

A complete investigation of the development and suppression of antigravity and field propulsion technologies

• Reveals the workings of advanced technologies capable of controlling gravity that have thrust-to-power ratios thousands of times greater than the jet engine.

• Recounts the history of how gravity control research first developed and how dozens of major aerospace companies in the 50's were involved in major research effort that eventually became classified.

• Presents new insights into the B-2's highly secret electrogravitic field propulsion system.

• Discloses the existence of Project Skyvault, the highly classified Rocketdyne program that developed craft capable of lofting on invisible beams of microwave energy.

• Shows how devices currently under military development could revolutionize air travel and energy production.

• Shows how NASA participates in a cover-up to block adoption of advanced technologies under military development.

• Explains the physics behind electrogravitic field propulsion technologies.

• Shows evidence of a Navy cover up of Townsend Brown's involvement in the highly secret Philadelphia Experiment.
Paul A. LaViolette a Legend in his own mind?
Old 5th February 2011, 10:01 PM   #4
khan2012
New Blood

LaViolette papers:

http://arxiv.org/find/physics/1/au:+.../0/1/0/all/0/1

The Philadelphia experiment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment
khan2012 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 10:13 PM   #5
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

And the Harry Potter books:

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-B...6969184&sr=1-1

As long as we're giving pointers to magical fiction, I think HP is better written.
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2011, 11:13 PM   #6
khan2012
New Blood

Originally Posted by drkitten View Post
And the Harry Potter books:

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-B...6969184&sr=1-1

As long as we're giving pointers to magical fiction, I think HP is better written.

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Harry-.../dp/0670031534

Quote:
The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
Old 6th February 2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Well this is a really bad sign
Quote:
Since the conventional approach must take into account numerous experimental observations...
this too
Quote:
In choosing an adequate model to represent subquantum process, subquantum kinetics turns to the macroscopic natural world...
Except the QM world does not behave like the macroscopic one.

Quote:
Instead of beginning with physical observations, subquantum kinetics begins by postulating ...
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2011, 06:58 AM   #8
C_Felix
Master Poster

I gave it a quick read and it sounds like he could be talking about a Higgs Ocean or a 0-brane.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2011, 07:50 AM   #9
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Well, this:
Quote:
Remote viewing of a subatomic particle and its antimatter compliment conducted in 1895 by esoterisists Annie Bessant and Charles Leadbeater. The whirling ether flux, which they saw flowing into and out from the center of the particle matches the predictions of subquantum kinetics.
for instance.

But it's still nice that the antimatter gave a compliment to the subatomic particle.
Old 7th February 2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Well, a few problems have already been pointed out, but the main flaw is that it's a bunch of nonsensical gibberish and not actually a theory at all.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Bishadi
Banned

you are new here and welcome but that question of yours will not get much of an answer but the gibberish rants of the trolls of jref.

Just look at the answers you recieved; that is all the people here are really capable of.

I am immediately turned off on the ether aether either way.

But i will take a look see if you really are interested. Please tell me what you understand of electromagnetism. Entanglement?

Subquantum kinetics is a huge subject. (ie.... kinetics is not the proper description of energy exchange between mass. Because energy is not a speed thing)
Bishadi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2011, 07:20 AM   #12
Bishadi
Banned

Originally Posted by Bishadi View Post
Subquantum kinetics is a huge subject. (ie.... kinetics is not the proper description of energy exchange between mass. Because energy is not a speed thing)
here is a venue to observe

ScienceDaily (Feb. 7, 2011) — In typical plasmonic devices, electromagnetic waves crowd into tiny metal structures, concentrating energy into nanoscale dimensions. Due to coupling of electronics and photonics in these metal nanostructures, plasmonic devices could be harnessed for high-speed data transmission or ultrafast detector arrays. However, studying plasmonic fields in nanoscale devices presents a real roadblock for scientists, as examining these structures inherently alters their behavior.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0204092203.htm

notice the date

the whole frame of how mass/energy works is changing. Try not to hold onto describing the crazy stuff (cosmological descriptions) but focus on the basic exchanges at the molecular scale between mass and energy (em).

Seeing the Light: Scientists Bring Plasmonic Nanofields Into Focus

unless, you have something specific that you are trying to comprehend, i am not certain of your OP inquiry because i personally have not read your linked material.

But, if you have a specific, i have no problem with assisting you with 'comprehending' what you are seeking.

Forget the trolls who will perhaps try and tell you to learn english or even that you need 'their' education to understand. Let them fools roll off your back like water on a ducks back. if you have specific interests, try to forumlate a question but first try to read a bit on the exchange of energy between mass.

ie... subquantum kinetics (yet with the concept of evidence to support the model versus the physics of the speed driven drivel)
Bishadi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2011, 07:39 AM   #13
paiute
Graduate Poster

I am immediately turned off on the ether aether either way.

But i will take a look see if you really are interested. Please tell me what you understand of electromagnetism. Entanglement?
Uh oh. This could degenerate into the physics crackpot equivalent of a bum fight video.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Daylightstar
Philosopher

... i personally have not read your linked material.
... you ... first try to read a bit on the exchange of energy between mass.
Nice!

... i have no problem with assisting you with 'comprehending' ...
Note the quotation marks.
Old 8th February 2011, 12:40 PM   #15
Evilgiraffe
Scatterer of X-rays

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
Uh oh. This could degenerate into the physics crackpot equivalent of a bum fight video.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

*Settles down to watch*
Evilgiraffe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2011, 07:58 AM   #16
Bishadi
Banned

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
what do you think the particle-wave duality is?

its like a cock fight (with razor blades on their feet), the 2 teams DO NOT work together!

kind of like chemistry and physics dont mix (relatively speaking)
Old 9th February 2011, 09:15 AM   #17
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Partcles as a result of the confined properties of the waves, there is no real duality. They are waves all the time.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2011, 12:52 PM   #18
Bishadi
Banned

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Partcles as a result of the confined properties of the waves, there is no real duality. They are waves all the time.

that post represents that you dont know the math.

ie.... you apparently dont even know what kinetics even is
Old 9th February 2011, 01:23 PM   #19
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

that post represents that you dont know the math.

ie.... you apparently dont even know what kinetics even is
Um, Bishadi, the waves are waves all the time, they are waves before after and during any interaction.The particle nature is a classical macroscopic view of the interaction of the waveforms. They are energy and they are waves all the time.

Apparently your understanding of physics is lacking, I suppose you think Bose-Einstein condensate doesn't exist? It is a great way of seeing the wave nature of atoms.
Old 9th February 2011, 08:11 PM   #20
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

The flaw with the article in the OP: there's no math, just a bunch of woo-woo words.

Anyone coming up with a modern-day physics "theory" had better serve up the math to back it up, otherwise it isn't worth a second glance. I certainly won't be wasting any more time on it.

*yawn*
Old 9th February 2011, 08:30 PM   #21
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Subquantum Kinetics would appear to allow for arbitrary energy values which would for example result in a stream of gamma rays every time you struck a match.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2011, 08:35 PM   #22
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Subquantum Kinetics would appear to allow for arbitrary energy values which would for example result in a stream of gamma rays every time you struck a match.
Damn, I hate it when that happens!
Old 9th February 2011, 09:30 PM   #23
fuelair
Banned

That there is absolutely no evidence and no mathmatical validation of it would certainly be a start.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2011, 09:35 PM   #24
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Um, Bishadi, Apparently your understanding of physics is lacking, I suppose you think Bose-Einstein condensate doesn't exist? It is a great way of seeing the wave nature of atoms.
Other than the vaguest ability to spell some of the words correctly (by B.), you hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer there.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2011, 05:56 AM   #25
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Other than the vaguest ability to spell some of the words correctly (by B.), you hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer there.
Well to be fair Heisenberg's uncertainty principle applies to my spelling as well.
Old 1st January 2013, 03:28 AM   #26
Nobby123
New Blood

Why did this thread run out of steam?? I was hoping to see an adequate discussion of subquantum kinetics and specifically of Dr LaViolette's theories.
Nobby123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2013, 04:02 AM   #27
Daylightstar
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nobby123 View Post
Why did this thread run out of steam?? I was hoping to see an adequate discussion of subquantum kinetics and specifically of Dr LaViolette's theories.
Your answer is in the previous posts.
Old 1st January 2013, 04:05 AM   #28
Kid Eager
Philosopher

The adequate discussion had taken place, consistent with the merit and plausibility of the "theory".
Old 1st January 2013, 01:40 PM   #29
ben m

There's not much to discuss. LaViolette appears to be a general-issue pseudophysicist, his theories appear to be general-issue pseudoscience handwaving. He's not even particularly prolific or well-known. His attempts to explain "subquantum kinetics" appear to be limited to a three-part 1985 journal article (the journal's web page says this article has been downloaded six times since 2007) and a self-published 1994 book (the listed "publisher", Starlane Publications, operates out of LaViolette's home address and has "published" nothing but three LaViolette books.)

Unless someone shows up claiming to understand, explain, and defend LaViolette's ideas, what is there to discuss?
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:46 AM   #30
quarky
Banned

I miss phlogiston.

Maybe I'm old fashioned.

Still, there's some chance of a background field of a Higg's like particle.

Could become the new ether.

(Doesn't explain ecto-plasm, though. Now that's some cool stuff.)
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology