ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags linux

Old 24th March 2011, 02:10 AM   #41
Captain_Snort
Muse

Pretty much Ubuntu on every computer (laptop, netbook, desktop). Ubuntu on my work PC as I need it on a VM. Also Debian ARM on a pogoplug NAS. µcLinux is on my nintendo DS and I suppose you could also argue on my Android phone. Oh yes, Sony Bravia TV, that is also Linux based.

Started off with Suse 5.3 years ago, then tried Mandrake (too constricting), then Debian, then kubuntu, but I hate kde4, so ubuntu now. As someone mentioned above, if you really want to understand how Linux works, do an LFS install.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:08 AM   #42
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Ubuntu on my Asus901 netbook as it's faster than Win XP.
On my desktop I still have Win 7 as it seems to work fine.
same here, now backtrack4, little buggier but it was an experiment, next one will be something like damn small linux on it for absolute minimalism if I can get the wifi working otherwise, ubuntu will likley return though some of you make a good case for MINT
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2011, 08:09 AM   #43
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by laca View Post
Did you just call me a racist without capitalization, punctuation, and, most importantly, without a smiley?
syke
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2011, 08:12 AM   #44
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Snort View Post
Started off with Suse 5.3 years ago, then tried Mandrake (too constricting), then Debian, then kubuntu, but I hate kde4, so ubuntu now. As someone mentioned above, if you really want to understand how Linux works, do an LFS install.
As a netbook user it seems the best overall as I have yet to have any issues with drivers and the like, I might try xbuntu though just for the difference in look and feel and a lighter desktop. It worked for me during my SuSE period, there was a version that slowed down a lot... and I loaded XFCE as a default desktop which made it more bearable.
Old 25th March 2011, 01:55 PM   #45
Alan
Illuminator

Xubuntu looks better by default than Ubuntu's default.

But XFCE isn't really lightweight anymore.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2011, 02:13 PM   #46
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Ubuntu 10.04 user on my desktop, 10.10 NBR on my netbook (eeepc 1005p).

However, since I already have several problems (ideological) with the 10.04 setup (programs and such), and considering the changes in store (Unity, Banshee), I am seriously considering another step toward Fedora.

The only thing really holding me back is the relatively short support for releases in Fedora (13 months I think). I want to have a long term release at least once every 3 years, because I don't want to be forced to reinstall, just when I have the perfect mix nailed.

Also, If there is any Linux distro out there which has a "rolling release" which is based on Debian (and has a repository that matches that of Ubuntu), I'd be ecstatic. I'd love to be able to just install a distro, customise it, and then just let it sit there, without any risk of the support being stopped in favour of newer versions.

I also like the idea that I can add my favourite repositories, rather than being dependent of the development team.

Cheers

Last edited by Bram Kaandorp; 25th March 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2011, 03:53 PM   #47
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

I do have to say that I don't get the whole "but it's not user friendly" argument people often throw at you when you talk about Linux.

The problem is: That might have been true as recent as 5 years ago (although I don't think so), it is user friendly now.

I shudder at the thought of having to recommend Windows in any household level user. Not simply because of stability (Windows 7 is quite stable as well), but simply because in Linux you have much more possibility (within the confines of legality) to alter the look and feel of the system. I think it's infinitely more important to have a system you can change when there is a need for it, than to have a system everyone else uses (not in the least since programs such as Libre Office and its precursors have levelled the playing field in the compatibility field).

I wouldn't say I adore Linux, because that's something I reserve for living humans, but Linux does have a special place in my mind, somewhere next to the tv-series "Firefly".

Cheers
Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2011, 04:11 PM   #48
Alan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bram Kaandorp View Post
Ubuntu 10.04 user on my desktop, 10.10 NBR on my netbook (eeepc 1005p).

However, since I already have several problems (ideological) with the 10.04 setup (programs and such), and considering the changes in store (Unity, Banshee), I am seriously considering another step toward Fedora.

The only thing really holding me back is the relatively short support for releases in Fedora (13 months I think). I want to have a long term release at least once every 3 years, because I don't want to be forced to reinstall, just when I have the perfect mix nailed.

Also, If there is any Linux distro out there which has a "rolling release" which is based on Debian (and has a repository that matches that of Ubuntu), I'd be ecstatic. I'd love to be able to just install a distro, customise it, and then just let it sit there, without any risk of the support being stopped in favour of newer versions.

I also like the idea that I can add my favourite repositories, rather than being dependent of the development team.

Cheers
Linux Mint Debian Edition is rolling.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

There's also Debian CUT (Constantly Usable Testing) in experimental stage.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/d...lling-release/

By ideological objections and Banshee, are you referring to mono, and/or the GNOME donation kerfuffle, or something else?

Last edited by Alan; 25th March 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2011, 04:44 PM   #49
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Linux Mint Debian Edition is rolling.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

There's also Debian CUT (Constantly Usable Testing) in experimental stage.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/d...lling-release/

By ideological objections and Banshee, are you referring to mono, and/or the GNOME donation kerfuffle, or something else?
It's mainly mono, though not primarily because of Microsoft. It's simply that I don't like the program.

I have this simple rule by which I judge whether I want to keep on using a distro:

If it takes more time to customise the new release, than the old release, based on changes to the release, then it's time to start thinking about moving on.

Cheers
Old 25th March 2011, 05:44 PM   #50
mikeyx
Banned

Xubuntu looks better by default than Ubuntu's default.

But XFCE isn't really lightweight anymore.
yeah I noticed that, shame really, I am playing with tinycore right now, doing a minimalist thing in virtualbox.
Old 25th March 2011, 07:21 PM   #51
Pythonic
Thinker

Ubuntu. On the current release. I've used others over the years, though. Slackware, Mandriva, Redhat...
Pythonic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2011, 05:36 AM   #52
Captain_Snort
Muse

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
yeah I noticed that, shame really, I am playing with tinycore right now, doing a minimalist thing in virtualbox.
XFCE used to be about 30mb download in total and easily compilable by hand. I do like the look of E17 when it gets finished... Bit like Duke nukem forever in the time it is taking. It is lightweight, fast and has lots of pretties.
Old 26th March 2011, 05:49 AM   #53
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

I didn't like OpenSUSE 11.4 very much... but I forget why.
Works fine here. Only thing were the PulseAudio hiccups (literally), but that was easily solve by just kicking it (figuratively).
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2011, 08:13 AM   #54
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

I use Ubuntu 10.10 on virtualbox. I've been recently considering a switch to a dual-boot system, but with my software needs in architecture studio I'll never truly be able to leave windows behind

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 26th March 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: changed 11.04 linux to 10.10, made an error
Grizzly Bear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2011, 12:41 PM   #55
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Snort View Post
XFCE used to be about 30mb download in total and easily compilable by hand. I do like the look of E17 when it gets finished... Bit like Duke nukem forever in the time it is taking. It is lightweight, fast and has lots of pretties.
I actually miss the old days and Enlightenment when a new theme changed the whole look and feel, it was freakin cool lookin
Old 27th March 2011, 01:46 AM   #56
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I switched to dual-boot at the beginning of the year. I now run Slackware with fluxbox as the WM while Windows Vista ensures that I don't have too much spare space on my hard drive.

Far from being difficult to use, slackware can be set up to be fool proof. Up until a couple of months ago, my SO needed lessons on how to press the on-off button on her laptop. Since I set up Slackware on her laptop, she never has to ask me for help.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2011, 02:15 AM   #57
AgeGap
Master Poster

I am not a power user but I have used a few distros. I am using Debian 6 at the moment.(Iceweasel anyone?)
I have also had problems with Ubuntu. Unity 3D will not make things any easier for my outdated machine. If anyone has 10.10 working may I suggest an upgrade to Ubuntu SE.

Linux Podcast I like to listen to.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2011, 08:29 AM   #58
summand
Scholar

I'm using Ubuntu for a couple of weeks now and I am pretty happy with it. Had some hiccups because some tools work differently, but got everything that I need to work(sometimes with Wine).
summand is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2011, 09:42 AM   #59
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I switched to dual-boot at the beginning of the year. I now run Slackware with fluxbox as the WM while Windows Vista ensures that I don't have too much spare space on my hard drive.

Far from being difficult to use, slackware can be set up to be fool proof. Up until a couple of months ago, my SO needed lessons on how to press the on-off button on her laptop. Since I set up Slackware on her laptop, she never has to ask me for help.
Bob Dobbs FTW!

Out of interest what apps does she/do you use? I find myself pretty much only using Firefox, Dolphin, Xine and Amarok (occasionally kaudiocreator) apart from various command line utilities.
Old 31st March 2011, 05:16 PM   #60
Alan
Illuminator

I am listening to TuxRadar now. I also listen to Linux Outlaws and the Linux Action Show. I've also listened a bit to a lot of other podcasts but Linux Outlaws is my favourite. And the UK Ubuntu podcast seems pretty good too but I haven't listened to much of it yet.

I'm downloading elementaryOS now, and Ubuntu 11.04's first beta. I have already downloaded and burned Kubuntu 11.04's first beta and gave it a shot with its liveCD.
Old 31st March 2011, 05:40 PM   #61
Mister Earl
Illuminator

I'd like to switch to a linux environment, but I do a ton of PC gaming. Is there a linux platform that'll let me play them still? I know next to nothing about linux.
Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2011, 03:25 AM   #62
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

As far as commercial PC games go, there are some that can be played using WINE [1] or its dedicated gaming offshoot, Cedega [2]. Both should work on the majority of Linux distros out there. There have been some titles which have been ported to Linux directly. But I think it's seen as a miniscule segment of the market with Linux users viewed rightly or wrongly as unlikely to shell out for games.

Of course there are tons of non-commercial games written for Linux and other Unix-like platforms.

[1] - http://www.winehq.org/

[2] - http://www.transgaming.com/
Old 1st April 2011, 03:50 AM   #63
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
As far as commercial PC games go, there are some that can be played using WINE [1] or its dedicated gaming offshoot, Cedega [2]. Both should work on the majority of Linux distros out there. There have been some titles which have been ported to Linux directly. But I think it's seen as a miniscule segment of the market with Linux users viewed rightly or wrongly as unlikely to shell out for games.

Of course there are tons of non-commercial games written for Linux and other Unix-like platforms.

Then there are those games which have an official Linux Installer available, games such as Quake Wars.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2011, 05:24 AM   #64
Alan
Illuminator

Has anybody else tried elementary?

I'm installing it on a partition now. Its default theme and its set of default wallpapers make it the best looking GNOME distro when you boot it up for the first time.

It also has the messaging indicator and memenu so that's another big plus. It also comes with a lot fewer things installed, so they don't have some things that I normally just uninstall. It's closer to Ubuntu than Mint is.

They (THEM AGAIN!?) have made it so it is harder to reconfigure things. Want to change the wallpaper? You can't right click on the desktop to do this. You have to go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance. They took away the Docky configuration icon and right-clicking on the dock doesn't give the option to configure it either. And right-clicking on the panel doesn't give me an add to panel option.

And the scroll bars are terrible. Too thin. I don't mind the lack of buttons for them.
Old 1st April 2011, 06:00 AM   #65
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

They (THEM AGAIN!?) have made it so it is harder to reconfigure things. Want to change the wallpaper? You can't right click on the desktop to do this. You have to go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance. They took away the Docky configuration icon and right-clicking on the dock doesn't give the option to configure it either. And right-clicking on the panel doesn't give me an add to panel option.

And the scroll bars are terrible. Too thin. I don't mind the lack of buttons for them.
Are you referring to elementary, Ubuntu or both?
Old 1st April 2011, 06:06 AM   #66
Alan
Illuminator

Elementary.

EDIT: It doesn't even let me put something on the desktop. There's the option to send to the desktop when you right-click on an icon, but it doesn't actually send it to the desktop. It puts it in the home directory among the folders for videos and downloads. And dragging and dropping doesn't work either.

And I can't open up Docky's settings to at least put it on autohide or window dodge or to stop it acting like a panel. If I maximise a window, there are two big rectangles of my wallpaper on the bottom since the window won't go lower than the top of the dock that covers only a third of the space.

I recommend people avoid Elementary OS. My first impressions of it were very good so I installed it on a partition but beyond those first impressions, it's a big disappointment.

Last edited by Alan; 1st April 2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 1st April 2011, 07:12 AM   #67
alphahelix
Thinker

I don't have a linux Os for personal everyday use. I have a few distros that I use for specific purposes

Gentoo - PXE boot with NSF fileserver Fluxbox Wine for Windows virus/*ware/recovery
Freebsd - Fluxbox Mencoder Dvdauthor Transcode for video conversion/frame dumping

And then there is a Redhat 7.2 Server at a customer site we're responsible for (we didn't install it, we just have to maintain until they are comfortable enough for us to bring them up to a current linux OS)

I gave Debian a try their package system reminded me too much of BSD
Fedora I like, but it feels to bloated for my taste so did Mandrake hadn't fooled with it in a while.

I used Slackware for a while but when I got the courage up to attempt the Gentoo install, and learned how to use the emerge system I fell in love.

Never tried Ubuntu or Suse really don't have opinions on them

And Played a lil with Open Solarius it just didn't give me the warm fuzzy I wanted from an OS
alphahelix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2011, 08:26 AM   #68
mikeyx
Banned

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post

Havent gamed on linux for a while but at one point half Life and UnReal Tournbament played very well under wine as did some others, one game however blew the hell out of my x server, so hopefully things have improved since then.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:30 AM   #69
mikeyx
Banned

I stated this before, my current linuxy interest is tinycore, it gives you just the bare bones and then you add what you want/need, and dont have anything ya don't. It seems a fairly low maintenance so far.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:47 AM   #70
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Elementary.

EDIT: It doesn't even let me put something on the desktop. There's the option to send to the desktop when you right-click on an icon, but it doesn't actually send it to the desktop. It puts it in the home directory among the folders for videos and downloads. And dragging and dropping doesn't work either.

And I can't open up Docky's settings to at least put it on autohide or window dodge or to stop it acting like a panel. If I maximise a window, there are two big rectangles of my wallpaper on the bottom since the window won't go lower than the top of the dock that covers only a third of the space.

I recommend people avoid Elementary OS. My first impressions of it were very good so I installed it on a partition but beyond those first impressions, it's a big disappointment.
Wow, it's a miracle that anyone even wanted to MAKE this distro, let alone use it.

Even in Windows you can change the place of the menu bar (whatever it's named).

Thanks for the description.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:48 AM   #71
Lord Emsworth

Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
I'd like to switch to a linux environment, but I do a ton of PC gaming. Is there a linux platform that'll let me play them still? I know next to nothing about linux.
You can always dual-boot and/or run a virtualized Win.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2011, 12:31 PM   #72
tuoni
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
I run back|track 4 R2 - have a look at PlayOnLinux - it's basically a wrapper for WINE which allows you to install Windows software into "bottles" (basically atomic "windows installations", for want of a better description) which allow you to customise each bottle to suit the software installed - it allows you to, for instance, seamlessly install and choose a WINE version (including the beta builds and no longer supported builds) for each without disrupting the main system WINE version. I've currently got Steam with a few games including Portal and Killing Floor running A-OK with full DirectX9 (ironically, Killing Floor actually runs far better under WINE than it did under Windows 7!)

The other beauty is that PlayOnLinux gives you several automated installers for games and Windows software which will set up all the dependencies and "tweaks" in the background, allowing you to run many things "out of the box", as it were... and if you mess it up, you can delete the bottle and start again, knowing that you haven't messed up your WINE installation, causing other things to break. If it doesn't have the installer, you can install stuff anyway and just cross your fingers it will work. Most things do, now - WINE has come on a looooong way since I last used it.
!M-- !V-- PS+ PE++ Y++>$ PGP+++ t- 5- X++ R* tv- b++ DI++ D++ G+ e++
h++(-) r y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
tuoni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2011, 02:43 PM   #73
Alan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bram Kaandorp View Post
Wow, it's a miracle that anyone even wanted to MAKE this distro, let alone use it.

Even in Windows you can change the place of the menu bar (whatever it's named).

Thanks for the description.
I read a comment by one of the main people behind it, saying that there are already things you can customise and he wants to make something that just works in the best way, and if you want customisability then go for a different one. The problem is, he left out key functions.

It's possible to uninstall the dock and install a different dock like AWN. I tried to install the normal panel window buttons but those didn't work for me.

I'll install Kubuntu 11.04 beta 1 over it.
Old 1st April 2011, 02:48 PM   #74
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

I read a comment by one of the main people behind it, saying that there are already things you can customise and he wants to make something that just works in the best way, and if you want customisability then go for a different one. The problem is, he left out key functions.
They left out customisability, in my eyes that's the main driving force behind Linux in general.

It's also one of the reasons I will leave Ubuntu when they make Unity the default. (I think I'd rather try my luck with Gnome Shell)

But I'm guessing that's not the feature(s) you were talking about. I'm curious.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2011, 02:59 PM   #75
Alan
Illuminator

The lack of customisability was my initial major problem with it. That post was looking at it from the perspective of the aims of the project, and that they failed on that basis too.

I don't have a problem with some distros trying to be less customisable because that is one way of offering greater freedom. There could be situations where a person could want that.
Old 1st April 2011, 03:17 PM   #76
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

The lack of customisability was my initial major problem with it. That post was looking at it from the perspective of the aims of the project, and that they failed on that basis too.

I don't have a problem with some distros trying to be less customisable because that is one way of offering greater freedom. There could be situations where a person could want that.
Absolutely true. I really could see the advantages. However (I hate it when I can't avoid that word), I think there should be an easy way (though not necessarily easy to get to) way of unlocking, if only so that, if someone has a maintenance person, it would be easy to change things where needed.

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:24 PM   #77
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by mikeyx View Post
I stated this before, my current linuxy interest is tinycore, it gives you just the bare bones and then you add what you want/need, and dont have anything ya don't. It seems a fairly low maintenance so far.
If you just want to boot off a CD without installing linux then tinycore is an excellent candidate (though you will need to save some files to hard disk if you add any software to it).

If you want to boot off a CD but not do any extra installation then Puppy Linux seems to be one of the better distros.

For a more comprehensive distro, Salix (a slackware offshoot) can also be run solely from a CD.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 01:35 AM   #78
AgeGap
Master Poster

I didn't like OpenSUSE 11.4 very much... but I forget why.

I'm satisfied with Ubuntu 10.10. It's more comfy.

I'm thinking that I might even stick with 10.10 after 11.04 comes out but I'll see after some betas and the final come out. I'll probably upgrade and then switch between DEs on the login screen as desired.

What do people think of Unity's progress?
Just run the live CD of OpenSuse 11.4 and it it has a gorgeous desktop background. A real work of art.

Natty Narwhal with Unity: Worst Ubuntu beta ever

If you have a windows machine and want to give linux a go you can download LiLi USB creator. This will get a distro on one of your USB sticks. Worth doing even for that odd system crash.

Just read about Bodhi Linux. A stripped down version of Ubuntu with enlightenment desktop. May give that a go soon.

Last edited by AgeGap; 4th April 2011 at 02:00 AM.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2011, 05:43 AM   #79
Alan
Illuminator

I really liked the OpenSUSE 11.4's wallpaper. That wallpaper is a green version of some other KDE wallpaper I've seen, with the logo and name added. I tend to dislike branding on my wallpaper but that one didn't bother me.

I think that the big annoyances in 11.04 can be removed in time. Oh dear, it's already 11.04. Hmmmm....

GNOME 3 is just two days away (suggestions of it being delayed appear to be untrue) so that's exciting.
Old 4th April 2011, 05:56 AM   #80
Lord Emsworth

Originally Posted by AgeGap View Post
Just run the live CD of OpenSuse 11.4 and it it has a gorgeous desktop background. A real work of art.
I really liked the OpenSUSE 11.4's wallpaper. That wallpaper is a green version of some other KDE wallpaper I've seen, with the logo and name added. I tend to dislike branding on my wallpaper but that one didn't bother me.
It is not just the background of the desktop, it is also the background of the virtual console tty1, i.e what you get when you hit Crtl+Alt+F1. A verbose boot looks ... sexy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet