ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags linux

Old 6th March 2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Alan
Illuminator

Linux

Who else uses Linux?

Which distribution/s and desktop environments do you use? What do you think about GNOME 3? Unity?

I hope this could be a big thread about linuxy things.
_______
GNOME 3 looks exciting. I only used it in its alpha stage, and I saw just a few minutes ago that it's gone beta. It will probably be hard to get used to the different ways of interacting with the computer.

I have tried out a lot of distributions but I keep on going back to Ubuntu 10.10. I like it for GNOME's combination of customisability and simplicity, the ease of installing new things on it and its indicators.

Also, Iceweasel in my new Debian 6 install seems to have partially frozen as it lets me type but it doesn't let me switch tabs or move the window, but I can still type and scroll. Stable! And I don't get any audio, so I'm fixing that. I had trouble with the fifth DVD in the installation, so I'm re-downloading that now.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Lolly
discombobulated

The base system is only on the first dvd, I think. The others just contain all of the additional programs you might want to install.

"When particles of evil and iniquity swarm together, they make a Lolly.": Legend
Lolly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 12:35 AM   #3
Alan
Illuminator

It will be good to have it on hand from the beginning in case I need to install anything that's on it. It was very jarring when it wanted me to insert a disc to get something from the software centre. I've connected it to the internet. Do I have to do something to make it download what I want, instead of getting it from a DVD? I went to the software sources but it doesn't let me click on the option it gives to set it up.

I'm also downloading GNOME 3's beta. It's a Live CD, so I can try it out without it interfering with Debian.

Last edited by Alan; 6th March 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Lolly
discombobulated

You need to amend your sources list, but I don't know exactly what you need to do, I only ever install from my discs.

"When particles of evil and iniquity swarm together, they make a Lolly.": Legend
Lolly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 04:24 AM   #5
Alan
Illuminator

Because of the audio problem and some other things like it not wanting to blank discs, I'm partitioning it off and installing Ubuntu on the other partition. I'll still keep Debian but I'll need something that works while I find out how to sort it out.

And I'll try out GNOME3 on a live CD before going to bed and describe my impressions.
Old 6th March 2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

I'm using Linux since the first Yggdrasil CD came out. Then i went with SUSE Linux for a while, had some fun with Debian, and nowdays i'm using Kubuntu. Oh, and i had build my own Linux using LFS twice, just for fun. It's a great learning experience if you want to know what "makes it tick", what depends on what, etc.

For the desktop i use KDE since it's first version. I'm not a big fan of Gnome, it had a lot of inconsistencies in it's appearance (like the arrangement and placement of entries in the menu bar). Also, i don't like their philosophy of "you don't want to have these settings, so we don't put them in". If i want a dumbed down user interface, i would go with a OS-X install

While i also used a Windows (dual-boot setup) in the early days, my only Windows now is a virtual machine that i start up once in a while. And i need that only for using MPLab, when a customer wants me to create some PIC code there. Otherwise i'm exclusively using Linux for a long time now.

As for your package problem: You need to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file. IIRC, they already have the entries included to use repositories on the net, but just commented out. Once you added the proper sources in there, do an "apt-get update" so that the package management retrieves the information about what is available at what source from there. Don't forget to remove (comment-out) the entry for the local CD/DVD.

Greetings,

Chris

Last edited by Christian Klippel; 6th March 2011 at 07:54 AM.
Christian Klippel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 10:40 AM   #7
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Who else uses Linux?

Which distribution/s and desktop environments do you use? What do you think about GNOME 3? Unity?
I use Linux. Started with Slackware in 1995, when I bought a P-1 to upgrade from a 586. That came on 50-odd floppies. Later I switched to RedHat. Now I use Fedora for desktop use and CentOS for server use. I have Ubuntu on my Dell netbook (came pre-installed), on my mom's computer and on the odd virtual machine. I ***** hate Ubuntu's lack of LVM support in their desktop version, so I'm not even contemplating switching over to it for my main desktop or laptop.

Another point is that I like the RPM package management system, and I've extensively written scripts around it. Despite the occasional Ubuntu or Debian install I've done and used, I've never quite gotten the hang of the Debian package management system. Could someone tell me what command-line command tells me "which package does that file belong to"?

I don't care much for eye candy, so I take desktop environments pretty much as they come. So Gnome 2 it is for me now.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I don't really "use" Linux, but I do have several distributions set up in a bunch of virtual machines, for some reason. I guess it's fun to play with and experiment with, sometimes.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 10:56 AM   #9
ShadowSot
Muse

I have Mint and Ubuntu installed on my old laptop, prefer Mint personally. Much prefer it to my Windows 7 netbook I got.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Could someone tell me what command-line command tells me "which package does that file belong to"?
dpkg -S filename

That should do it.

Greetings,

Chris
Christian Klippel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

openSUSE 11.3 with KDE SC 4.6 as of now. But 11.4 is due this week.

I like it because, I feel can get very far with it without being some sort of Linux Guru. YaST makes setting up lots of stuff quite easy, and it's got an ncurses interface that doesn't require X.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 01:29 PM   #12
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Debian Lenny with KDE currently, though I've tried Gnome and Fluxbox here recently. Went back to KDE because of... well, because the other two aren't as convenient for me.

A day or two ago, I downloaded icewm to try that out.

I've been running a GNU/Linux distro since Red Hat 5 (I think) off and on, though only since I got my last box did I move to Linux full time with a virtual WinXP machine but I've been hammering away at Wine and winetricks so even the VM isn't really necessary any more.
Old 6th March 2011, 01:35 PM   #13
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I use Linux. Started with Slackware in 1995, when I bought a P-1 to upgrade from a 586. That came on 50-odd floppies. Later I switched to RedHat. Now I use Fedora for desktop use and CentOS for server use. I have Ubuntu on my Dell netbook (came pre-installed), on my mom's computer and on the odd virtual machine. I ***** hate Ubuntu's lack of LVM support in their desktop version, so I'm not even contemplating switching over to it for my main desktop or laptop.

Another point is that I like the RPM package management system, and I've extensively written scripts around it. Despite the occasional Ubuntu or Debian install I've done and used, I've never quite gotten the hang of the Debian package management system. Could someone tell me what command-line command tells me "which package does that file belong to"?

I don't care much for eye candy, so I take desktop environments pretty much as they come. So Gnome 2 it is for me now.
Caldera to Suse to Ubuntu since 96, with use of BSD, QNX and Solaris a s well. All were fun, ubuntu is a good lazy man's linux, and also one where I dont have to screw with the wifi on my netbook.
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2011, 04:28 PM   #14
Alan
Illuminator

I gave GNOME 3's beta a shot. It's so counter-intuitive. I could get used to it so that other things become counter-intuitive, of course.

I'm really looking forward to OpenSUSE 11.4. I tried out the second beta but I can't remember what I thought of it. Still, I'll give the final release a shot.

Kubuntu 11.04 looks on track to be my favourite KDE distro, though. I don't like YaST. And Pardus 2011 gets a lot of praise but I don't see it. It has wizards? That's not really all that great.

Originally Posted by Christian Klippel View Post
As for your package problem: You need to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file. IIRC, they already have the entries included to use repositories on the net, but just commented out. Once you added the proper sources in there, do an "apt-get update" so that the package management retrieves the information about what is available at what source from there. Don't forget to remove (comment-out) the entry for the local CD/DVD.
Thank you.
Old 6th March 2011, 06:00 PM   #15
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I use linux almost every day; Soon to be every day as we are switching to that at work.

On my netbook I use Ubuntu, and if you want a hassle-free system, that is (currently) it.
Old 6th March 2011, 06:19 PM   #16
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Just downloaded Sabayon and will try it out on my laptop which for now has to be dual booted with Win7.
Old 6th March 2011, 06:56 PM   #17
billw
Muse

In 2007, through a deal at work, I bought a Dell Dimension dual-CPU desktop with Feisty Fawn pre-installed as my main home computer. Currently running Lucid Lynx. Stability has been good, except for some OS upgrade issues when moving to Hardy Heron, and a few annoying grub problems.

-- John Perry Barlow
billw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2011, 08:32 PM   #18
Alan
Illuminator

What do people think about mono? I don't really mind it.
Old 8th March 2011, 02:57 AM   #19
jenspen
Thinker

Originally Posted by Lord Emsworth View Post
openSUSE 11.3 with KDE SC 4.6 as of now. But 11.4 is due this week.

I like it because, I feel can get very far with it without being some sort of Linux Guru. YaST makes setting up lots of stuff quite easy, and it's got an ncurses interface that doesn't require X.
Me too, Lord Emsworth. 2 days to 11.4!

I am interested in all new developments in GUIs so will try Gnome 3 some time or other, as I have tried a number of window managers in the past. But about 8? years ago Gnome stripped out a lot of its configurability and as configuring computers is one of life's little pleasures, I get more fun out of KDE (4.6 at the moment).
jenspen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2011, 03:42 AM   #20
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Funny thing.

I went wild and decided to reinstall my Linux OS, but decided to try something new, so I went for Mint Linux 64bit (based on Debian, not Ubuntu) and it. Just. Worked. Out of the box, it even asked me if I wanted to use the proprietary NVIDIA video drivers. Took less than ten minutes for a full install to a working desktop.

Sabayon on the laptop performed flawlessly and looks gorgeous. Again, out of the box, read my wireless card in the laptop (an older Dell Inspiron 1420) which I've had troubles with when I tried a vanilla Debian Lenny, Fedora 14, Ubuntu (not sure which one) and even a different version of Mint.
Old 8th March 2011, 04:14 AM   #21
Alan
Illuminator

I tried out Linux Mint Debian Edition a few months ago. It took hours to download the updates.
Old 8th March 2011, 04:22 AM   #22
Xero
Thinker

Linux user here. Most PCLinuxOS Gnome on several machines, and linux Mint 10on my netbook and 1 laptop. Most machines dual-boot with XP, but very rarely boot into it, except to make sure it's updated, usually once a month or so. Just did a base install of Ubuntu 10.04 on another laptop, and built it up with only the apps I use. Will be installing Debian 6 (Squeeze on another of the machines when i have some free time. Did it a few weeks ago, but power-supply blew, and can't be bothered right now.

Have used a variety of distros, but quite like Mandriva, Debian, and Fedora. Mostly prefer PCLinuxOS tho, has about every app I want, all in the same repo, and anything not there can be requested. Rolling-release works well, and excellent hardware and multi-media support.

I'm actually quite happy with Gnome in general, and wish the desktop devs would quit changing things for the sake of change. Gnome 3's GUI seems rather counter-intuitive, and more clicks are needed than before just to do simple tasks. I'm not a fan at this point, and won't be rushing to change to it.
Xero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2011, 04:31 AM   #23
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

If you want to learn the nuts and bolts, Slackware. Rock solid, it just flaming works.

Ubuntu if you want something which'll get you up and running quickly.

Haven't run Gnome in a long time, but I remember the hell of trying to download it and compile when it first came out.

KDE 4 is finally maturing into something fairly stable, though I don't generally use much of the bells and whistles.

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 8th March 2011 at 04:34 AM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2011, 04:40 AM   #24
Lolly
discombobulated

Originally Posted by Xero View Post
and wish the desktop devs would quit changing things for the sake of change.
Hear, hear! All I want is something that works and looks ok. When they've got it already, why keep fiddling with it?

Old 8th March 2011, 06:40 AM   #25
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

I tried out Linux Mint Debian Edition a few months ago. It took hours to download the updates.

Took me maybe twenty more minutes for ~250 downloaded package updates. But I was still up and running with audio/video, flash... everything that took me several hours or so of fiddling with a vanilla Debian install.

I'm simply impressed at how well MLDE works. I've got maybe a dozen apps that I use and that's about it as far as my everyday work/play. It's stable, fast, and I can easily tweak it if I feel like.

Now I'm gonna make a few VM's of RHEL, Win7, Server08 so I can study for my certs.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:01 PM   #26
Alan
Illuminator

I'm sure that it was my connection that contributed a lot to the speed.

I am learning commands. The terminal is pretty nifty!

You type in cal 2011 and it shows you the calendar for the year and this also works if you type in any year between 0 and 9999 AD. And if you just type cal, it shows you this month. Right there in the terminal! This is witchcraft.

Tee hee. man date.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:56 AM   #27
Fishstick
Graduate Poster

Tee hee. man date.
If man date goes well you can move on to man fsck and man pipe.
Fishstick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2011, 04:51 AM   #28
Alan
Illuminator

There must be something Linus isn't telling us.
Old 9th March 2011, 05:11 AM   #29
Soapy Sam
NLH

Ubuntu on my Asus901 netbook as it's faster than Win XP.
On my desktop I still have Win 7 as it seems to work fine.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2011, 05:21 AM   #30
laca
Illuminator

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
If you want to learn the nuts and bolts, Slackware. Rock solid, it just flaming works.
Yup. I'm using Slackware64 with Xfce. Lightweight, simple and functional.

I've also used RedHat and Suse in the past, but once you go Slack, you never go back.
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2011, 08:54 AM   #31
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fishstick View Post
If man date goes well you can move on to man fsck and man pipe.
man tail. If you swing this way, you have man ps, man cd, man strip, man time, man touch, man paste . If you need to get rid of the evidence, man kill. If you don't like what you see, there's man nohup.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2011, 10:56 AM   #32
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by laca View Post
Yup. I'm using Slackware64 with Xfce. Lightweight, simple and functional.

I've also used RedHat and Suse in the past, but once you go Slack, you never go back.
racist
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2011, 02:18 PM   #33
not daSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by roger View Post
man tail. If you swing this way, you have man ps, man cd, man strip, man time, man touch, man paste . If you need to get rid of the evidence, man kill. If you don't like what you see, there's man nohup.
You forgot about man mount.

Formerly daSkeptic.
not daSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2011, 03:46 PM   #34
Lord Emsworth

man fsck
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2011, 11:41 PM   #35
laca
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
racist
Did you just call me a racist without capitalization, punctuation, and, most importantly, without a smiley?
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2011, 12:25 AM   #36
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

I guess he's not willing to cut you any Slack.
Old 10th March 2011, 01:40 AM   #37
laca
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
I guess he's not willing to cut you any Slack.
Guess not.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:51 AM   #38
Alan
Illuminator

I'm 7 minutes away from completing this Slackware download.

And I'll be trying out the new openSUSE tomorrow, of course.

How could I get the Me Menu and messaging menu from Ubuntu into other distros? I've done the Me Menu before but I can't remember how.
Old 10th March 2011, 03:35 AM   #39
Lord Emsworth

And I'll be trying out the new openSUSE tomorrow, of course.
Make sure you have the Packman repo, otherwise its kind of bland.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:11 AM   #40
Alan
Illuminator

I didn't like OpenSUSE 11.4 very much... but I forget why.

I'm satisfied with Ubuntu 10.10. It's more comfy.

I'm thinking that I might even stick with 10.10 after 11.04 comes out but I'll see after some betas and the final come out. I'll probably upgrade and then switch between DEs on the login screen as desired.

What do people think of Unity's progress?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet