ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th February 2011, 01:36 AM   #1
buka001
Thinker

Health benefits of Anions?

I've come across one of those power bracelets.

The manufacturer claims they have a silicone band that contains upwards of 1200 anions per cubic cm.

The claim that the body is able to absorb these anions and it benefits the body in improving, circulation, muscle strength, balance and numerous other things.

Ok now the questions.

1) Can silicone be induced or whatever to contain 1200anions per cubic cm. Is that even sceince, is it possible? What about molecular stability etc? (its been 10 years since university chemistry and physics so I'm a little rusty) Does such a machine exist called an anion tester (not some quack machine) that measures the concentration of anions per cubic cm? They have a photo of a little digital device called an Anion Tester. It had the band on it, with the readout showing 1197 anions per cubic cm.

2) Is the human body able to absorb these anions in some way into some system to be able to affect the health of the body in a positive manner?

3) Is there any evidence to support the benefits of anions to ones health?

Assistance in this regard will be greatly appreciated!
Old 18th February 2011, 03:03 AM   #2
23_Tauri
Illuminator

Might as well get this one in before any else does....

The health benefits of onions have been known to mankind for millenia and been used to treat colds and coughs. They contain sulphides that reduce blood pressure and blood lipid levels.

I recommend strapping half a raw onion to your wrist daily. Rub the onion on your skin at regular intervals to ward off inflammation, quacks, unwanted sexual advances and vampires.

It may or may not work for you but one's things for sure: The Onion Band™ will be a damn sight cheaper than an anion power bracelet.

Last edited by 23_Tauri; 18th February 2011 at 03:04 AM.
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2011, 03:26 AM   #3
welshdean
2012 6Nations Grand Slam
-------CHAMPIONS-------

Anions are a the vital tool in the defensive arsenal to protect against Vampires.

Or is it garlic, I never can remember.
Poe's Law!!! im christian if we came from apes how come were not hairy and have a big mouth and did we end up looking like we do know and besides there isnt any serious proof of apes they showd a video saying an ape was wondering around in the forest that thing looked exactly like a costume that i had saw at a store know one ever cought an ape (spelling/punctuation by original author)
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2011, 03:40 AM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Sorry you guys. You got it all wrong. I strongly suggest the OP is serious. There is such a product and it is not related to onions.

Here is a link where you can buy them.
http://www.ioffer.com/si/anion+bracelets

This is what Anions actually are
http://www.launc.tased.edu.au/online...ion/Anions.htm
Quote:
Anions are atoms or groups of atoms that have gained electrons. Having more negatively charged electrons than positively charged protons, they are negatively charged.
The bad news is that it is similar to (read the same as) the power balance. Here is a thread on that subject "Power Balance" bracelets offer refunds & admit no proof of claims

In summary, to answer the OP. They are fake. Save your money.
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Lothian
Penultimate Amazing

As I understand.

Originally Posted by buka001 View Post
1) Can silicone be induced or whatever to contain 1200anions per cubic cm. Is that even sceince, is it possible? What about molecular stability etc? (its been 10 years since university chemistry and physics so I'm a little rusty) Does such a machine exist called an anion tester (not some quack machine) that measures the concentration of anions per cubic cm? They have a photo of a little digital device called an Anion Tester. It had the band on it, with the readout showing 1197 anions per cubic cm.
Yes I think so.

Quote:
2) Is the human body able to absorb these anions in some way into some system to be able to affect the health of the body in a positive manner?
No

Quote:
No
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2011, 03:56 AM   #6
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Anion tester machines http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/anion-tester.html
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2011, 04:15 AM   #7
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Let me add that 1200 anions per cm2 is a very low charge. Since solicone rubber is an excellent isolator, it is quite possible that it could be made to retain a moderate charge more or less permanently.

However, that also means thait it would stay there, and obviously not be transferred to the body. In which case the feeble electrostatic field would have no effect at all.

OR, the ions might somehow be transferred to the body, in which case the the feeble chage would be gone in a few milliseconds, and have no effect at all.

Quote:
They have a photo of a little digital device called an Anion Tester. It had the band on it, with the readout showing 1197 anions per cubic cm.
And how can it know how many cm2 the band is? Ions are measured by the strenght of the electrostatic field, which depends on the number and distance of the ions.

Hans
Old 18th February 2011, 04:24 AM   #8
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

It's just another placebo power balance wallet lightener device. No one would bother selling you a band with any kind of treatment done to it if they know you'll never test it. And if you're seeing an "anion tester" showing a figure at you and a suitably dressed man presenting it (white coat, glasses, attractivish but just the right amount of nerd in the appearance to make you think they're smart) why would you go to the trouble of seeing if they're telling the truth anyway?

It's woo, and not just woo, deliberately fraudulent and scam filled woo. If you want better reflexes or energy levels, exercise, play complex hand eye coordination games and eat well. A silicon band won't do anything.
nvidiot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2011, 10:14 PM   #9
MrBooglemaumau
Critical Thinker

Wink

@ welshdean..Onions good,Garlic definitely better.I grow an awful lot of garlic every year and never seen a vampire....must be something in it.
MrBooglemaumau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Madalch
The Jester

The manufacturer claims they have a silicone band that contains upwards of 1200 anions per cubic cm.

The claim that the body is able to absorb these anions and it benefits the body in improving, circulation, muscle strength, balance and numerous other things.

Ok now the questions.

It's possible for something to contain anions- it will generally contain exactly enough cations to balance the charge. Salt, for example, contains 2.23 x 10^22 anions per cubic centimetre (along with 2.23 x 10^22 cations per cubic centimetre).

These anions have no health benefits whatsoever, even if you could absorb them from a rubber band.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

What about cations? Do they have a role in improving one's health? If they're not part of the solution, are they part of the precipitate?

(I've been waiting almost 5 years to use that line.)
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2011, 11:11 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Ok now the questions.

It's a scam. Hope that helps.
Old 21st February 2011, 03:08 AM   #13
buka001
Thinker

I know that is obviously a scam. I know it is woo. That much is obvious.

I know that it doesn't work. Wouldn't believe so much woo for a split second. Wasn't looking for advice because I was thinking of buying such stupidity.

Was just curious about the apparent "technical" claims it was making about its product.

I want some factual information regarding anions and the ability for silicone to hold them and whether or not the human body can absorb them or not. If it could, would they actually do anything for ones health.

I am aware that you can buy a so called anion tester from Alibaba etc. It comes from China. Is this a legitimate piece of technology, i.e. is it possible to measure anions with machine?

Thank you to some of the posters who added some positive feedback.

Last edited by buka001; 21st February 2011 at 03:12 AM.
buka001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2011, 05:28 AM   #14
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
What about cations?
Only useful if you don't like wrinkled cats.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2011, 03:12 AM   #15
aduarte
New Blood

Does such a machine exist called an anion tester (not some quack machine) that measures the concentration of anions per cubic cm? They have a photo of a little digital device called an Anion Tester. It had the band on it, with the readout showing 1197 anions per cubic cm.
Ion testers are Geiger counters. They detect ionizing radiation, not electrostatic charge.

Ionizing radiation is harmful, not beneficial.

I am aware that you can buy a so called anion tester from Alibaba etc. It comes from China. Is this a legitimate piece of technology, i.e. is it possible to measure anions with machine?
See specifications carefully and you can verify that they are Geiger counters. Chilean actor and bracelet seller Marko Zaror uses Ion Counter COM-3010PRO (available at alibaba.com too). This is a Geiger counter, so he is selling radioactive bracelets. Radiation dose is very small, but is not totally harmless.
aduarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Moochie
Philosopher

@buka001: You can take your tongue out of your cheek now.

Regards,

M.

Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2011, 01:57 AM   #17
Soapy Sam
NLH

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
What about cations? Do they have a role in improving one's health? If they're not part of the solution, are they part of the precipitate?

(I've been waiting almost 5 years to use that line.)
...and you were doing so well...
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal