ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags james randi , ali sina

Old 18th March 2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Flaherty
Critical Thinker

Entertaining exchange b/w Randi and Sina

http://www.mukto-mona.com/Special_Ev...ist_debate.htm
Old 18th March 2004, 12:10 PM   #2
JamesM
Graduate Poster

I feel a bit embarrassed for that Sina guy. He took a bit of an a$$-whupping from the R-man.
JamesM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2004, 01:04 PM   #3
EdipisReks
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesM
I feel a bit embarrassed for that Sina guy.
why? he brought it upon himself.

"I read the Book Of Mormon once. Wasn't it about Uma Thurman, um, thrumming a Theremin?"
--epepke (9-22-2004)
EdipisReks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Blue Monk
Graduate Poster

You know, he started out ok but then suddenly - tweet tweet- left turn.

There's a difference between being open-minded and gullible. It's one thing to accept the possibility of a phenomonem and another to be impressed by TV Entertainment programming and word of mouth unsubstantiated claims.

Lesson learned.

Don't mess with Randi.
Old 18th March 2004, 02:58 PM   #5
RCNelson
Critical Thinker

There's more in the forum at Ali Sina's website.
RCNelson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Yahweh
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by RCNelson
There's more in the forum at Ali Sina's website.
I like this post:
Quote:
I suspect that many people would not submit to such a test because they feel no reason to. When you know you have an ability, you know. There is no reason to validate yourself to anybody else in order to validate yourself.

What science should be doing is not some stupid sensationalist test to prove that somebody or other has a specific ability. Rather, science should be attempting to model how this "stuff" (remote viewing, esp, healing, oob's etc) actually operates.

- marky
The first paragraph stresses that the testing of paranormal abilities is needless, the second paragraph remarks that science should attempt to to "model how this stuff work"... well whats a fella to do but ask WTF...
Yahweh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2004, 10:21 PM   #7
Ratman_tf
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh

I like this post:

The first paragraph stresses that the testing of paranormal abilities is needless, the second paragraph remarks that science should attempt to to "model how this stuff work"... well whats a fella to do but ask WTF...
Whoo! Some rather silly stuff over there. I get the impression that Ali Sina wants us to assign a 50/50 chance to any and every claim! And anyone who doesn't agree is a closed minded cynic. *sniff sniff* smells a bit cultish over there.

-Ruby

---

"God is an invention of Man. So the nature of God is only a shallow mystery. The deep mystery is the nature of Man."
-Nanrei Kobori
Ratman_tf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2004, 10:29 PM   #8
michaellee
Muse

Originally posted by JamesM
Quote:
I feel a bit embarrassed for that Sina guy. He took a bit of an a$$-whupping from the R-man.
The Meeker and Zaman replies were great, especially the former, both strengthened the "a$$-whupping" Sina received.

I agree with Blue Monk about how Sina started out O.K. then crashed. It seemed as if Sina started writing his essay with the intent of trying to appear to be a skeptic, non-believer to his readers. It only took him about half-way through before his true colors were exposed for good. I bet the first half took him 2 days to write, and the last 15 minutes maximum.
michaellee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal